Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

this game owns

EDIT: Dungeon and Lair fully cleared. This is literally the furthest I've ever gotten in this game omg

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fadam posted:

EDIT: Dungeon and Lair fully cleared. This is literally the furthest I've ever gotten in this game omg

Did you win?? I bet you got two runes at least, or will.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fadam posted:

this game owns

do not go to slime, do not go to elf, be careful generally

I believe in you, gamer :)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Enchanters are fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
go to slime elf halls

slimey elves

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

code:
64402 Hitler the Imperceptible (level 14, -8/59 HPs)
             Began as a Spriggan Enchanter on Nov 10, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Mangled by a sixfirhy (9 damage)
             ... summoned by an orc high priest
             ... on level 4 of the Orcish Mines.
             The game lasted 01:33:12 (24342 turns).

Hitler the Imperceptible (Spriggan Enchanter)      Turns: 24342, Time: 01:33:13

Health: -8/59      AC:  9    Str:  4    XL:     14   Next: 71%
Magic:  1/38       EV: 26    Int: 21    God:    Dithmenos [******]
Gold:   1754       SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 9 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     k - +4 dagger (speed)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     J - +1 robe {Archmagi}
rNeg   . . .     SustAb   .     (shield restricted)
rPois  .         Gourm    .     Y - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     q - +2 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..                    (no amulet)
Stlth  ++++++++++               T - ring of stealth
                                y - +4 ring of slaying

@: silence, regenerating, wreathed by umbra, very quick, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, uncannily stealthy
A: unfitting armour, horns 2, thin metallic scales 1, see invisible, blink 1,
herbivore 3, speed 3, sense surroundings 1, shaggy fur 1, slow metabolism 2
a: Blink, Renounce Religion
RIP I thought I could maybe pull a win with this guy but I got owned.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

I went to the elf halls and I had like thirty orcs following me, but they all got slaughtered and when I tried to recall them I got a message saying that "nothing heard my call." So I converted to Jiyva and went back to Elf 3 and I ran into a bunch of my old orcs (I recognized their names) and a bunch of Elf demonologists and over ten stressful minutes they slowly wore me down and killed me :(.

That was my best run yet and I can't wait to go hard again tonight. I love this game.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

PleasingFungus posted:

You can just leave the Orcs outside. That's what I did on my Beogh game someone came into webtiles chat while I was doing Elf and kept asking me where all my orcs were.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Also, this pisses me off more than I can put into words.

code:
The orc knight hits you with a dire flail of chaos!!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The orc knight freezes you.
You are engulfed in seething chaos.
A fistful of eyes flickers past your view.
The red devil hits you but does no damage.
The orc knight hits you with a dire flail of chaos!
You feel your power leaking away.
You are engulfed in seething chaos.
You fade into invisibility!
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
The komodo dragon is engulfed in seething chaos.
The komodo dragon bites you!
The red devil hits you but does no damage.
The orc knight hits you with a dire flail of chaos!!
You die...
Xom laughs nastily!

#   #.........#  #......# #..#...
######'#############'######..#..)
#.........................[..#..[
#............................#..[
#............................#..)
#......................##########
#..............§.§4.(..#...#...#.
'.............§§§o§....#.........
#..............§@l.....#...#...#.
#..............§§§.....##.###.###
#...###############....#...#...#.
#...#.............#....#...#...#.
'...#.............#....#...#...#.
#...#.............#....##.###.###
#)..#.............#....#..(#...#.
)...#.............#....#..[[.....
#)..#.............#....(..)#...#.

