Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
LSV just drawing every perfect card with the ultimate "lol I still got all these" on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm out of shape on standard right now, but after seeing Tom Ross do well with the linear UW heroic deck last week I decided to build it.

Has anyone else built this? I'm ok for playing this style of deck but my lack of metagame knowledge is hurting me when it comes to the sideboard, can anyone give me tips on what to bring in and when?

Here's the list: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=75984

Edit: I did not realise he had written a bit about the deck last Thursday, for those interested here's what he said about sideboarding with UW heroic in that article:

Tom Ross posted:

The Treasure Cruises out of the sideboard have been great. Most decks aim to kill all of your creatures so the games end up going long post-sideboard. With four copies of Flooded Strand, Defiant Strike, and Ordeal of Thassa that tend to cycle, your graveyard ends up filling quickly. The Stubborn Denials are for when you're against any deck that is very creature-light and its ferocious gets online often enough to make it the countermagic of choice over cards like Negate or Disdainful Stroke. The rest of the sideboard is basically an extension of the maindeck to alter your creature choices and aura targets for Heliod's Pilgrim as appropriate.

frameset fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 13, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

frameset posted:

I'm out of shape on standard right now, but after seeing Tom Ross do well with the linear UW heroic deck last week I decided to build it.

Has anyone else built this? I'm ok for playing this style of deck but my lack of metagame knowledge is hurting me when it comes to the sideboard, can anyone give me tips on what to bring in and when?

Here's the list: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=75984

Edit: I did not realise he had written a bit about the deck last Thursday, for those interested here's what he said about sideboarding with UW heroic in that article:

I just got thinking I don't have much of a reason not to build it since I'm looking to get Strands anyway, but it looks like all my Theros block commons were thrown away when I moved. Still might try it, but will be wishing my BW Heroic deck worked. Esper is probably a bit greedy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

frameset posted:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/valuable-lessons-the-new-cawblade/

The channel fireball article above is a decent read and a slightly different list. Personally I think the Phalanx Leaders are not great and I like Tom's Eidolons better in that spot while also believing that channel fireball had a better take on lands.

The sideboard seems a little janky to me. First thing, there is a typo and its Lagonna-Band Trailblazer and not elders in the 4x of. These do make sense against jeskai and sligh, although much less impressive against sligh. I have personally dropped a trailblazer for another ordeal of heliod. The wavecrash titan has also been hot garbage in the games I have played and I would have preferred to have more Aqueous Form or more bell strikes.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Flooded Strand
3 Island
7 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
3 Tranquil Cove

//Spells
1 Aqueous Form
4 Defiant Strike
2 Feat of Resistance
4 Gods Willing
1 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Ordeal of Thassa
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Stratus Walk
1 Treasure Cruise

//Creatures
4 Battlewise Hoplite
2 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Heliod's Pilgrim
4 Hero of Iroas
2 Seeker of the Way

//Sideboard
3 Stubborn Denial
2 Ordeal of Heliod
2 Aqueous Form
2 Ajani's Presence
1 Treasure Cruise
3 Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Negate

Display deck statistics

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

frameset posted:

Yeah I've been running/streaming this deck a decent amount, it's the real deal and definitely one of the best decks out there right now.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, what beats it? I haven't seen it in action, but it looks like it might be soft to sac effects.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Veyrall posted:

So, what beats it? I haven't seen it in action, but it looks like it might be soft to sac effects.

What sac effects? They're all gone.

All we really have is targeted removal and God's Willing and Ajani's Presence take care of that.

I've been playing a UW Heroic deck on MTGO for 2 months and it's quite resilient. At least my build is, I run Phalanx Leader alongside Raise the Alarm and unless you're running sweepers that gets gross fast.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What sac effects? They're all gone.

Is mardu midrange not a thing anymore? Crackling doom seems good against heroic.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Is mardu midrange not a thing anymore? Crackling doom seems good against heroic.

Right, ONE deck can do that still.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm still waiting for Agent of the Fates to become a thing. :(

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AlternateNu posted:

I'm still waiting for Agent of the Fates to become a thing. :(

B/W Anti-heroes? :v:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

B/W Anti-heroes? :v:

I made this deck last standard as a casual deck, and it's actually a lot of fun to play. Might have to give it a try again.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's also the one deck that's most trendy right now, and every variant whether its aggro/midrange/walkers runs 4-of Crackling Doom. UW seems good but I'm not sure it's well positioned when half the field is Mardu with access to Crackling Doom, Deflecting Palm, and Duress effects.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I made this deck last standard as a casual deck, and it's actually a lot of fun to play. Might have to give it a try again.

