Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did the show ever pay respects to James Rebhorn? Seems like they've just dropped Carrie's dad off the face of the earth without a send off or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm also not entirely sure what their goal is. Destabilize the local CIA presence long enough for the terrorist to carry out his plan? Then kidnapping Saul to draw the CIA director to the region seems like a bad idea. Just keep taking out station chiefs until the CIA decides to leave Pakistan? Seems like a reach. Drug her up, kidnap her, and try to pump her for information? They already had the previous station chief passing them info and decided to kill him, plus they have an active spy inside the embassy.

My current theory is that Khan is actually one of the good guys, or at least not aligned with ISI lady's agenda. I think he had his guys pick Carrie up when they saw her freaking out in public, and had her brought to the mansion so they could meet in private. Something about his behavior in that last scene just gave me the impression that he was confused by her condition, not like he was one of the people responsible for it.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I'm also not entirely sure what their goal is. Destabilize the local CIA presence long enough for the terrorist to carry out his plan? Then kidnapping Saul to draw the CIA director to the region seems like a bad idea. Just keep taking out station chiefs until the CIA decides to leave Pakistan? Seems like a reach. Drug her up, kidnap her, and try to pump her for information? They already had the previous station chief passing them info and decided to kill him, plus they have an active spy inside the embassy.

My current theory is that Khan is actually one of the good guys, or at least not aligned with ISI lady's agenda. I think he had his guys pick Carrie up when they saw her freaking out in public, and had her brought to the mansion so they could meet in private. Something about his behavior in that last scene just gave me the impression that he was confused by her condition, not like he was one of the people responsible for it.

I thought of that too, but then I was reminded of the straightjacket Carries was in. Why would they have the jacket ready for her unless they knew she has mental issues?

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

I'm thinking the same.
There's definitely a vibe that Khan is a good guy and that he is not aware of the other ISI girl doing all the back handed stuff, in fact I think that she is probably going rogue here.
He seemed genuinely surprised when Saul asked if he had ordered the hit on the station chief.
I liked these past two episodes, and it seems like the show is starting to go somewhere now.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

Binary Logic posted:

Okay, first let me say I really liked this episode, everyone is basically mind-loving everyone else in some way. And Saul's got balls for speaking to Haqqani the way he did at the dinner table.
BUT...
that was some very high level 4th dimensional chess going on.
1. Get the ambassador's husband to switch Mathison's meds with some type of psychotic so that
2. She will become unstable and start tripping and then instead of seeking medical help or just sleeping it off she will
3.leave the embassy compound, trying to find Aayan's girlfriend and
4. eventually the 'bad' Pakistan intelligence agents will spot her on the street and they can grab her and
5. take her to Aasar Khan's home.

Maybe they do this all the time and know how to make the old Rx drug switcheroo achieve this result but it seemed to me that a lot had to go their way for their plan to work.

I think they only planned for 1 and 2, everything else was just a happy accident. I'm also not 100% certain Khan is working with the rogue elements of ISI and the Taliban.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hingehead posted:

I thought of that too, but then I was reminded of the straightjacket Carries was in. Why would they have the jacket ready for her unless they knew she has mental issues?

My theory is that he had no idea what the ISI lady's plan is/was, but found out Carrie had been picked up and so he pulled some strings to get her released into his custody. I think ISI chick is just trying to get the CIA to back down in Pakistan, or at least get someone in power who will play by her rules.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Homeland was renewed for another season / 12 more episodes. I will be watching season 5.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ I'm on board too.

HOT SQUATS posted:

I think they only planned for 1 and 2, everything else was just a happy accident. I'm also not 100% certain Khan is working with the rogue elements of ISI and the Taliban.

What would be their endgame - to get rid of Mathison? Is Redmond their mole who they want to become station chief? He (the actor) is fantastic casting and script, so good at not letting anyone know what he's really thinking or feeling.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Hingehead posted:

How do we know she was really wearing a straightjacket and that that wasn't just her hallucinating and she was just wearing handcuffs. Weird for secret service agents to be carrying around a straightjacket in the first place, no?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That ambadssadors boy-toy sure had few qualms about getting hung for treason.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Magic Mango posted:

How do we know she was really wearing a straightjacket and that that wasn't just her hallucinating and she was just wearing handcuffs. Weird for secret service agents to be carrying around a straightjacket in the first place, no?

Hah, good point! The straightjacket could be a red herring then. The episode is still doing a good job loving with our head.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I don't think my own thoughts and emotions have ever mirrored a fictional character's as much as in that scene. "No way...but.. but is it real? No, it can't be... How would that even be possible? But it seems real..."

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

Deakul posted:

Did the show ever pay respects to James Rebhorn? Seems like they've just dropped Carrie's dad off the face of the earth without a send off or anything.

No, and that bothered me too. Rebhorn was a good actor and Carrie's dad was one of his few likable characters, I'm going to miss them both.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy gently caress this last episode was incredible

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

HOT SQUATS posted:

No, and that bothered me too. Rebhorn was a good actor and Carrie's dad was one of his few likable characters, I'm going to miss them both.

