Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Comic Zeal is still the best and new phone support is coming pretty soon. I'm dealing with the gigantic interface for now and it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So the actual images appear correctly and not upscaled?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Yup

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

"Browser extensions do require a natively running app. "

So no support on random PC you can't install stuff on at work, no support on Linux, no support on your parents PC when you're fixing something.

And you still have to piss about with Dropbox for syncing.

It's nowhere near Lastpass if you're not entirely Apple invested, and I trust the subscription funding model for this kind of continued service.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

wooger posted:

"Browser extensions do require a natively running app. "

So no support on random PC you can't install stuff on at work, no support on Linux, no support on your parents PC when you're fixing something.

1password Anywhere does exactly this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/using-1passwordanywhere

geera
May 20, 2003
This works OK, but it is annoying to have the 1Pw Chrome extension installed everywhere but only functioning on the one computer I have with 1Pw installed. Otherwise 1Pw is great.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Used this before back when I had a Mac - it's read only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dragonrah posted:

This is only for the desktop version.

The share button works as wooger said. I don't use Safari though and I was hoping for a auto fill solution, but it'll do. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Oh god, whoops, forgot what thread I was in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dizzywhip posted:

Earlier in the thread I asked about grocery list apps and found that I wasn't really happy with what was out there, so I made a small app of my own.

It's very basic but does exactly what I want it to do, which is display a single list with items to buy on top, and items I've previously entered on bottom, sorted alphabetically. Pull down to create a new item with suggestions based on previously-entered items. Tap an item to toggle bought/not bought, tap and hold to rename, swipe to delete. Plus it looks nice (I think).

Here's some promo codes if anyone is interested:

Edit: All gone! Don't wanna spam the thread, so PM me if you'd like a code.

hey i tried it out today!

so far its exactly what I want in a list app , except one thing- it'd be nice if i could use a smaller font size for longer item names (the truncated one is assassins creed unity for xbone, since the word rear end is in it twice).i'd be happy with a scrolling option as well

otherwise its simple clean and nice, I like it a lot.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

hey i tried it out today!

so far its exactly what I want in a list app , except one thing- it'd be nice if i could use a smaller font size for longer item names (the truncated one is assassins creed unity for xbone, since the word rear end is in it twice).i'd be happy with a scrolling option as well

otherwise its simple clean and nice, I like it a lot.

Thanks, glad you like it! Dynamic font size is a good idea, I'll see if I can add that when I get around to adding a dark mode.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm going to guess that the answer is no, but I figured I'd ask: Is there an app to download torrents that doesn't require jailbreaking? literally the only thing that GoodReader doesn't do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How the gently caress has eBay not updated for iPhone 6?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Perfect Paths is Starbuck's App of the Week and pretty fun. I'm guessing its US only though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I got the T3HK one

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Took 7JW3 in the top right - thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I got P94 one. Thanks!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

Perfect Paths is Starbuck's App of the Week and pretty fun. I'm guessing its US only though.

I snagged APJ, second from the top right. Thanks! (that camera capture is neat)

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
My camera selected the second from the top on the left. Thanks for doing this! How does one get these Starbucks codes? Do you have to buy coffee there to get them?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sobriquet posted:

My camera selected the second from the top on the left. Thanks for doing this! How does one get these Starbucks codes? Do you have to buy coffee there to get them?

You could in theory just walk in and pocket every card they have on display.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

EconOutlines posted:

Grabbed 4wpx thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took KHY on the lower left. Thanks!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sobriquet posted:

I usually get coffee at least once a week. I snag a bunch since they always keep refilling them during that day. Apparently they have boxes of them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They put out new cards for different apps every Tuesday, too. The Starbucks I've been to just keep them by the table with straws/napkins/etc. I've seen them at Target in their Starbucks shops too.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Took 43F7 from the lower left, thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm... I go to Disney a lot, and now that Starbucks has partnered with Disney, adding shops to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, I might just have to stop in and grab cards when I visit...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Disney Starbucks aren't quite the same as normal ones. They're pretty stripped down to bare essentials in the guest area.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having a really weird issue with WhatsApp, wondering if others are having the same problem, or, even better, a solution.

WhatsApp is latest version (2.11.12) running on iOS 8.1. HW is an iPhone 5.

Issue is that is crashes under startup. Right back to home screen. When that's the case, it's beyond hope, once it's happened, it crashes every time. Except when the battery level is sufficiently low... :stare: Then it can go back to working again.

