Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is there a way to theme the category widgets? Or a replacement? Since I don't know what they're called, here's a screenshot.

I like the functionality, but not the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is there a way (or an app) to completely turn off all notifications while still keeping the ringtone active? I have elderly parents and no landline phone, so I like to leave the ringtone on so I can be reached in case of an emergency, but I'm also a really light sleeper so I'm easily awoken by the phone vibrating on the nightstand (all my notifications are vibration-only except for text messages, which have sound).

I guess I COULD go into each and every app and turn notifications off, then turn them back on in the morning, but it would be a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm on a Moto G LTE, if it makes a difference.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

Is there a way (or an app) to completely turn off all notifications while still keeping the ringtone active? I have elderly parents and no landline phone, so I like to leave the ringtone on so I can be reached in case of an emergency, but I'm also a really light sleeper so I'm easily awoken by the phone vibrating on the nightstand (all my notifications are vibration-only except for text messages, which have sound).

I guess I COULD go into each and every app and turn notifications off, then turn them back on in the morning, but it would be a huge pain in the rear end.

Does the Moto G not have the Motorola assist app with sleep mode?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mikl posted:

It does, actually. You could likely do what you want with the Assist app.

There's a sleeping mode on there. You can set it to silence calls with two exceptions.

The first is:

Your Starred Favorites can always reach you.

The second is:

Anyone calling twice within 5 min will be able to reach you.

So, those are the built in options to help you. Beyond that, it would be possible to do something like you ask with tasker I believe.

Outside the apps, you could do what I do. I have a bluetooth cordless phone system paired to my cell. Even when the phone is on silent, an incoming call will ring the cordless system. So, that's an easy way for me to silence regular notifications but still let all calls through.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 13, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The thing I don't like about Hangouts is that it's slow and confusing to start a new conversation. Existing conversations work fine for the most part, except when they're slow. I don't know if that's an app issue or a connectivity issue, not sure how it all works.

My Google Keyboard just updated with Material Design stuff. I don't know how I feel about not knowing where the edges of my buttons are.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Before you spend a ton of time setting this up, note that Lollipop has it built in. You can put your phone in "important notifications only" mode which allows alarms through as well as calls and/or messages from specific contacts (or from everyone). It's the new silent mode, effectively.

Note sure when the Moto G LTE is getting Lollipop but it's probably not going to be a long wait based on Motorola's track record and the general speed that everyone is getting updates out this time around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FogHelmut posted:

The thing I don't like about Hangouts is that it's slow and confusing to start a new conversation. Existing conversations work fine for the most part, except when they're slow. I don't know if that's an app issue or a connectivity issue, not sure how it all works.
Definitely not slow on my N5. What exactly is difficult about starting a new conversation? You start typing a name and pick the one it finds.

FogHelmut posted:

My Google Keyboard just updated with Material Design stuff. I don't know how I feel about not knowing where the edges of my buttons are.
There's a "theme" section in the new keyboard that has 2 of the old Holo themes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tunga posted:

Before you spend a ton of time setting this up, note that Lollipop has it built in. You can put your phone in "important notifications only" mode which allows alarms through as well as calls and/or messages from specific contacts (or from everyone). It's the new silent mode, effectively.

Note sure when the Moto G LTE is getting Lollipop but it's probably not going to be a long wait based on Motorola's track record and the general speed that everyone is getting updates out this time around.

Thanks for the answers, guys :)

I'll just wait for the Lollipop update, meanwhile I'll make do with the Assist app.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Definitely not slow on my N5. What exactly is difficult about starting a new conversation? You start typing a name and pick the one it finds.

Can't speak for FogHelmut, but mine has trouble finding certain contacts.

I have a friend named Scott. When I search for his name, all that pops up is another friend who's last name is Scott. I have a relatively recent Hangout thread with Scott, so why suddenly can Hangouts not find him? Beats me. So I have to scroll all the way down to where the last conversation is with Scott to send another text to him, or scroll all the way down to his name in the contacts list.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You may not have that persons Hangout information (gmail) merged in that person's contact information. Edit: I've seen this before when the gmail you have saved for that person isn't the one they are using for Hangouts.

But yeah, that would be an issue for me too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mostly it is slow to respond, and it gives me all of these Google+ suggestions for some reason.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
They don't have gmail/Hangouts info.

Or if they do, I don't have it.

But that's not a problem for other people. My dad doesn't have a Google account, yet if I search for his name to start a new text, it comes up. It only does it for a few people.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I mean, how much can you really want to talk to someone named Scott, really?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Please can someone tell me how to make Nova Launcher hide the clock on the home screen. I cannot find the option and I am rooted.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Please can someone tell me how to make Nova Launcher hide the clock on the home screen. I cannot find the option and I am rooted.
In the status bar? I don't think an app can do that (without root). GravityBox has it I think.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

In the status bar? I don't think an app can do that (without root). GravityBox has it I think.
I've been doing it with Nova for years now. I know it was a root-only option and it had the option to hide it all the time when in the launcher or just on the default home screen. I used the latter option. It would send a superuser request to do it unless you muted the notification for Nova in your SU app.

