Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

haveblue posted:

Ejecting twice also means that you've trashed two multimillion-dollar aircraft so putting you in a third one may be a bad idea even if you're completely healthy.

Lightly scratched, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Raygereio posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if that poor intern's ears are still ringing from how much my boss yelled at him.

That's why hearing protection is important...

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

C.M. Kruger posted:

Only a couple weeks after the new WTC tower's opening, two workers had to be rescued after their window-washing lift broke.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/12/at-least-one-window-washer-trapped-on-scaffold-at-1-world-trade-center/

Pro-tip: Don't wait for firemen to smash a window to get to safety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46-D1m6e_Q

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The best part of that whole thing:

quote:

One of the other pilots on the mission is reported to have radioed Foust during his descent under his parachute that "you'd better get back in it!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

.... how did you think ejector seats worked? A big Looney Tunes style spring?
Complete with giant boxing glove at the end.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Speaking of ejection mishaps...

http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/

e. amusingly it's a spring that holds the ejection seat in the aircraft on this model.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 13, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red_October_7000 posted:

The 2-3" height thing, at least to me, sounds like how much your spine is compressed during ejection, you don't automatically get shorter, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone who ejected once did suffer a back injury that left him unable to stand straight or similar, resulting in a loss of effective height.

Yeah, 2=3" sounds excessive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were temporarily shorter after ejecting.

Even a regular person, just walking around during the day,gets a little shorter. When you wake up in the morning, you're 1/4-1/2 an inch taller than you will be when you go back to bed, on average. So it would make sense that the extreme force of the ejection seat can compress your vertebral disks even more. But 2-3"? Sounds too much...maybe just, like, 1 inch.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Edit: somebody already said it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, 2=3" sounds excessive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were temporarily shorter after ejecting.

Even a regular person, just walking around during the day,gets a little shorter. When you wake up in the morning, you're 1/4-1/2 an inch taller than you will be when you go back to bed, on average. So it would make sense that the extreme force of the ejection seat can compress your vertebral disks even more. But 2-3"? Sounds too much...maybe just, like, 1 inch.

Vertebral compression and expansion is a thing. People who spend a significant amount of time in space usually (temporarily) gain an inch or so of height as a result that goes away a few weeks after they return to Earth.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Raygereio posted:

An intern at lab I worked some years ago was checking out a couple of old computers he found a cupboard to see if they still worked. He did the exact same thing, while in a lab where several rather important experiments were running.
Not only did the computer produce smoke. It tripped the circuit breaker and the smoke set of the sprinklers. Shutting the experiments down and damaging expensive equipment. It wouldn't surprise me if that poor intern's ears are still ringing from how much my boss yelled at him.

Smoke doesn't set off fire sprinklers. You have to have a significant amount of heat to have the glass vial that's plugging the sprinkler burst. Or for older ones the metal clip holding the plug in place to melt. Then there it case of giving it a good whack...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kesper North posted:

Vertebral compression and expansion is a thing. People who spend a significant amount of time in space usually (temporarily) gain an inch or so of height as a result that goes away a few weeks after they return to Earth.

That's...exactly what I just said? :confused:

Well, not the space part, but the part about compression and expansion. I'm just doubting that it's as extreme as 2 or 3 inches.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Happened this morning.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
"Hotplugging," eh?

I worked for a lovely cable contracting company as a service tech; had a service call for someone whose On Demand wasn't working. Signal strength read good so I put in a new box. Nope. Tried another one, same thing.
Next step is to check the connections. Sure enough, at the apartment buildings street-level, unlocked box, the customer's cable was spliced with another apartment's. snapped that poo poo; problem fixed.
Later on my way home I get a call saying that now it's not fixed and I have to go back.
Yep the cable splicer was at it again! This time I got shocked while disconnecting it. Fucker.
I wasn't about to confront anyone in this loving 'hood, so I clipped his real short and rolled.
Cable's all addressable now so stealing it is moot if you don't have an activated box.

Fun job it was; didn't pay poo poo.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

OSHAT

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

......is that a car part or a loving cluster bomb?

Also pro-tip: do not GIS 'cluster bomb'. :stare:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sirotan posted:

......is that a car part or a loving cluster bomb?

Also pro-tip: do not GIS 'cluster bomb'. :stare:

Looks like a mortar round to me. That's a hell of a shot :stare:

(Also unless it's a dummy round whoever took that picture is a braver man than me)

Speaking of OSHA:

Protective face cover is great when you're looking for things designed to blow the poo poo out of a tank.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 13, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A lot of mines iirc are designed to maim/amputate instead of killing outright to cause a casulty of course and also ocupy resources with a bleeding leggless man.

tldr; their eyes will be safe from blood splatter.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Naturally Selected posted:

Speaking of OSHA:

Protective face cover is great when you're looking for things designed to blow the poo poo out of a tank.

Shaped charges are weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

A lot of mines iirc are designed to maim/amputate instead of killing outright to cause a casulty of course and also ocupy resources with a bleeding leggless man.

