Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jeza posted:

In Bangkok at the minute. Is there an established opinion on whether Muay Thai fights are worth the foreigner markup? Also open for recommendations on places to go get a chill drink. I'm staying off Silom Road.

I haven't done anything but arrive and go out to eat somewhere where "mixed beans with kaffir lime leaf" means a gigantic bowl of fried salted peanuts, coated in more fried kaffir lime leaf. Then I went snooping round the red light district for ~cultural~ reasons and wandered down what Im going to call "gay street" which turned out to be a dead end, which was embarrassing, then had to walk back the way I came where a bunch of front of house peeps come out and stroke me and tell me Im beautiful.
I've been told repeatedly that you should wait to go to local muay thai fights in the province. I'm not a huge fan, so I haven't been, but I can imagine it being more exciting and less of a gouge. Still, you get gouged for so little that if you really want to go see one at the big Bangkok arena it would be worth the experience probably.

My friend used to own the bar at the end of Soi 2, it was the only straight bar on the soi. Didn't last, heh. On Friday nights the local bars line the entire road with a red carpet and have ladyboy beauty pageants and such, it's quite a sight. If you ever want a back way out, the last bar on the right at the very end has a back exit into a parking lot annd you wan walk back to Silom. I really like Madrid Cafe, the only bar in Patpong worth going to, but it's really more of historic and expat watering hole value. Silom's kind of weird, it's not a great place to hang out. There's Molly Malone's and Roadhouse and the stuff on Thaniya in between, but it's kind of a CBD by day and a split between gay sex tourists and bewildered non-gay sex and non-sex tourists by night. If you walk to the head of Soi Convent, which is the big street opposite Patpong leading away (the street Molly Malone's is on), start walking down Convent on the right and turn right at your first alley there's a very cool French restaurant/bar down there that's a chill place to drink, but it's not a tourist hangout at all, just a very pretty bar (Indigo). If you cross Patpong to the next road North, Surawong, there are a bunch of really random bars there, but none are very good. Personally, I'd just get the gently caress out of Silom, because all the options that are moderately okay are far from Silom central on foot and even then not that interesting.

Hop the BTS to Asoke and walk either direction on Sukhumvit from there. I'm not saying this is a great place, but if you're a tourist it'll be a lot easier to find something interesting to sit in and people-watch. Soi 8 probably has the most chill normal bars that locals hang out at and where you won't be harangued by bargirls, but as the street numbers get smaller the insanity gets greater until you're surrounded by robed Emiratis pushing strollers and ladyboys in stilletos stalking you and fat old white dudes drinking large bottles of Chang on the street and Africans trying to pimp trafficked hookers or drugs to you. As the street numbers get larger things get more sane, then peter out for a while after about 30, then resume again at about 36/38.

Actually, there's an Ethiopian place I've been meaning to try on Sukhumvit Soi 3. If you walk into the soi on the left side, it's down about 100m on the left (I think it's sub-soi 10? There's a big sign for ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT). If you look down an alley and see nothing but African dudes, it's at the end of that alley on the right. Otherwise the Middle Eastern quarter has some fantastic food anyway.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ate a pigeon in some place around there once where the decor was stainless steel on everything except the floor.

I don't know how much the fights are now. I went thought it well worth the 500B or whatever I paid. I don't remember what I paid because seriously the big arena in Bangkok is the mecca for Muay Thai, you can stay and see dozens of fights, there's the whole ridiculous gambling section going on, and traveling halfway around the world and not going to avoid being "gouged" three bucks is silly. I did kickboxing in the US through highschool (I've got nine fights in the ring, 7-2 and two knockouts) and the fights you're likely to see outside of Bangkok are usually terrible fakey show things for tourists. There are regional arenas with actual fights but any fight I saw on an island was eight Thai guys who have all "fought" eachother a hundred times already and probably were training together that morning -- plus a token fight between a farang with zero fights but some training and the biggest Thai guy available who is still fifty pounds lighter and not taking things seriously thanks to having over a hundred actual fights against other guys who have had over a hundred fights.

If you're interested in fighting sports you should go and just delete the part of your brain that objects to dual pricing for the twenty seconds it takes to buy a ticket.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 10, 2014

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
After 6 years, I'm going back to Bangkok over the Christmas season. I really want to spend the New Year's in Bangkok, but I have about 10 days after, and I'd like to visit a really quiet place. No need for activities or sightseeing, I'll settle for super basic accommodation, no electricity, though I guess eating would be nice. Waterfront a big bonus. Reachable within a day from Bangkok would be nice, too. In 2008 I was in Southern Laos, which fit the bill perfectly, but I have no idea how much the place has changed since then.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DanTheFryingPan posted:

After 6 years, I'm going back to Bangkok over the Christmas season. I really want to spend the New Year's in Bangkok, but I have about 10 days after, and I'd like to visit a really quiet place. No need for activities or sightseeing, I'll settle for super basic accommodation, no electricity, though I guess eating would be nice. Waterfront a big bonus. Reachable within a day from Bangkok would be nice, too. In 2008 I was in Southern Laos, which fit the bill perfectly, but I have no idea how much the place has changed since then.
You could do about a million areas conveniently from Bangkok, from riverside condos in the surrounding provinces to seaside stuff further out. Just for a few examples, the last stop on the Chao Phraya Express boat is an incredibly quaint area with a large boardwalk, a massive local old market and serene accommodations. On the flipside, you could catch transport to the waterfront in Chanthaburi or Rayong or Sri Racha/Koh Sichang. In all those places you should be able to get very affordable accommodations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Horatius Bonar posted:

I had a friend who moved with a guinea pig and there wasn't even a good way to take it on a domestic flight. They drove across Canada with it.

