Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Emalde posted:

For non-manga readers, what does this mean?

I'm guessing he means how in the original (set quite a few years ago), Kana was a sukeban type, and in modernizing the setting they did away with that and modified her appearance to fit more with the current fashion in Japanese juvenile delinquency. Outside of her appearance she's (so far) more or less just like she is in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Wow I know I saw that coming but it still didn't cause the feels to happen any less. Awesome.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It's been so long since I read this series that tons of it is new to me all over again. Totally forgot about this trainwreck. Good lord that ending was brutal.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Candy Dawn posted:

Wow I know I saw that coming but it still didn't cause the feels to happen any less. Awesome.

I'm just shocked that it happened so early in the series.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It feels a bit weird that this was just another miniscule coincidence on top of an already miniscule coincidence (that Shinichi got infected by Migi in the first place). It could have been any random human female that got attacked but it happens to be Shinichi's mom. And of course in his initial freakout he is interpreting it as if the Parasytes are actively destroying his life and the fire for revenge has now been lit, but the means of getting to this end feels roundabout and shallow.

It's not breaking the show, and there's still a chance to tie up loose ends/handwave an in-story explanation, but it took away from the impact of the climax. The execution was pretty good though regardless.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Jeez, that was not an episode to watch before bed. :smith:

Somehow despite all the signs and flags, I didn't actually expect his mom to get flat out body snatched until I saw them there looking at the sunset. I figured something might happen to her due to the OP, but not that, or this early on.

acu
Oct 13, 2014
I hate that I paid attention to the OP and saw his mum's face with the lines, it just made this episode really predictable. The ending was brutal though, I was expecting Migi to just straight up fight, not get blocked by Shinichi.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did Shinichi's mom die this early in the manga? I could have sworn it wasn't a thing until like the halfway point.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Did Shinichi's mom die this early in the manga? I could have sworn it wasn't a thing until like the halfway point.

Yeah. I reread the manga a week ago and it really moves a lot faster than I remember it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Her death and the stuff in this episode take place in the Chapter 12 range, so yeah it's fairly early.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I don't recall if this will be one or two cours series. It's moving pretty fast and I can't say I didn't expect the sudden drama scene in the latest episode.

Is Shinichi now semi-immortal? That removes some of the tension as now we know he's a challenge to kill anyway. I can't be the only person who thinks Migi has a dry sense of humor, right?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alder posted:

I don't recall if this will be one or two cours series. It's moving pretty fast and I can't say I didn't expect the sudden drama scene in the latest episode.

Seems to be 24 episodes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alder posted:

Is Shinichi now semi-immortal? That removes some of the tension as now we know he's a challenge to kill anyway. I can't be the only person who thinks Migi has a dry sense of humor, right?

Why would he be? The parasyte has only taken his right arm, everything else is just as vulnerable. So just like another parasyte host can die from a car crash so can Shinichi

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
While he was kind of jumping the gun by declaring that, he presumably assumed that since the protagonist can't really die in episode 5.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Blhue posted:

While he was kind of jumping the gun by declaring that, he presumably assumed that since the protagonist can't really die in episode 5.

Plus they were hinting at it during the episode with Migi talking about how it's likely Shinichi's body might be changing as a result of their symbiosis.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I thought the ending scene felt forced and the leadup contrived but that's just beating a dead horse at this point. I also think Migi would literally explode from information overload if he read about bees considering how dense he is when it comes to altruism.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

glomkettle posted:

Plus they were hinting at it during the episode with Migi talking about how it's likely Shinichi's body might be changing as a result of their symbiosis.

Likewise, Shinichi gets beat up a ton from just walking around the streets by his HS by random punks. Also, suburban Japan looks dangerous as hell in this anime. So far I can accept they (probably) weren't attempting to kill him but for a normal person it would still take some time to recover.

OK, I can accept when in JRPGs characters can drink healing potions but eh, it's a little odd to see him get right up after being kicked around for 15 min and walk home :11tea:

Maybe Shinichi is now a mutant alien hybrid.

The altruism talk is awkward because I agree with Migi how it's more suicidal to confront a mob on your own w/o backup. I mean, not only will your friend continue to be punched but now you too can share this great experience :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, I was not expecting that. I'm super hyped for next episode now.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
There are a few more notable deaths coming, I remember them hitting me a lot harder than Shinichi's mom which happened quite early in the manga IIRC.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Things are popping off now!! Why can't it be next week already :suspense:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parasyte's true colours are finally revealed, it's actually a harem show!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Oh man, I can only assume what Migi wanted to tell Shinchi is that he's become some kind of heightened hybrid.

