Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ms Boods posted:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

it looks more like a regular legionary helmet but all pimped out for Gladiator looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also googling Sutton Hoo Helmet brings up a helmet(s) that look nothing like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My favorite mistake in Gladiator is the dude walking around in blue jeans in the background for a second or so during one of the earlier scenes, where Russell is petting a horse or something. I guess something like that is easy to miss if you aren't specifically looking for it, but you'd think they'd be extra careful about stuff like that for a "historical"/period movie.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
While on Gladiator, not so irritating as i doubt anyone picked up on it outside of the behind the scenes stuff, but I like how the Germanic Tribe at the start do the same chant as heard in the 1970's film Zulu. As in it is literally the same soundboard.

Pretty sure it was just a homage but fun nonetheless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Murphy Brownback posted:

My favorite mistake in Gladiator is the dude walking around in blue jeans in the background for a second or so during one of the earlier scenes, where Russell is petting a horse or something. I guess something like that is easy to miss if you aren't specifically looking for it, but you'd think they'd be extra careful about stuff like that for a "historical"/period movie.

Gladiator is one huge series of irritating moments, but the biggest is the opening battle. If Maximus Dickheadus Corvinus had led a legion like that then there would have been no need for a convoluted plot to make him a gladiator. He would have been crucified, and not a single person in Rome would have thought it wrong.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also like the Tigers that sound like Leopards.

One fight i always liked was Achilles vs Boagrius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-uMIZGETs

Straight to the point. The first mistake kills you.

Mans has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Nov 12, 2014

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
More of an irrationally irritating visual media moment: People's eyes quickly darting back and forth between the eyes of the person to whom they're speaking, especially during close ups of super intense conversations. Obviously this is how people really look at each other when they're speaking; I know that when I'm speaking with someone and I'm "looking them in the eye" I tend to switch from eye to eye without even realizing it because I'm not just going to stare at the bridge of their nose or something. But I noticed this in film and television as a kid and now I can't not notice it and it constantly pulls me out of the moment because I'm too focused on their eyes rapidly moving back and forth to pay attention to anything else. Weed seems to help with this problem.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Jedit posted:

Gladiator is one huge series of irritating moments, but the biggest is the opening battle. If Maximus Dickheadus Corvinus had led a legion like that then there would have been no need for a convoluted plot to make him a gladiator. He would have been crucified, and not a single person in Rome would have thought it wrong.

What did he do wrong? I figured as long as a general was winning wars and bringing glory to Rome he could get away with a whole ton of dumb poo poo.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Gatekeeper posted:

I know that when I'm speaking with someone and I'm "looking them in the eye" I tend to switch from eye to eye without even realizing it because I'm not just going to stare at the bridge of their nose or something.

I'm high-functioning autistic and when I was a kid I was taught to make eye contact with people by practising staring at the bridge of their nose or their eyebrows for a second or two, then glancing away or at another part of their face so they wouldn't feel uncomfortable, then repeating that. Doing that becomes second nature as you get older, but I still hadn't noticed that most people look from eye to eye until you pointed that out. Maybe more :spergin: actors in films would solve your problem!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

What did he do wrong? I figured as long as a general was winning wars and bringing glory to Rome he could get away with a whole ton of dumb poo poo.

He accused the Caesar's son of killing the Caesar. The previous night Maximus had been named the successor to turn control of Rome back over to the Senate. When the son was told this, he killed the Caesar. The son tried to play it off like he'd died in his sleep but Maximus called him out on it so the son ordered him be put to death. As far as the son knew, he was dead.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Nov 12, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MindlessHavok posted:

He accused the Caesar's son of killing the Caesar. The previous night Maximus had been named the successor to turn control of Rome back over to the Senate. When the son was told this, he killed the Caesar. The son tried to play it off like he'd died in his sleep but Maximus called him out on it so the son ordered him be put to death. As far as the son knew, he was dead.

But thats got nothing to do with Jedit stating he led the army wrong or something.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

But thats got nothing to do with Jedit stating he led the army wrong or something.