85816 | Vaults:2 | XOM: chaos upgrade
 85822 | Vaults:2 | XOM: chaos cloud
 85823 | Vaults:2 | Paralysed by you for 3 turns
 85823 | Vaults:2 | XOM: enchant monster (bad)
 85823 | Vaults:2 | XOM: smoke on damage
 85826 | Vaults:2 | Mangled by an orc knight
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/lessens/morgue-lessens-20141110-204159.txt

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
i have a +0 morningstar of holy wrath, +2 halberd of flaming, +2 antimagic battleaxe, +1 dire flail of draining, +4 great mace of protection, +2flail of protection, +3 whip of electrocution, how do i actually work out which one is best to use? often theres 1 obvious best thing but i dont know which to use of them except when something has a vulnerability. also trog has given me 2 axes, 1 polearm, and a crossbow, none of which i have any trained skill in lol. thanks trog.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3 posted:

i have a +0 morningstar of holy wrath, +2 halberd of flaming, +2 antimagic battleaxe, +1 dire flail of draining, +4 great mace of protection, +2flail of protection, +3 whip of electrocution, how do i actually work out which one is best to use? often theres 1 obvious best thing but i dont know which to use of them except when something has a vulnerability. also trog has given me 2 axes, 1 polearm, and a crossbow, none of which i have any trained skill in lol. thanks trog.

it's hard to give you clear advice on "should I switch to a whole different kind of weapon like to axes or polearms" but i think you probably don't want to (antimagic battleaxe with trog is a good way to spend your time though).

a weapon's base damage is worth more than the +2 or +4 enchantment (you can see base damage by looking at the item in your inventory)

if you're got decent M&F skill the great mace should be a good weapon for you, even if protection isn't the brand you want

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

im no expert but what i would suggest using is either the +4 great mace or the +3 whip of elec. holy wrath is a pretty useless brand until you do extended and i dont think flails are very good.

great maces need 20 skill to get to minimum delay and are really powerful so if you want to use a 2 hand mace go for that. hopefully you would find another great mace or a scroll of branding so you can get a great mace with a better brand than protection tho

whips are pretty weak but only need 12 skill to get to min delay and they attack really fast which gives more chance for your electric brand to go off. whips are also one handed so you can use a shield too if you want. if you do choose the whip be on the look out for a demon whip because they still only need 12 skill but are much more powerful.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So...should I open this door?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yes.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ah it was just full of bugs.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Aston posted:

So...should I open this door?

usually blue doors have really fun enemies behind them

my favorite one so far was a little room on zot 4 full of ancient liches, dragons, orbs of fire, and cursed toes

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Roctavian posted:

it's hard to give you clear advice on "should I switch to a whole different kind of weapon like to axes or polearms" but i think you probably don't want to (antimagic battleaxe with trog is a good way to spend your time though).

a weapon's base damage is worth more than the +2 or +4 enchantment (you can see base damage by looking at the item in your inventory)

if you're got decent M&F skill the great mace should be a good weapon for you, even if protection isn't the brand you want

Swelter Discharge posted:

im no expert but what i would suggest using is either the +4 great mace or the +3 whip of elec. holy wrath is a pretty useless brand until you do extended and i dont think flails are very good.

great maces need 20 skill to get to minimum delay and are really powerful so if you want to use a 2 hand mace go for that. hopefully you would find another great mace or a scroll of branding so you can get a great mace with a better brand than protection tho

whips are pretty weak but only need 12 skill to get to min delay and they attack really fast which gives more chance for your electric brand to go off. whips are also one handed so you can use a shield too if you want. if you do choose the whip be on the look out for a demon whip because they still only need 12 skill but are much more powerful.

thanks. those were what i was actually using so i guess i have an OK feel for what is good now.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Just to be clear since people miss this: look at the items in your inventory (press i and then the letter of the weapon) to see its stats.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my berserker died on Zot:4 when I was deliberately being reckless, because I realized the most fun thing by far was killing big swaths of dudes all at once with Devastator. So I decided to try my first spellcaster ever and it's going really well :o

code:
Ralp the Metallomancer (Gargoyle Earth Elementalist)                          Turns: 131133, Time: 23:41:01
Health: 155/155    AC: 43    Str: 18    XL:     27
Magic:  47/47      EV: 39    Int: 35    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   10169      SH: 18    Dex: 20    Spells: 13 memorised, 3 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .     a - staff of earth
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     A - +2 robe {MR+}
rNeg   + + .     SustAb   .     q - +5 shield {AC+3}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     E - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     y - +2 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  +     d - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {EV+3 Dex+6 Slay+2}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     S - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    X - amulet of Dim Light {Ward +Fly rElec rF++ rC+ rN+}
Stlth  ++++++....               x - ring of Jealousy {MR+ Int+4 Dex+3}
                                F - ring "Etza Hamu" {EV+3 Str+4 Int+2} (curse)