I played a block version at GP Manchester, lots of fun, but objectively probably not as good as UW heroic in any format. Black has the best Bestow guys, but blue gets cheap auras thats much more explosive.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Equilibrium posted:

It's also the one deck that's most trendy right now, and every variant whether its aggro/midrange/walkers runs 4-of Crackling Doom. UW seems good but I'm not sure it's well positioned when half the field is Mardu with access to Crackling Doom, Deflecting Palm, and Duress effects.

Right but it's quite different from any deck running black being able to run a playset of Devour Flesh in their sideboard. You need to be firmly three colored, and the second you see that in their mana on turn 1 or 2 you know to not assemble a giant fragile voltron and set yourself up for the blowout. That's very different from, say, hexproof the last twoyears, where any deck could splash for cards to answer it. There are no splashy sac effects right now, and even if this deck is popular, it's four cards (with a very restrictive mana cost) out of 75 in only a certain percentage of the field....you're still going to do pretty well I think.

That said, this is why I run a different version that spreads the power around more instead of going all in on one dude. The only thing I have to worry about are sweepers, which aren't all over the place at the moment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You resign yourself to having to use to removal spells on their dude, which is worth it if they've sunk a bunch of cards into it. Or at least force them to use the Gods Willing on your turn so you can chump block, and/or have big green dudes that are just bigger than their heros. All of this is assuming they even drew their protection spells and always have the mana up to cast them. It's nowhere near being an unbeatable deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

You resign yourself to having to use to removal spells on their dude, which is worth it if they've sunk a bunch of cards into it. Or at least force them to use the Gods Willing on your turn so you can chump block, and/or have big green dudes that are just bigger than their heros. All of this is assuming they even drew their protection spells and always have the mana up to cast them. It's nowhere near being an unbeatable deck.

With the card draw and scry that this deck has betting on them not have 1 of their 6 protection spells is probably not a great plan or at least its not going to be a very consistant plan. Playing this deck I find that the biggest hits are when I tap out turns 2-4 to play creatures and they are removed immediately. That means killing them before they have invested cards into pumping it. Being greedy against this deck is a fast lane to a loss.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

With the card draw and scry that this deck has betting on them not have 1 of their 6 protection spells is probably not a great plan or at least its not going to be a very consistant plan. Playing this deck I find that the biggest hits are when I tap out turns 2-4 to play creatures and they are removed immediately. That means killing them before they have invested cards into pumping it. Being greedy against this deck is a fast lane to a loss.

Well obviously if they tap out you take the shot. I'm just saying they're not going to be able to always have the spell and always have the mana up, and even if they do have the spell you can often force them to use it suboptimally or just two for two them by firing off another kill spell in response to the protection. It can be very hard to beat if it has an amazing starting hand, but that should be true of most well made decks.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

GonSmithe posted:

Welp, guess it's time to bite the bullet an build dredge on MODO.

They actually added Bazaar of Baghdad to the list, so you'll have to find the second best non-Powered deck.

quote:

Update 11/13/2014: We are excited about player response to the Holiday Festival Vintage Championship. Our goal with the additional prizes of a Vintage Masters set to the top three players not playing Power Nine cards is to enable some players who are currently not Vintage players to join the community. After hearing player feedback about this implementation, we have decided to add Bazaar of Baghdad to this list. The additional prizes are now available to players who do not have any copies of Ancestral Recall, Bazaar of Baghdad, Black Lotus, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Time Walk, or Timetwister in either their main decks or their sideboards. Best of luck to everyone as they try to qualify!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Applebees posted:

They actually added Bazaar of Baghdad to the list, so you'll have to find the second best non-Powered deck.

They're trying to make it so its a Legacy deck, but they're barking up the wrong tree. You can get away with running Oath or MUD with just Mox Opals and Chrome Mox, both of which are totally unrestricted in Vintage.

Veyrall posted:

End Hostilities or Anger of the Gods in any amount more than a singleton. If you're playing in those colors, you are very likely to have Thoughtseize and Crackling Doom, too.

I don't know that I've ever lost a match to U/W Heroic with either Mardu Control or Midrange.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 13, 2014

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Mishra's Workshop isn't on the list, so I think that's the logical next deck. Although I could also see an un-powered fastbond-gush or pyromancer list doing ok.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mince Pieface posted:

Mishra's Workshop isn't on the list, so I think that's the logical next deck. Although I could also see an un-powered fastbond-gush or pyromancer list doing ok.

They can't take it off the list because Shops is not a Vintage quality deck without Workshop + the Power Nine. Dredge is a bit different because Bazaar is the closest thing in Magic to a one-card combo.

I am a bit skeptical that unpowered Shops is going to work. The tournament doesn't BAN Power Nine cards so you'll just lose a lot if you try and run a deck that goes too far afield. My experience is that Workshop decks are less good than Storm or Control variants in general because if they don't start with Workshop + a bunch of Trinisphere effects they tend to lose. Shops is only an overpowering deck when it can do dumb poo poo like first turn Trinisphere + Thorns/Spheres.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 13, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the best bet would just be unpowered storm (with or without gush) with yawg's will or U/R delver with null rod if you wanted to go powerless.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

I think the best bet would just be ANT with yawg's will or U/R delver with null rod if you wanted to go powerless.

