Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hihifellow posted:

Take me off the mailing list please!!

Stop replying, you're just making it worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Stop replying, you're just making it worse!

I agree.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ugh flashback. Testing a mailman list for a customer that claimed it wasn't working. I figured I'll send a test email and check the mail logs. Sure enough it went through. To roughly 4k people who had no idea they were on this list. The replay alls were terrible but the absolute worst was my direct # for work was in my signature. I had to get my number changed because of the phone calls.

Never again will I test or support an email list.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

jammyozzy posted:

poo poo pissing me off, apparently we're going to have a six sigma review of our desks. Mind's already barren so I'm going to demand some shadow foam in my desk drawers to make it easier to locate pens.

Cover your desk in G.I. Joes and claim the email about six sigma was confusing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My job had people come in and whine about all the parts and chassis everywhere.

...It's IT. What the gently caress do you want?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

flosofl posted:

I agree.

Hey since we're all here has anyone seen my tupperware? I left it in the Marketing fridge. Let me know!

P.S. Here's a photo of my cat sitting on the fence this morning, to brighten people's day! Be well god bless!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Your cat got stuck in the dishwasher or something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I happen to be allergic to cats you insensitive clod, how could you blindly email that to the whole company? I'll be speaking to HR about this!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dudley posted:

I had this today. Office manager trying to get me to use a locker to store the tech books I have under my desk because they "look untidy".

My offer to replace the entire desk with a rock garden and decorative water fountain was not entirely successful.

"The tech books are much more useful than my phone. One helps me get my job done, one interrupts me, demands my attention, forces me to stop thinking about what I've been trying to solve, and wastes my time. Let's fix that poo poo. The same applies to a whole bunch of people who work here. Fix them, then we'll talk about the desk."

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DigitalRaven posted:

"The tech books are much more useful than my phone. One helps me get my job done, one interrupts me, demands my attention, forces me to stop thinking about what I've been trying to solve, and wastes my time. Let's fix that poo poo. The same applies to a whole bunch of people who work here. Fix them, then we'll talk about the desk."

The one thing I have managed so far is to avoid both a desk phone and a company mobile.

I even got business cards when I went to a user group (I'm an ex-dev now Product Manager) and they STILL didn't have a phone number of.

Of everything I've done in my career, I think that's what I'm most proud of.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Does GoDaddy do audit logging for their domain management? Some loving idiot deleted my domain forwarding on a site that I have set as the homepage for all of my kiosks

e: Phew the fix went live in like 5 minutes

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 12, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Man, people complain about Dell support, but they're ridiculously easy compared to Lenovo's obtuse support site.

I know this is going to be a pain. New, out-of-the-box X1 Carbon blue-screened shortly after imaging, and is now blue-screening during imaging. MemTest86 tells me it's bad RAM, but I know it's not going to be that easy after this form I just filled out.

Edit: Okay, I take all of the above back. Decided to just call them (I wish they had a chat like Dell because :spergin: but oh well) and they handled it nice and quick.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Dell Support is by far the easiest to deal with if you have gold support.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Potato Alley posted:

Hey since we're all here has anyone seen my tupperware? I left it in the Marketing fridge. Let me know!

P.S. Here's a photo of my cat sitting on the fence this morning, to brighten people's day! Be well god bless!

+cc testdepartment

Your cat is 83% too marsupial, filing a bug.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I (along with a very small team) have inherited a home-grown data warehouse ETL application that was 99% written by a single guy who I worked with for few months before he left for another startup. Dude was brilliant but it's an unholy amalgamation of ruby, python, and command line utilities that I can barely make heads or tails of. It also makes (made) use of an undocumented BigQuery feature using ** to load multiple files in nested "subdirectories" from a Google Cloud Storage bucket.

Guess what Google broke today? :suicide:

<edit> On the plus side there was a tiny, adorable dog that a visitor brought to the office. More poo poo that makes you go awwww :3:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 13, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

Now a change ticket has come in for this issue, proposing a nightly scheduled server reboot as a "permanent solution".

No, goddammit! That is a loving workaround, not a bloody permanent solution, you incompetent fucks! :argh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
EverFocus DVRs. In order to access the web management interface on these things you have to disable UAC and setup a bunch of Java/ActiveX security exclusions on any computer you use to connect to them and half the time you still can't get the stupid thing to load. I have to send someone in to manually update the firmware on one because it's the last hail mary before we have to RMA a brand new unit and get a different model.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Customers who submit a support ticket three weeks after an incident, asking us for a detailed report on why their problem happened. After they :pt: the server.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

A memory leak is causing one of our backend servers to lock up and hang once every week or so, necessitating a restart.

Now a change ticket has come in for this issue, proposing a nightly scheduled server reboot as a "permanent solution".

No, goddammit! That is a loving workaround, not a bloody permanent solution, you incompetent fucks! :argh:
Restarts for memory leaks is a fun thing. We had a fix like this last about 2 months - granted we have staffing 24/7 so restarting was just something for the late night people to do.
We also had someone suggest adding more memory to the server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KozmoNaut posted:

You're still running NT 4.0? :haw:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo pissing me off: Email at 17:10 on Tuesday, as I'm stepping onto the bus home. "The projector in Classroom 5 is broke. I plugged my machine in and got nothing."

Go down at 8:55 Wednesday with a couple of test laptops. All of them work just fine. Email user to the effect of "Can I get some more details, like what the gently caress machine are you using so I can test one of the same model?"

Email back ten minutes ago. "It didn't work. I don't know anything else. Also, I'm 500 miles away now so can't be any more help."

