Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I dont get why people are upset with chinese copying others. They dont have time to design cars as so many millions of people need them immediately. Anyone whos anyone in China is in one of the many high end European cars exclusively sold in China. That some dude in a rural village is driving around in a faux Range Rover (Evogue of all) doesn't bother me in the least bit.

People like this guy know whats fake and whats not.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tycoon-buys-30-rolls-royce-cars-macau-hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Preoptopus posted:

I dont get why people are upset with chinese copying others. They dont have time to design cars as so many millions of people need them immediately. Anyone whos anyone in China is in one of the many high end European cars exclusively sold in China. That some dude in a rural village is driving around in a faux Range Rover (Evogue of all) doesn't bother me in the least bit.

People like this guy know whats fake and whats not.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tycoon-buys-30-rolls-royce-cars-macau-hotel

I hope you don't really think this.

Basically this: http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-calls-design-copies-theft-2014-10

As an engineer who has worked in R&D, the idea that I could spend months or years designing something for it to be ripped off and profited on by a person who doesn't own the IP to it is angering. There's a reason a copyright clause exists in the constitution and it is because rewarding innovators in our society is very VERY important to it's progression.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Basically this: http://www.businessinsider.com/jony-ive-calls-design-copies-theft-2014-10

As an engineer who has worked in R&D, the idea that I could spend months or years designing something for it to be ripped off and profited on by a person who doesn't own the IP to it is angering. There's a reason a copyright clause exists in the constitution and it is because rewarding innovators in our society is very VERY important to it's progression.

While I don't disagree with you, I think in the case of these Chinese knock-off cars the only thing they're copying is the styling. The engineering is unlikely to be even remotely similar.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

While I don't disagree with you, I think in the case of these Chinese knock-off cars the only thing they're copying is the styling. The engineering is unlikely to be even remotely similar.

The styling is part of the engineering. Its been my observation that it is extremely common in China to just take something they see working and try to apply it with very little other thoughts except for cost. While that makes the nuts and bolts engineering come out super crappy, they're probably stealing the general mechanical design as well.

On topic:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 13, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Linedance posted:

That's a Celica and a Tiburon /Coupe, yes.
Other way around, but yeah.

Linedance posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here, other than 3 red cars that look nothing alike and span roughly a decade of design?

The first one is a 2007 Coupe (I don't know if these were a thing in America), and the second one is a Ferrari F430, that they were accused of ripping the design from. As I said, I don't really see it myself. The third one is a 2002 Celica, which the Coupe has always reminded me of, although seeing them side by side it's mostly superficial - the general proportions and the shape of the lights.

Bonus Lamborghini Aventador Hyundai Coupe:

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

Name that car!

Nope! it's chinese.

absolutely shameless.

I'd love to buy a 'Land Wind' if only just to troll the trophy wives at my sons school who seem to have done a bulk buy of chromed-out Evoques. (seriously, there are like 5 identical white evoques that I can only identify by the vanity plates, and about five brand new jumbo-rovers too).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

literally every single industrial society except for the first (and even then Henry VIII importing flemish wool weavers in the 15th century is the start of crap like this) got its start from stealing technology from someone else, I mean gently caress, we stole the steam engine from the british

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cynic posted:

I'd love to buy a 'Land Wind' if only just to troll the trophy wives at my sons school who seem to have done a bulk buy of chromed-out Evoques. (seriously, there are like 5 identical white evoques that I can only identify by the vanity plates, and about five brand new jumbo-rovers too).

That wouldn't really cone across as trolling, try a rusty Lada Niva with an evoque an overfinch badge

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CarForumPoster posted:

But as a sovereign nation its their right to not give a crap about other peoples copyright laws. If corporations felt they were losing more money from these ripoffs than they're gaining by sending all the blueprints to China for cheap labor then they certainly wouldn't continue to do it. Corporations simply don't care about your hard work as an engineer or ethics in general.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Nailed it! :downsgun:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Not all handicaps are physical.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Sipher posted:

Nailed it! :downsgun:

I've seen that thing before - high probability the actual handicapped spot was taken, and god forbid the new arrival doesn't park in the "handicapped area".

I've watch people pull right into the marked "don't park here fuckhead" area when the next three non-HC spots were clear. :rolleyes:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I've seen that thing before - high probability the actual handicapped spot was taken, and god forbid the new arrival doesn't park in the "handicapped area".

I've watch people pull right into the marked "don't park here fuckhead" area when the next three non-HC spots were clear. :rolleyes:

Then get out with no issues because the placard belongs to their 300 pound wife with a bum leg that isn't in the car.

Topical, and one of my favorite Karma returns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZAwDAdyvpU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

While the 85 MPH speedo thing was terrible government BS, I salute the auto manufacturer who did this. It follows the letter of the law by not having actual numbers above 85, but is still usable past that. Most of them tweaked the speedo so that the entire sweep ended at 85.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

veedubfreak posted:

Then get out with no issues because the placard belongs to their 300 pound wife with a bum leg that isn't in the car.

Jesus christ I'd work all day without pay if I got to sit and watch douchebag NASCAR fans get pelted with huge fines for being so lazy.

I bet they were all so happy and smug that they gamed the system pulling up that hill to park there. I wish they could bottle up and sell that exact moment when they realize "oh poo poo, we're gonna have to prove this is legit??".

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

veedubfreak posted:

This is glorious. Also I had a coworker that fit your description to an absolute T. His wife was totally capable of walking just fine and he'd use it 100% of the time regardless if she was with him or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Yessssss all aboard the schadenfreude express!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CarForumPoster posted:

The styling is part of the engineering. Its been my observation that it is extremely common in China to just take something they see working and try to apply it with very little other thoughts except for cost. While that makes the nuts and bolts engineering come out super crappy, they're probably stealing the general mechanical design as well.