I am positive it did this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've been doing it with Nova for years now. I know it was a root-only option and it had the option to hide it all the time when in the launcher or just on the default home screen. I used the latter option. It would send a superuser request to do it unless you muted the notification for Nova in your SU app.

I am positive it did this.
Oh, I had no idea Nova had root-required stuff in it but I haven't used it since GNL became a thing so it has probably moved on a fair bit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a reason to stop using Beautiful Widgets? I feel like I've been using it since Android began.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a reason to stop using Beautiful Widgets? I feel like I've been using it since Android began.

If you don't consider them beautiful anymore?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

It's at the bottom of the Look and Feel section

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

If you still like it, then, no?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

It's at the bottom of the Look and Feel section
It's not there for me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

It's not there for me.
Weird, this is what it looks like for me (Nova Prime 3.2 on Note 3 running 4.4.4)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Are you asking whether there's a better alternative, or are you just asking whether you should ditch the app?

If the former, you might try HD Widgets.

If the latter, none of us can really help you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

Weird, this is what it looks like for me (Nova Prime 3.2 on Note 3 running 4.4.4)

Are you on Lollipop? I think Nova's doing some kind of root detection in order to present the option and I don't think it works on 5.0.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Hey people interested in Google Play Music & YouTube Music Key, the latest Music newsletter thing cleared some poo poo up:

quote:

Starting next week, as a Google Play Music subscriber, you'll get free and complete access to the YouTube Music Key beta, a new service from YouTube where you can watch ad-free music videos, and keep the music playing in the background or when you're offline. The Google Play Music app will also include ad-free music videos alongside select tracks. Stay tuned for more information.

We'll also be able to start accessing "select" YouTube music videos from within the Music apps. I mean hell, they're all but outright telling us that Music & YouTube will merge in the future.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

grilldos posted:

Hey people interested in Google Play Music & YouTube Music Key, the latest Music newsletter thing cleared some poo poo up:

We'll also be able to start accessing "select" YouTube music videos from within the Music apps. I mean hell, they're all but outright telling us that Music & YouTube will merge in the future.

Good, because the whole idea of these two separate things existing is stupid and also it's typical Google.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Good, because the whole idea of these two separate things existing is stupid and also it's typical Google.

Which of course means it will take about three times as long to happen as it should.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I would be shocked to say the least if the two services were not completely integrated eventually.

That said, it could take a year or two for that to actually happen. If I could watch Youtube with zero ads, I would be absolutely willing to pay for that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
They still need to clear up the problem of the people paying 9.99/month for Music getting YouTube Key access when new signups to Key get both for 7.99.

Lou Takki posted:

That said, it could take a year or two for that to actually happen. If I could watch Youtube with zero ads, I would be absolutely willing to pay for that.

Your only ads-free poo poo is the official music videos, not all YouTube videos. That would be a financial math & PR nightmare for Google & the content creators.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Got my Lollipop update today. The new bootlogo is :shroom:. Also: No lock screen widgets? WTF?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kheldarn posted:

Got my Lollipop update today. The new bootlogo is :shroom:. Also: No lock screen widgets? WTF?

Android Lollipop - Suck it

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

What device? I have lollipop in my nexus 9 but am waiting for my nexus 5.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

beerinator posted:

What device? I have lollipop in my nexus 9 but am waiting for my nexus 5.

Nexus 7 (2013). I didn't expect it to show up for me so soon.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I received the Lollipop update on my N5 a few hours ago. It looks sweet and all, but now I kinda miss the Xposed modules I used to run.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a lock screen app that can use my fingerprint and a PIN? I can only figure out how to make my stock program go fingerprint and password.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Skiant posted:

I received the Lollipop update on my N5 a few hours ago. It looks sweet and all, but now I kinda miss the Xposed modules I used to run.

Eh, I think I won't be using Xposed from here on out. Lollipop is good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Eh, I think I won't be using Xposed from here on out. Lollipop is good.
I really miss having screen timeout in the notification shade but yeah, there isn't a lot to complain about.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Can someone recommend a file manager app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I dislike the new Calendar's layout for month view. I have several calendars synched to it, and in the old Calendar the events showed up in month view as coloured tabs in the corresponding day; that made it easy to plan things ("I have a work thing three Mondays from now so I'm free in the evening" or "I have a sport thing next week so I'm busy in the afternoon"). With the new Calendar there's just a circle around days which have an event, so I have to scroll to the day and check what that is, wasting time.

• Locked thread