Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Soulwrangler posted:

At the 80 page point the Ghostbusters, on behalf of the Mayor, interrupt the nightly news with an emergency broadcast from Venkman's World of the Psychic set that ends with Stantz informing the populace of NY that Ray Steven's 1970 hit "Everything is Beautiful" is the scientifically proven best song to sing to create peace.

That sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is this the alleged script that Bill Murray signed off on?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

You're not wrong but it does feel different. The whole ordeal starts after the Ghostbusters set up a trap for Vigo on Ellis Island, when that fails he ends up possessing lady liberty while Louis Tully and Not Dana/Unnamed Child try to escape, using the statue as a quicker means of catching up to them.

The whole Vigo backstory is weird too in that he's much more Rasputin than Vlad the Impaler. A type of wizard who's spirit is housed inside a triptych, and has a false immortality-- siring a son that he then possess. The script abandons the concept of PKE in the first act and replaces it with Psychomagnetic Force, Anti-PKE, which apparently fuels Vigo somehow (precursor to River of Slime stuff). There's a notion that the fall of Rome and the Russian revolution were due to Psychomagnetic Force build ups/explosions and that whatever this force is its building up deep underneath the streets of New York. At the 80 page point the Ghostbusters, on behalf of the Mayor, interrupt the nightly news with an emergency broadcast from Venkman's World of the Psychic set that ends with Stantz informing the populace of NY that Ray Steven's 1970 hit "Everything is Beautiful" is the scientifically proven best song to sing to create peace.

Yeah, it's a really strange script that feels like a very rough draft (which it would be; it's dated in August and they didn't start shooting until November) and a lot of the dialogue is really stiff. Venkman, in particular, is written really strangely -- his initial meeting with Lane is some incredibly ham-fisted stuff.

Edit: They don't even name Vigo as Vigo until page 93 (of 115), when Egon gives a huge page and a half infodump about the guy.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It sort of feels like in some ways that script is sort of a slide back into the original Ghostbusters drafts of it being more strange and magical with a much larger universe of stuff for them to deal with.

That sort of progression makes me think Ghostbusters in Hell as GB3 then almost sort of works a bit more. First film is strange ghosts and other dimensional entities. Second film is a magical wizard with strange new powers and I guess fewer of the established ghost elements of the first film. A third film with a focus on literal Hell as a place seems almost 'normal'.

Granted, second film is already a magic wizard type guy with strange new powers, but GB2 as it is still sounds almost like it is more like GB1 than the earlier GB2 draft.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 9, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_II_August_5,_1988_Draft

Just in case anyone wants to read virtually all the differences between the draft and the released film. It's :spergin: levels of detail, ehich I appreciated and read every last word of.

Seriously feels like I just watched the alternate film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JediTalentAgent posted:

It sort of feels like in some ways that script is sort of a slide back into the original Ghostbusters drafts of it being more strange and magical with a much larger universe of stuff for them to deal with.

That sort of progression makes me think Ghostbusters in Hell as GB3 then almost sort of works a bit more. First film is strange ghosts and other dimensional entities. Second film is a magical wizard with strange new powers and I guess fewer of the established ghost elements of the first film. A third film with a focus on literal Hell as a place seems almost 'normal'.

Granted, second film is already a magic wizard type guy with strange new powers, but GB2 as it is still sounds almost like it is more like GB1 than the earlier GB2 draft.

I think the flat-out weirdest part of the script is the bit where literal Men In Black kidnap the Ghostbusters and deliver them to the mayor, who's asking for their help. There's a bizarre part in which Ray and the Mayor go back and forth about still being owed for the GB1 job, and how the Ghostbusters need to be indemnified and whatnot for anything that can happen as a result of them helping the city. (There's actually a strange amount of worldbuilding in the script.)

There's also a weird bit in the climax with Louis in drag.

Thank God Aykroyd had Reitman and Ramis to say, "Wait, what, no."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I think the flat-out weirdest part of the script is the bit where literal Men In Black kidnap the Ghostbusters and deliver them to the mayor, who's asking for their help. There's a bizarre part in which Ray and the Mayor go back and forth about still being owed for the GB1 job, and how the Ghostbusters need to be indemnified and whatnot for anything that can happen as a result of them helping the city. (There's actually a strange amount of worldbuilding in the script.)

There's also a weird bit in the climax with Louis in drag.

Thank God Aykroyd had Reitman and Ramis to say, "Wait, what, no."

