Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

swimming anime posted:

Have you + your partner ever said insanely embarassing poo poo that seemed really sexy at the time?

If I'm about to stick my doop in your pood and I say that stuff I'm gonna be sexy-dancing and winking/giggling like crazy. It's like wer'e watching animatronics from Chuck-e-Cheese slowly fight their way to sentience with that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, Knight Enchanter looks stupidly better than the other two Mage specs. Party wide heal/rez, decent CC and crazy tanky.

No AOE, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Darth Windu posted:

No AOE, though.

That magic lightsaber looks more than long enough to have some AoE.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

I read Ben when he wrote for Penny Arcade and I enjoyed his work there. Can anyone explain where the "noted piece of poo poo" comes in?

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/king-ben-kuchera/

Tried to get Erik Kain fired over something inconsequential because he didn't like him, and acted like a smug tit when people called him out on it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Part of the problem, I believe, is how they do voice recording. It's usually just a guy in a booth with a microphone. For poo poo like this, you really need the actors together bouncing off each other. This is why the VA director is super critical, but I really think it would be better to let the actors act with other actors.

I don't know about other shows, but on Archer all of the voice actors are together when they are recording a scene. It really adds a lot to the show and it is a shame it isn't done more frequently!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

swimming anime posted:

I feel like while this is still dragon age and has the same problems it has always had vis-a-vis voice acting and doll faced characters (due to limitations of having an engine that can do what it does) it's still better written and imo better acted than anything bioware's done previously and better than 99% of all other video games out there. You can complain about those issues if you want but people watching that video and people like "LOL THAT LINE WAS SO RIDICULOUS AND EMBARASSING" just throw me off like... bro have you ever had sex? Have you + your partner ever said insanely embarassing poo poo that seemed really sexy at the time? That video is close enough and the combination in the writing of goofy and sexy is far more realistic than a lot of hollywood writing when it comes to scenes like that.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly my thought. It's not Hollywood caliber writing, but hey, that's a sex scene that plays out in a way that's actually pretty reminiscent of people who are about to have sex. Teary Jack sex was creepy, aggressive but very sure to be consensual Bull is actually a pretty cool thing.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
I really like games that motion capture voice actors as well, but no way would that be feasible in a game where there are dialog choices.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly my thought. It's not Hollywood caliber writing, but hey, that's a sex scene that plays out in a way that's actually pretty reminiscent of people who are about to have sex. Teary Jack sex was creepy, aggressive but very sure to be consensual Bull is actually a pretty cool thing.

And is it REALLY bad writing if it's meant to be bad? I'm pretty sure who-ever wrote that scene wasn't thinking of Shakespeare when he wrote it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What I love about the greats like Shakespeare and Chaucer is how many sex and fart jokes they throw in. I'm trying to remember which Canterbury Tale involves a girl tricking her suitor into closing his eyes and kissing her boyfriend's rear end as he rips a fat fart.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/king-ben-kuchera/

Tried to get Erik Kain fired over something inconsequential because he didn't like him, and acted like a smug tit when people called him out on it.

Hmm well, I guess that's that then.

BTW I saw some stuff over at Neogaf about unlocking items in the keep or something along those lines. It wasn't super clear. As far as anyone knows, do you unlock stuff in the Keep or in the last court?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SelfOM posted:

The 11,4000% would be in reference to 'weapon-damage', which is useful in comparison to auto-attack damage.

I'm totally going 2 tempests, 1 assassin and a rift mage for the alpha-strike. Blow all the level 3 focuses at once. Combined with mark of the assassin and static cage with its upgrade.

Focus is a party-wide resource you build up over time through comboing powers (like shattering frozen enemies) and stuff not a meter each individual party member has

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought they said that each party member contributed to building up but each character could use their own.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Ok, so here's where I'm leaning on my Knight Enchanter build thus far:

Constraints and Big Picture Idea

This build assumes that I get 18 skills. It also assumes that starting with the 7th skill (1/3 of the way) I have access to the Knight Enchanter tree.

This build is designed to close with enemies, use barriers to tank, primarily target single enemies, and punish enemies attacking the character. The mana costs for this build are low, meaning you can easily pull out the high-mana holy poo poo spells if needed. This build is not meant to help teammates. Teammates are meant to help this build.