Oh. Right.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was leading a legion into open rebellion against the new emperor.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So I just watched Inception over the weekend after having seen Interstellar, since I haven't seen it in a while and I really do enjoy the film. However, watching it brought something up in my mind that bugged me ever since I first saw it in theaters. It's not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the film (yet), but it's like a gnawing thing in the back of my mind that I can't quite ignore.

I actually posted about this in Cinema Discusso because I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why this happens. Obvious spoilers ahead. The issue has to do with the Kick that the cast sets up in the three stage dream.

The question is in two parts:

1.) The original plan was for the Kicks to be perfectly synchronized. Eames blows up the fortress as Arthur takes out the floor of Room 528 as Yusuf drives the van off the bride. But Yusuf has no choice to drive off the bridge early to avoid getting killed by Fischer's projections. This results in Arthur's dream losing its gravity and it causes an avalanche in Eames's dream. They miss the first kick and have to catch the second kick, which is the van hitting the water. But what I've always wondered is this: Why didn't the first kick wake Arthur up? I can understand the rest of the cast, since their consciousnesses were one level down in Eames dream, but Arthur was still awake in the hotel, so I feel like the van driving off the bridge should have woken him up, which would have destabilized the Hotel dream and brought the entire plan crashing down.

2.) What was the point of Eames blowing up the fortress? By the time he sets off the charges, everyone in the fortress is already awake except for Saito, who is dead, and Cobb, who is in Limbo trying to find Saito. When Cobb and Saito meet, it's shown that they only way they can escape is to kill themselves, so it isn't as if creating a kick in the fortress would bring them back. So why bother if Arthur's kick is designed to bring them back to the Hotel dream?

I'm honestly completely unaware of any explanation that reconciles these questions I have with the logic presented in the film. Is this just a case of Chris Nolan not really caring about the hard logic of the film and preferring to film stuff because it looks cool? Because that would not surprise me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't they need to pair music with the Kick or something? Kick alone isn't enough?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Mans posted:

He was leading a legion into open rebellion against the new emperor.

Well yeah that wouldn't fly in Rome obviously, but Jedit said something about the opening battle specifically was enough to get Maximum nailed up. I was just wondering if he was using seriously stupid formations, or if the range of the archers was treasonous, or that he was breaking some mega rule about riding horses through fire.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Aphrodite posted:

Don't they need to pair music with the Kick or something? Kick alone isn't enough?
The music was only a tool to make sure that the kicks were synchronized. It should have allowed Arthur to kick the crew in the hotel at the same time that Yusuf drove the van off the bridge. I'm assuming this is necessary because if Arthur wakes up while the others are in Eames's dream one level down, then the Hotel dream will collapse and they'll get dropped into Limbo, but I don't think the film necessarily states this. The part that bugs me is that I feel like that's exactly what should have happened when Yusuf drove the van off the bridge in the first place.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've no idea about why the van going off the bridge didn't wake Arthur but isn't Ariadne asleep in the fortress? She goes with Cobb to rescue Fischer from limbo after he gets shot.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pilchenstein posted:

The music is just to let the dreamers know when it's time to kick the next level down. I've no idea about why the van going off the bridge didn't wake Arthur but isn't Ariadne asleep in the fortress? She goes with Cobb to rescue Fischer from limbo after he gets shot.
I thought that too, but I don't think that's what happens for three reasons:

1.) I'm 90% sure that she was awake when Eames blew up the fortress.
2.) If she was counting on the Fotress exploding to kick her, why did she throw herself off the balcony in Limbo?
3.) Cobb was also in Limbo with them, but he doesn't wake up from any of the kicks, including Eames's explosion. The only way he, or anyone apparently, can escape limbo is by killing themselves, which is why Ariadne and Fischer go off the balcony.