@: flying, studying Dodging, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: able to fly continuously, big wings, frail 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance,
unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion
}: 7/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, abyssal

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ion Helmet posted:

my berserker died on Zot:4 when I was deliberately being reckless, because I realized the most fun thing by far was killing big swaths of dudes all at once with Devastator. So I decided to try my first spellcaster ever and it's going really well :o

code:
Ralp the Metallomancer (Gargoyle Earth Elementalist)                          Turns: 131133, Time: 23:41:01

rCorr  .         Warding  +     d - +2 pair of fencer's gloves {EV+3 Dex+6 Slay+2}
MR     ++++.                    X - amulet of Dim Light {Ward +Fly rElec rF++ rC+ rN+}

@: flying, studying Dodging, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: able to fly continuously, big wings, frail 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance,

Nice! I never got a GrEE off the ground.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Found a +7 singing sword on D:3...On my enchanter. RIP

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
cleared lair for the first time. i got some +7 dire flail "of a bazaar" that gives me +2 fire resist and +1 negative resist and it freezes people. i also have a +3 antimagic demon whip. in terms of armour i have regular old cloak, platemail, boots, gloves etc all enchanted to +2ish, an anticorrosion amulet, and i have rings of cold resist (so with them and the flail my fire/cold/neg are all 2 resistance) but no other cool rings really. What should i do with my scroll of acquirement?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Ion Helmet posted:

code:

You're a garg with 18 str, get a better armour than an MR robe.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

cleared lair for the first time. i got some +7 dire flail "of a bazaar" that gives me +2 fire resist and +1 negative resist and it freezes people. i also have a +3 antimagic demon whip. in terms of armour i have regular old cloak, platemail, boots, gloves etc all enchanted to +2ish, an anticorrosion amulet, and i have rings of cold resist (so with them and the flail my fire/cold/neg are all 2 resistance) but no other cool rings really. What should i do with my scroll of acquirement?

Get a wand. It's got a good chance of giving you one of these things: hasting, heal wounds and teleport.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
His defenses are kind of awesome, robe or not. Robe of the Archmagi would be a pretty solid choice.

Good job doing tomb that poo poo is hard/annoying, what did you kill mummies with?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

His defenses are kind of awesome, robe or not. Robe of the Archmagi would be a pretty solid choice.

Good job doing tomb that poo poo is hard/annoying, what did you kill mummies with?

Archmagi would be good yeah. Too bad QDA doesn't exist in 0.15 or it would be perfect.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thug Lessons posted:

You're a garg with 18 str, get a better armour than an MR robe.

Nothing really hits me in melee though and I thought heavier armor interferes with spellcasting/evasion. Honestly I don't know why this character seems so tough, it felt like my berserker got hit harder even in plate. I'm playing the daily(?) builds on crawl.akrasiac.org though and Ctrl+F reveals that I do have a quicksilver dragon hide laying on Depths:5, I think is what QDA means right

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shatter!!! I think the Vaults:5 ambush thing was my favorite part of the game to shatter so far.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ion Helmet posted:

Shatter!!! I think the Vaults:5 ambush thing was my favorite part of the game to shatter so far.

my favorite thing to shatter is tomb because its funny as poo poo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ion Helmet posted:

I figured that would be scary because of killing a bunch at once and getting death cursed, but fair enough, I haven't tried it. Shattering open a wall to skip a section sounds fun. Shattering vaults:5 is super fun and even if my GrEE died in slime after that I was pretty satisfied from doing that.

