Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Star Man posted:

You know, all they had to do on that land raider was use masking tape.

And airbrush more than one basecoat over the primer, and drill out the multi-melta barrels, and just generally not be terrible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And airbrush more than one basecoat over the primer, and drill out the multi-melta barrels, and just generally not be terrible. :v:

That too. But seeing that uneven line was the thing that came out at me immediately.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I can't get over how the bolters look like. I mean, I'm not good at drilling barrels, but jeez, they all look different.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I think if I knew what an actual professional job was supposed to look like I'd be a bit more disappointed with that Land Raider. As it stands I'd be absolutely pleased if I could manage something like that. Those Warmachine guys on the other hand do look pretty bad, and I think the massive pricetag that these Blue Table dudes put on their work is absurd.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now that I've read the whole thread, I'm going to go melt my models down into scrap and hang myself. I can't paint for poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Glukeose posted:

I think if I knew what an actual professional job was supposed to look like I'd be a bit more disappointed with that Land Raider. As it stands I'd be absolutely pleased if I could manage something like that. Those Warmachine guys on the other hand do look pretty bad, and I think the massive pricetag that these Blue Table dudes put on their work is absurd.

If you want an idea of just how atrociously poo poo that Land Raider is for a paid-for paintjob go and look at the model painting thread in this sub-forum. The vast majority of posters aren't commission level, but almost everyone is doing better than that Land Raider. If I bought that off ebay the first thing I would do is strip it. The first thing I'd do if I received it from a professional painting company is look up the number of Trading Standards.

It's not even a really a talent thing. That Raider has been painted in a deliberately technically sloppy way. Without seeing any of your painting I am absolutely confident that you could do better than that simply because you gave a poo poo about the results.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Star Man posted:

Now that I've read the whole thread, I'm going to go melt my models down into scrap and hang myself. I can't paint for poo poo.

You and me both. Though I heard that one can apply a mystical substance called "effort" and it leads to the condition of "being better". I might try that on Saturday, see how it goes.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The first thing I'd do if I received it from a professional painting company is look up the number of Trading Standards.

This is exactly why stuff like this can flourish in the US. There's no equivalent to Trading Standards in the US (BBB exists but lacks the power to ruin anyone) so lots of small businesses like BTP get to rip people off for minor (in comparison to the cost of court time/lawyers) amounts of money. It yet another example of how we do our best in the States to be the land that law forgot instead of something actually functioning.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JcDent posted:

You and me both. Though I heard that one can apply a mystical substance called "effort" and it leads to the condition of "being better". I might try that on Saturday, see how it goes.

Practicing at it is entirely how you get better. I went from awful to above average in a few years just through practice and learning better techniques. It's one reason that I'm only posting offensive stuff here, not bad paint jobs. People starting off or not getting the results they want shouldn't be laugh at, they should be encouraged. Save the laughs for Brony poo poo or when some pedo paints up their Kingdom Death figs. Post some stuff on the painting thread here and ask for advice.

The BTP stuff isn't that bad in itself, it's just awful for what you pay for it. I hate them for the employee abuse stuff more than any bad paint job, but the way they hold people's paid for figs hostage is also sketchy as hell.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

rkajdi posted:

Practicing at it is entirely how you get better.

This and remember if you're just starting out that we have some serious talent kicking around the forums. I've been painting for 5+ years and while I think I'm pretty good I know I can't throw down with a lot of the guys here. I don't want to mention names because I'll forget someone, but just look at the guys who lead the current and past oath threads. Tons of good work there.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've not been painting super long, but I've already noticed huge improvement in my techniques. The key factor, in my mind, is not being afraid to ask for help. Learn from others. If you see something really cool on the forums, ask how they did it!

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that people who are really good at something are usually more than happy to talk about it. Use the mini painting thread. Don't be afraid of criticism--the vast majority of our community wants to see you get better, and will offer CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

Don't be upset if you don't look perfect from day 1. Nobody ever does their best work starting out. Practice. Don't be afraid of 'wasting' a mini. Simple Green/Purple Power/etc are cheap. You can always strip it down the road and paint it with your new skills.

Experiment with new techniques! Ask for advice if you need it, then try it out! Mistakes happen, but in painting they're pretty easy to fix. Just paint. Don't worry about perfection; EVERYBODY can find something to dislike about their paint jobs.

And remember, the camera brings out all the tiny flaws you'll never see on the tabletop. A Guardsman's face that looks a bit sloppy in a high resolution closeup will look fine from tabletop distances.

tl;dr Talk to our more experienced painters, and don't give up. Practice works!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, I know, giving up won't make the bastards look any better and I don't have the cash to pay for BTP... well, for someone with actual skill.

Strange thing is that I'm somehow happier with the first miniatures that I painted then the ones I did using mad skillz and advice, which is perplexing. Maybe they just look better at a distance.

Plus, it helped that I greenstuffed visors, so I wouldn't have to paint faces on Guardsmen!

Anyways, Weekend is miniature painting days. Maybe I'll find out how to make my metallic gold inquisitor look good. And what's the Japanese equivalent of Simple Green.

...it was a move of desperation when I didn't know what to do, sorry!

Also: Warzone Mutant Chronicles 80 soldier pack is not a good buy.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Since I was mentioning painting for my nerdly buddies, here's a new project one of them asked for. He's playing a drow in pathfinder. The guy uses two knives in combat. Easy.

He wants a black-skinned drow, with a black eye patch, wearing black armor, using black-metal weapons.

loving nerds and their grimdarkness, man.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Swags posted:

He wants a black-skinned drow, with a black eye patch, wearing black armor, using black-metal weapons.

Sounds like a job for the Blue Table Painting studio! :haw:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Sounds like a job for the Blue Table Painting studio! :haw:

I'll do it for $50 + shipping, and agreeing to it also means that you have to like and repost my fanfic!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Swags posted:

Since I was mentioning painting for my nerdly buddies, here's a new project one of them asked for. He's playing a drow in pathfinder. The guy uses two knives in combat. Easy.

loving nerds and their grimdarkness, man.

Coat of primer, call it a day.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
That miniwargaming video about BTP has already been removed. That was what, two days it was up for?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Interesting that MWG cut and ran, then. Did the sheer scale of the fallout make them panic?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Loxbourne posted:

Interesting that MWG cut and ran, then. Did the sheer scale of the fallout make them panic?

No idea, but I do think MWG severely underestimated just how unpopular Gately/BTP is within the wargaming community right now, and I'm still amazed that they apparently thought they could just insert themselves into this whole toxic situation, and suffer no repercussions or loss of paying customers or whatnot. That's almost at "current GW management"-levels in terms of "stupid business decisions".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Loxbourne posted:

Probably wasn't worth the static and the drop in subs, I protest dropped my subscription. Don't back shady businesses MWG, and BTP is shady as gently caress.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Probably wasn't worth the static and the drop in subs, I protest dropped my subscription. Don't back shady businesses MWG, and BTP is shady as gently caress.

Seriously, for a business as reliant on customer/subscriber goodwill as MWG is, backing BTP in this particular situation was colossally stupid. Regardless of whatever business connection they have, or how good friends they are, or even if they received a message from Joseph Smith himself telling them what to do, the best and only thing MWG should have done was a "no comment" or similar in regards to what they think about what was going on with BTP.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

No idea, but I do think MWG severely underestimated just how unpopular Gately/BTP is within the wargaming community right now, and I'm still amazed that they apparently thought they could just insert themselves into this whole toxic situation, and suffer no repercussions or loss of paying customers or whatnot. That's almost at "current GW management"-levels in terms of "stupid business decisions".

If they are all part of the same mormon clan, it also makes sense

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

BULBASAUR posted:

If they are all part of the same mormon clan, it also makes sense

Yeah, that's why I made the Joseph Smith reference in my previous post. Though what does that say about them, if they then proceeded to cut and run on their Mormon brother in his hour of need? :ohdear:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, that's why I made the Joseph Smith reference in my previous post. Though what does that say about them, if they then proceeded to cut and run on their Mormon brother in his hour of need? :ohdear:

...that they're good enough to run for president, if the the Vice video about Mexico Romneys is to be believed. Is Mormonism somehow linked to being a lovely businessman?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

JcDent posted:

Is Mormonism somehow linked to being a lovely businessman?

Quick, someone find out what particular religion Tom Kirby follows! :v:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Quick, someone find out what particular religion Tom Kirby follows! :v:

He probably unironically worships Sigmar or something.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

JcDent posted:

...that they're good enough to run for president, if the the Vice video about Mexico Romneys is to be believed. Is Mormonism somehow linked to being a lovely businessman?

What happens in Desseret stays in Desseret.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Apparently Gately replied to someone's comment on a BTP video, regarding the situation with the dude's Chaos Dwarf models:

quote:

Though it may not seem like it, this matter is at the forefront of my mind. I do care for this situation and for this client.

Sadly, "re: working it out" my last communication from this client (Oct 19) was "At this point the only resolution I see is for BTP to issue a full refund and I will take care of the repairs myself or hire someone else to do it." That is where we are at loggerheads. At the outset (about a month ago) I offered four solutions. One of which was to charge only for L3 work all around for every model. That offer is still on the table.

An additional complication: since October 15th there has been a chargeback pending with the issuing bank. And with Paypal. So, there's really nothing for me to do but wait for those to resolve. If the client is refunded in full per force then the matter is settled. Interested parties can email me and I am happy to send a record of communications and reference material which provide an unvarnished picture of the whole matter.

Note that Gately doesn't mention that all four of the "solutions" he offered were either ridiculously unworkable (fly an artist out to the guy's house to fix it? Get the gently caress outta here) or required the guy to place further trust in BTP (which he was understandably unwilling to do), and that the one solution the guy did accept (have the models fixed by another studio) was subsequently retracted by Gately after he realized it was going to cost him money.

Also note that Gately is basically willing to send anyone who's interested the private business correspondence between himself and a client. :stare:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also note that Gately is basically willing to send anyone who's interested the private business correspondence between himself and a client. :stare:

Yeah what the gently caress? That's weird and unprofessional as hell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah what the gently caress? That's weird and unprofessional as hell.

Well, that's basically Gately in a nutshell. There are a few ex-employee stories floating around about how Gately thinks he's always right, believes he's above rules and laws, etc. It doesn't surprise me a bit to learn that he thinks releasing private correspondence from a client is a perfectly acceptable method of damage control.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Not only is it private correspondence, it's also redacted and edited to hell to make him look like the good guy. Tenebre from the DakkaDakka forum had it sent over to him upon request from another user who was sent it, and said it was chopped and changed a hell of a lot to make him look like the bad guy.

I hope he is able to get his money back in small claims court. gently caress Gately. A friend of mine loves the guy because he does what he wishes he could (I guess that means run a painting service which rips off its clients?), and convinced another friend to get some miniatures painted by BTP and sent to him for his Infinity force. He chose level 4 or 5 I think, and seriously they were worse than what even my friends meagre talent could achieve. He was so angry about it, despite my other friends protestations that they were good for what they cost (they weren't).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

Not only is it private correspondence, it's also redacted and edited to hell to make him look like the good guy. Tenebre from the DakkaDakka forum had it sent over to him upon request from another user who was sent it, and said it was chopped and changed a hell of a lot to make him look like the bad guy.

I hope he is able to get his money back in small claims court. gently caress Gately. A friend of mine loves the guy because he does what he wishes he could (I guess that means run a painting service which rips off its clients?), and convinced another friend to get some miniatures painted by BTP and sent to him for his Infinity force. He chose level 4 or 5 I think, and seriously they were worse than what even my friends meagre talent could achieve. He was so angry about it, despite my other friends protestations that they were good for what they cost (they weren't).
Has everyone learnt their lesson now (that particular friend is a loving idiot for recommending BTP)? You should tell the other dude should sell his models off to the Gately fanboy for full retail price plus BTP cost, if the dude rates that poo poo so highly he has no right to turn down that demand.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm still mystified how people are paying him like 15 bucks plus a model for basic troops when the industry standard is 5.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Well, that's basically Gately in a nutshell. There are a few ex-employee stories floating around about how Gately thinks he's always right, believes he's above rules and laws, etc. It doesn't surprise me a bit to learn that he thinks releasing private correspondence from a client is a perfectly acceptable method of damage control.

