Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

You're not going to learn anything new in 2 weeks and have it stick, "learn better footwork" takes ages unless you've got a natural aptitude for it and are young enough where bad habits haven't had a chance to stick yet.

I don't mean on this show only. I'm saying that kind of attitude will only hold her back. Maybe it's only because they're in the TUF house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Melendez said that Bec was a great boxer. What boxing experience does she have? I wasn't impressed with her stances or footwork.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Melendez almost got his face punched off by Diego Sanchez.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well he certainly looks like it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Himuro posted:

Melendez said that Bec was a great boxer. What boxing experience does she have? I wasn't impressed with her stances or footwork.

Melendez also said that Jake Shields is a good striker.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Himuro posted:

If someone can't grapple, you don't really have an option other than saying great boxer when talking them up. It's not like he could say, "She has cooler tattoos than Tecia, so she's got this in the bag."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
"I want to teach my boys that it's never OK to hurt another person".
*Tortures Tecia Torres for having the audacity for Dana White to place her in the tournament without consulting her, tortures Heather Clark for being nice to Tecia*

It's hard for me to 100% say that Bec is an awful person because victims of abuse frequently learn to cope by just passing the abuse down the line, but it definitely slipped me over to rooting for Tecia "Peach Fuzz" Torres.

Can't wait for her to piss hot in her UFC debut.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

If someone can't grapple, you don't really have an option other than saying great boxer when talking them up. It's not like he could say, "She has cooler tattoos than Tecia, so she's got this in the bag."

Bec's grappling isn't that bad. She'd be either a high blue or a low purple for a male the same weight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Bec's grappling isn't that bad. She'd be either a high blue or a low purple for a male the same weight.

The second sentence contradicts the first.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I really can't think of any male fighter in the UFC who isn't either a purple or has outgrappled someone who's a purple or higher. Mark loving Hunt has a purple belt.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I really can't think of any male fighter in the UFC who isn't either a purple or has outgrappled someone who's a purple or higher. Mark loving Hunt has a purple belt.

I thought Joe Lauzon was a blue belt for a while in his UFC career. He only got promoted to brown last year

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

I thought Joe Lauzon was a blue belt for a while in his UFC career. He only got promoted to brown last year

He submitted Gabe Ruediger, who was a black belt, in 2010. So my point stands.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

You can't judge an MMA fighter's BJJ skills based on their belt colour. Rashad Evans is a BJJ black belt, not only has he never won a fight by submission, afaik he's never even attempted one. Stick a gi on him and he'd probably get destroyed by purple-belted lightweights.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think looking at someone's submission victories is a useful way of gauging their skill in BJJ.

BJJ doesn't work, ergo,

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The women aren't on the same level yet, though. Did you see that kimura attempt near the start of the season? It was like "I don't know which my arms are supposed to go uhhh"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Yea, I follow Bec Rawlings on Facebook, cause I found her interesting at one point. She is a bitch and will never let it go. She won't learn anything, she's not focused on fighting or getting better. Her entire TUF recaps have been "they made us look like bitches but this episode actually spanned two weeks so it's all editing but I loving HATE Heather for helping someone who is fighting me why would that BITCH that I HATE help someone who isn't ME?!"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The women aren't on the same level yet, though. Did you see that kimura attempt near the start of the season? It was like "I don't know which my arms are supposed to go uhhh"

That has more to do with JoJo being Scottish than being a woman.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also I really enjoy the way that everyone is claiming that Bec being a jerk means she'll never get better at fighting, which is contrary to basically everything we've seen in mma over the last 20 years or so.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Except Bec has started bad and been bad for 3 years running. You can be a jerk but stay focused. This is not a skill that Bec Rawlings has.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Grem posted:

Except Bec has started bad and been bad for 3 years running. You can be a jerk but stay focused. This is not a skill that Bec Rawlings has.

You follow someone on Facebook that you have always found to be bad. That takes dedication.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

You follow someone on Facebook that you have always found to be bad. That takes dedication.

I thought like, I'd jump on this bandwagon way early and surely she'd get better, then I could say "I've been a fan since", but nope, always bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Also I really enjoy the way that everyone is claiming that Bec being a jerk means she'll never get better at fighting,

Nobody said that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Nobody said that.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If she worried less about sleeping arrangements maybe she could learn some better footwork.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That isn't even close to what you're claiming and wasn't a serious statement on my part.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 14, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
i watched this week's episode because last week's was funny and made me laugh with the spirituality calcified 3rd eye lady and the okay fight but this week was poo poo and the house drama is pathetic

im pretty sure TUF is the best way to make me not give a poo poo about a fighter ever

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Are there actually people in this thread rooting against Rose? Why? What kind of Johnny come lately motherfucker do you think you are, rooting against Thug Rose? I take this very personally. Somewhere Pat is ranting to a camera with mustard nearby and you are rooting against Rose. You go to hell.

Stoven
Feb 11, 2008
I'm rooting for JoJo. I wish they could both win but they can't so go Calderwood.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I think you're gonna get served.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Are there actually people in this thread rooting against Rose? Why? What kind of Johnny come lately motherfucker do you think you are, rooting against Thug Rose? I take this very personally. Somewhere Pat is ranting to a camera with mustard nearby and you are rooting against Rose. You go to hell.

I was trying to decide between Rose & Jo but seeing that Rose is one of those assholes booing Tecia, I suspect Jo just took the lead in my heart.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Plus, Rose's eyes are too far apart. She looks like prey.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Rose has the charisma to bounce back from a loss, but Jojo needs to win this whole deal to ensure that the world knows how great she is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cancel the show and just air one hour blocks of JoJo talking.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes. She's so cute and soft spoken :) Love hearing a Glaswegian accent on tv.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm in favor of Rose being champion because it means I get to see Pat Barry on TV without having to watch Pat Barry fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My favorite thing about JoJo was showing a highlight of her fights to a Scottish friend of mine who neither follows nor watches mma, and the first thing he said was "She looks like she's from Kilmarnock"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ha!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That episode was entirely loving unwatchable except for the gym bits. God drat.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with Tecia now. You look at her and she looks good physically and I don't remember her looking bad in Invicta, but in the two fights she's had on TUF she's looked pretty bad both technically and athletically. Felice is the only fighter left in the tournament I would pick her over.

Maybe she just handled living in the house poorly or had something off physically, but her stock value has dropped a lot in my eyes. I think her route to victory will be using her hilarious hair thing much like Jon Jones uses his fingers.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Obligatory vague "She must not have been able to get her usual 'supplements'" comment.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So many people from other countries this season. I imagine that makes it harder. We haven't had any awful drunken shenanigans yet either, which I thoroughly appreciate. I hope whoever loses between Rose and JoJo gets put in later as a replacement for one of the awful ladies and they fight again in the finale. No other outcome is really acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
That was an awesome staredown. I don't want to wait 3+ weeks.

• Locked thread