So, road trip?

People bring dogs and cats in carriers on a plane in their lap. So how would a guinea pig be hard?

kenner116
May 15, 2009
rigor mortis

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Murder Island should be renamed Death Island. A guy went missing while snorkelling off Sairee a day or two ago and his body has just been found :/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kill whitey (Island)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Flying into bangkok in 2 days..flights tomorrow. Where should i stay that is cheap and friendly and isn't khao sarn road. Bangkok has always been too daunting for me to thoroughly explore it, i just want an area to end up in. I never stay more than 3 days before i move onward.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

goodness posted:

People bring dogs and cats in carriers on a plane in their lap. So how would a guinea pig be hard?

Hah you caught me, my friend did go on a plane with it. He just wore a hoodie with a pouch pocket and kept the pig in there, with some snacks. As long as you prepare for the pee and poo, which any guinea pig owner should be fine with, it's doable. I just wanted to have a reason to suggest a road trip from Malaysia to Ireland.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
People are going to get real mad if they catch you sneaking animals through immigration. So don't get caught.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
It's a well-known fact that guinea pigs are invisible to X-ray machines and body scanners.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

But you can get a guinea pig through a metal detector.

I can't wait for the next season of Locked Up Abroad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Senso posted:

It's a well-known fact that guinea pigs are invisible to X-ray machines and body scanners.

Well, how thorough is Malaysian airport security? This is a fantastic opportunity to find out.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just train it to run to your gate when you set it down.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Have you considered perhaps adopting a pair of Pangolin instead? That way you could give one to the Chinese dude in charge of security when you fly out and keep the other.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Officially booked my Vietnam trip. It looks like Sapa is awful in mid January. Should I save it for another trip?

Also, do I need to book lodging ahead of time in January?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ended up in Nana Plaza cause this thread keeps talking about it and it's expensive everywhere, 1000 baht and up. I don't even need this fuckin AC. Back to Khao San tomorrow I guess, unless there's another area I and any other cheapasses should know about??

Also the train from the airport is great, shows what I know taking cabs from the airport every other time I have come to Thailand. How silly that seems now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tautologicus posted:

Ended up in Nana Plaza cause this thread keeps talking about it

Got another one boys

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
eviljelly is, as of a couple of days from now, again Our Man On Murder Island. Stay Safe, SCUBA Structor. Report back regularly.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Ended up in Nana Plaza

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

"Well guys I am in Thailand on my honeymoon...ended up in Nana Plaza"

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

eviljelly is, as of a couple of days from now, again Our Man On Murder Island. Stay Safe, SCUBA Structor. Report back regularly.

All I'm saying is, fish on Koh Nangyuan have a taste for human flesh.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Tautologicus posted:

Ended up in Nana Plaza cause this thread keeps talking about it and it's expensive everywhere, 1000 baht and up. I don't even need this fuckin AC. Back to Khao San tomorrow I guess, unless there's another area I and any other cheapasses should know about??

Also the train from the airport is great, shows what I know taking cabs from the airport every other time I have come to Thailand. How silly that seems now.

Go stay at this place

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...d08f62c18?hl=en

I was staying there for a private room with bathroom and fan for like 200 baht a night. I liked it. Basic, no bed bugs, clean when you remeber you're paying £2 a night. I was doing budget travelling and eating street food every day. Prices are from 2010.

They have a big communal area where you can speak to fellow travellers, if that is your thing. Get a card from reception so you can show the taxi where you're staying when you realise it's 4am, you're drunk as gently caress, and have no idea where you are.

Here's the trip advsisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1931091-Reviews-New_My_House_Guest_House-Bangkok.html

I would have given dat poo poo 5 stars, babies crying cus they're expecting hotel standard for £2 a night can gently caress off and die.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 13, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Go stay at this place

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...d08f62c18?hl=en

I was staying there for a private room with bathroom and fan for like 200 baht a night. I liked it. Basic, no bed bugs, clean when you remeber you're paying £2 a night. I was doing budget travelling and eating street food every day. Prices are from 2010.

They have a big communal area where you can speak to fellow travellers, if that is your thing. Get a card from reception so you can show the taxi where you're staying when you realise it's 4am, you're drunk as gently caress, and have no idea where you are.