There was one line from Carrie's sister when they were arguing about the baby, how "we both know Dad isn't doing his part" taking care of the baby. That was it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This show continues to be completely unpredictable and surprising every season. We've all seen that baby in the tub scene 20 times across various shows and movies, but this was the first time my eyes actually widened because holy poo poo Carrie might actually drown her baby in this show. Then this last episode, holy poo poo what a mindfuck. I can't really stop watching even if they drag Dana back in somehow.

Ero
Jun 18, 2006
Ahhhhhhhh so much tension

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010
I don't care how bad the ratings are or how bad the critics think it is, this show continues to be great. The Pakistani guy helping Carrie is fantastic and I think it's great that they turned Carrie's poisoning into like 5 minutes of content while Saul escaped.

Lockhart felt different to me this episode. He made a joke early on about a T that he had forgotten (which I thought was funny) and he calmly delivered the final message that all of Haqqani's demands would be met. It's definitely less reprehensible than all the other Lockhart's we've seen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I can't really stop watching even if they drag Dana back in somehow.

Don't say things you can't take back.

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010
Dana was fine. Chris was the character that anybody could hate and want to die

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
I laughed so hard when Saul cursed Carries out for leading him to the Taliban. Poor bastard. Also I was bothered he didn't loving bothered to wear traditional local pakistani/islamic clothes instead of sticking out like an obvious westerner prisoner.

lightishred
Aug 11, 2010

Hingehead posted:

I laughed so hard when Saul cursed Carries out for leading him to the Taliban. Poor bastard. Also I was bothered he didn't loving bothered to wear traditional local pakistani/islamic clothes instead of sticking out like an obvious westerner prisoner.

Well, he had just escaped from the Taliban's custody; he didn't have a lot of time to go clothes shopping unless the CIA asset had offered him traditional garb.
And do you think Carrie led him to that gathering of Taliban intentionally or was he actually surrounded and going to be captured regardless of Carrie's directions?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This show is so bad I can't believe it was greenlit for another season.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Saul's failed escape had me by the edge of my seat. So intense!

I can't wait for that goober mole to get caught and interrogated by Carrie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

This show is so bad I can't believe it was greenlit for another season.

The last 2 episodes have been pretty good, but the deluge of crap that was episode 1-6 and the romance with the Pakistani kid/MD student was really bad. Carrie being unable to kill Saul was pretty good acting, but the constant "who can we trust" thing is getting annoying. I've barely paid attention to Duck being a clumsy spy, but the way they play up smug Intel Pakistani lady I can't tell if they're building up for a "she gets served hard" or gets away scot free.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

The last 2 episodes have been pretty good, but the deluge of crap that was episode 1-6 and the romance with the Pakistani kid/MD student was really bad. Carrie being unable to kill Saul was pretty good acting, but the constant "who can we trust" thing is getting annoying. I've barely paid attention to Duck being a clumsy spy, but the way they play up smug Intel Pakistani lady I can't tell if they're building up for a "she gets served hard" or gets away scot free.

Nah its all high velocity hot chocolate all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
that eps was dope

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Not gonna call this a great season but this was the best episode the show's had in a long time. The image of Carrie pleading with an uncanny image that was being fed to her by a drone is right in line with the core of what this show was about in its first season

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next week's prisoner exchange is gonna be some sheeeeeeeyit, from what I could tell in the preview.

This season is lightyears better than the last. Mrs. Brody and her kids being gone goes a long way in making it so good.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Thoroughly enjoyed this last ep. The writers are really able to fly just close enough to the sun when they keep up the pacing and not have Carrie be a complete fucktard. I find it hard to believe though that Khan would ever in a million years tell her that Duck was the mole...he has to know that she would never do the same if the tables were turned.

Also can anyone read Urdu? I wanna know what exactly ISI lady's text said

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Khan clearly does not like the ISI woman and damaging her will score him points to move up the ladder.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Leviathan posted:

Also can anyone read Urdu? I wanna know what exactly ISI lady's text said
According to reddit it said "American Soldiers spotted."
http://www.reddit.com/r/homeland/comments/2mj27f/what_did_the_arabic_text_say/

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Can we please change the thread title to "Homeland Season 4: High velocity hot chocolate, all the time"

(Even if the last 2 eps have actually been alright)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Poor Saul. That was a pretty good escape attempt by him.

They should've had Saul get captured at the start of the season. His scenes have been great.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Good episode, I honestly thought Saul was really going to blow his brains out there for a sec.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had the Med student's death spoiled for me and tuned in for the last 3 episodes to see if it'd improved... it really, really did :)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
About to finish season one. My favorite part was the guy saying I LOVE SUCKING COCK YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

is it worth watching after this season?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think that 2 and 3 are the worst, I don't think going from 1 to 4 would hurt any... except you'd miss out on the other good character in the series, Quinn.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I'm sergeant brody, I'm going to try and fix my suicide vest in the bathroom of the vice presidential bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Ok. Bomb is fixed. Do it human being

God loving dammit. The daughter calls.

• Locked thread