Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good, maybe now people will stop with the baseless speculation to the contrary :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Edit: Accidental quote while using my phone.

daspope fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2014

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
On a different note: Has anyone noticed a subtle fading in and out of music on their Lumia 1520? I've disabled all Dolby fuckery, and have v decent headphones, but still hear a weird muffle/volume modulation at times. No pattern noticed as of yet, and it seems to happen in both youtube and xbone music. Am I nuts? What could this be? Recent hits on my playlist include Machine Head's latest though also noticed on Jon Hopkins.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
My 900 is now having simcard issues and I've had to pull it out at least once a day this week, but at least at&t now has the M8Win8. Still torn between it and the 1520, since there's no Icon/930 available.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Mr Funkface posted:

On a different note: Has anyone noticed a subtle fading in and out of music on their Lumia 1520? I've disabled all Dolby fuckery, and have v decent headphones, but still hear a weird muffle/volume modulation at times. No pattern noticed as of yet, and it seems to happen in both youtube and xbone music. Am I nuts? What could this be? Recent hits on my playlist include Machine Head's latest though also noticed on Jon Hopkins.

This happens with my 1520 when I'm using the Bluetooth in my car, but I really don't use it with headphones so I don't know if it's just the stereo in the car being weird or if it's the phone. It happens with Beats Music and that Music+ app. Might also happen with that Nokia Mix app, or whatever it's called now.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Unless they're on Verizon, I'm sure.

Edit: And then I go look at the article and see that every other post says the same thing. Verizon is seriously the worst.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 14, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mr Funkface posted:

My 630 (which I've now decided is a lovely phone and should only be used as a backup/burner) does this. Especially when streaming Spotify over bluetooth.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

As exciting as I find this, it's tempered by the fact that without any new phone announcements, most of us would still wind up just running it on whatever new Win10 phones came out anyway.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shrimpy posted:

As exciting as I find this, it's tempered by the fact that without any new phone announcements, most of us would still wind up just running it on whatever new Win10 phones came out anyway.

You can just run Windows 10 on your 4 year old Lumia 920! :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can you not get Cortana to give you directions? I kept trying to get directions from her today and it was just loving web searching the address I put in.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Can you not get Cortana to give you directions? I kept trying to get directions from her today and it was just loving web searching the address I put in.

Working for me. I say "get me directions to [whatever address]" and it opens Here Maps or Here Drive or whatever and then I just hit Start. Also worked with a business name.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Cortana only seems to work with directions if I have Places set up.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I'm on a 925, using the Awful app (it is not awful) but since the most recent update it's doing something a bit tiresome - it no longer remembers scroll position when flipping back from a thread to the thread or forum listings.

Known bug? Just me?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

You can just run Windows 10 on your 4 year old Lumia 920! :)

I'm sure AT&T will devote lots of resources to testing that update :saddowns:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

I'm sure AT&T will devote lots of resources to testing that update :saddowns:

That's why you should have bought an unlocked Rogers version and use it on T-Mobile. :smug:

Although getting internet sharing to work properly has been a bitch that involved getting a foreign SIM card (Vodafone in my case) and futzing around with the settings as described here.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

loquacius posted:

I still really miss the Zune desktop player, guys :smith:

e: I know, I can still use it to play music on my PC, it just doesn't feel the same

I'm the same. It boggles me that peoples decision regarding a phone is music related.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Cannot use change page feature in the awful app. It just doesn't work.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I got a "critical update" last night for the 8.1 developer preview. I couldn't find any patch notes, but it seems to have addressed my Wi-Fi/Bluetooth issues. Hoping it's not just placebo since not having a reliable Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection on a handset in almost-2015 is frustrating.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I'm the same. It boggles me that peoples decision regarding a phone is music related.

What? People used to carry diskmen, walkmen, fm radios, and iPods. Occasionally you'll run into a person carrying a iPod touch for music but in general phones have replaced dedicated music players. Music is incredibly important for a large chunk of users.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Stick100 posted:

What? People used to carry diskmen, walkmen, fm radios, and iPods. Occasionally you'll run into a person carrying a iPod touch for music but in general phones have replaced dedicated music players. Music is incredibly important for a large chunk of users.