On topic:

I've posted this around here before, but I always loved this.

Shelby GLHS. After the laws changed, and they actually had a Omni that could break 85 no sweat, but Chrysler didn't want to spend the money to redesign it for a limited run car, so they added a sticker to the bottom of the stock omni speedo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's got to be a lot of joy in making a speedo do a full 360+ degree spin.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

They're actually parked between two spots, so blocking both. There's another 4 spots, none of which were full. This was 100% driver fail.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sipher posted:

They're actually parked between two spots, so blocking both. There's another 4 spots, none of which were full. This was 100% driver fail.

I saw exactly that the other day... some douche parked on top of the blue-striped unloading area between 2 handicapped spots, his wheels ending up overlapping into both spots. No plate, no placard... I planned to call it in as soon as I finished at the bank, since there's a police station literally 100 yards away, but they were leaving when I got out of the bank. Two able-bodied young people.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

That wouldn't really cone across as trolling, try a rusty Lada Niva with an evoque an overfinch badge

I had no idea what an Overfinch was, and I doubt anyone else would either. But Range Rover badging is something I have actually considered because I'm a horrible person.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

General_Failure posted:

I had no idea what an Overfinch was, and I doubt anyone else would either. But Range Rover badging is something I have actually considered because I'm a horrible person.

The kind of people who know what an Overfinch badge is and who actually care, are exactly the kind of people who would be irrationally upset at a Niva with one. They're also probably the kind of people to bludgeon you to death with a tire iron on the roadside for the transgression on the way to a nightclub to pick up some Indonesian girls to take back to their flat, so it's probably not a good idea.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Linedance posted:

The kind of people who know what an Overfinch badge is and who actually care, are exactly the kind of people who would be irrationally upset at a Niva with one. They're also probably the kind of people to bludgeon you to death with a tire iron on the roadside for the transgression on the way to a nightclub to pick up some Indonesian girls to take back to their flat, so it's probably not a good idea.

No, that's exactly what makes it the best idea.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Why not? Its certainly a thing to throw "range rover grilles" on OBS chevies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those sure are some headlights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
God no, why?

It doesn't even look anything like a Rangie.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It looks like one of those photoshopped pictures designed to confuse your brain, like the picture of the lady's face with her eyes clone-stacked above themselves.

The more you look at it the more it breaks reality.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:pcgaming: DISCO DISCO, YEAH YEAH, DISCO DISCO, YEAH YEAH. :pcgaming:

That's what comes to mind when I see those headlamps

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
From imgur today:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Z6VZo

Car could of fared worse...

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 14, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The chances of that are so astronomically tiny! Assuming that the tyre somehow cushioned the landing enough so as to avoid setting off the impact fuse.

If it's a dud, well, poo poo happens I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really hope that guy has collision insurance because I desperately want to see the claim.

Other Driver Make: MORTAR
Other Driver Model: A loving BOMB

Describe the incident: A loving BOMB FELL OUT OF THE SKY AND GOT STUCK IN MY REAR QUARTER PANEL

Describe the damage: GAS DOOR, SOME TRIM. ALSO THERE'S A loving BOMB STUCK IN THE CAR.

Did you contact the other party's insurance? NO
Were you texting while driving? A LITTLE

Claim denied.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really hope that guy has collision insurance because I desperately want to see the claim.

Describe the incident: A loving BOMB FELL OUT OF THE SKY AND GOT STUCK IN MY REAR QUARTER PANEL

Describe the damage: GAS DOOR, SOME TRIM. ALSO THERE'S A loving BOMB STUCK IN THE CAR.

Claim denied.

I'm sure some claims adjuster is going to have a field day because it will be the first time in living memory someone got to invoke the "act of war" clause to deny a claim.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Claim denied.

Hate to tell you that acts of war are specifically excluded.

FYI: Detonation of a nuclear device under any circumstances is considered an act of war.

:spergin:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Hate to tell you that acts of war are specifically excluded.

FYI: Detonation of a nuclear device under any circumstances is considered an act of war.

:spergin:

Even more satisfying to the adjuster to say " oh yes missles are covered... Oh, but not during an act of war, either declared or implied "

Although if Palestine isn't recognized as a state it may be covered as an act of rebellion or terrorism. I'm sure Israeli insurance is pretty well defined in this issue though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

From imgur today:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Z6VZo

Car could of fared worse...
If it happened in the US or some other 1st world country, it's likely their only safe option would be to blow it in place.

A quick search says it happened in Benghazi, though, so they'll probably just use a crowbar to pull it out and throw it in a river.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Night Danger Moose posted:

drat, that ugly-rear end Tron Lambo is in BC? Maybe I'll see it in person when I go back to Vancouver for Christmas.

I see it in Richmond all the time.

There's also an ugly rear end tron gt-r, and an ugly rear end tron maserati granturismo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Land Rover now has off-road cruise control so you can update your facebook or whatever while wheelin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_lLmWOl6w

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If operating an accelerator pedal is "workload" of any significance you shouldn't be driving period.

Also lol at that last shot. Looks like they added the factory Jeep wheel-lift option. My old beater would have easily had all 4 on the ground through there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Motronic posted:

Also lol at that last shot. Looks like they added the factory Jeep wheel-lift option. My old beater would have easily had all 4 on the ground through there.

Yeah, but did it have off road cruise control? I don't think so :colbert: