Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Going by McKinley on the way to Shanghai ✈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
This has probably been asked before but....Do you guys always leave the Hud down in cruise? Seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to have it floating in front of your face all the time. Every time I've seen someone use one from a jump seat they don't deploy it until they're descending through 10,000'

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
We operate HUD down from cockpit scan to after landing check.

Took a few months to really get used to it being there but it's no big deal now.

As Pilot Monitoring, I usually keep the seat fairly far back. This means that you don't ever come close to hitting your head, but you also don't see anything through the HUD since it has a pretty specific sweet spot where you need to keep your head.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Going on the second month of aerial survey and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've pretty much been in south Texas the entire time and it's nice not having a Chicago winter to deal with. So far I've been hanging around the Galveston and Corpus Christi areas, and am currently in Corpus.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I hope you've been hanging out with FK and annoying him with survey work.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

Sky Regional Q400 just crashed at the Edmonton airport...injuries reported and and the aircraft is substantially damaged.

E: Air Canada 8481, Calgary to Grande Prairie; flight diverted to Edmonton. Three passengers transported to hospital with minor injuries.

Right gear folded, kind of hard to tell why from this picture though.

One of the prop blades came off with enough energy to make it into the cabin. I thought they were designed NOT to fly into the cabin in the even of a prop strike?

Apparently the passenger in this seat was the worst of the injuries and sustained only "bumps to the head."

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Thought I read somewhere that the prop didn't actually make it into the cabin, just kinda caused the interior of the cabin to shatter, thus maybe the bumps? Hit by bits of flying sidewall? Can't remember where I read it. Not necessarily a credible source.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Fun aerial photo time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1PuER2b3_o

Santa Barbara:

Point Mugu:

Santa Ana winds led to unusual takeoff directions, thus some rare picture opportunities.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Going on the second month of aerial survey and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've pretty much been in south Texas the entire time and it's nice not having a Chicago winter to deal with. So far I've been hanging around the Galveston and Corpus Christi areas, and am currently in Corpus.

Oh hi. If you guys had been in and out of TFP and CRP over the weekend I talked to you all several times. It's been fun vectoring the itinerants in between you guys. The maps with the labels really helped us plan around you. I hope most of us were cordial, and that you didn't have to deal with ol' marble-mouth too much.

It was nice working some traffic over the weekend for once. I think I had 15 planes or more at one point on Saturday afternoon. 5 or 6 of them were survey planes.

The weather was unbelievably nice.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Oh hi. If you guys had been in and out of TFP and CRP over the weekend I talked to you all several times. It's been fun vectoring the itinerants in between you guys. The maps with the labels really helped us plan around you. I hope most of us were cordial, and that you didn't have to deal with ol' marble-mouth too much.

It was nice working some traffic over the weekend for once. I think I had 15 planes or more at one point on Saturday afternoon. 5 or 6 of them were survey planes.

The weather was unbelievably nice.

I'm in TFP right now, we're still working. You guys have been good to us, I haven't had any problems at all. We're almost done here but it looks like lovely weather the next couple of days then we'll have to do reflies at some point but shouldn't be here much longer. My tail number ends in 721 and you've probably talked to me at some point

Only part that's sucked about the job has been being away from the girlfriend, she's flying into corpus on Thursday for the weekend though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rumblings on Airliners.net have Air Wisconsin starting Delta Connection flying in the near future. Are they magically going to add CR7s or CR9s? DL was trying to dump CR2s the last I'd heard.

I also wonder how this might affect ExpressJet/Chautauqua/Endeavor/Skywest and how they tie into DCI flying. Do any of the four have a contract vote coming up?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rumblings on Airliners.net have Air Wisconsin starting Delta Connection flying in the near future. Are they magically going to add CR7s or CR9s? DL was trying to dump CR2s the last I'd heard.

I also wonder how this might affect ExpressJet/Chautauqua/Endeavor/Skywest and how they tie into DCI flying. Do any of the four have a contract vote coming up?