This may be a ridiculously pendantic thing to get fixated on, but this is pretty much the thread for pedantic fixations so I guess it belongs here more than anywhere else!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Strange Matter posted:

I thought that too, but I don't think that's what happens for three reasons:

1.) I'm 90% sure that she was awake when Eames blew up the fortress.
2.) If she was counting on the Fotress exploding to kick her, why did she throw herself off the balcony in Limbo?
3.) Cobb was also in Limbo with them, but he doesn't wake up from any of the kicks, including Eames's explosion. The only way he, or anyone apparently, can escape limbo is by killing themselves, which is why Ariadne and Fischer go off the balcony.

This may be a ridiculously pendantic thing to get fixated on, but this is pretty much the thread for pedantic fixations so I guess it belongs here more than anywhere else!
I found the scene on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBH-8B5uN90

Fischer's kick is the defibrillator Eames uses (and being thrown off the balcony), Ariadne goes over the balcony when they see the skyscrapers start collapsing in response to the fortress explosion. I'm going to have to watch the entire film again now (like I need an excuse) but having time to think about it, don't they say early on that because of the sedatives, they won't wake up from a regular kick (ie, just dropping the dreaming version of themselves) and they'll need to fall in the dream too. Which would be why Arthur doesn't wake up, assuming that's right.

Unrelatedly, "I was disappointed that you tried" is one of my favourite moments in any film ever, it just sells the entire loving plot. But this isn't the thread for praise, so I'll go wipe away a tear elsewhere. :v:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pilchenstein posted:

Fischer's kick is the defibrillator Eames uses (and being thrown off the balcony), Ariadne goes over the balcony when they see the skyscrapers start collapsing in response to the fortress explosion. I'm going to have to watch the entire film again now (like I need an excuse) but having time to think about it, don't they say early on that because of the sedatives, they won't wake up from a regular kick (ie, just dropping the dreaming version of themselves) and they'll need to fall in the dream too. Which would be why Arthur doesn't wake up, assuming that's right.
Appreciate the clarification on the timing of the Fortress Explosion.

Yusuf's exact description of his compound:

quote:

ARTHUR
But how are we going to feel that through the sedation?

YUSUF
That's the clever part. I customize the sedative to leave inner ear function unimpaired. That way, however deep you sleep, the sleeper will still feel falling

The explanation that a feeling of freefall within the dream is necessary is a good one, but it isn't supported by the script as far as I can tell.

EDIT: The script continues:

quote:

ARTHUR
But even that won't cut through three layers of deep sleep.

COBB
The trick is to devise a kick for each level, then synchronize them to get a snap that penetrates all three layers

So there may be some support to that but it's extremely unclear.

Strange Matter has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Nov 12, 2014

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

Well yeah that wouldn't fly in Rome obviously, but Jedit said something about the opening battle specifically was enough to get Maximum nailed up. I was just wondering if he was using seriously stupid formations, or if the range of the archers was treasonous, or that he was breaking some mega rule about riding horses through fire.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but traditionally the Romans would never break formation and fight the bigger, stronger more ferocious Germans in single combat. They'd hide behind their big shields, let the Germans repeatedly bash their weapons against them until they tire themselves out. When the opportunity presented itself, the Romans would stab groins or legs with their swords.

At the end of John Wick does he steal someone's dog from the vet. Either that or the dog scheduled to be put down. So he may have got a dog bowel cancer or something.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Mans posted:

it looks more like a regular legionary helmet but all pimped out for Gladiator looks.

Not that one, just before he walks into the arena he picks that helmet off a rack containing a number of them. The Sutton Hoo Helmet is sitting on the rack.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Pilchenstein posted:

I quite like the one where tough guys crack their neck from side to side before a fight. I get headaches that go away if I do that and it's way harder to do than just moving your head left and right - I end up looking like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon.

I can actually loudly crack my neck just by tilting it left or right. I am, however, not a tough guy.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ego-bot posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but traditionally the Romans would never break formation and fight the bigger, stronger more ferocious Germans in single combat. They'd hide behind their big shields, let the Germans repeatedly bash their weapons against them until they tire themselves out. When the opportunity presented itself, the Romans would stab groins or legs with their swords.

At the end of John Wick does he steal someone's dog from the vet. Either that or the dog scheduled to be put down. So he may have got a dog bowel cancer or something.

