Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
public service announcement: captain toad is chill as heck and totally rules

and having 3d world data on your wii unlocks a hilarious bonus mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are there any games that are doing anything cool/innovative with the gamepad screen? Or is all just mirroring or showing the game map?
ZombiU is what people usually cite as the default example of a game doing cool, innovative stuff with the gamepad. Beyond that though, the pickings are kinda slim :shrug: I guess the new Fatal Frame game might count, if it ever comes out outside of Japan.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gamepad mirroring is the only way I play Wii U now -- don't have kids, folks! -- but I'm definitely an edge case. Any game that doesn't provide off-TV play, I'm out.

Luckily MH3 patched it in a while back, that's the next game I'm getting to in my backlog.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sounds like I wouldn't be completely crazy to get a Wii U without a tv. its like a big ds.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sounds like I wouldn't be completely crazy to get a Wii U without a tv. its like a big ds.

Oh man, that's underselling the gamepad's display. It looks really great, to the point where I don't miss playing on the big HDTV at all.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

mdemone posted:

Oh man, that's underselling the gamepad's display. It looks really great, to the point where I don't miss playing on the big HDTV at all.

I'll counter this by saying so many games look soooo much more impressive on the big screen. I've been playing a lot of off-TV lately because we only have one TV in the house, and I play on the TV whenever I can. The gamepad screen just doesn't do DKC: Tropical Freeze justice.

Edit: But no, you wouldn't be crazy to play it without a TV. Some games might be difficult to figure out how to do off-TV play without instructions on the TV (for instance, Wind Waker HD starts off in TV mode, and you have to press the - button to get it to show on your gamepad), but I'm sure if you got stuck and asked here someone would be able to help you.

Edit 2: also, check here before buying a game. I know that Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 have off-TV play, but they are all but unplayable like that.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 13, 2014

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Does anyone know how to improve connectivity between the game pad and console? I sometimes want to lounge in bed while playing warriors and the connection is really spotty

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fremry posted:

I'll counter this by saying so many games look soooo much more impressive on the big screen.

Yeah, I mean that's obviously true, especially for the Nintendo art-style with clean edges and crisp colors.

I suppose the more accurate way to say it is that I never find myself thinking "drat this gamepad looks mediocre compared to HD". It pretty much pulls its weight regardless of the game.

Fremry posted:

Some games might be difficult to figure out how to do off-TV play without instructions on the TV (for instance, Wind Waker HD starts off in TV mode, and you have to press the - button to get it to show on your gamepad), but I'm sure if you got stuck and asked here someone would be able to help you.

There are a number of games for which the minus button does the switching. I think there's even one where you have to swipe down on the gamepad during the menu screen. It is true that off-TV instructions have been a bit sparse in the library so far.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario Kart DLC is pretty good. I played the Triforce cup with Link and it was solid.

Grabbing an item box in Hyrule plays the big chest fanfare and it's really cute. :3:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

As far as gimmicks go the tablet controller is at least neat and useful even when used in a limited fashion, as opposed to motion controls and similar which tended to just get shoehorned in in a way that made games actually worse. I do really love the NintendoLand asymmetric stuff, so hopefully more is to come, but the mirroring and being able to do DS stuff on virtual console is some kind of payoff anyway.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

mdemone posted:

Yeah, I mean that's obviously true, especially for the Nintendo art-style with clean edges and crisp colors.

I suppose the more accurate way to say it is that I never find myself thinking "drat this gamepad looks mediocre compared to HD". It pretty much pulls its weight regardless of the game.

Yeah, I've never felt like the Gamepad screen was ever bad enough to not play a game on it, but I always prefer my 46" plasma.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mdemone posted:

The only problem with using the gamepad display only is that the people who designed the streaming video apps are morons and they're impossible to navigate using the gamepad screen. I know it's shocking that people who can't design a functional interface for one screen also failed to do this when they had a second screen available to them, but I'm afraid it's true.

I should say, you can get around the Netflix interface, it's just more of a pain. Hulu and Amazon are completely non-functional without a television display.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FairGame posted:

To all of you who set me straight on controller stuff last night: thanks so much!