Well, I do use my phone(s) for music a lot. Mainly while running and most music apps on WP8.1 are not really hot included xbox music. Android and iOS are miles ahead when it comes to media due to the better app selection.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish audible wasn't such a piece of poo poo. I've put up with a lot of app issues, but that is the one that really burns.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

ElGroucho posted:

I wish audible wasn't such a piece of poo poo. I've put up with a lot of app issues, but that is the one that really burns.

It's the app I love to hate on every platform. Only some of the information syncs, so if you finish a book on one device and switch to a device with a different OS you lose the "completed" attribute on your finished books. :/ Not to mention you can't pause on iOS and pick up where you left off on desktop Windows 8.1.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I've just realised Cortana bypasses the lock screen (I don't have a passcode so I never noticed). What's the most damaging thing that can happen if someone hacks my Cortanas?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

So I've just realised Cortana bypasses the lock screen (I don't have a passcode so I never noticed). What's the most damaging thing that can happen if someone hacks my Cortanas?

Nothing. Cortana bypasses the lock screen to play music or answer a question, but if I tell her to do something that could affect my phone it asks me to unlock my phone.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone on AT&T with a 920, on the developer preview? I just got my Band, and the official Cyan 8.1 release is missing a bunch of features for the Band, like Cortana and notifications. I want to update, but I want to not get shafted by bugs in the process.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Chasiubao posted:

Anyone on AT&T with a 920, on the developer preview? I just got my Band, and the official Cyan 8.1 release is missing a bunch of features for the Band, like Cortana and notifications. I want to update, but I want to not get shafted by bugs in the process.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3459618&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post437803210

But yeah, you need to be in the Developer Preview to get Cortana on the Band.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Current Dev Preview Build Status: NOT hosed

There are some issues where multiple instances of apps can sometimes pile up in your task manager and affect battery life if you don't clear them out periodically, but the build from last week fixed most of those and honestly it's well worth it to get extra features.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah that was me, crossposting :shobon:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah that was me, crossposting :shobon:

Lovely, didn't notice that :haw:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

Lovely, didn't notice that :haw:

Pulling it down now. Interestingly, the Health App can sign you up for preview without the other Preview App. Just tap a few yes'es and it started downloading.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Still wifi woes on the HTC 8XT. And still nothing new from Sprint. I see I'm not missing much right now, fortunately, but was hoping for a fix eventually.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Today when I started my car with my phone in my pocket,it connected as an audio device not a phone. Has anyone else had this happen or know why?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

joebuddah posted:

Today when I started my car with my phone in my pocket,it connected as an audio device not a phone. Has anyone else had this happen or know why?

Assuming your car supports A2DP, it should show up as both headset and audio.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

loquacius posted:

Current Dev Preview Build Status: NOT hosed

There are some issues where multiple instances of apps can sometimes pile up in your task manager and affect battery life if you don't clear them out periodically, but the build from last week fixed most of those and honestly it's well worth it to get extra features.

Messaging still does it sadly

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Factor Mystic posted:

Quick poll: for people who use a mobile device to listen to music a) how much do you use playlists and b) what format are your (mobile or otherwise) playlist files, if your playlists are files (and not 'whatever spotify is').

a) Never*
b) N/A

* I once made a playlist on the Zune desktop software, but that's about it.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I use playlists half the time and I use whatever file type Zune /WP uses.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only have a few playlists of my favorite albums specifically so I can download a playlist and have some music on my device instead of going album by album. I never use them for playback.

(I'm a Google Play/Android user if that makes a difference.)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Turns out a 0h 0m sleep session will cause the Health app to crash when you tap the sleep tile :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

a) 75-80% of the time
b) I always used smart playlists that synced down from my PC (either iTunes or Zune), not sure how those got stored on the phone