The video game (for which Aykroyd and Ramis wrote the story) has a bit on this as well, it mentions them being contracted with the city and thus insurance pays for all the poo poo they wreck.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Actually Aykroyd and Ramis had very limited involvement with the video game script, I think it's mostly Aykroyd going in and giving Aykroydian-terms to equipment and pseudoscience, I just think that any writer looking at a possible progression of the story post Ghostbusters-films would be a larger incorporation, officially sanctioned service, etc-- anything that does away with the absurdity of them being closed down.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_II_August_5,_1988_Draft

Just in case anyone wants to read virtually all the differences between the draft and the released film. It's :spergin: levels of detail, ehich I appreciated and read every last word of.

Seriously feels like I just watched the alternate film.

With just another draft or two, that film could have actually worked better than the actual GB2. With comic book remakes of alternate scripts having had some popularity these days -- Ellison's Edge of Forever original vision, Miller's Robocop 2 pitch, Schumacher talking about doing for his post-Batman and Robin stories -- in comic book form, I'm sort of surprised they haven't blown this script off and given it a tune up and done just that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Timby posted:

Bill Murray held things up, because his contract gave him control over the progress of any new Ghostbusters film (along with Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman and Sony). If Aykroyd (it's really weird how you refer to them by their first names), Sony / Columbia and a reluctant Ramis had had their way, you would have gotten Ghostbusters 3 in 2000 or 2001, and it would have been terrible.

This post turned me around and made me glad we never got a Ghostbusters 3, because you're 100% right.

I can't imagine a 2000 version of Ghostbusters without thinking it would have just plain sucked.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The beauty of the first Ghostbusters is it's brevity. It feels like everything is scraped back to the bear minimum in order to allow it to move at the speed it does. The end result is no dead weight in any of the scenes. If GB2 didn't follow GB1 beat for beat, I just assume there would be more actual Ghostbusting, of which there is very little in GB1.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I kind of wish that the firehall was featured more in the sequel. We see no containment unit, nor do we really see the main entrance, aside from Janine leaving at the end of the day.

EDIT: And a brief shot in the montage of Louis and Slimer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I got bought vols. 1-5 of the ongoing IDW, and I've rocketed through them in the last few days. They're so good! Incorporating bits from the movies, the game, RGB, EGB and packed full of other references they're a really great read.

The writer has a really good ear for the voices of all the cast, not just the guys. Plus there's some fantastic world-building going on with Winston's fiancée, Agent Ortiz, etc. And I really like what they're doing with Peck. He may not like the GBs but dammit he's still going to support them and work with them because that's his job now. He's technically on their side and surprisingly has their back a lot of the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I kind of wish that the firehall was featured more in the sequel. We see no containment unit, nor do we really see the main entrance, aside from Janine leaving at the end of the day.

EDIT: And a brief shot in the montage of Louis and Slimer.

I feel like we see more of the firehouse -- the darkroom, some sort of lab where they're working on the slime blowers, the communal area with the pool table, etc.

quote:

I can't imagine a 2000 version of Ghostbusters without thinking it would have just plain sucked.

Blues Brothers 2000 should have been enough to disabuse anyone of the notion that Aykroyd has a mind for comedy anymore. Motherfucking Year One should have done the same for Ramis.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Timby posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 should have been enough to disabuse anyone of the notion that Aykroyd has a mind for comedy anymore. Motherfucking Year One should have done the same for Ramis.

And let's not forget Ivan Reitman's Evolution which WAS the closest thing to an early 2000s Ghostbusters, even down to the animated spin-off series which added a Slimer-esque mascot to the human team.

Edit - Also I think Aykroyd may have always just been better at coming up with clever and interesting concepts than actually writing comedy. Nothing But Trouble makes me so glad his original vision for Ghostbusters got completely retooled in collaboration with other people.

Avril Lavigne fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 10, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

WeX Majors posted:

But why do people still assume that this is gonna be poo poo, therefore, anyone who wants this movie just wants more poo poo?

I get that feeling because everything now days is flashy blurred light effects mega explosions. Ghostbusters was simple and the effects did their job. The cast was a stumble to get and worked perfect.
Now you're gonna get a shitload of effects that over sell it, a cast that likely won't hit it just right, and from the latest news posted here, we're going for an all woman cast which you know is gonna end up like Simpson's role in the Dukes of Hazzard movie (which sucked hard too)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
People were complaining about movies nowadays being all flashy effects and explosions in the 80s too. There were definitely people just throwing spaceships and lasers on screen and worrying about the story later.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Those dastardly women ruining our boyhood film franchise.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Avril Lavigne posted:

Edit - Also I think Aykroyd may have always just been better at coming up with clever and interesting concepts than actually writing comedy. Nothing But Trouble makes me so glad his original vision for Ghostbusters got completely retooled in collaboration with other people.