My friend noticed a "TO BE EUTHANIZED" stamp on the paperwork, and I imagine it might be a shelter instead of a vet (although I don't know if a shelter would have those supplies).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ego-bot posted:

Exactly. Maximus was basically reenacting the Battle of Teutoberg Forest, where three Roman legions were annihilated.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In Batman Returns, the Penguin implants a device on the underside of the Batmobile that allows him to control it remotely. So, Batman is trapped inside while Penguin's on his joyride, figures out that there's something on the car that shouldn't be there, then punches through the floor of the car in order to get to it. This is the Batmobile. It is bulletproof, crash-proof, explosion-proof, but you can just bash your way through the floor like it's an ancient rusty pickup truck?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lamprey Cannon posted:

In Batman Returns, the Penguin implants a device on the underside of the Batmobile that allows him to control it remotely. So, Batman is trapped inside while Penguin's on his joyride, figures out that there's something on the car that shouldn't be there, then punches through the floor of the car in order to get to it. This is the Batmobile. It is bulletproof, crash-proof, explosion-proof, but you can just bash your way through the floor like it's an ancient rusty pickup truck?

Its the goddamn Batman!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Maybe it's like one-way glass.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

Exactly. Maximus was basically reenacting the Battle of Teutoberg Forest, where three Roman legions were annihilated.
Laugaricio, actually, which was a different kettle of fish entirely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Batman Returns

There's a lot of goofy and illogical poo poo in Batman Returns.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a lot of goofy and illogical poo poo in Batman Returns.

I'm not sure if this is irrationally irritating or irrationally wonderful.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Didn't he just lead the cops to his lair in that scene? Wouldn't they trawl the water for his body and find the tunnel?

God the Tim Burton movies are so much worse than everyone remembers them to be.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They are which is why it's impressive how much better they are than the Nolan movies.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mind the walrus posted:

They are which is why it's impressive how much better they are than the Nolan movies. :smuggo:

Fixed that for you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mind the walrus posted:

They are which is why it's impressive how much better they are than the Nolan movies.

I can never hate the Nolan movies because they somehow made audiences laugh at a terrorist blowing up a hospital. I can even overlook the not-so-subtle conservative praise in the movies.

Which leads me to my own irritating movie thing: The Nolan Batman flicks are just huge, sloppy blowjobs to the conservative mindset. "OH NO! TERRORIST IS OUT AND ABOUT! BETTER SPY ON THE ENTIRE CITY TO FIND HIM!" "OH NO! THOSE DIRTY BROWNS FILTHY POORS TERRORISTS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE CITY! BETTER ESTABLISH ORDER REALLY QUICK!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I love that batman made a whole thing about tapping phones, but in Avengers it's a throw away line that SHIELD monitors basically everything.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can never hate the Nolan movies because they somehow made audiences laugh at a terrorist blowing up a hospital. I can even overlook the not-so-subtle conservative praise in the movies.

Which leads me to my own irritating movie thing: The Nolan Batman flicks are just huge, sloppy blowjobs to the conservative mindset. "OH NO! TERRORIST IS OUT AND ABOUT! BETTER SPY ON THE ENTIRE CITY TO FIND HIM!" "OH NO! THOSE DIRTY BROWNS FILTHY POORS TERRORISTS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE CITY! BETTER ESTABLISH ORDER REALLY QUICK!"
Nolan's Batman films obviously took inspiration from real life events and controversies, but there really is not a consistent or coherent partisan message to take from them. You can tit-for-tat bits and pieces that can be interpreted as conservative or liberal.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Screaming Idiot posted:

"OH NO! TERRORIST IS OUT AND ABOUT! BETTER SPY ON THE ENTIRE CITY TO FIND HIM!"
That's supposed to make you think Batman is going too far though - the fact that audiences reacted to that with a resounding "meh" is what gave us Person of Interest. So at least some good came from everyone not giving a poo poo about mass surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If people going "meh" at having their civil right violated so they can be spied upon to ensure their own safety led us to Person of Interest, then keep spying Obama because I really like Person of Interest.