You feel tough because you have really high EV and AC. A lot of characters only really go hard on one or the other, but high EV means most attacks miss, and high AC means the ones that hit do a bunch of reduced damage. Your old dude was probably getting hit a whole lot more often even if the damage was per hit was lower. It almost certainly helps that you can kill stuff before it reaches you.

QDA is cool because it has great stats but you can't enchant it at all once it's armour, so it only needs one enchant scroll of investment. May be worth trying out - your spell failure rate will go up a bit and your EV will go down some, but your AC will go up nicely. Comparing the AC+EV of both options is a good rough estimate of what's better, assuming neither AC nor EV is all that low. Robe of the archmagi would make your spells stronger which is cool as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 13, 2014

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I figured that would be scary because of killing a bunch at once and getting death cursed, but fair enough, I haven't tried it. Shattering open a wall to skip a section sounds fun. Shattering vaults:5 is super fun and even if my GrEE died in slime after that I was pretty satisfied from doing that.

You feel tough because you have really high EV and AC. A lot of characters only really go hard on one or the other, but high EV means most attacks miss, and high AC means the ones that hit do a bunch of reduced damage. Your old dude was probably getting hit a whole lot more often even if the damage was per hit was lower. It almost certainly helps that you can kill stuff before it reaches you.

QDA is cool because it has great stats but you can't enchant it at all once it's armour, so it only needs one enchant scroll of investment. May be worth trying out - your spell failure rate will go up a bit and your EV will go down some, but your AC will go up nicely. Comparing the AC+EV of both options is a good rough estimate of what's better, assuming neither AC nor EV is all that low. Robe of the archmagi would make your spells stronger which is cool as well.

Very good info, thank you!!! I'm going to use the QDA :cool:

The Tomb was only hard on the first level, well that's not true it was all pretty tough, but after I made it into the center area of Tomb:1 I shattered open that second ring area and slowly pulled those monsters out, and once that part was connected and clear I had three down stairs to choose from to dive down and then heal back up upstairs, instead of being forced to go through linearly. Gargoyles seem kinda like easy mode against death curses especially, the ones that hurt me most were the stat drains which I'm still feeling consequences from a bit now. I used up a lot of restore potions there since I didn't have a sustain item (I do now but I don't feel like it's worth using it against the Hell environment stat drains and the backfires of my crystal ball of mana, but these take their toll).

I had a super hard time trying to fight the Royal Jelly and came close to dying several times, until I realized I could just lure her away and come down a different staircase to shatter open the treasure chambers. Since then though I trained up Fire magic quite a bit just for Firestorm, and went back for slime revenge:
:melter:

That reminds me, by far the worst non-unique monsters I've run into as GrEE are Caustic Shrikes. They must have really high evasion(?) because Iron Shot was my go-to single target spell and on floors where everything else was pretty easy, I could empty my MP just trying to kill a single shrike one-on-one. But they come in packs and fly super fast and stack up so much corrosion I can't even try to whack them with my staff, argh. I bet Lee's Rapid Deconstruction is what I should have been using, I just realized lol, but I had no idea how that spell even worked back then.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Caustic shrikes are insane. They're probably the strongest base monster in the game besides an orb of fire or a greater mummy, and they come in packs.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
wtf, caustic shrikes and quicksilver dragon armour? i haven't played at all since the last tourney but trunk sounds awesome right now. What does QDA do speed you up or something?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10 AC and MR+ it seems. Maximum +0 enchant

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah it has plate armour AC but is unenchantable, and has less encumbrance than ring mail.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 13, 2014

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
I beat lair for the first time, then did orc, then did elf but died on elf:3 because they pretended to be weak, then all cast hellfire on the same turn to instakill me. Its ok though because i just acquired a +1 vampiric eveningstar on D:6

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009
I died :stonk:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

F

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

I beat lair for the first time, then did orc, then did elf but died on elf:3 because they pretended to be weak, then all cast hellfire on the same turn to instakill me. Its ok though because i just acquired a +1 vampiric eveningstar on D:6

elf 3 is really tough. i usually skip it or save it until way later in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I highly recommend Elf:3 if you are using Devastator

• Locked thread