So I'm going to get the following since I currently have 1 Gamepad and 1 Wiimote Plus w Nunchuk

1 Wiimote Plus w nunchuk
1 classic controller to go into the nunchuk port on one of those guys
1 WiiU Pro controller (because I hate the wiimote)

This will give me 4 controllers for WiiU games and 2 controllers for Wii games. Hooray!
Just keep in mind that if you want to play multiplayer VC games, you'll need a second Classic Controller. NES games can be played with a sideways Wiimote, but nothing else can from what I remember.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

irlZaphod posted:

Just keep in mind that if you want to play multiplayer VC games, you'll need a second Classic Controller. NES games can be played with a sideways Wiimote, but nothing else can from what I remember.

Ah, right. Good point. Thanks again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

mdemone posted:

There are a number of games for which the minus button does the switching. I think there's even one where you have to swipe down on the gamepad during the menu screen. It is true that off-TV instructions have been a bit sparse in the library so far.

Yeah, this is where it becomes an issue, because it's almost like every game does off-TV play differently. Just the smattering of games I've played off-TV:

Super Mario 3D World: Constantly on both the TV and Gamepad, you don't need to do anything.
Wind Waker HD: Start the game, get into the actual gameplay and hit the - button.
Shovel Knight: When the game gets to the menu on the TV, there's a little white box on the Gamepad screen that you touch to get it to switch to off-TV.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: It explicitly asks you when you start whether you want TV or Gamepad.
Mario Kart 8: Start the game and on the Gamepad there's different options to choose on the Gamepad screen, one of which is off-TV.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

Genesis/Megadrive and TurboGrafx16/PCEngine games work fine on sideways wiimote.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Timely Howard posted:

public service announcement: captain toad is chill as heck and totally rules

and having 3d world data on your wii unlocks a hilarious bonus mode

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

It cracks me up that Link can't fit properly in the karts, even though you have someone like Bowser who is actually a giant monster.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

One quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to - are there any Pokemon RPG type games for the Wii/Wii U? My daughter wants a Pokemon game for Christmas but I can't find anything like that for the Wii and I heard Stadium is worthless without prior games like Pearl.

Or is there a good 3DS option since she has one of those?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rynn posted:

One quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to - are there any Pokemon RPG type games for the Wii/Wii U? My daughter wants a Pokemon game for Christmas but I can't find anything like that for the Wii and I heard Stadium is worthless without prior games like Pearl.

Or is there a good 3DS option since she has one of those?

There aren't for the Wii U. I can't answer for Wii. 3DS has a couple, Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby come to mind.

Edit: Keep in mind that Pokemon X and Pokemon Y are different variations of the same game. Same goes with Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FairGame posted:

Anyway other than pikmin and smash brothers what other wii u games should I target? Does the deus ex remake have enough in it to differentiate from the 360, especially if I never played the DLC?

If you like (hard) platformers, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a must-have. Also, Nintendoland has some surprisingly fun multiplayer games and can be found for pretty cheap.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
For someone who's only played a couple hours of Melee and doesn't have anyone local to play with, would buying Smash on Wii U be worthwhile? Is there going to be a decent amount of single player stuff? Will the online be fun (and is the Smash Tour mode playable online)? I know nobody will know the answers for sure, but advice from people who've been paying more attention would be great.

(The Duck Hunt Dog trailer is what's making me seriously consider getting the new Smash)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The event mode returns which is always fun and I'm sure online will be better then the 3DS one so I'd pick it up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

Genesis/Megadrive and TurboGrafx16/PCEngine games work fine on sideways wiimote.
Are you not missing a button on the Genesis/Mega Drive? Or does it use A? Sounds awkward if it does.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

XenoCrab posted:

For someone who's only played a couple hours of Melee and doesn't have anyone local to play with, would buying Smash on Wii U be worthwhile? Is there going to be a decent amount of single player stuff? Will the online be fun (and is the Smash Tour mode playable online)? I know nobody will know the answers for sure, but advice from people who've been paying more attention would be great.

(The Duck Hunt Dog trailer is what's making me seriously consider getting the new Smash)

Honestly, I cancelled my pre-order for exactly the reasons you are questioning it. I'm at a point in my life where socially, everyone is settling down, buying houses, getting married and having kids, so we do not get together to play video games. Looking at the single player, it didn't justify the $60 price tag for me, which stinks because I'd like to play it, but it's highly doubtful that the price will drop during the Wii U's lifetime.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Smash is unironically worth $60 just for betting on spectated matches. Watched a team battle last night where, against the odds, pink orbs (kirby / jiggly) destroyed burly men (ganon / captain falcon). It was epic.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

homeless snail posted:

It doesn't universally.

Ah. I guess I'll shelve Wind Waker in the meantime.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are there any games that are doing anything cool/innovative with the gamepad screen? Or is all just mirroring or showing the game map?