And yet I can't close it as "can't replicate" without the user signing off...

poo poo not pissing me off: playing about getting Munki set up for user-driven mac config management. Not state-based, but I think I can add that in once I'm more used to the codebase and get 95% of what I'm after from a user-facing CM system for 5% of the work. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our sales staff is a bunch of idiots. They think every spam email is real.

quote:

Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:12 AM
Subject: Medical Equipment's Advice

Trust you are well.

I Mr. Mehmet Koch from Germany, OT medical Germany

We wish to placed an order with your company. Please confirm Kindly find the attached copy and confirm if you can supply.

Kindly View attachment and quote me on the exact MEDICAL Equipment's , products in the Link as well MEDICAL ADVICE ODER.

Looking forward to your prompt response.

Best Regards
Mehmet Koch/ (Managing Director)
OT medical Gm bH
Konsul-Smidt-Str. 8b D-28217 Bremen
-----------------------------------------
Phone 0421 557161-0
Fax. 0421 557161-95

E-Mail:
info@ot-medical.de
I really, really want to spend about 30 minutes crafting some sarcastic email that points out every obvious loving thing about this email that's a dead giveaway for being spam.

quote:

Below is a note from a company in Germany that is placing an order??? The company in Germany looks real but what they sell and do is not at all related to our products.

quote:

This company looks legit per Google

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bob Morales posted:

You're still running NT 4.0? :haw:

Server 2003, with a very badly coded application. Yeah, I have no idea either.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Damnit people, we make it very clear that you should only call me in the middle of the night if the server is down or there is a similar emergency. Being locked out of your account is not an emergency...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sign in as user to setup Peoplesoft. Go to connect to a network share. Oops forgot I need to connect to it with my credentials as Windows tells me I don't have permission to access as user. No problem go to map a drive using different credentials and get the "the network folder is currently mapped using a different username and password..." gently caress. No its not mapped, I tried to connect to it and got denied, just let go of the connection Windows. No I have to look up the command to list network connections and drop them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone ever bring lunch to work but still went out for food as an excuse to get the gently caress away from the office? This is one of those days

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

psydude posted:

Anyone ever bring lunch to work but still went out for food as an excuse to get the gently caress away from the office? This is one of those days

All the drat time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

psydude posted:

When the weather turns cold sometimes it nice just to sit in the car somewhere with the window cracked and the stereo on.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

More often than I wish. TBH I don't really get that stressed here often, but I still need to leave fairly often.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

psydude posted:

I sadly do that way to much. Especially as our office environment has steadily become more and more cube farm.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

psydude posted:

I don't bring a lunch to force myself to leave for a walk at some point or I'd just rot away.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7YjAuDMY0

I would add "yes please feel free to interrupt my lunch with a not work-related computer question!"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah that's the other loving thing. Whenever I eat at my desk, my boss and my coworker keep asking me to do poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Good news, Psydude! We bought everyone in the office Subway, now you don't even need to go out during lunch! Ahhh but wouldn't you know, we do need you to take a look at this problem in production and sit through this meeting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Good news, Psydude! We bought everyone in the office Subway, now you don't even need to go out during lunch! Ahhh but wouldn't you know, we do need you to take a look at this problem in production and sit through this meeting.

A $5 footlong is a cheap price to get people to work an extra hour

Some companies brag WE ALL EAT LUNCH TOGETHER EVERY DAY LOL but I don't think I would like that

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

psydude posted:

I bloody wish, we don't even have a lunch/break room and we're slap right in the middle of the city center. It's brilliant if you're loaded and want to eat out everyday; But it's either eat at the desk and get hassled being asked if I'm still on lunch and possibly get indigestion, or go outside surrounded by people. (No car for me, at most I could sit on my motorbike and chow down on a sandwich)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sheep posted:

EverFocus DVRs. In order to access the web management interface on these things you have to disable UAC and setup a bunch of Java/ActiveX security exclusions on any computer you use to connect to them and half the time you still can't get the stupid thing to load. I have to send someone in to manually update the firmware on one because it's the last hail mary before we have to RMA a brand new unit and get a different model.

This is basically every DVR on the planet, it seems. They're all Chinese garbage and rely on home-grown protocols and other poo poo that break if you so much as sneeze at them.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
My HOMEDRIVE variable is set to a Drive / Folder for which I don't even have write access. Put in a support ticket, but average turn around time is 36 hours on such tickets. The only thing in there is some crappy left over files from when we used notes when I got here a year and a half ago.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I love it when offshore people fire a scathing email indicating your team isn't being responsive enough to a request. And then me pointing out that the last word on the issue was my team asking their team to complete a modification to the environment that was impeding the integration. And then they continuing to reply all with a mysterious shift in tone asking others to complete what I asked them to complete, with my reply-all response taking them to task for missing the request edited out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Actual email from IT:

quote:

Yesterday evening (11/12/2014 – 5:30 PM ) the exchange server ran out of space on several of the mail storage Databases and log files. We have added additional space which resolved the issue.

Storage is expensive – Assist us in managing our storage costs by eliminating unnecessary emails.

We have about 200 people in our office but our income is much larger than that number would suggest. We're not even in anything media-related.

Brought to you by the same IT department that "ran out of IP addresses so please turn off wifi on your phones".

I once changed the time on the printer and when I mentioned it to the network administrator, he said, "How did you do that? It's password protected!" and looked stunned when I told him I used the default password in the manual. I wish I could replace our IT department with some of you guys :( but stay away from my local admin