Anti-personnel mines generally only have enough explosives to mangle a foot (blowing off a leg at the high end). Anti-tank mines will completely annihilate a person, but those generally require hundreds of pounds of force to detonate.

Notice that I said "generally". Quite a few mines have anti-tampering devices like tilt sensors that detonate them if they're hosed with. Ironically, what was intended to keep enemy forces from simply picking up minefields and tossing them out of the way has now ensured that innocent people are killed trying to clear the area after the war is over.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Mr. Wookums posted:

This is stupid. Protip - designing weapons to not kill people is a great way to lose.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

raverrn posted:

This is stupid. Protip - designing weapons to not kill people is a great way to lose.

This is patently untrue in modern industrial warfare which tends to be a war of attrition. Both a severely wounded and a dead man are removed from combat effectiveness, but the wounded man continues consuming the enemy's resources, possibly for life. The dead man just gets buried.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

raverrn posted:

People who get their foot or entire leg amputated aren't going to be part of the fighting force any more, and it takes more resources to save and care for a crippled soldier than to pack up and send home a corpse.

Also, in most cases it's not "designed not to kill", as that's merely a side effect. The mines don't kill easily because they're very small, and they're very small because:

1. They're easier to hide.

2. They're cheaper to make.

3. It's easier to transport and seed large numbers of them.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I would also think having your buddy come back with a leg missing is more demoralizing than if they come back with just the leg

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

It really depends on the mine honestly. Sometimes we use the killy ones and sometimes we use the woundey ones.

M18 Claymores will turn you into a fine paste fit for a cracker, whereas M16 Bouncing Betties will either blow your knees apart or decapitate you, depending on the humidity.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There are lots of projects going on with e.g. sniffing rats that are too light to set off the mines and simple robotic devices that can find mines and set them off with, well, a long stick.

So why are these folks searching manually?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are lots of projects going on with e.g. sniffing rats that are too light to set off the mines and simple robotic devices that can find mines and set them off with, well, a long stick.

Probably because that kind of poo poo usually exists just to show off and is rarely disseminated. Either because they sound great in the lab then fail in the field, or because they're just too expensive and people are cheaper.

I remember a few years back there was that Army recruitment commercial showing off that fancy robot they developed for roadside bomb disposal. I asked a dude who was in EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) about it, and his words were "I've never seen that loving robot outside the commercial even once."

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

They also have these cool spikes that fit on the fronts of tanks nowadays that basically rip up the ground in front of them as they drive, setting off AP mines and just flipping the AT ones out of the way. Still not as cool as the big flipping chain wheel on the front of the old Shermans in WW2. Those fuckers were :black101: as gently caress.

Edit: Here it is!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like mine detecting plants.
http://www.gizmag.com/go/2568/

Also these things are cool, but I guess you have to stop after every detonation to inspect the machine and replace broken chains.

Churchill Toad Mine clearing flail post WW2:
http://youtu.be/wf6CsvAffHo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

You’ve got to love the New York Times’ photo illustration:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Platystemon posted:

You’ve got to love the New York Times’ photo illustration:

Amazing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That image was supposed to be top secret.

We have a leak.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uthor posted:

Also these things are cool, but I guess you have to stop after every detonation to inspect the machine and replace broken chains.

Churchill Toad Mine clearing flail post WW2:
http://youtu.be/wf6CsvAffHo

I would have thought the flail would spin the other way so that debris wouldn't be directly launched into the tank.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chomp8645 posted:

We have a leek.

Well there's your problem: you can't just use any plant, the researches specifically engineered a strain of thale cress.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Carbon dioxide posted:

because of things like this:

KernelSlanders posted:

Still, he does seem awfully close. The best land mine detection scheme I've seen was some geneticists created a GM Arabidopsis (the lab mice of botany) that produced a red pigment in the presence of high nitrate concentration such as that leached into the soil by landmines. You could scatter the seeds by airplane over a field and then just don't step where the red patches are.

serious norman posted:

those are all green. fail technique IMO.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would have thought the flail would spin the other way so that debris wouldn't be directly launched into the tank.

Would have thought that having the flail run this way and the exploding mine being another foot or two away from the tank would be of more help than avoiding the debris.

Bits of flying mine and rock are probably less important than the initial blast force, what with the front being covered in the thickest armour and all. Pretty sure AT mines designed with shaped charges to fire directly upwards and concentrate the force into the weak underside armour anyway.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Toiletron 9000 posted:

Then there it case of giving it a good whack...

After having worked for many years in a warehouse with sprinklers that ran through the racks, this is so very true. Bad Forklift drivers are a sprinkler heads worst enemy. And the subsequent flooding is sure good at ruining everything else.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Police chase.

I think the guy survived this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Police chase.

I think the guy survived this.

Wasn't that the one where the dude fell asleep at the wheel?

And died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uthor posted:

Wasn't that the one where the dude fell asleep at the wheel?

And died?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dge-100mph.html

Fell asleep, yes. Dead, no.

• Locked thread