Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Violence is always an option.

There's always another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I used to game with a guy who would say on occasion, "The gun is your skill list. Intimidate? 'Let me by or I'll shoot you'. Lockpicking? You shoot the lock. Perception? 'I know you're hiding in there, come out or I'll shoot you'." I know he was quoting something (and I'm getting the wording wrong), but does anyone know the exact source?

I think that's The Munchkin's Guide to Powergaming by (*ack*) James "Grim" Desborough.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Stealth: "You didn't see me, or I will shoot you."

This is how the Bugbear permastealth crossbow rogue in our level 25 4e game works. Also, only one member of the party has ever seen him.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Skyscraper posted:

Didn't you mention this homebrew system before? Does it have a rule/sourcebook PDF?

Kinda. As an wannabe-amateur game designer, Nanosystem is (as we often joke) 'Steam Early Access'. The bulk of the written rulebook is Here, though there's a shitload of things not present, namely: things. Weapons and tools, enemies, vehicles, etc are more-or-less made up on the fly to make a fun campaign, using somewhat tested and wholly-unbalanced guidelines.

But my group loves the poo poo out of it and keeps asking for more, so, success I guess :yayclod:

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I had my very first experience with tabletop gaming tonight: D&D NEXT with a bunch of coworkers. 10 minutes after finishing character creation, I punched out a plot-important NPC. A half hour in, one of the other players beat a guard to death with a dinner table. I'm quite enjoying this and we have our next session same time next week!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tyrone Biggums posted:

I had my very first experience with tabletop gaming tonight: D&D NEXT with a bunch of coworkers. 10 minutes after finishing character creation, I punched out a plot-important NPC. A half hour in, one of the other players beat a guard to death with a dinner table. I'm quite enjoying this and we have our next session same time next week!

You've got a good GM.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
So I have a good story to relate. Back in college I wanted to run a Byzantine-style court intrigue game in a low-magic fantasy setting. The entire game took place in the king's castle, which was situated on a cliff overseeing the bay.

In preparation I made over 50 NPCs of all stations, each with detailed backstories, motivations, and personalities. All competing with one another for power and influence. I then recruited the best players in the Gaming Club and required each PC to have a dark secret. The players made a noble family and their servants. In the end, it turned out to be the best game I've ever run. The death count for PCs was intense.

One of the servant PCs actually felt so threatened he said "I'm out" and ran away. The player was very amused, and made a new character to replace him. The servant, though he turned into an NPC, was one of the only player-created characters to not die.

We stayed up until 1:00am finishing that last session. Almost every single PC died in the most splendid ways. Only two survived, one of which returned off-camera to murder the other (it was agreed.) Everyone was laughing and smiling, and very satisfied.

My two favorite deaths are these two:

-Convicted of heresy and threatened with immolation, the playwright tried to escape out his castle-room's window after stuffing his life's work into his belt. Clinging for dear life to the small rock outcroppings, with a sheer drop onto jagged rocks on one side and angry guards on the other, a stiff ocean breeze sent the play out of his belt and fluttering into the wind. Screaming "Noooo!" he lunged for them.

-The paranoid lordling was certain someone would kill him that day. So, he sneaked into an abandoned wing of the castle, where the only entrance's floor had fallen out onto the ocean rocks below. Prepared for this occasion, he grabbed the wooden beam placed nearby and put it over the chasm.

As he was walking across to the other side, the assassin who was following him came around the corner. She smiled as she kicked the lumber out from under the precariously balanced lord, who was about half-way across the chasm. All too easy.

Every single other player had seen it coming, and laughed heartily.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 13, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Afgad posted:

My two favorite deaths are these two:

-Convicted of heresy and threatened with immolation, the playwright tried to escape out his castle-room's window after stuffing his life's work into his belt. Clinging for dear life to the small rock outcroppings, with a sheer drop onto jagged rocks on one side and angry guards on the other, a stiff ocean breeze sent the play out of his belt and fluttering into the wind. Screaming "Noooo!" he lunged for them.