Here's the trip advsisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1931091-Reviews-New_My_House_Guest_House-Bangkok.html

I would have given dat poo poo 5 stars, babies crying cus they're expecting hotel standard for £2 a night can gently caress off and die.

Sounds great, gonna check it out tomorrow, thanks.

Lol at the whole Nana plaza scene. Cambodia plan still in effect, but maybe the plan has not met the enemy yet. Seems foolproof though.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/442942/sticky-rice-and-chicken-girl-becomes-overnight-sensation

Tldr: 15 year old girl posts foulmouthed video about getting her sticky rice and chicken stolen. Thailand isn't used to cussing.

I went to a bar in Thailand once where they had three Thai bands play sets. The second one was by far the best but got a very lukewarm reception. I asked what was going on and was told "Some of the words they use are very bad."

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Oh man, we could probably start a thread for trip advisor reviews in thailand, one from said guest house:

quote:

Two weeks ago before we left Bangkok, I decided to call in a few guesthouses to get rates and cards to give me an idea for next year. I called in here - there was a young Thai woman with glasses sat at reception about 25 years old. She totally ignored me, so I asked very politely if she had a card or brochure with the rates. She literally banged a card down on the desk and then continued to ignore me. So I then asked politely if she had a book of pictures of the hotel (which many have) and she rudely replied "no". I then told her that I needed to give her some feedback that as a receptionist it was part of her job to be polite and give good service. She then screamed at me and told me she didn't care, get out and I wouldn't be allowed to stay there!!
On looking at the previous review from Australia made me laugh as this rudeness is clearly an everyday thing. I wonder if her boss knows how much business she is loosing.
The one thing that really made me angry is I am a polite 64 year old married woman. I thought that Asians in particular showed respect to their elders!!
My advise is - don't even go in the door!!

Chris

God drat Asians, please conform to your stereotypes!!11!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing gives me the same sort of pleasure as seeing some lumpheaded gently caress get abused by a customer service person who technically isn't supposed to be doing that.

VVV: I would have been so happy

raton fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 14, 2014

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I accidentally enraged an older leathery-faced Australian couple by somehow getting served before them in a McDonald's in Penang, despite joining the queue after them. The woman shouted at the guy behind the counter, yelling "You're very rude!! We're going somewhere else!!" as if a random worker bee at McDonald's gives a poo poo.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
People like that learn they can be loud and opinionated and it sometimes works.

Then when they go to Western chains in Asia they expect things to be like home.

The moral of the story is if you go to a place renowned for delicious cheap food, don't eat at a loving McDonalds.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
No, the moral is gently caress obnoxious Australians.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm in Chumphon for the day because I decided on the train ride down here that I should take it slow and there's no hurry to get to Koh Tao. I checked into my guesthouse and the lady was really surprised I chose to stay overnight here - "why you no go to Koh Tao today?" Hah.

I should've asked way in advance but anyone know anything really cool to see here? I'm guessing not but might as well ask. I'm not so much into nice beaches but I like rock formations and caves and stuff. I also enjoy temples and food and dumb tourist trap-y things.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
The temples, eh?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

*shrugs* well there are quite a few temples on the maps so I thought it'd be better to ask goons rather than visiting every single random temple

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

I'm in Chumphon for the day because I decided on the train ride down here that I should take it slow and there's no hurry to get to Koh Tao. I checked into my guesthouse and the lady was really surprised I chose to stay overnight here - "why you no go to Koh Tao today?" Hah.

I should've asked way in advance but anyone know anything really cool to see here? I'm guessing not but might as well ask. I'm not so much into nice beaches but I like rock formations and caves and stuff. I also enjoy temples and food and dumb tourist trap-y things.

Just do what everyone who knows what's up does and get drunk at Farang Bar. It's basically Koh Tao's go to place in Chumphon. There's actually a pretty cool night market near the train station, but I can't think of anything else interesting in or near Chumphon. I had to stay there for a night once and it was kinda boring, but the airline put us up at the Novotel and paid all expenses that my friends and I incurred, which was pretty sweet.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Finch! posted:

Just do what everyone who knows what's up does and get drunk at Farang Bar. It's basically Koh Tao's go to place in Chumphon. There's actually a pretty cool night market near the train station, but I can't think of anything else interesting in or near Chumphon. I had to stay there for a night once and it was kinda boring, but the airline put us up at the Novotel and paid all expenses that my friends and I incurred, which was pretty sweet.

The old fella who owns the bar is pretty cool. Had a lenghty conversation with him about trains. What else :shrug:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So I was talking to my manager at work today who happens to be from Korea and went to school up to college there. I was telling her about being in NYC one time and a guy just having his penis out when got on the subway.

She was like "Oh yeah we saw penises all the time in Korea. Men often go to the schools to flash the students or have them come over to there car while they have no pants on. I had heard about the groping issues and such before, but why is it that big of an issue over there?

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 15, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Korea is best.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Edit i didn't pay for anything but no goon would believe that here i guess

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU