Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's Stephen King's favorite adaptation of any of his work.

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

Gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's Stephen King's favorite adaptation of any of his work.

mine, is Maximum Overdrive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VaultAggie posted:

Stand by me is now up on Netflix, or at least I just noticed it on there.
It's one of my all time favorite movies, with fun characters and childhood shenanigans. It also have River Phoenix in it, and his performance is great.
And after watching Stand By Me (again), you should watch Mud, which is Stand by Me crossed with Huck Finn, with Matt McConaghey playing as Jim.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

mine, is Maximum Overdrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGsT7VSugg&t=5s

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80018697?trkid=13752289

:ughh:

Where's that gif of Ogre shouting "NEEERRRDDSS!"?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Erebus posted:

As far as looking for bad movies to watch, I think I've realized Netflix is not the best place to go.

Amazon has a category for 'lowest rated movies on IMDB' on the Instant Prime part of the site. It's pretty bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

coyo7e posted:

:ughh:

This is definitely a thing. Last month my university's paper had an article on the school's team.

edit: Found it. http://www.thedaonline.com/news/article_1cebf38e-3c8f-11e4-adb1-0017a43b2370.html

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Didn't think I saw this mentioned yet, but the puppet sitcom Dinosaurs is on Netflix. I guess it was the last thing Jim Henson was working on before he died. I remember loving it as a child, and watching it now I'm surprised how adult friendly it is with humor. Highly recommended if you miss the 90s.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Clap posted:

Good lord, no. No, no, no, no, no.

It's borderline enjoyable until the final sequence, which renders the film incomprehensible and weak. I thought the characters worked well and I enjoyed their rapport for the most part but the final sequence throws out almost all of the characterization in favor of "evil mind stuff".

I can't make this up. The villain is, without any exaggeration, "spooky wilderness mind stuff". We must keep it at bay! Protect everyone from this madness! Protagonists simply stumbling upon latent evil is one of the laziest plot devices that a horror movie can use - where's the motivation? Why would the protagonists feel obligated to do anything about it? Because it starts loving with them, so they must gently caress with it back?

It's the the kind of movie that is watchable for a while until it starts dropping little hints of where it's going and you just have to watch in anti-horror (because it isn't scary) as it becomes an awful, lovely mess of a film before your eyes.

Do not watch Mr. Jones. It is a waste of time and will likely only make you angry. If you want great found footage, watch Grave Encounters and its sequel.

precision posted:

Well without going too much into it I think you completely missed the entire point of the film and what the "spooky wilderness stuff" actually even was.

It was explicitly the world where nightmares take place, and almost all of the last sequence is literally a dream. It's one of the most effective portrayals of how disorienting and odd dreams are that I've seen. The main character was drawn to the location because he had to become the next "Mr. Jones". The people that Mr. Jones sends his totems to are people at risk of breaking down the barrier between dreams and reality. The one guy who destroyed his totem is literally living in a constant nightmare. Scott and Penny's sex scene is an implication that Scott had to pass down whatever makes him crazy/special (the reason he was on medication).

I mean if you didn't like it that's fine but you definitely misunderstood what happened apparently.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I will watch Mr. Jones tonight and settle this once and for all.

I finally did this. Mr. Jones sucked. The main character is an unlikable douchebag for one. I was interested in the beginning but it slowly got worse and worse. The climax was ok I guess, but the thing that bothered me most was the fact that nothing bad actually happened to anyone. They saw a few spooky things though. One thing I did like was the implication that maybe when he got back to the cabin, his girlfriend wasn't real. So who did he bang?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

I am watching the gently caress out of this, holy poo poo. I'm already laughing.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I know people were talking about Thief a couple of pages back, it just started on the MGM channel if anyone wanted to catch it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Phase IV is up on US netflix now, and it owns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Can't wait to get Harakiri in the mail and then double-feature it with the Takashi Miike remake. I wish Gozu was streaming, too. Oh well, looks like about good a time as any to finally watch Ichi the Killer.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

a foolish pianist posted:

Phase IV is up on US netflix now, and it owns.

Oh holy gently caress yes.

Phase IV is the only feature film that Saul Bass ever held a directing credit for and it owns.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I know The Burbs has already been mentioned, but I finally got around to putting it on since I remembered loving it. I had forgotten all about the Universal Pictures Earth zoom that they did in the opening. It still looks pretty good.

Anyway, while I was searching online to see if anyone knew where they zoomed in (imdb says it appears to be a suburb of Des Moines), I found a whole forum dedicated solely to this movie. I know I shouldn't be surprised because it is the internet and anything gets loving :spergin: to the nth degree but jeeze man.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My girlfriend and I are looking for the right movie and we aren't quite sure what it is. Princess Bride is pretty much what we want, but we last watched it a month or two ago so we'd like to try something new. Something a little warmer and brighter than Stardust, funnier than Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me, while still being like a downtempo Grand Budapest Hotel. It doesn't have to be Netflix though, Amazon Prime is good too.

p.s. We are baked out of our minds but we don't generally love stoner comedies. For reference I really enjoyed The Yellow Sea, Snowpiercer, and Zodiac while high.

