Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Is there a dedicated VC thread anywhere on the forums? I'm about an hour in and already I can feel that I'm going to need expert advice about a number of different things in the game, something which goons are usually really good at dispensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Radiation Cow posted:

I'm going to need expert advice ... which goons are usually really good at dispensing.

I beg to differ

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The GIG posted:

There are two that unlock after certain characters (namely: Oscar and Karl) are injured and evacuated after gaining their unlockable potentials, so basically unless you get those two killed by loving up very badly, you should be okay. Outside of that there's the unlockable enemy weapons from defeating named special enemies, but most of them are garbage anyway.

I've generally noticed that Imp weapons do much more damage, at the cost of range. Since I usually engage from the next planetary system, they are worthless to me, but if you're the gung-ho sort, then their machine guns might prove useful.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Since I usually engage from the next planetary system...

Go on...

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 13, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry, by that I mean I just shoot them from a massive distance- it's hell for my mission ratings, but gently caress it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Sorry, by that I mean I just shoot them from a massive distance- it's hell for my mission ratings, but gently caress it.

Oh is that all.

Cue James Earl Jones.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Orv posted:

Go on...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's amazing that in VC1 you can just get a sniper and not spend literally hours farming the same couple of missions in hopes that the RNG will drop the necessary credits on one of your scouts.

And while I'm at RNG, gently caress the foil steam cards.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm enjoying VC so far but holy poo poo the tone of this game is asinine. Oh there's a war and people are dying and poo poo's exploding? Yeah we're all fine and dandy and everything is a happy pastel coloring book! Oh our mill was just blown up and a bunch of people died? Hooooow could anyone have seen this coming? It's not like someone near the edge of the village could have seen this big military force with a tank coming our way and maybe warned us or something so the people who are taking about five years to evacuate could have started moving their asses.

I mean, I'm going to keep playing, but the old Yahtzee review wasn't kidding when he said this game is basically The Hundred Acre Wood Fights Mean Old Farmer Hitler.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

The Grimace posted:

man

I've owned this game for two years and still haven't played it... so earlier today I read this comment when it said "DON'T TAKE THIS THIS GAME IS AWFUL" or something similar. Figured I'd finally jump in to see if this was true.

It's something like an hour and a half-long game, and I fell asleep an hour in I was so bored. One steam review I read said that it's "opening doors: the game." They were right. Don't play Home.

My main issues with it are that, while it did a passably good job at creating atmosphere and such, it ultimately added up to nothing much and having your ending be decided by a quick Q&A at the end is kind of lazy and immersion-breaking. Well that and apparently the answers I gave shoved me into an ending which was basically "I DUNNO LOL" which pissed me off. Needless to say, it didn't leave me wanting to play again to try for a different ending.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
best thing I can think to say about Home is it was short enough that I finished it anyway

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I had a similar experience with Lone Survivor. The game goes from piece to piece of spookiness hinting at some kind of narrative then the game just ends. Maybe I missed some important details, but I took nothing away from Lone Survivor's narrative.

The director's cut also had a nasty bug where the game locks you in expert mode.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I mean, I'm going to keep playing, but the old Yahtzee review wasn't kidding when he said this game is basically The Hundred Acre Wood Fights Mean Old Farmer Hitler.

That's how 80%-90% of the game is, which makes the remaining 10%-20% all the more :stonk:-inducing when they happen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You can really tell apart the people who have never played an Advance Wars game before in this thread.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 13, 2014

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kanfy posted:

You can really tell apart the people who have never played an Advance Wars game before in this thread.

I bought a DS for that one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, do you often create false memories around traumatic experiences stuff internet reviewers did not say?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Croccers posted:

Not-Germany invades uhh.... Neutral-European country and fucks poo poo up to exploit it's natural resources so they start a militia, I think some of them are in a military academy too. Or something like that. IMO it's enough of a handwave.

Easily. VC was hands down one of the best PS3 games I ever played. It was stupid that the sequels only came out on PSP but hopefully they'll make another follow up as good as this one someday.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Days Of Ruin/Whatever the gently caress it got localized to was less silly on the CO/War part.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kanfy posted:

You sir/madam just sold me on Valkyrie Chronicles!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Helith posted:

Is there an in-game explanation in Valkyria Chronicles as to why teenagers are fighting the war?

Or should I just shrug and say 'Because Anime!'

I plan on picking this game up at some point but goddamn it's anime as gently caress and I'm too old to be part of the anime generation.

Something mentioned in a few places is that the country's heavily militarized because it's so tiny and has vast quantities of Ragnarite. Basic military training's part of their regular schoolwork, so it's actually a decent reason why they're drafted into the militia.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Here's a picture of Warsaw Uprising's soldiers if you have doubts about teenagers fighting during WWII.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, most soldiers are 18-28ish even now. Ever notice all those fun posters about joining the Army in High Schools? ROTC? Yeah, guess who that attracts, it sure as hell isn't 30+ year old businessmen.