Yes, play Nintendoland. NSMBU also has a pretty fun use of it, but it's not central to the game.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I have to say that I've been having a shitload of fun recently with my WiiU. I bought it on launch and went through the doldrums of the first year, but now it's finally taken off and it's awesome.

I had a surgery recently (rear end surgery no less) so I haven't been able to sit down for the last two weeks. Prior to the surgery, I bought Bayonetta and moved the WiiU to beside the bed. So, for the last two weeks I've been playing Bayonetta 1 and 2, Shovel Knight (again ), and now today I got to play the Mario Kart DLC finally, all while lying in my bed. The fact that you can just play a console without a TV is awesome, and the games keep coming.

I was a little worried in the first year, but these last two weeks have been loving amazing, and I'm really looking forward to Captain Toad in December.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

ZombiU is the coolest use of it but Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends and Game & Wario all use it in pretty neat ways. Also the gamepad is the inventory/map in Wind Waker HD and it's ridiculously convenient because it means you never need to pause. I think the touch screen controls in Pikmin 3 are supposed to be good too if that counts.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The Mario Kart 8 DLC is pretty rad so far. Tokyo drifting everywhere as Link in a mini Blue Falcon is my new favorite thing.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Natron posted:

I have to say that I've been having a shitload of fun recently with my WiiU. I bought it on launch and went through the doldrums of the first year, but now it's finally taken off and it's awesome.

I had a surgery recently (rear end surgery no less) so I haven't been able to sit down for the last two weeks. Prior to the surgery, I bought Bayonetta and moved the WiiU to beside the bed. So, for the last two weeks I've been playing Bayonetta 1 and 2, Shovel Knight (again ), and now today I got to play the Mario Kart DLC finally, all while lying in my bed. The fact that you can just play a console without a TV is awesome, and the games keep coming.

I was a little worried in the first year, but these last two weeks have been loving amazing, and I'm really looking forward to Captain Toad in December.

So you had to move the console beside your bed to play without the TV right? How do you hook it up in that case?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

Are you not missing a button on the Genesis/Mega Drive? Or does it use A? Sounds awkward if it does.

Uses B on the underside, which is awkward but most Genesis games on VC don't really use the third button much. The sonic games for example, every button does the same thing anyway.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So you had to move the console beside your bed to play without the TV right? How do you hook it up in that case?

Yeah, I can't really have a TV in the bedroom in a place that would be comfortable, so I play on my stomach. If the system has already been set up to work on a TV, you can just navigate all the menus and stuff on the gamepad. You just hook up the power cable and nothing else. Fortunately, all the games I'm playing support off-TV play. If the Wara-Wara plaza is on your gamepad, you can just press X to switch it to the non-existent Tv screen and have the buttons and icons show up on the pad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've got some Very Important Questions concerning my Wii U, my computer monitor, and audio.

Normally I have my Wii U hooked up to my computer monitor. My monitor has some built-in speakers but they're kinda not amazing. I'm moving very soon and one of the things I've wanted to get for a while is a second computer monitor. Are there any good computer monitors that have nice speakers, or at the very least could someone show me how I could make my Wii U audio come out of my computer speakers instead of the monitor?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Man, the Wii U has some seriously dumb update management.

I got home last night and wanted to play AC4 before bed. I turn it on, it has to update. I have to be at work the next day and I won't even get to start playing for a half an hour, so I guess I'll have to play my 3DS before bed instead.

I wake up this morning to find out Mario Kart 8's DLC had finally come out! Joy! I'll pop it in and try it out before I go get ready for work. Aaand, another update. Lame.

So I go and watch Walking Dead for an hour while getting ready, and eureka, I don't have to leave for another 30 minutes. I can squeeze in a couple of races.

"New DLC has been released! Do you want to download it?"

...so it wasn't actually packaged in that big long update I just downloaded? Three updates before I can play DLC I paid for a month ago, that could have just downloaded and installed itself. PS3 does that, what's Nintendo's problem? What the f-:suicide:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For how good Nintendo's DLC is, I'll sacrifice a little on the downloading it part.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know you could just play AC4 while it downloaded the update, you dont have to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think there were two separate updates for Mario Kart 8; a lot of people have been mentioning it. One was probably for amiibo support, the other, the DLC. To be fair, they probably wanted to make sure that 100% of MK8 owners got amiibo support patched in, even if they didn't buy the DLC, hence the two updates.

• Locked thread