Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014
Red Dawn, the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

Pay to rent return of the killer tomatoes if you can.

???

Return of the killer tomatoes is on Netflix right now, at least in the US.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ActionHank posted:

Red Dawn, the original.

In the same vein, Toy Soldiers

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Detention is so good that when someone said not to watch it a page ago I smiled fondly and started re-watching it just now. The opening scene alone is so good at being totally insufferable, and it's just great seeing how they stagger and setup all the different callbacks and character subplots early on. Ione's is my favorite :)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I am watching a brother and sister aggressively grind on each other at the bar.

edit: Haha gently caress this was supposed to be in General Chat

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 13, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Criminal Minded posted:

I am watching a brother and sister aggressively grind on each other at the bar.
Go home and watch The Burbs instead, then?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm halfway through Nebraska and this is the bleakest movie I have ever seen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm halfway through Nebraska and this is the bleakest movie I have ever seen.
Ohhhh, just you wait! ;)

It's really good, though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ohhhh, just you wait! ;)

It's really good, though.

It really captures the dystopian hell of little teeny rural towns full of old people and white trash.

It had a pretty good shot of my favorite bar too.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is on Amazon Prime, and this is probably heresy to a lot of people, but outside of Gene Wilder's performance, it's legitimately bad. Charlie is a lovely kid, the cinematography is bad, and it takes nearly an hour before you get to the chocolate factory. Add this to the list of childhood nostalgia movies I shouldn't have rewatched as an adult.\

I followed it up with Burton's Batman which is, of course, still fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a worthy uhh posted:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is on Amazon Prime, and this is probably heresy to a lot of people, but outside of Gene Wilder's performance, it's legitimately bad. Charlie is a lovely kid, the cinematography is bad, and it takes nearly an hour before you get to the chocolate factory. Add this to the list of childhood nostalgia movies I shouldn't have rewatched as an adult.\

You're right, that is heresy. I think it holds up just fine. :colbert:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There is not a kid that I knew growing up that liked Charlie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Regardless, it's still way better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which I decided to watch one day to see if it was as bad as I thought, and it was indeed worse than I thought it would be.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Regardless, it's still way better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which I decided to watch one day to see if it was as bad as I thought, and it was indeed worse than I thought it would be.

They made a big mistake choosing Johnny Depp over Crispin Glover.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I rather like the songs in that version though. Shame about the entire rest of the film (and I say that as a Depp apologist).

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mister Nobody posted:

???

Return of the killer tomatoes is on Netflix right now, at least in the US.

It is? Well in that case don't pay for it

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Here you go

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Any good films on streaming for Noirvember?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Don't know how much you've seen, but Double Indemnity's on Netflix and it's a good place to start. Detour's on Hulu.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Scarlet Street and Raw Deal are pretty good as well, both on Netflix.

And Hulu has Kansas City Confidential.

Oh and if you've got Amazon Prime, watch Laura, it's one of the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just assume I've seen nothing. I'm looking to watch or rewatch anything noir, really.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Witness for the Prosecution is borderline depending on how you want to define noir, but it probably has enough of the hallmarks to squeak in. It's on Netflix.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Netflix is hard up for noir outside of Double Indemnity, but I made a list of noir movies available free online, mostly on youtube.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is Dark City up anywhere?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Warriors of the Rainbow is a pretty good movie about Taiwanese aboriginal tribesmen fighting against Japanese occupation. There's a little kid running around with an LMG killing EVERYBODY near the end of the movie which was :krad:. It's really dark overall and 2 and a half hours or so in length, for those with short attention spans. Their tribal song was pretty cool, and I kind of suspect that the Sheediq's "Rainbow Bridge" is what crazy dog and cat people are trying to pretend their pets will go when they die.

Also I noticed Machine Gun Preacher is up again or still up.. It's Gerard Butler playing the role of a crazy drug-addled biker gang member who finds Jesus, and then decides to go to Africa for missionary work. He sees some atrocities and loses his loving mind entirely, and forces everyone he knows to give him money so he can kill a bunch of LRA fighters single-handedly. The protagonist is not a likable guy, and probably not that sane - there's an amusing interview with Butler where he talks about getting into the role and how he was scared shitless of screwing it up and pissing off the dude he was playing. The guy's pretty much what Stallone et al in The Expendables were trying to pretend to be.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 13, 2014

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A MIRACLE posted:

Not that I know of, and I was looking for it just a couple of days ago. I love that film so much and I lost my DVD ages ago.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Netflix is hard up for noir outside of Double Indemnity, but I made a list of noir movies available free online, mostly on youtube.

This is awesome, thanks. Of these, I've only seen Kiss Me Deadly, and I think I like it. I think I like it a lot. It's bonkers. I'm not really sure what I think, honestly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Phase IV all the way. The only legitimately good film MST3K ever riffed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

Check https://www.canistream.it/

Also I just realized that nearly all of the links for rentals/buying the DVD are affiliate links. These guys must be raking it in.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

This is awesome, thanks. Of these, I've only seen Kiss Me Deadly, and I think I like it. I think I like it a lot. It's bonkers. I'm not really sure what I think, honestly.

Kiss Me Deadly is great but is also very much a statement on Noir itself. It's a good one to revisit after you've watched some others — for example, it's a lot clearer in its disapproval of the noir genre's misogyny (or at least identifies it more clearly). And Kiss me Deadly isn't afraid to show its protagonist being abusive in a way that other noirs might pass off as charming.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Kiss Me Deadly is great but is also very much a statement on Noir itself. It's a good one to revisit after you've watched some others — for example, it's a lot clearer in its disapproval of the noir genre's misogyny (or at least identifies it more clearly). And Kiss me Deadly isn't afraid to show its protagonist being abusive in a way that other noirs might pass off as charming.

yeah Kiss Me Deadly is a very deliberately cruel movie. the torture scene early on, though it shows very little, is unbelievably distressing.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Batman Returns is on. Should I watch it? Saw it as a tiny child and thought it was terrifying.

Like cats eating the soon-to-be catwoman.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

It's a Christmas movie, you have to wait a month.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Batman Returns is on. Should I watch it? Saw it as a tiny child and thought it was terrifying.

It's dark and there are some gruesome moments, but it's still a PG-13 movie. And by those standards it isn't even the worst PG-13 out there. Your memory has conflated the movie into something worse than it really is, I say watch it and confront your childhood demon.

The cats just bite her a bit until she wakes up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

i rewatched it this morning, it's definitely worth watching. better as a movie than the first one.

there are definitely some very dark moments.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I watched it for the first time just recently and would answer this with an emphatic yes. That movie is completely unapologetically bonkers, really made me miss the period when Burton's schtick was still fresh and charming.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
And here I thought Burton's shtick was offensive and tasteless garbage back when I was like 14 and saw Batman Returns for the first time.

It's a hot pile of crap. If you want to go psychedelic Adam West style Batman then I guess it's pretty hot, but personally I have always felt that it's just hot poo poo, and I don't care what temperature the turd is, it's still a turd.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also, as i was mentioning over in gen chat, Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman is in like the top 3 performances in a superhero movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A lot of people will argue Batman Returns commits the sin of a man who dresses up as a bat fighting a person who dresses up as a cat, and a penguin-man with less seriousness than its lofty subject material deserves.

I am not one of those people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

EDIT: ^^^^^ I am one of those people.

coyo7e posted:

And here I thought Burton's shtick was offensive and tasteless garbage back when I was like 14 and saw Batman Returns for the first time.

It's a hot pile of crap. If you want to go psychedelic Adam West style Batman then I guess it's pretty hot, but personally I have always felt that it's just hot poo poo, and I don't care what temperature the turd is, it's still a turd.

I think the Burton batman movies feel much more like comic books than the overserious recent ones. They've got the right sense of goofy joy and silliness appropriate to the subject matter.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 14, 2014

• Locked thread