Delta's last investors call said they were trying to have 125 CR2s in the near future so they're still planning on having some around.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Have any of you ATC guys had a chance to check this out yet: http://store.steampowered.com/app/270830/

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Goetta posted:

Have any of you ATC guys had a chance to check this out yet: http://store.steampowered.com/app/270830/

I'm actually dorky enough to mess around on VATSIM from time to time, but I'm not paying $35 to do my job :)

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I'm in TFP right now, we're still working. You guys have been good to us, I haven't had any problems at all. We're almost done here but it looks like lovely weather the next couple of days then we'll have to do reflies at some point but shouldn't be here much longer. My tail number ends in 721 and you've probably talked to me at some point

Only part that's sucked about the job has been being away from the girlfriend, she's flying into corpus on Thursday for the weekend though

Ah neat, then yes I've definitely been speaking to you. I hope the weather cooperates for your gal's visit, it has been so nice these past few days. Not sure if you're staying in Ingleside or Corpus. The Lexington is worth a visit, and our aquarium is pretty nice. Waterstreet Oyster Bar does happy hour Tues-Thurs 4pm-7pm, though it was a better deal back before the big oil spill and oysters were half off during that special. They were supposed to start getting local oysters again this month, but I haven't noticed the market price go down yet.

If you or your girlfriend/coworkers have any interest in seeing the CRP ATC facility, let me know. It's super easy to make that happen.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I feel like clicking around telling planes where to go is no where near as fun as coordinating over voice. Just me.

Also there was another Frederick, MD related incident over the weekend. A student and instructor were doing a night cross country and crashed into some mountains on Saturday night. I was flying from Martinsburg WV to Baltimore on Saturday evening, flew over the FDK vor probably less than an hour after they departed. They were probably down on the ground going over the flight plan at the time. poo poo's real :(

The student survived but the instructor didn't make it.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Just got my private pilot certificate yesterday :toot: (US ASEL)

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Thanks to tiny frail wires it looks like my Quiet Technologies Halo headset will not last a second Arctic winter. Reading up on ANR headsets it looks like the best bang for your buck is the Lightspeed Zulu.2. Is there anyone who has experience with them in extremely cold weather? With build quality and noise attenuation being my highest priorities is there another headset I should be looking at?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Freshwater Louie posted:

Thanks to tiny frail wires it looks like my Quiet Technologies Halo headset will not last a second Arctic winter. Reading up on ANR headsets it looks like the best bang for your buck is the Lightspeed Zulu.2. Is there anyone who has experience with them in extremely cold weather? With build quality and noise attenuation being my highest priorities is there another headset I should be looking at?

Avoid anything with carbon fibre, I had two pairs of dc x13s snap in the cold in my time up north. Beyond that I'm not sure what the go to ones are these days.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I got the Zulu 2s a couple months ago. They are super comfortable but I have no experience with them in supercold temps

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I would look for something with as little structural plastic as possible, plastic doesn't do well in the super cold.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Freshwater Louie posted:

If you don't mind on-ear vs. over-the-ear, I highly recommend the DC PRO-X.

Meanwhile, in Lake Powell...

Yes, I pretty much meant IN Lake Powell. There's video of us flying in the canyons plus buzzing some backcountry strips if any one is interested.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Freshwater Louie posted:

The Zulu is a good headset for sure, but I liked my Telex Stratus 50D. Not the most comfortable headset, but it is one of the best performing ANR sets out there plus it's built like a tank. Also if durability is an overriding concern, honestly DC is still a solid choice.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

:words:

I've been mulling over the purchase of the pro-x for a while, good to hear it's good.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So ever since I took a few intro flights a while ago, I've never been able to shake the urge to go for my pilot's license. As a dude with a desk job, it'd be nice to hop in a plane and get away for the day. Just take off and enjoy a flight into the sunset. Or hell, jet off to a city that normally takes hours by car. Basically, a way to offset the boredom of work and my current life.

Thanks to my ADHD, I'm pretty much only eligible for the Sport Pilot license. And looking at my bank account, I could possibly begin flight training. But with my expenses and raising a kid, I don't want to commit flight training just yet. I'd hate to start the program, make good progress, then have to stop due to running out of money. I was looking at the web site for the school where I did my intro flights and found they offer financing for pilot training.

So, a few questions regarding both the Sport Pilot license and pilot license financing:

-How common are the light sport airplanes that the SP license restricts you to? I'd hate to get the license and find that very few places offer SP eligible aircraft to rent!
-For anyone here that has a SP license, how long did it take you to get it? Since, well, it seems like a lot of flight schools tout how cheap their prices are for the program. But, if you look at the pricing, they're assuming that you'll get your license in the minimum amount of time the FAA requires.