That seawall moment :aaaaa:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

That episode was actually good. I could feel dem protagonist feels. And the music toward the end, even if not some great composition, kind of fit the scene.

edit: The same rough melody was used at least from the moment Murano met Izumi in the episode, and at the motel, and at the hospital Just sped up.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 13, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Man oh man I can't wait for the brutal as gently caress (manga) shotgun extermination :black101:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 14, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Man, it's been a while since I've fell for a "hey, look at my knowledge of the ~original media~" post. Come on, label your spoilers.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Report and move on. The more people quote it, the more people are gonna look at it.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, that episode. The true shounen roots are suddenly setting in. And I really don't want his dad to have anything else happen to him, yet given what I've seen so far I'm quite concerned. I sure hope there's some vaguely happy ending at the end of all this. :smith:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
That tiny spoiler around a single short word definitely makes it impossible to understand what you're talking about.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Alder posted:

Given that Migi's healing seems to have come at a cost, I don't think so. If they kept receiving potentially fatal injuries there would be a point where Migi would probably be unable to retain his consciousness after a healing, which could potentially make for a "I GIVE MY LIFE TO SAVE YOU, PARTNER" ending, but short of that I don't see it coming up too much again.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Given that Migi's healing seems to have come at a cost, I don't think so. If they kept receiving potentially fatal injuries there would be a point where Migi would probably be unable to retain his consciousness after a healing, which could potentially make for a "I GIVE MY LIFE TO SAVE YOU, PARTNER" ending, but short of that I don't see it coming up too much again.

more spoilers possibly

I think judging by how the wound looks maybe migi left a chunk of himself in shinichi's heart?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This was the best episode since the first one, and it made me realize I would like this show a lot more if Migi died or became unsentient. Migi isn't a character as much as an exposition machine and high school philosophy class who constantly follows the main character, and since Shinichi has learned enough and gotten his own superpowers, I think this episode would have been great if Migi just never woke up.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

This episode actually hit me a lot harder than the last one. I think it was mostly Shinichi's face. He just looks so old for about the first half or two thirds of it. Even after he's slept and looks a little better he just seems to have aged so much. They didn't draw much attention to it in the dialogue but it was a really jarring change that did much more to change the tone of the story than his new powers or migi's new need to sleep.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

glomkettle posted:

This episode actually hit me a lot harder than the last one. I think it was mostly Shinichi's face. He just looks so old for about the first half or two thirds of it. Even after he's slept and looks a little better he just seems to have aged so much. They didn't draw much attention to it in the dialogue but it was a really jarring change that did much more to change the tone of the story than his new powers or migi's new need to sleep.

Migi specifically mentions having to use the cells from his body to help the regenerative process, and this took several days, so yeah I imagine that 2-3 days of rapid cell degeneration will probably "age" your body some.

Plus now he's super chiseled and sexy :swoon:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Emalde posted:

Migi specifically mentions having to use the cells from his body to help the regenerative process, and this took several days, so yeah I imagine that 2-3 days of rapid cell degeneration will probably "age" your body some.

I didn't mean physically so much as emotionally. Though just his taking off his glasses makes him look a lot older on its own.

E: you're not wrong about the last point though

glomkettle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 13, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm just imagining him discussing the whole series of events with his Dad...

"So, the Momster impaled me clean through the heart with her-"
"Don't be stupid, Shinichi. You didn't get stabbed in the heart."
*SHIRT RIP* "Really?"

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I really wonder how some of the plot elements will coincide with the modern tech.
Edit: RIP tablet

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

glomkettle posted:

This attention to detail really impressed me. More so at how gaunt he looked right after he woke up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Emalde posted:

In this episode Shinichi becomes Spider-man after a near-death experience and quits HS to become a superhero.

Also, we witness the PWR of interspecies friendship and aliens aren't always trying to kill us. I did feel somewhat sad for his father because not only he lost his wife but now he thinks he's going crazy.

Anyone want to explain why Shinichi looks buffer than before? Unless he always worked out on his own but I just never noticed it before.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

shonenprotagonist.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

Anyone want to explain why Shinichi looks buffer than before? Unless he always worked out on his own but I just never noticed it before.

That's easy, and doesn't even need much spoilerchat, because it was covered in this episode - Migi's emergency surgery seems to have considerably enhanced his physical capabilities by further integrating him with his superhuman parasite. Anyone who can hurdle walls taller than they are in a single jump is probably going to have some decent muscle tone.

• Locked thread