A solution is to uninstall/install the app, and restore the conversation history. The body of conversations is rather large, around 200 MB. This makes it work again for anywhere from 10 minutes to a week, until it, eventually, crashes.

My theory is as follows: the app does a lot of work with plowing through the database upon startup. On occasion, this takes too long, and iOS forces the app to quit, thinking that it's a runaway. When the battery level is low, the CPU is underclocked, and the grace period is made longer, thus allowing the app to complete its initialization.

I would rather not delete my conversation history, as I have some stuff in there that's quite important to me.

I've tried to get in touch with WhatsApp support, even so far as to send them iOS crash dumps, but no response except canned ones.

Any bright ideas?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

bolind posted:

I'm having a really weird issue with WhatsApp, wondering if others are having the same problem, or, even better, a solution.

I would rather not delete my conversation history, as I have some stuff in there that's quite important to me.

Can you just email your conversations to yourself from within whatsapp? You get a nice text file with date and time stamps.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Unfortunately, no. There's another bug which somehow prevents this because I "haven't properly set up e-mail." I have no idea why, I've tried, and I believe I have. Additionally, it's limited to 10k messages and my biggest conversation is way above that.

I have extracted the sqlite files to my computer and have sorta gotten a backup, only it's in no way formatted.

Resetting the conversations might not even fix the problem.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bolind posted:

Unfortunately, no. There's another bug which somehow prevents this because I "haven't properly set up e-mail." I have no idea why, I've tried, and I believe I have.

I actually ran into that with another app. Ultimately it's because I use a third party email and turned off email in my iCloud settings. iCloud email needs to be on for "email" functions in other apps to work. They can only use the default email app in iOS.

I ended up turning on iCloud email burying the mail.app icon on the Screen of Misfit Apps and turning off all notifications for the default app.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Is there an app that will let me make a playlist using songs that are on my device (synced from iTunes), from Spotify, and from SoundCloud? Basically something like Tomahawk, but for iOS. Google has turned up nothing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

CoasterMaster posted:

Is there an app that will let me make a playlist using songs that are on my device (synced from iTunes), from Spotify, and from SoundCloud? Basically something like Tomahawk, but for iOS. Google has turned up nothing.

Apple would probably not allow this, but you can sync local files to Spotify and then make a playlist using their library and your obscure tracks.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Are there any media players for IOS that are capable of streaming music and video from a Windows PC/Networked HDD/whatever (like Avia Media Player and others for Android) to my ipod without having to install some sketchy RemoteGateway service?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

CitrusFrog posted:

Are there any media players for IOS that are capable of streaming music and video from a Windows PC/Networked HDD/whatever (like Avia Media Player and others for Android) to my ipod without having to install some sketchy RemoteGateway service?

Plex, probably.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Plex, probably.

Thanks. It looks nice, but it also requires installing crap on my PC. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with the "install some sort of gateway/server" crap because of cross-platform encoding so IOS doesn't choke on .avi and .mkv files (and even some mp4/m4v files in my experience).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
A question: I'm using Overcast (with IAP) on my air 2. Background app refresh is turned on everywhere.

I can't get it to auto download any podcasts. It seems to be aware of the new episodes, at least if I manually do a refresh, but shows them as waiting to download. None of the new podcasts released since I set it up yesterday have downloaded.

What setting am I missing, or does the app not support this feature somehow?

Alternatively, is it working for anyone else on an air 2?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

CitrusFrog posted:

Thanks. It looks nice, but it also requires installing crap on my PC. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with the "install some sort of gateway/server" crap because of cross-platform encoding so IOS doesn't choke on .avi and .mkv files (and even some mp4/m4v files in my experience).

If you jailbreak you can install XBMC.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

CitrusFrog posted:

Plex is amazing software, even in the non-Plexpass form. Try it before you knock it.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

CitrusFrog posted:

I personally hate plex, though to be fair is been awhile since I have it a shot. I had a real issue with the way it forced the indexing and cataloging of my files. I just want it to let me navigate the folders. I've been running universal media server and haven't run into any issues on any platform (is that what you mean by remote gateway?)

For iOS I run with airplayer, it's recognized and worked with all the dlna servers I've tried. It's not the greatest for navigation but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

CitrusFrog posted:

AirPlayerHD CineXPlayer NPlayer OPlayer XBMC the list goes on and on and on (but those are the good ones). There is good media poo poo out there and none of it includes the need to install crap on your computer.