Go back in time enough to a horrific ground war that determined whether or not your country existed another day, and hell yes they gave guns to whoever was willing to use them.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

this game is basically The Hundred Acre Wood Fights Mean Old Farmer Hitler.
You realize that this is an amazing elevator pitch.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Here's a kid planting the last poppy in London earlier this week who is older than the youngest British soldier at the Somme

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, officially you were supposed to be over 18 to join up during WW1 but they never checked and just took what you said at face value so a lot of teenagers joined up. A lot of teenagers (and kids) end up fighting in a lot of wars for various reasons.

I guess I just picked up the impression that the game featured only teenage soldiers and was curious about that. The more I hear about it the more interesting the backstory sounds.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Helith posted:

I guess I just picked up the impression that the game featured only teenage soldiers and
No, that's the sequel, which is stupid in many many ways.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

So basically war is adorable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Helith posted:

Yeah, officially you were supposed to be over 18 to join up during WW1 but they never checked and just took what you said at face value so a lot of teenagers joined up. A lot of teenagers (and kids) end up fighting in a lot of wars for various reasons.

I guess I just picked up the impression that the game featured only teenage soldiers and was curious about that. The more I hear about it the more interesting the backstory sounds.

They're also the Militia, not the regular army, which is basically "anyone who got drafted or volunteered". If it wasn't for the military training everyone got in school, you'd basically be leading an idiot peasant brigade trying not to shoot themselves in the foot. You do get a few older soldiers in the mix though.

Kingsley
Apr 21, 2007
Grimey Drawer
In case there was anyone left without a copy of Insurgency, go nuts https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=fsdytCwHDysCZtCH

And a bonus Jamestown Deluxe https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=FVsXDy8ztZBtfPhF

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I'm just getting around to writing the OP for the VC thread right now. What do people want to see in it? I have a sample post here. Anything else people want to see added, or that I missed?

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21043

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

DarkstarIV posted:

I'm just getting around to writing the OP for the VC thread right now. What do people want to see in it? I have a sample post here. Anything else people want to see added, or that I missed?

Write about the distances/colored visibility lines because people have been asking about these here. And copy some hints from BIP wiki: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Valkyria_Chronicles_1

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm enjoying VC so far but holy poo poo the tone of this game is asinine. Oh there's a war and people are dying and poo poo's exploding? Yeah we're all fine and dandy and everything is a happy pastel coloring book! Oh our mill was just blown up and a bunch of people died? Hooooow could anyone have seen this coming? It's not like someone near the edge of the village could have seen this big military force with a tank coming our way and maybe warned us or something so the people who are taking about five years to evacuate could have started moving their asses.

Yeah it owns. This is the funniest game I've ever played and the gameplay is really great too.

DarkstarIV posted:

I would like to keep spoilers to a minimum for all the people like me who didn't have a PS3

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kingsley posted:

In case there was anyone left without a copy of Insurgency, go nuts https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=fsdytCwHDysCZtCH
Got that one, thanks!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Are there any missable secrets/characters in VC?

There are 5 unlockable characters, one of them you'll get pretty normally Get ten medals. If you don't know what those are yet, the game will explain later. they re basically in game achievements because VC came out before trophies I think?. Another character you don't get until you beat the game, so don't even worry about them. There's the 2 that The Gig mentioned.

There's another one I'd consider missable though, you have to Enter the command room with 1 million dollars. I wouldn't worry to much about saving up for him, but it's worth remembering if you ever find yourself close, maybe grind out a few skirmishes to unlock him if completionist.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 13, 2014

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Kingsley posted:

Grabbed one thanks!

Used to play this when it was a free mod. How time flies :(

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Art direction is amazing, IMO. Thank god we don't have yet more of Brown/Grey crap. As for tone, have you actually played through the game? It gets really dark in places. The story overall certainly gets a bit "anime", but it's actually quite good. Hit F for respect.

For civilians and evacuating, read up some WWII history, German army advances caught everybody by surprise constantly. poo poo, I have first hand accounts from my relatives who fled from German advance minutes before invasion of Minsk under artillery fire during WWII in Belarus.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I updated the test post with what people have requested so far. Any other suggestions? Or thread title ideas? Right now I'm going with: Valkyria Chronicles PC - XCOM meets Anime World War II

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oblomov posted:

Art direction is amazing, IMO. Thank god we don't have yet more of Brown/Grey crap. As for tone, have you actually played through the game? It gets really dark in places. The story overall certainly gets a bit "anime", but it's actually quite good. Hit F for respect.

For civilians and evacuating, read up some WWII history, German army advances caught everybody by surprise constantly. poo poo, I have first hand accounts from my relatives who fled from German advance minutes before invasion of Minsk under artillery fire during WWII in Belarus.

most of the complaints about unrealistic stuff appear to be from people who only know about war from modern movies

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DarkstarIV posted:

I updated the test post with what people have requested so far. Any other suggestions? Or thread title ideas? Right now I'm going with: Valkyria Chronicles PC - XCOM meets Anime World War II

'The Hundred Acre Wood Fights Mean Old Farmer Hitler' is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like Clannad Of Duty myself, but that's because I'm a sad nerd.

• Locked thread