-The paranoid lordling was certain someone would kill him that day. So, he sneaked into an abandoned wing of the castle, where the only entrance's floor had fallen out onto the ocean rocks below. Prepared for this occasion, he grabbed the wooden beam placed nearby and put it over the chasm.

As he was walking across to the other side, the assassin who was following him came around the corner. She smiled as she kicked the lumber out from under the precariously balanced lord, who was about half-way across the chasm. All too easy.

Every single other player had seen it coming, and laughed heartily.

So DnD meets 1313 Dead End Drive?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is how the Bugbear permastealth crossbow rogue in our level 25 4e game works. Also, only one member of the party has ever seen him.

Did they get shot for it?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Evilreaver posted:

Kinda. As an wannabe-amateur game designer, Nanosystem is (as we often joke) 'Steam Early Access'. The bulk of the written rulebook is Here, though there's a shitload of things not present, namely: things. Weapons and tools, enemies, vehicles, etc are more-or-less made up on the fly to make a fun campaign, using somewhat tested and wholly-unbalanced guidelines.

But my group loves the poo poo out of it and keeps asking for more, so, success I guess :yayclod:

Cool, thanks! I can see that there's a lot missing, but it looks like it'll make for a fun rules-lite alternative to other modern or near-future systems.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Alopex posted:

I figure that was a given.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Unknown Quantity posted:

Last night while playing 13th age with some friends of mine, my dice rolls were horrible. I believe they were a 1, a 2, a 6, a 2, and a 1.

Is this normal for other people? To roll dice only 5 times a session?

It sounds like the point in our mid tier 6 player 4e game where the campaign just drifted apart and no one noticed because everyone was checking their smart phones.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I am deeply, deeply saddened that the guy behind The Munchkin's Guide To Powergaming is also the guy behind making Gor into an RPG.

Was TMGTP ever actually any good? In my memory it was OK for a few laughs, but it's difficult to imagine anything good coming from a man who uses phrases like "rakish fop" and "gentleman bastard" to describe himself in public.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alopex posted:

No, but they can't definitively prove he was there. Also a giant invisible bugbear is a hard sell even when crossbow quills just start popping into your enemies' necks.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I kind of want to stat up a homebrew feat now, where the player gets a bonus to any skill when holding a loaded firearm, if they can make an intimidation check and give me a good enough argument for why they should get the bonus.

:v: "I find a nearby bear, put the gun to his head, and tell him to catch me some goddamned salmon."
:rolldice: "That works for me! +5 to forage."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

fosborb posted:

Is this normal for other people? To roll dice only 5 times a session?

It sounds like the point in our mid tier 6 player 4e game where the campaign just drifted apart and no one noticed because everyone was checking their smart phones.

I got really annoyed because counting the previous sessions, my roll stream for bad rolls was like 14. So I left three rounds into combat, with two rolls made prior to.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Captain Bravo posted:

I kind of want to stat up a homebrew feat now, where the player gets a bonus to any skill when holding a loaded firearm, if they can make an intimidation check and give me a good enough argument for why they should get the bonus.

:v: "I find a nearby bear, put the gun to his head, and tell him to catch me some goddamned salmon."
:rolldice: "That works for me! +5 to forage."

I remember playing Champions with someone's Iron Man/power armor type PC who had a nuclear missile built into the suit. It wasn't a weapon, though; it just gave him a massive boost to his intimidation skill. Whenever he got fed up with the bad guys, he'd open the hatch with the big nuclear warning signs on it, roll to intimidate, and the villains would fold. "poo poo, I think he means it this time; okay you win, sir."