K. Waste posted:

Can't wait to get Harakiri in the mail and then double-feature it with the Takashi Miike remake. I wish Gozu was streaming, too. Oh well, looks like about good a time as any to finally watch Ichi the Killer.

I bought the Criterion Collection bluray of the original a few months ago, but I haven't got around to watching it yet. The remake is one of my top 10 films of all time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

edit /\/\/\ WOAH /\/\/\ let me know what you guys end up watching :catdrugs:

yall should just watch microcosm

I'm also looking for the right movie, and by that I mean something terrible and slapstickey and just, just awful. I love stoner/late night comedies, black comedies (friday, how high, house party, the wash) national lampoons comedies (dorm daze, senior trip) etc etc.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 13, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No matter what anyone says don't watch Detention

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Anyway, while I was searching online to see if anyone knew where they zoomed in (imdb says it appears to be a suburb of Des Moines), I found a whole forum dedicated solely to this movie. I know I shouldn't be surprised because it is the internet and anything gets loving :spergin: to the nth degree but jeeze man.
Well come on, make with the link already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the answer to "what should I watch" is usually Dredd

edit or every episode of Parks and Recreation

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 13, 2014

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Watch return of the killer tomatoes.

You'll probably have to rent it but it's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking for the right movie and we aren't quite sure what it is. Princess Bride is pretty much what we want, but we last watched it a month or two ago so we'd like to try something new. Something a little warmer and brighter than Stardust, funnier than Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me, while still being like a downtempo Grand Budapest Hotel. It doesn't have to be Netflix though, Amazon Prime is good too.

Warmer and brighter than Stardust?! That movie is like :3: incarnate.

Maybe try Eagle vs. Shark? It's in the quirky Wes Anderson ballpark and I seem to recall liking it a lot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No matter what anyone says don't watch Detention

Detention loving owned.

precision posted:

Unfortunately, the cinematography doesn't always match.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

A MIRACLE posted:

edit /\/\/\ WOAH /\/\/\ let me know what you guys end up watching :catdrugs:

yall should just watch microcosm

I'm also looking for the right movie, and by that I mean something terrible and slapstickey and just, just awful. I love stoner/late night comedies, black comedies (friday, how high, house party, the wash) national lampoons comedies (dorm daze, senior trip) etc etc.

I recommend Top Secret! Hilarious movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is definitely a thing. Last month my university's paper had an article on the school's team.

edit: Found it. http://www.thedaonline.com/news/article_1cebf38e-3c8f-11e4-adb1-0017a43b2370.html
Sprinting around while holding a 5' long piece of wood between your legs and trying to grab a ball in a scrum - what could possibly go wrong?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

the answer to "what should I watch" is usually Dredd

edit or every episode of Parks and Recreation

Yes this.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Or 30 Rock.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqycijBUn0

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Amelie is still on Netflix so it is the reigning queen of :3: incarnate.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked Hook but I recently learned a lot of people hated that movie so I dunno. Of course after what happened with Robin Williams I'm sure everyone will love it now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Amelie is still on Netflix so it is the reigning queen of :3: incarnate.

Amelie is one of the most hosed up and twisted films ever.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I liked Hook but I recently learned a lot of people hated that movie so I dunno. Of course after what happened with Robin Williams I'm sure everyone will love it now

Hook is great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hook is really sad in the middle, like most Robin Williams films.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh cool, Tim Burton's Batman is up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Goobish posted:

Didn't think I saw this mentioned yet, but the puppet sitcom Dinosaurs is on Netflix. I guess it was the last thing Jim Henson was working on before he died. I remember loving it as a child, and watching it now I'm surprised how adult friendly it is with humor. Highly recommended if you miss the 90s.

At the very least everyone should watch the last episode that poo poo is depressing for a 90s family show.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Eagle vs. Shark didn't do it for us at all so now we are on Stardust. It isn't quite scratching the itch, but it is better than nothing.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Pay to rent return of the killer tomatoes if you can.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You should watch In Bruges as long as you think you'll pass out before the ending

E: or watch The Informant!

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 13, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Wow the burbs is so so good you guys, awesome party movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

p.s. We are baked out of our minds but we don't generally love stoner comedies. For reference I really enjoyed The Yellow Sea, Snowpiercer, and Zodiac while high.

I bought the Criterion Collection bluray of the original a few months ago, but I haven't got around to watching it yet. The remake is one of my top 10 films of all time.

I'd go with Joe vs The Volcano

• Locked thread