Before you become a Knight Enchanter, you need to have a viable attacking build early.

Skills by Tree

Spirit
Barrier (24 sec, 50 mana) - Start of fight barrier drop; mid-fight barriers in a pinch.
Guardian Spirit (60 sec) - You're almost dead? Here's a barrier.
Mind Blast (8 sec, 20 mana) - Mass detonation, cast immediately after mana surge for fun and profit...
Fortifying Blast - ... and have some more barriers while you're blowing up frozen people

Storm
Chain Lightning (8 sec, 50 mana) - Zap! Really, just a means to get to...
Stormbringer (15 sec) - ... 300% weapon attack every 15 secs, no mana, nice!
Gathering Storm - Basic attacks shorten cooldowns, useful if your skills need to recharge.

Winter
Fade Step (12 sec) - Get in someone's face, fast. Or away, if you're a wuss.
Frost Step - Damage and chill enemies while you zip around; no mana damage is always nice.
Winter's Grasp (16 sec, 65 mana) - Freeze someone, with damage. Again just a stepping zone to...
Mana Surge - If your barrier is destroyed, you explode. Freezes surrounding enemies and let's you cast your next spell mana-free.

Knight Enchanter
Spirit Blade (10 mana) - It's a blade. Made of spirit. It's a spirit lightsaber.
Defending Blade - Your spirit lightsaber can now reflect projectiles back at people. gently caress off, archers.
Fade Cloak (12 sec, 20 mana) - You are invulnerable/insubstantial for 2 seconds. More importantly...
Decloaking Blast - ... if the effect wears off and you're in someone, you explode and do 1000% weapon damage.
Veiled Riposte - All those barriers you make? Enemies now take damage for doing damage to them.
Combat Clarity - You mana comes back fast while you're in the face of the enemy. You should always be in the face of the enemy.
Fade Shield - Every time you do damage, you get 30% of that damage in a barrier. Every loving time.

Final Stat Boosts
+12 Magic, +6 Constitution, +3 Willpower

Order of Skill Selection

Chain Lightning
Stormbringer
Barrier
Guardian Spirit
Fade Step
Frost Step
Spirit Blade
Fade Cloak
Decloaking Blast
Defending Blade
Combat Clarity
Fade Shield
Winter's Grasp
Mana Surge
Mind Blast
Fortifying Blast
Veiled Riposte
Gathering Storm

Notes

I want to pick up Flashpoint and Clean Burn from Inferno as well, I just can't do it with 18 skills. That's where my next spends would be.

No Resurgence in this build; this is a tank, not a healer. With the exception of Barrier, this build is designed to be an attacker, not a defender. I want to play a Vanguard, dammit!

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 13, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Tanking with the main character seems like a really bad idea, you'd get stunned/interrupted/kicked around every time you try to disrupt a rift.

This is the other reason for a threat reduction power like Mind Blast. Disrupting takes what, 3 seconds? Disrupt, then get back to tanking.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

From stuff I've read and heard I think you get your specialization after a quest at level 11 and that the (soft) level cap is in the mid-20s.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

From stuff I've read and heard I think you get your specialization after a quest at level 11 and that the (soft) level cap is in the mid-20s.

If it's 11, move the Fade Step and Knight Enchanter stuff down 4, and move up Winter's Grasp through Fortifying Blast in its place. It just delays the zip-boom fun.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, Knight Enchanter looks stupidly better than the other two Mage specs. Party wide heal/rez, decent CC and crazy tanky.

It sounds like they're just getting back to their DAO roots, where the Arcane Warrior ended up being a far better tank than the other five actual warriors in your party :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I'll probably try to build my Knight Enchanter for damage, as much as possible. The Arcane Warrior spec may have been pretty much invulvernable in Origins but it was boring as hell to play as. It seems that Bioware might be onto what makes a fun melee/magic hybrid with this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That would be comparable to the previous games. If you did absolutely all content (including DLCs) and opened all chests for the XP in just the right order in DA2 (doing as many chests as possible first before fighting enemies to maximize the xp value of scaling enemies), you might hit the upper 20s.