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Our group tried out the starter set for D&D 5e tonight to see if we liked the system enough to migrate our existing 4e campaign over. Sticking with the prebuilt characters and only getting through a couple of encounters due to time constraints, we still had a lot of fun with it. My favorite story out of the evening is as follows (spoilers I guess if you were planning on running through this yourself)

Dramatis Personae:
"Two -Shoes" Taldruk, dwarf cleric - the only dwarf in his hobo clan to own two actual shoes! (which were promptly stolen by the party fighter)
Dicktus the Donglorious, human fighter - formerly known as Victus the Infallible, he quickly fell prey to our immature senses of humor (his testicles are named T.G. and Lee because they are a milk factory~)
Lupin Lightfinger (III), halfling rogue - this is the character I played, he sort of inadvertantly developed a Napoleon complex and would only stop talking big when he was stealing from someone
Almera, elf wizard - the only character played straight in the group, great for reactions to our shenanigans

The party wanted information on the activities of a street gang operating in the city, so they went to where you'd usually find such intel - the tavern. However, loitering outside the entrance of the place were four ruffians described as wearing clothing indicating their membership in this gang. Eyeing us up as we approached they started talking poo poo, spat at us, the usual disrespectful stuff.

Lupin, hidden in Dicktus' robes so as to remain unseen for as long as possible (he didn't want this gang to know that he was back in town after they set him up to die) talked poo poo right back at them, mixing in some Thieves Cant to tell them to step the gently caress off if they knew what was good for them. Unfortunately all this accomplished was that now these guys thought that Dicktus had a talking dick and laughed amongst themselves at his expense.

At about this point Almera got tired of our idiocy and, in a fit of elven superiority, tried to breeze past the lowly gang members to enter the tavern. One of them drew a sword to block the entryway and was inappropriately and aggresively creepy towards her so the group went gently caress it ROLL INITIATIVE

It's worth noting that Almera attempted to resolve things peacefully even after a clear attempt by these guys to instigate a fight but Two-Shoes had some kind of grudge against the gang and Dicktus was pretty bloodthirsty so despite the attempts of the wizard and rogue to avoid brawling in the streets in the middle of the day it was indeed time to do horrible murders upon these men.

The first round of combat started out pretty standard but once it was Dicktus' turn he massively critted his opponent and reduced him to little more than gibs, then repeated the process with his next opponent (who had just been tasered in the brain by Almera). The third guy was assaulted by Lupin who launched himself, shrieking and cursing, out from beneath Dicktus' clothes by swinging on the fighter's preposterously-sized genitals like Tarzan on a vine. The two of them were knocked prone by the maneuver but when the gang member scrambled to his feet he missed hitting Lupin with his sword. Taking advantage of that blunder, Lupin acrobatically leapt up from the ground onto the man's chest and stabbed him horribly about the face and neck while screaming further obscenities.

The fourth ruffian, having seen his comrades so ruthlessly butchered (on a public street, in broad daylight) turned and ran after suffering little more than light wounds from Two-Shoes. The party wasn't going to have any of that! Dicktus threw a javelin after him (and missed), Lupin fired his bow after him (and missed), and Two-Shoes lobbed a hand axe after him (and hit!). The axe in his back slowed the guy down long enough for the party to catch up with him and Lupin jumped on him, knocking him down for good and pinning him in place.

What followed was an amazing interrogation sequence wherein the DM and I carried on like nothing else, I'm sure her neighbors hate us for all our noise. Lupin was screaming at and threatening the wounded man, demanding information on the gang and what the leader's been up to since the double-cross, and the guy was blubbering and sobbing and spewing what little information he had while begging for his life. Lupin made horrifying use of the axe that was still lodged in the man's back, grabbing the handle and waggling it around to great effect when he thought the guy was holding out on him. The DM would howl in pain whenever I acted out grabbing the axe, interrupting her own explanations in doing so. Neither of us broke character for the duration, it was so much fun and once we were done the other players said that it had been massively entertaining to watch. It was about here that I started getting a little concerned about how psychotic my character was swiftly becoming.

In the end Lupin was fairly satisfied with the information he got out of this guy so he offered to have Two-Shoes heal him up as thanks, forgetting about the cleric's grudge against members of the gang. After Two-Shoes refused to waste a spell on the guy, Lupin did a medicine check to stabilize him. Almera really wanted to get medical help for him, at the very least to take him to an inn where he could receive some kind of care, so naturally the angry cleric and bloodthirsty fighter immediately attempted to enact cold-blooded murder in the streets. Almera was able to prevent Two-Shoes from landing a killing blow, but Dicktus managed to get around her and caved in the man's skull with his monster cock. Lupin just held the victim's hand and let it happen. Shh, no tears now. Only dreams.

So after looting the corpses the party finally went into the bar and met the bartender (who was a giant spider, due to a random mini the DM grabbed off the shelf) who thanked them for ridding his establishment of those hooligans and gave them a round on the house. Almera picked up a table leg to carry around, no idea why. :v:

We had to break for the evening after that but wow that was a satisfying sequence, much better than the first encounter where the entire party was knocked out at some point or another after some insanely sick rolls by the DM. If Dicktus hadn't critted during his saves to revive with 1hp I think we would have wiped on the first fight of the game.

e: clarity

Traxus IV fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 15, 2014

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Traxus IV posted:

So after looting the corpses the party finally went into the bar and met the bartender (who was a giant spider, due to a random mini the DM grabbed off the shelf) who thanked them for ridding his establishment of those hooligans and gave them a round on the house. Almera picked up a table leg to carry around, no idea why. :v:
Well, obviously, she wanted a leg up on the competition.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Traxus IV posted:

but Dicktus managed to get around her and caved in the man's skull with his monster cock. Lupin just held the victim's hand and let it happen. Shh, no tears now. Only dreams.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Wasn't sure if this thread or the 5e thread would be more appropriate for this little anecdote, but it had me chuckling pretty hard. I was explaining D&D to my girlfriend tonight, because she wonders what I do with my oddball pals every Monday in the basement. When I told her that "Baker" was not a class, she asked me what you could "be" in D&D:
:v: "Well there's fighter, and barbarian-
:j: "Isn't that the same as fighter?"
:v: "Well no, not really."
:j: "So a barbarian is a less fancy fighter?"
:v: "Yeah, then there's bard-
:j: "What? Are you kidding? Who would want to do that, they just play songs!"
:v: "But their songs are magical!"
:j: "So they're wizards?"
:v: "No, they're different I guess-
:j: "Whatever they're 'song wizards' what else do you got?"
:v: "Druid. He's a shamanistic warden of nature"
:j: "He's a nature wizard?"
:v: "No it's different. The Druid can shapeshift and summon animals to help fight and stuff."
:j: "Can't a wizard do that with a different spell?"
:v: "well... yeah."
:j: "Nature wizard. What else?"
:v: "Cleric. They're priests that cast divine spells to heal-
:j: "Are you loving kidding? A Priest Wizard? Is everything wizards in this game?"
:v: "No look, they're different okay. There's also Warlock and Sorcerer."
:j: "THOSE ARE ALL WIZARDS. THAT'S EVIL WIZARD AND SYNONYM FOR WIZARD. WHY IS EVERYONE A WIZARD?"
:v: "Well Warlocks get their powers from demons and sorcerers have dragon blood in their lineage. Wizards have to study to get magical powers."
:j: "How the gently caress does that work? Dragon blood? Does that mean someone in their family hosed a dragon?"
:v: "Yeah I think so. Dragons are shapeshifters or something."
:j: "Are they wizards too?"
:v: "Uh. Yeah, they're powerful spellcasters. So wizards, I guess."
:j: "This game sounds stupid."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's wizards all the way down, really.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Gods are just really powerful wizards, when you think about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your gf has the right idea

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mehuyael posted:

Gods are just really powerful wizards, when you think about it.

Fizban the Fabulous

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Okay, going to try and get back into posting stuff about The Order of Magnitude, from the beginning this time. It's an Eberron group which initially used Pathfinder, starting around level 3 if I recall correctly. The initial team was:

Jack The Black A true neutral Human Sorcerer of an Undead Bloodline (from Karnn). Contrasting that he had the Mark of Healing (in my game I give halflings the mark of handling and humans the mark of healing) which covered one side of his face and took a variation of the Surgery Feat from d20 modern. Basically he was Blackjack with necromantic powers.

Glorin He's a CG Dwarf Fighter, who was basically a walking "dwarven fighter" cliche. He was not looking to rock any cultural boats. Beard, axe, gruff, indeterminate accent. You name it.

Nolan A LG human monk. He was the party's functional leader by dint of having sanity and keeping track of funds. He was also probably the most moral of any of them by a far amount.

MAGNUS A CN Warforged Artificer. Simultaneous the most valued party member and the one everyone was least likely to mourn if he died.

The "hook" to start the campaign was that everyone had gotten drunk together and decided to found an official band of adventurers. Magnus, being the only one who wasn't completely sloshed when they went to file the paperwork with House Sivis got to list himself as the "official" leader of the group and name it (hence, the Order of Magnitude). The only thing left was to join one of the big adventuring guilds in Sharn (the only way to get really good or interesting work) but in order to join they either needed to foot an exorbitant admission fee or get a sponsor to recommend them.

The start of things was a mashup of the Forgotten Forge adventure from the core-book with the first Rise of the Runelords adventure set in a random Brelish city. The team stumbles across the murder of a human scholar of House Cannith by two warforged agents of the Lord of Blades. They defeat the attackers but the guy's already dead and from his corpse they recover an antiquated looking book that detects as magical and seems to be blank. The next day they find a notice asking any witnesses to the event to visit the house of Elaydren D'Cannith, with a reward offered for information. They figure a well-off lady of House Cannith might be a good "in" for getting guild membership so the Order shows up on the doorstep and tells her what they know and offers her the book, which is what she had been after the whole time.

Impressed by the group Elaydren hires them on the spot to go to the town of Sandpoint to uncover the secret lab of the book's former owner: a House Cannith founder and artificer. The lab should contain an amulet that will allow the book to be read. While in Sandpoint they get caught up in goblin attacks and eventually get hired by the goblins to hunt down and kill the source of the attacks: a crazed Khyber-worshipping woman who has taken control of much of goblin tribe and is leading them to slaughter against the humans. They're promised the goblin tribe's greatest treasure in exchange and fortunately they've also learned that the woman has already uncovered and looted the old Cannith lab and is using the amulet they're after as a necklace.

They track down the woman, beat her goblin followers and she escapes by leaping into a hole which leads to an underground river. Magnus, unhesitating, leaps right after her and immediately sinks like a stone. Unfortunately no one else has a good swim score so they head back to the lab, assuming that she might be headed there to fall back and regroup since it seemed like she and her goblins had camped there before. Meanwhile magnus simply trudges right after her through the water (fortunately without her noticing) and eventually she surfaces in the underground tunnels around the lab. Magnus cobbles together a quick communications scroll and contacts the rest of the Order to let them know where the crazy lady is. Together they confront and defeat her, taking the amulet.

While Jack and Nolan get ready to leave Magnus and Glorin head back to the goblins and demand their reward, and are given the goblin's greatest treasure: an enchanted sack of endless dung. Magnus loves it immediately, dubs it the poo poo-Bag and the two are inseparable for most of the campaign.