-With pilot license financing, is it a good idea? Besides life things like losing a job, etc. making it hard to make the monthly payments, are there any other pitfalls of financing?
-The school that I'm considering offers a financing program. This section bugs me: "Please note that the example below is based off the maximum APR of 18%. If you qualify for a Preferred Interest Rate, your payments may be considerable lower."

Is it common to qualify for lower rates? My credit rating hovers between good and excellent, depending on which credit rating service you look at.

-If financing pilot training is, in fact, NOT a dumb idea, what is a good lender to go through? Are there alternatives to flight training specific lenders? (Your bank/credit union, etc.)
-What happens if the school were to go out of business after entering in to a financing program? Are you still on the hook for the entirety of the amount borrowed?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dolemite posted:

So ever since I took a few intro flights a while ago, I've never been able to shake the urge to go for my pilot's license. As a dude with a desk job, it'd be nice to hop in a plane and get away for the day. Just take off and enjoy a flight into the sunset. Or hell, jet off to a city that normally takes hours by car. Basically, a way to offset the boredom of work and my current life.

Thanks to my ADHD, I'm pretty much only eligible for the Sport Pilot license. And looking at my bank account, I could possibly begin flight training. But with my expenses and raising a kid, I don't want to commit flight training just yet. I'd hate to start the program, make good progress, then have to stop due to running out of money. I was looking at the web site for the school where I did my intro flights and found they offer financing for pilot training.

So, a few questions regarding both the Sport Pilot license and pilot license financing:

-How common are the light sport airplanes that the SP license restricts you to? I'd hate to get the license and find that very few places offer SP eligible aircraft to rent!
-For anyone here that has a SP license, how long did it take you to get it? Since, well, it seems like a lot of flight schools tout how cheap their prices are for the program. But, if you look at the pricing, they're assuming that you'll get your license in the minimum amount of time the FAA requires.

-With pilot license financing, is it a good idea? Besides life things like losing a job, etc. making it hard to make the monthly payments, are there any other pitfalls of financing?
-The school that I'm considering offers a financing program. This section bugs me: "Please note that the example below is based off the maximum APR of 18%. If you qualify for a Preferred Interest Rate, your payments may be considerable lower."

Is it common to qualify for lower rates? My credit rating hovers between good and excellent, depending on which credit rating service you look at.

-If financing pilot training is, in fact, NOT a dumb idea, what is a good lender to go through? Are there alternatives to flight training specific lenders? (Your bank/credit union, etc.)
-What happens if the school were to go out of business after entering in to a financing program? Are you still on the hook for the entirety of the amount borrowed?

LSAs can be difficult to find for rent depending on location. The more populous your area, the more likely chance you'll find an option. Here in Corpus Christi, TX I'm not aware of any options with the flight schools. My old flight school in Waco, TX has a couple.

I think financing any luxury item is a bad idea. I do not recommend financing pilot ratings.

The other questions I can't speak to directly. I do want to ask though, you have no already been denied an airmen's medical, correct? You've never applied for one? If that's the case then definitely keep it that way. I just want to make sure you understand that if you apply for a medical and get rejected, it nixes your Sport Pilot option as well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would NOT recommend financing your lessons. At all. For one, even with great credit, your APR is going to be terrible. For another, it's just a bad idea - similar to financing a vacation. You don't have anything tangible of value to resell to recoup some of the losses.

Pilot Finance is not a completely terrible option as the way they work (at least as to how I understand it) is that you get approved for X amount but they only deposit into your account what is needed for your next lesson. So if you quit for whatever reason, you're only on the hook for whatever you've spent. There's more to it than that, but still a bad idea.

A slightly worse option is that if you have to, and if you have great credit, you're likely getting offers for 0% APR for 12-15 months credit cards. Then near the end of the 12-15 months, roll it to another 0% APR card (assuming you get one). Be aware, though, that they usually have stipulations that if not paid off by the end of the 12-15 months, they will retroactively charge you the interest for the 12-15 months at whatever the prime rate is.

Long story short: Don't finance your lessons. Scrimp, scratch, and save until you have enough to pay out of pocket. Finally, get your number and add at least 25 percent to it.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 12, 2014

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I've never seen anything that says ADHD precludes you from getting a medical, it just makes the procedure more of a pain. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to an AME and see what they have to say about it. If they say you won't pass, that doesn't mean you failed... You never took a medical.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dolemite posted:

LSA aren't anywhere near as common as certified Cessnas/Pipers and the like. On the other hand, you're most likely going to be renting where you're training so if that's close to home, probably not an issue. Renting a plane isn't like renting a car where just having the license is enough; if you travel away from your home FBO and want to rent, the new FBO is pretty likely to want you to fly 1-5 hours with one of their CFIs and get checked out. (I know there's at least one program trying to establish a baseline checkout and if you pass it in a given airplane with a participating club/FBO and travel to a new club/FBO which also participates, no checkout needed.)

Everyone always assume you'll complete in min time. And some people do. But most don't, especially if things like weather/finances/family/aircraft scheduling prevent you from flying 3 or more times per week. Financing a luxury is a bad idea as the others have said, but I can *almost* see it if it means you'll get lessons in more regularly than you otherwise would. But I'd probably use a credit card or home equity loan or the like where I control the money. Don't do any program with the school; if they go out of business (which is not uncommon), you're now out the money with no training. Still a bad idea to finance.

If you do go the Sport Pilot route, ideally look for a CFI who is also a Private Pilot CFI. If at some point in the future you're able to get to Private Pilot due to not needing the meds or FAA becoming more liberal (edit: and AOPA and EAA are pushing to eliminate the 3rd class medical), training hours done with a Sport-only CFI won't count towards a Private Pilot.

Also, in before someone gives the terrible "lie on your medical" advice.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 12, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

chrisgt posted:

I've never seen anything that says ADHD precludes you from getting a medical, it just makes the procedure more of a pain. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to an AME and see what they have to say about it. If they say you won't pass, that doesn't mean you failed... You never took a medical.

Get a student pilot membership to the AOPA, hop on the AOPA forums and ask in the Medical Matters forum. But I'm pretty sure you have to be fully off any psychotropic drugs for a while and then do a several-thousands-of-dollars battery of tests that aren't generally covered by insurance to get your Special Issuance.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 12, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

chrisgt posted:

It requires a special issuance. Here are the requirements. The exams and tests are very expensive.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If the 3rd class medical exemption passes you'll be fine!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and had to jump through hoops to get my special issuance medical. It is possible but it is a loving pain in the rear end. When I went for my 2nd medical I got a regular Second Class with the special issuance removed. No hoops.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Slamburger posted:

Just got my private pilot certificate yesterday :toot: (US ASEL)

Congrats! Added to OP!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Delta wants to keep 200s flying, in fact, they are still refurbishing the interiors of some 200s. Endeavors inability to staff them much longer I could easily see them going somewhere else. The 200 isn't in Endeavors bankruptcy agreement with Delta, just 81 x CRJ900s.

Speaking of Endeavor's staffing. This is as of Nov 7th from a friend. This leaves about 1600 pilots on property (down from 3000 in Sept 2011).

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 13, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Is it confirmed that Air Wisconsin is going to let their AAG contract expire without renewing it?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If they let the AAG contract go, would they be able to get flying from anyone else without taking concessions?

From what I could find, their payscales are substantially higher than PSA, TSA, or Endeavor, so given that Delta, United, and AAG all have contracts with (or outright own) regionals with substantially lower labor costs and more efficient aircraft, giving a contract to Air Wisconsin wouldn't be terribly attractive to the bean counters at the majors.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Butt Reactor posted:

Another strenuous recommendation for the DC PRO-X. I've got about 500 hours using them in our 7X and they're almost TOO quiet. No plastic structural bits to break in frigid conditions, either. Very comfortable to wear over glasses or sunglasses, since there is minimal clamping pressure (unlike the DC H-10-40's I wore for four thousand hours).

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. The DC Pro X originally caught my eye in the headset hunt but too many bad reviews had sent me looking elsewhere. Looks like I may have been too quick to discredit them. Helloooo DC 30 day return policy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a warmer note, I got to play with a conventional O-540 Maule in the Arizona desert today. I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Rolo posted:

On a warmer note, I got to play with a conventional O-540 Maule in the Arizona desert today. I'll post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

Yes, right up my alley as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sorry it's a bit delayed, here are some pics from my weekend.

• Locked thread