The powerless deck of choice in my mind is probably Fish/Hatebears. Especially if you are a Legacy player since its practically the same deck in Vintage with a few extra broken goodies.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

The powerless deck of choice in my mind is probably Fish/Hatebears. Especially if you are a Legacy player since its practically the same deck in Vintage with a few extra broken goodies.

Could you just take a legacy hatebears/d&t shell and throw in null rods and mental missteps?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eternal Weekend's Budget Vintage challenge was no Power 9, Mishra's Workshop, Bazaar of Baghdad, Imperial Seal, and Time Vault. You should probably play one of these cards if they let you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its too bad about Bazaar. I would have entered with Dredge. Dredge is a deck that looks super beatable, but frequently isn't because of the frequency in which opponents are aggressively mulling for the cards they brought in to hate it out. Unhated, there isn't much the opposing player can do to win that isn't Vault-Key turn one or just going off with Tendrils on turns 1-3 (which does not happen that often) or something.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Could you just take a legacy hatebears/d&t shell and throw in null rods and mental missteps?
Sure, this is a real Vintage deck. Just put in Stony Silence since the Moxes and Lotus are gone anyways.

//lands//

4 Windswept Heath
4 Wasteland
3 Cavern of Souls
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Savannah
1 Strip Mine
1 Scrubland
1 Bayou
1 Tropical Island
1 Karakas

//creatures//

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Dark Confidant
3 Qasali Pridemage
3 Knight of the Reliquary
2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kataki, War's Wage

//spells//

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Mental Misstep
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire

1 Lotus Petal

Sideboard:

1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Path to Exile
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Stony Silence
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Yixlid Jailer
2 Trygon Predator
4 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Zealous Persecution

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 13, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The bigger art for the imprisoning of the Eldrazi's up. Don't think it plays to Kieryluk's strengths, really. He can be really good in a pretty narrow spectrum (often coinciding with when he's told to draw Elesh Norn) but outside it he's not great. Ugin looks pretty alright here though, to be fair.

(Fully expand the timg, not just halfway.)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Is KTK sealed the only event on mtgo you can play with phantom points at the moment? Any advice? I just scrubbed out real bad. I've had ok decks drafting the format but it seems rough sealed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The bigger art for the imprisoning of the Eldrazi's up. Don't think it plays to Kieryluk's strengths, really. He can be really good in a pretty narrow spectrum (often coinciding with when he's told to draw Elesh Norn) but outside it he's not great. Ugin looks pretty alright here though, to be fair.

I like how Ugin looks a lot, because he's got this kinda different art style from Sorin and Nahiri that emphasizes his otherness, but the eldrazi are really really bad, in my opinion.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Parts of that are really poorly computerized. Like the tentacle just to the right of stoneforge. Or the textures on the green thing that carry from one surface to another when they shouldn't.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

right out of final fantasy VII

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I like how Ugin looks a lot, because he's got this kinda different art style from Sorin and Nahiri that emphasizes his otherness, but the eldrazi are really really bad, in my opinion.

There's been a rash of Magic art lately that looks like it got pulled from the FMV cutscenes of a late-90s computer RPG. I noticed it first with the new Skullclamp art.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

They can't take it off the list because Shops is not a Vintage quality deck without Workshop + the Power Nine. Dredge is a bit different because Bazaar is the closest thing in Magic to a one-card combo.

This is everyone's friendly reminder that Dredge can mulligan to 1 and win the game on the second turn.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chamale posted:

This is everyone's friendly reminder that Dredge can mulligan to 1 and win the game on the second turn.

starting the game with one card doesn't mean much when you draw 12-60 cards by the second turn

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Attorney at Funk posted:

There's been a rash of Magic art lately that looks like it got pulled from the FMV cutscenes of a late-90s computer RPG. I noticed it first with the new Skullclamp art.

The worst offender is the Game Day Utter End promo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Maybe its just me, but the Emrakul in that art doesn't look like he's 15/15. The whole thing looks like a FMV from Final Fantasy VII complete with Ugin being kind of low-poly.

Chamale posted:

Vintage Dredge is literally the best unhated deck in Magic.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

qbert posted:

I'd argue Metalworker looks worse in that regard, though awkwardly 3D Zurgo definitely looks weird when you consider his proportions in all the other art he's depicted in.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

qbert posted:

Worse than Aerial Predation, which looks like something the artist found on an old shareware multimedia CD! in his basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

I traded mine for a Remand.

I don't regret it.

• Locked thread