They head back to Elaydren with the amulet and have another meeting with her in her big mansion. However, while she's inspecting the journal a whole pack of warforged suddenly swing through the windows on ropes. Their leader is a big, adamantine-plated warforged cleric of the LoB who is almost immediately bull-rushed out of the second-story window before he has a chance to draw his greatsword. The fall does minimal damage but he spends most of the fight having to break into the house's first floor, find the stairs and trudge up them. Meanwhile his soldiers are dropping like flies. The constructs he's leading aren't like normal warforged: their plating is bulging and warped in many places and their metal parts have lots of corrosion. After being killed their organic parts dissolve into foul-smelling green ooze. By the time the warforged leader got back up to the fight most of his men were dead and he was too slow to run away, so he promptly got his metal rear end handed to him.

During the attack Elaydren activated a magical safeguard which teleported her away but the book and amulet had been left on the table along with the reward prepared for the party: a modest note of credit and a pre-written and signed reccomendation to each of the adventurer's guilds in Sharn. Nolan, being principled, decided that they would take the reward and letters but also bring the book and amulet to house Cannith so it could be returned to her by her House.

While everyone gets ready to leave the next day (and realizes that lightning rails are actually quite expensive) Magnus decides that all that adamantine plating is going to waste on that warforged corpse. He drags the body of the warforged leader through town, stopping by a smith to get some repairs done (he was out of infusions) and to rent the blacksmith's cart to carry the (heavy) body. He then does some asking around and finds a gnome wizard on the outskirts of town who would probably not have any qualms about stripping the body for raw material.

Well, I decide that the gnome is extremely crochety and a bit of a dick so he massively low-balls Magnus, offering only about 200 gp for what is probably a few thousand GP worth of adamantine. Magnus immediately makes a counter-offer of 150 (because so CN you guys, totes wacky). Which of course the gnome immediately accepts. I then reveal that he could have probably gotten about 5-6 times that much and Magnus' player proceeds to kick himself for the rest of the night.

Next Magnus gets a beating (one of many).

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I now think all bards are wizards that flunked out of magic university because they sat around playing their lutes all day instead of studying.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Glukeose posted:

Calvin was right.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Glukeose posted:

:j: "THOSE ARE ALL WIZARDS. THAT'S EVIL WIZARD AND SYNONYM FOR WIZARD. WHY IS EVERYONE A WIZARD?"

Your girlfriend figured it out in record time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yawgmoth posted:

Your girlfriend figured it out in record time.

Which is why everyone should play Mage, where being a Wizard is very much the point.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would you play a game with even more wizards :confused:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Note that Ryuutama is the game where one of the classes can actually just be a Baker.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

VanSandman posted:

Which is why everyone should play Mage, where being a Wizard is very much the point.
:hfive:

Tollymain posted:

why would you play a game with even more wizards :confused:
Because at least there you you know what you're getting into. Everyone is a wizard and your style is totally up to you.

One of my PCs in my mage game just finished a pact with a demon to get it to teach him a legacy. This will surely have no untoward repercussions. :getin:

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
"By the burning light of a hundred Fredrichs..."

In light of the Night Witches kickstarter, I am reminded of the Concerned Ladies International Travel Society games I ran using Risus. I prepped a bunch of character sheets loosely based on real women and their roles in WWII, who had all been drawn into a secret society whose purpose was to criss-cross the world, seeking out the remnants of the Nazi regime and putting them down wherever they were found. I ran the game a couple of times during game nights when everyone wasn't available for the main thing we were playing at the time (Werewolf: the Apocalypse). Everyone got to pick a sheet, tweak a few stats, then they hit the ground running.

The first session featured Magdalena, expat German scientist who wasn't technically a Nazi but didn't wholly disagree with their policies; Etienne, a French maquis booze smuggler/gunrunner/backwoods hick with a truck full of hooch and a farmdog copilot; Charlie, an Irish woman who infiltrated the tank corps of the English army and ended up with her own mini-tank and Ruby, a New Zealand born explosives expert with a Japanese officer's katana she'd kept as a trophy after the war. According to their commanding officer, the first mission was to infiltrate a neighbourhood in Buenos Aires that had ostensibly been taken over by a squad of the dispersed Nazis. What actually happened was the usual PC-caused mayhem. They quickly discovered that the 'squad' was more of a 'large-scale ubermensch clone farm' after Ruby and Charlie beat the tar out of an entire bar half-full of duplicates of the same guy-all of the clones answering to the name 'Fredrich'.