I don't know, when you think of NBT as Aykroyd's Texas Chainsaw Massacre I think it works.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

computer parts posted:

Those dastardly women ruining our boyhood film franchise.

Why are they doing the special effects

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Aykroyd posted:

But now we'll have a third movie with hopefully some miniskirts.

Hudson posted:

...if they’re not funny at least hopefully it’ll be sexy.

Maybe I'm coming late to the game on this but it bothers me that some of the original cast seem so sexist.

When I first heard about a possible all-female cast, my thoughts didn't race immediately toward bikini-clad ghostbustettes participating in slime wrestling and marshmallow t-shirt contests.

I just thought it'd be... well... y'know... more Ghostbusters :peanut:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

xezton posted:

Maybe I'm coming late to the game on this but it bothers me that some of the original cast seem so sexist.

When I first heard about a possible all-female cast, my thoughts didn't race immediately toward bikini-clad ghostbustettes participating in slime wrestling and marshmallow t-shirt contests.

I just thought it'd be... well... y'know... more Ghostbusters :peanut:

I feel the same way. I mean, it's possible that the quotes are strictly tongue-in-cheek, but really, it would have been better for them had they just not said those things.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
It's hard not to see either of the comments coming from a place of disapproval, Hudson feeling like (and rightfully so) that the series has always slighted him and Aykroyd losing control of arguably his most personal project.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

quote:

Bill would always look out for me to make sure I was okay. With the line, I think the line at the end of the movie, “I love this town”—or some of my other best lines—Bill would say, “Well, wait a minute, what about Ernie here?”

:unsmith:

That article is fantastic.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That truly is a wonderful article, and makes you appreciate the talent behind by the film even more.

Just watched this again, if you ever wanted to know what Murray would have looked like in GB3... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1U6FaoCGUo

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
In other New Old News an Eisenberg/Stupintsky draft of Ghostbusters 3, titled Ghostbusters, INC., has surfaced. Loosely confirmed to be genuine but I have doubts. Script isn't in proper format which might be an issue from having to be transcribed.

In short; If this is a legit draft we definitely dodged a bullet. To put it into perspective without going into a full length review I laughed more while reading the very oddball Ghostbusters II draft mentioned last page than I did while reading this. Some high(low? dim?)lights:

Venkman is Mayor, Winston is Ghostbuster INC's night shift mechanic, Ray and Egon have been pushed out of the company due to damages incurred while saving New York (again, this time the destruction of the Triborough Bridge). Ghostbusters is now run by a Todd Prendaghast, described as a slimeball con type, who has turned Ghostbusters into a safe family friendly sanitized company that employs handsome/attractive/model types.

Ray and Egon are on call to serve as paranormal investigators, classifiers, only and primarily work with Oscar Barrett who also seems to be stuck in the same role with the company. Oscar starts off being not so obviously Michael Cera but by the end of the film is inexplicably Michael Cera (painfully so).

Slenderman is the villain. Seriously. (well for most of the movie.)

After a series of increasing sightings/attacks from the Slenderman specter that Prendaghast refuses to acknowledge/investigate Mayor Venkman has the city take over Ghostbusters INC completely, ousts Prendaghast, and reinstates Spengler, Stantz, and Zeddemore as company heads.

They hire new recruits, Emma Stone and I'm guessing Jonah Hill though the Emma Stone/Aubrey Plaza type character is the only one that really has anything remotely funny to say. They determine that the new "Apple" like equipment, cheap lightweight white plastic, is useless against Ghosts over a certain class and retrofit the beams to be as powerful as the old packs, while getting the old packs out of storage.

Winston gets quite a bit of screen time, so that's a positive.

Dana Barrett and her husband Walt Barrett, who must've taken her name, are featured at awkward points in the script. No real purpose except to throw some drama into a later domestic spat between her and Venkman. Actually there are a bunch of really strained scenes between Venkman and other members of the script, all heavily scented with resentment, which is where I begin to think that this isn't a legit property because its very much a "you're a dick for not doing this/doing this Bill Murray" feel. It's topped off with a tearful goodbye from Oscar, Venkman's apparent Son, when he steps in at the last minute to take Zeddemore's place.

There's not much busting in the script but there's plenty of proton streams being thrown around. Zeddemore and the new busters travel to Staten Island to search out some potential History behind Slenderman and accidentally unplug a PKE well that brings forth Cthulhu (I'm sorry, "Elder God with Tentacles that Rises from Ocean").

