  • Post
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hihifellow posted:

Take me off the mailing list please!!

Stop replying, you're just making it worse!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Stop replying, you're just making it worse!

I agree.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ugh flashback. Testing a mailman list for a customer that claimed it wasn't working. I figured I'll send a test email and check the mail logs. Sure enough it went through. To roughly 4k people who had no idea they were on this list. The replay alls were terrible but the absolute worst was my direct # for work was in my signature. I had to get my number changed because of the phone calls.

Never again will I test or support an email list.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

jammyozzy posted:

poo poo pissing me off, apparently we're going to have a six sigma review of our desks. Mind's already barren so I'm going to demand some shadow foam in my desk drawers to make it easier to locate pens.

Cover your desk in G.I. Joes and claim the email about six sigma was confusing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My job had people come in and whine about all the parts and chassis everywhere.

...It's IT. What the gently caress do you want?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

flosofl posted:

I agree.

Hey since we're all here has anyone seen my tupperware? I left it in the Marketing fridge. Let me know!

P.S. Here's a photo of my cat sitting on the fence this morning, to brighten people's day! Be well god bless!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Your cat got stuck in the dishwasher or something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I happen to be allergic to cats you insensitive clod, how could you blindly email that to the whole company? I'll be speaking to HR about this!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dudley posted:

I had this today. Office manager trying to get me to use a locker to store the tech books I have under my desk because they "look untidy".

My offer to replace the entire desk with a rock garden and decorative water fountain was not entirely successful.

"The tech books are much more useful than my phone. One helps me get my job done, one interrupts me, demands my attention, forces me to stop thinking about what I've been trying to solve, and wastes my time. Let's fix that poo poo. The same applies to a whole bunch of people who work here. Fix them, then we'll talk about the desk."

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DigitalRaven posted:

"The tech books are much more useful than my phone. One helps me get my job done, one interrupts me, demands my attention, forces me to stop thinking about what I've been trying to solve, and wastes my time. Let's fix that poo poo. The same applies to a whole bunch of people who work here. Fix them, then we'll talk about the desk."

The one thing I have managed so far is to avoid both a desk phone and a company mobile.

I even got business cards when I went to a user group (I'm an ex-dev now Product Manager) and they STILL didn't have a phone number of.

Of everything I've done in my career, I think that's what I'm most proud of.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Does GoDaddy do audit logging for their domain management? Some loving idiot deleted my domain forwarding on a site that I have set as the homepage for all of my kiosks

e: Phew the fix went live in like 5 minutes

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 12, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Man, people complain about Dell support, but they're ridiculously easy compared to Lenovo's obtuse support site.

I know this is going to be a pain. New, out-of-the-box X1 Carbon blue-screened shortly after imaging, and is now blue-screening during imaging. MemTest86 tells me it's bad RAM, but I know it's not going to be that easy after this form I just filled out.

Edit: Okay, I take all of the above back. Decided to just call them (I wish they had a chat like Dell because :spergin: but oh well) and they handled it nice and quick.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Dell Support is by far the easiest to deal with if you have gold support.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Potato Alley posted:

Hey since we're all here has anyone seen my tupperware? I left it in the Marketing fridge. Let me know!

P.S. Here's a photo of my cat sitting on the fence this morning, to brighten people's day! Be well god bless!

+cc testdepartment

Your cat is 83% too marsupial, filing a bug.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I (along with a very small team) have inherited a home-grown data warehouse ETL application that was 99% written by a single guy who I worked with for few months before he left for another startup. Dude was brilliant but it's an unholy amalgamation of ruby, python, and command line utilities that I can barely make heads or tails of. It also makes (made) use of an undocumented BigQuery feature using ** to load multiple files in nested "subdirectories" from a Google Cloud Storage bucket.

Guess what Google broke today? :suicide:

<edit> On the plus side there was a tiny, adorable dog that a visitor brought to the office. More poo poo that makes you go awwww :3:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 13, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

Now a change ticket has come in for this issue, proposing a nightly scheduled server reboot as a "permanent solution".

No, goddammit! That is a loving workaround, not a bloody permanent solution, you incompetent fucks! :argh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
EverFocus DVRs. In order to access the web management interface on these things you have to disable UAC and setup a bunch of Java/ActiveX security exclusions on any computer you use to connect to them and half the time you still can't get the stupid thing to load. I have to send someone in to manually update the firmware on one because it's the last hail mary before we have to RMA a brand new unit and get a different model.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Customers who submit a support ticket three weeks after an incident, asking us for a detailed report on why their problem happened. After they :pt: the server.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

Now a change ticket has come in for this issue, proposing a nightly scheduled server reboot as a "permanent solution".

No, goddammit! That is a loving workaround, not a bloody permanent solution, you incompetent fucks! :argh:
Restarts for memory leaks is a fun thing. We had a fix like this last about 2 months - granted we have staffing 24/7 so restarting was just something for the late night people to do.
We also had someone suggest adding more memory to the server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KozmoNaut posted:

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

You're still running NT 4.0? :haw:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: Email at 17:10 on Tuesday, as I'm stepping onto the bus home. "The projector in Classroom 5 is broke. I plugged my machine in and got nothing."

Go down at 8:55 Wednesday with a couple of test laptops. All of them work just fine. Email user to the effect of "Can I get some more details, like what the gently caress machine are you using so I can test one of the same model?"

Email back ten minutes ago. "It didn't work. I don't know anything else. Also, I'm 500 miles away now so can't be any more help."

And yet I can't close it as "can't replicate" without the user signing off...

poo poo not pissing me off: playing about getting Munki set up for user-driven mac config management. Not state-based, but I think I can add that in once I'm more used to the codebase and get 95% of what I'm after from a user-facing CM system for 5% of the work. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our sales staff is a bunch of idiots. They think every spam email is real.