They followed the Fredrichs back to the clone farm and found multiple barracks, both above and below grounds, full of clones of various ages and sizes. Naturally, Magdalena immediately began swaying the loyalty of several Fredrichs to herself, while the others set everything up to wipe out the whole farm. The mayhem that followed started with Charlie blowing up the above-ground barracks, followed by Ruby rolling in with her tank and Etienne bringing in a backup squad of locals. Between the tank, Charlie's katana, Etienne's truck-dog-shotgun combination and Magdalena's 'liberated' mini-army of Fredrichs, they made short work of the Nazis. Magdalena even managed to save a trio of personal Fredrichs and smuggled out a handful of microfiche that proved Hitler was still alive!

Sadly we only played one more session after that-they went to Iceland to fight the next iteration of the clone army, the Heinrichs, but we had to quit halfway through because someone got sick. :(

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So the DM is running my party through Madness at Gardmore Abbey (plus metaplot), and this past weekened we encountered a fortification on the outskirts set up by a band of atheist orc bandits. My character (a 'Thou shalt not kill'-believing Monk based on DC comics' Black Bat) and dual-wielding Scout who has earned the nickname 'Murder Blender' happen to be the two stealthiest members of the party and together we try and sneak up on the orcs and ambush them.

Well, Murder Blender is caught when one of the orcs rolls a crit on perception, and the alarm is sounded, beginning combat. My character has made it to the roof of the fortification which has several unmanned ballistas and a trebuchet left over from a past war. The orcs aren't using these, but have two archers on the roof. However, as the party goes about dismantling the orcs and their ogre buddy, a black miasma rolls in on the far side of the fortification and SOMETHING begins grabbing orcs and slaughtering them in gruesome ways.

Our party being ah, at the very least humane in their murderhoboing if not averse to killing like my Monk, try to explain to the orcs that we're not the greater danger here and that they should run. In between punching and kicking the poo poo out of the archer, I'm pleading for the idiot to stop fighting and save himself (as we've noticed that whatever is in the miasma, it isn't attacking us, just the orcs). But nope, it insists on fighting to the end.

So with just one orc left, that is, the one I was fighting,(the others either taken down by the rest of the party or pulled into the miasma and slaughtered), I grab him, stick his foot in the trebutchet, declaring "I'm going to save your life even if it kills you!" And I pull the lever, the table chiming in with Team Rocket jokes.

The DMing wasn't expecting this, laughs about it for a moment, and then says, fine, I'll roll him a saving throw.

It came up 8 and the orc died, but I was so close, dammit.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a better gm would have just used fiat :colbert:

no orcs shall live :unsmigghh:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WereJace posted:

Concerned Ladies International Travel Society

I take it you didn't think too hard about the acronym.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

VanSandman posted:

I take it you didn't think too hard about the acronym.
I would wager that they thought very hard on the acronym.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Yawgmoth posted:

I would wager that they thought very hard on the acronym.
They'd have been better off calling it CWITS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Speaking of madness, I remember a one shot character I played named Desdemona Salieri. It was the 30s, and she was a gun moll fleeing the Sanduccos. Misunderstanding a reporter who'd interviewed her, Desi went to Monterey and got caught up in Cthuluoid hijinx.

Or she would, if she wasn't obstinately, amazingly ignorant. She refused to look at things that were freaky. Normal things (breaking, entering, driving, police tactics), she could handle. If there was something off-putting needed blasting, she'd ask for the general direction, then light it up with a tommygun.
She explained:
"I do Omerta, but for crazy monster poo poo. Oh, and I can't explain what Omerta is."

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 11, 2015