The movie ends with a onesided firefight between The Ghostbusters (all of the Ghostbusters, even the useless ones from before Stantz, Spengler, and Zeddemore took over), the National Guard, and NYPD against Nothulhu. It becomes apparent that its not going to work as the monster trudges off towards Midtown and they decide that they're gonna have to, you guessed it, cross the streams. This is where easily the worst moment of a series of worst moments comes in-- Oscar tearfully yelling at Venkman not to abandon him again while Venkman's like sorry not sorry gotta go have fun.

The original Trio, Zeddemore bows out due to his wife and two kids, head to the roof of an apartment building in the path of the monster and put their proton packs at full load. Theres a little bit of quipping thats not that great and then boom, streams crossed, total protonic reversal, 7 blocks worth of blinding white light-- and the top of the apartment building and Nothulhu turned into rubble and goo. Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler are dead.

There's a slight time jump and things are back to sort of normal at Ghostbusters HQ. Zeddemore is the new head honcho, Pendagrhast still has a job. The movie ends with Janine walking into the break room and seeing the spectral images of Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler playing cards. Venkman looks at her says "Just don't tell the health inspector." End of movie.

Ugh.

Edit: The more I think about it the less I believe this script is legit. The Venkman as Mayor thing was done in Ghostbusters The Return, really bland novella from the mid 2000s, and the proton packs are briefly mentioned as being similar to the video game models (built in slime throwers). Aside from loose authenticating notes in its favor are some mis-identification of items (Proton traps), that might come from writers not uber familiar with everything that's come before.

Soulwrangler fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 18, 2014

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Soulwrangler posted:

Venkman is Mayor

The rest may very well be poo poo, but I'd love to see this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soulwrangler posted:

Ugh.

Edit: The more I think about it the less I believe this script is legit. The Venkman as Mayor thing was done in Ghostbusters The Return, really bland novella from the mid 2000s, and the proton packs are briefly mentioned as being similar to the video game models (built in slime throwers). Aside from loose authenticating notes in its favor are some mis-identification of items (Proton traps), that might come from writers not uber familiar with everything that's come before.

Well, Eisenberg and Stupnitsky are terrible writers, so it wouldn't be shocking to see that they lifted from other stuff.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Soulwrangler posted:

Oscar is inexplicably Michael Cera.

Slenderman is the villain.

new recruits, Emma Stone and Jonah Hill

"Apple" like equipment,

Oscar, Venkman's apparent Son, take Zeddemore's place.

Elder God with Tentacles that Rises from Ocean

cross the streams.

spectral images of Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler playing cards. Venkman looks at her says "Just don't tell the health inspector." End of movie.

Soulwrangler posted:

In short; If this is a legit draft we definitely dodged a bullet.

Soulwrangler posted:

we definitely dodged a bullet.

Soulwrangler posted:

*in slow motion* dodged a bullet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stupnitsky confirmed on Twitter earlier that that's not real. He said he wrote a few drafts, but that doesn't resemble any of them.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

Stupnitsky confirmed on Twitter earlier that that's not real. He said he wrote a few drafts, but that doesn't resemble any of them.

I don't doubt this one bit, the script has the fan fiction trademark of having no jokes, but looking at the supposed tweet the account is pretty... barebones? No tweets except for the one denying it. Then again I don't think I've posted on my twitter for two years.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Ok, I laughed so hard I near pee'd myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't believe I didn't notice this until now, but when Peter tells Ray to 'Go get her' when they're confronted with Gozer, that seems like him getting Ray back for the ridiculous library plan.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I can't believe I didn't notice this until now, but when Peter tells Ray to 'Go get her' when they're confronted with Gozer, that seems like him getting Ray back for the ridiculous library plan.

Pay attention to their faces during that dialog exchange. That's one of those things I didn't notice for maybe 2 decades.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Ok, I laughed so hard I near pee'd myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

They really duplicated young Akroyd very exactly there. Major props for getting the right hairline and keeping him thin.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jack Gladney posted:

They really duplicated young Akroyd very exactly there. Major props for getting the right hairline and keeping him thin.

Is their Zeddemore just a white dude in blackface? I honestly can't tell.

Other than that, it is obvious the video was made with love toward both properties.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Black dude. Watch the "behind the scenes" video.

I love how close it looks to the original when they get ready for the final faceoff with "the walrus and dickless the clown"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 22, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Neither of those have anything to do with history.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has some very good reference to recent history, as they joke about resurrecting the build team, who only recently got fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
The Ghostbusters are not historical figures.

Where the gently caress is Viggo the Carpathian.

• Locked thread