Byers, do you happen to have links on hand to something that lists all the powers? I remember I've seen the lists for all the regular trees, but I can't remember where.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hit level 20 pretty easily by the endgame and I left a lot of sidequests undone. I could see 25~ being the upper limit without grinding mindlessly pretty easily.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lotish posted:

That would be comparable to the previous games. If you did absolutely all content (including DLCs) and opened all chests for the XP in just the right order in DA2 (doing as many chests as possible first before fighting enemies to maximize the xp value of scaling enemies), you might hit the upper 20s.

Byers, do you happen to have links on hand to something that lists all the powers? I remember I've seen the lists for all the regular trees, but I can't remember where.

Regular abilities here: http://imgur.com/a/DzqMh

Specs thanks to AngryBooch here: http://imgur.com/a/7CBLr

There's still some missing, but it gave me everything I used for my build.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
What's up with the ________ Detonator stuff? Does incapacitated just mean under any status effect? And what's a combo in DA:I?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Decus posted:

What's up with the ________ Detonator stuff? Does incapacitated just mean under any status effect? And what's a combo in DA:I?

Not any power, but a lot. Chilled, for instance, doesn't look like it incapacitates, but Frozen does. If you hit someone who's incapacitated by a power, I think it does a combo similar to ME3's tech and biotic combos. Basically, a big blast of damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Decus posted:

Incapacitated tends to mean a debilitating status effect. (Frozen and so-on.) If you hit them with a Detonator it triggers special extra damage. That is a combo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How many skill points do we get in the game? Or rather, how many skill trees is it possible to max out?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If level 25 is a reasonable expectation, a human inquisitor who takes that upgrade for an extra ability point could probably expect 27 points. Trees vary in how many abilities and upgrades they get, with something like 11-15 total, so you might be able to max two of the smaller trees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

How many skill points do we get in the game? Or rather, how many skill trees is it possible to max out?

1 skill point per level. Humans gain an additional skill point at level 1. Every character (including the Inquisitor) can find Amulets of Power which grant them +1 skill points. I'm not sure how many of these there are but I found like 2-3 for most characters. The Inquisitor can also gain +1 skill point from an Inquisitor Perk.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Hopefully they just stuff the post-game content full of +skill point items for messing around.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Byers2142 posted:

Not any power, but a lot. Chilled, for instance, doesn't look like it incapacitates, but Frozen does. If you hit someone who's incapacitated by a power, I think it does a combo similar to ME3's tech and biotic combos. Basically, a big blast of damage.
:aaa: Well there goes 60 bucks, flyin' out of my wallet. Combos in ME3 are so goddamn satisfying.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Decus posted:

Hopefully they just stuff the post-game content full of +skill point items for messing around.

I'd be very happy if they make DA:I endlessly replayable, like the previous two games.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

DA2 is next level garbage. I went back to play some of it because destiny was down for maintenance and god drat. This game is much worse than I remember

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubponticatePoster posted:

:aaa: Well there goes 60 bucks, flyin' out of my wallet. Combos in ME3 are so goddamn satisfying.

You can preorder the game for $47 at greenmangaming.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Is anyone here in the weird EA access thingy? Can they confirm or deny Cool Game status?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drifter posted:

Not for the best platform, PS4. AFAICT.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Windu posted:

Not for the best platform, PS4. AFAICT.

Well, the best platform that's not the PC, sure.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Is anyone here in the weird EA access thingy? Can they confirm or deny Cool Game status?

The keep?

It's literally just a create-a-world-state for any of the potential options from DAO and DA2

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

pentyne posted:

The keep?

It's literally just a create-a-world-state for any of the potential options from DAO and DA2

No, the EA Access thingy, where you pay I think 10 bucks a month to get access to EA games on the Xbone a week early.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not as satisfying as DA2. I hate to be that guy that defends DA2, but the combat in DA2 was great even though everything else was horrible. I do wish that you could of hotkeyed your companion's skills though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

PS4 :(

e: I could trade in my copies of KZ and NFS at Gamestop, I guess, those are worth about $15 total. This however would require not only going to Gamestop to trade/preorder but returning to pick the game up :/

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Where do you see Dragon Age Origins for 47 dollars on GMG? It says 60 for me

• Locked thread