Welcome to Small Business Owners

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'm still mystified how people are paying him like 15 bucks plus a model for basic troops when the industry standard is 5.

That "industry standard" either assumes sub-minimum wage or that the figures are totally done in 30 minutes.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I read Gately's blog a long while back, and unsurprisingly he's a Libertarian shitheel who doesn't want any government interference of any kind, follows the teachings of books like "Think and Grow Rich" as well as a hundred other "Self-Help your way to prosperity" writers as if they were gospel, and thinks that if the Government just got out of his way, he'd be a Randian super-genius in the mold of Galt himself. Oh and loves Ron Paul, what a shock.

He's delusional, and finally the mask is coming off and people can see just how bad this guy is at marketing a service to the public. He should just give up BTP and open a car wash somewhere. Though it'd likely end in him witholding someones car when they complained about the fact the car wasn't done properly, and auctioning it off on the side to someone else, saying the previous owner wasn't happy with the colour of it.

Also my friend wouldn't buy the miniatures, because he paints himself (he does jobs for other friends), and he also doesn't play Yu-Jing. That'd be the excuse.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 14, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

That "industry standard" either assumes sub-minimum wage or that the figures are totally done in 30 minutes.

You don't make minimum wage painting miniatures, you will never make any good money painting miniatures unless you are a speed painting machine. The 5 dollar standard for troops is usually because you paint batches of 10-20 at a time using basic techniques. So it takes you probably 4ish hours but you're making like 10-20 bucks an hour in theory if you can pound them out fast and not gently caress up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's pretty terrible. I know a girl who recently gave up on doing commissions. She did amazing work but refused to charge anywhere near what she was worth. I think the final straw was when an army she'd knocked herself out completing showed up back at her game store months later - with some Storage Wars type lot-buyers asking if it was worth anything.

I think that pricing standard comes from people unwilling to charge their "friends" or drastically under-valuing their time ("I'm compensated in fun!") but either way paying $5 for figure's worth of effort and skilled labor would be completely unacceptable anywhere outside of this damaged hobby.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

It's pretty terrible. I know a girl who recently gave up on doing commissions. She did amazing work but refused to charge anywhere near what she was worth. I think the final straw was when an army she'd knocked herself out completing showed up back at her game store months later - with some Storage Wars type lot-buyers asking if it was worth anything.

I think that pricing standard comes from people unwilling to charge their "friends" or drastically under-valuing their time ("I'm compensated in fun!") but either way paying $5 for figure's worth of effort and skilled labor would be completely unacceptable anywhere outside of this damaged hobby.

Let me be clear, you don't do 5 dollars a fig for anything less than groups of ten or so guys you can batch paint. That rate isn't people doing it for their friends, it's from actual pro painting services. If you can't batch paint 40 dudes in under 5 hours you shouldn't be in the industry. It's like complaining that someone makes less than minimum wage cutting and edging your lawn if he takes a huge amount of time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah. If I charged minimum wage for a single figure, even speed-painted, I'd be looking at about £25 to £30 per figure.

You can lower this dramatically by doing batch-work, but even then, minimum wage is not what you should be earning for highly skilled work like this.

To be honest, I don't think commission painting of figures is really a viable business. 40 bucks an hour isn't much when you take into account how much those hours cost in materials.

But all that being said, I'm usually willing to paint what my friends are playing (for D&D) and give the minis away to them for free or cost, because... well hell, I enjoy the painting and haven't got enough space to keep all the minis I have waiting to paint anyway.

I wouldn't try to make a business out of it though.