Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Got the red done on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Corbeau posted:

I don't think FSA is even remotely as deep as system as Infinity. That said, it seems fine for what it is. The small games I played were won and lost by tactics rather than dice.

That's good to hear, though the local gamers are all so bitter about 1st ed. they won't even look at the new stuff. It's a shame because the ships look wicked and fists full of dice are part of my optimal gaming experience too.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

We are still learning the game, but so far combat jumpers have been living dreams or cheating. We are not sure yet.

One game the kazak line infantry cheer leaders were all facing a wall, combat jumped a hellcat outside of their zone of control and spent an order per dude to shoot them in the back with a burst 3 normal roll.

Next game 4 kazak line infantry where lined up with their backs against a wall facing outwards, so the hellcat combat jumped to the corner of the building and got a face to face off with a light shotgun against one of them, and put down two teardrops to cover the entire line twice. It then spent two orders to creep up close to a vet kazak with HMG and popped out at close range to combi-rifle them. Vet kazak killed it with a flamethrower but took a wound from the combi-rifle shots.

Although I did notice that they don't appear to have fixed the dispersion rules. Pulling the distance and direction off one die means that the scatter is a spiral. A hellcat will ONLY scatter 2.5 inches in the 3 direction, 5 inches to the 4, 7.5 inches to the 5, 10 inches to the 6, 12.5 inches to the 7, 15 inches to the 8, and 17.5 to 20 inches to the 9-0. If you pick a jump target such that you think that a number of places on that spiral are places you would be OK with the hellcat landing, then you can game the dispersion roll. With an EVO repeater you can't scatter to the 1 through 6.

Seems dumb mechanically.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure Bostria mentioned at some point that in 3rd the dispersion distance will always be 16" or something like that.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

That won't really fix it either. Instead of a spiral it would be a circle.

They just need to drop the pretend elegance of determining everything off a single die roll and just make separate rolls to make it actually random instead of pretend random that isn't random. Bush league game design right up there with true line of sight.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, what the gently caress is with that. I remember that was an issue back in the beginning of the old thread and it's still going strong. 1ed - too little scatter, OP. 2ed - 250% scatter, everyone goes :psyduck: that a grenade scatters half a mile, stupid mathfinity spirals. 3ed - removing grenade deviation (also removing the argument that the weapons would be OP), making scatter a fixed distance which is stupid as gently caress, and making new templates so everyone who's got acrylic ones can buy them again :doh:

Seriously CB, if AD is so OP just make AD3 roll on PH-6 or something and fix the loving pseudorandom scatter.

Cyclomatic posted:

the kazak line infantry cheer leaders were all facing a wall, combat jumped a hellcat outside of their zone of control and spent an order per dude to shoot them in the back with a burst 3 normal roll
I'd say that it's the first expected outcome. When you get better in list building you realize there are models you actually play and the useless cheerleaders. When you get better you realize that there's a skill to putting those "useless mooks" so that they actually guard your DZ and have overlapping fields of fire. Putting 3+ unlinked LI behind one terrain piece is such a glaring weakness that I'd actually suspect a trap.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
We introduced Op:Ice to our club last night. Success! I think we must've played 15 games between us and everyone I talked to thought it was a lot of fun.

Guess I need to paint up my 150 pt CA army! Speaking of which, what should I add to get to 200 and then 250?

I have an asswang, noctifer, shrouded, malignos and two ikadrons (I'm using slave drone models because I'm cheap). I also have a skiavoros. I was thinking some daturazi or maybe just wait for the new starter.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Daturazi, Ko Dali, Dronebox, Hungrybox, take your pick.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ko Dali, paint her in YJ studio scheme, post it on the subforum and watch it implode.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Are these a new box? They look a lot better than the other set.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
In the example with the three dudes lined up and the single AD guy killing them all with a B3 normal roll, wouldn't they have all got an ARO to turn around after the first shot, then normal AROs against the second and third?

Or has N3 changed that?

I do know paratroops in Infinity are amazing. Many games in a campaign at my club a Garuda HMG popping in in an awkward place like behind snipers, behind badly placed Lieutenants and so on won the day.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Not a viking posted:

Are these a new box? They look a lot better than the other set.

I have no idea. I've never seen those before. That's... odd.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The ones on the website are actually resculpts. Those are very, very old models.

Bob Smith posted:

In the example with the three dudes lined up and the single AD guy killing them all with a B3 normal roll, wouldn't they have all got an ARO to turn around after the first shot, then normal AROs against the second and third?

Or has N3 changed that?
Which example dude? If he was splitting his burst, one shot per model then no, as the rolls are simultaneous.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Flipswitch posted:

The ones on the website are actually resculpts. Those are very, very old models.

Which example dude? If he was splitting his burst, one shot per model then no, as the rolls are simultaneous.

The original post said:

quote:

...combat jumped a hellcat outside of their zone of control and spent an order per dude to shoot them in the back with a burst 3 normal roll.

I took that to mean spending one order on each burst rather than splitting the burst.

I could be wrong though.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

The original post said:

I took that to mean spending one order on each burst rather than splitting the burst.

I could be wrong though.

If it's one order per shot, then future AROs depend on the positioning of the enemy models. If the AD troop is out of zone of control, you can only Change Facing if you're hit or you're in the Zone of Control of a model that is hit.

Hard to tell from the earlier example if that's what happened, but it's possible.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah, basically if he drops into their ZoC they can change facing to oppose his next action.

If a model is hit (eg 1st of the 3 infantry the hellcat targeted) by enemy fire, your models in his ZoC can change facing. Your mucker's just been shot in the back while standing next to you, naturally you turn around. So if the dice favoured the hellcat he could still have done such a thing, it is in no way out of the ordinary for the infinity where a good plan can roll the enemy up unless stopped by a crit. And after all the 3 line infantry are only about 30 pts to the hellcat's about 25.

As for the light shotgun thing, well, that's templates for you. In 3rd ed it looks like models will get to try and dodge those. And in the meantime, don't deploy your models in lines!

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

In the first example, it looks like it was cheating then. Spent each order to put a full burst into a single model because we thought that only the model shot at could turn.

Also, there was a vet kazak with sixth sense 2 waaaay over on the other side of the board that wasn't facing the hellcat, and we thought that since the hellcat wasn't shooting at him that SS2 didn't give him an ARO. Was that correct or incorrect?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

we thought that since the hellcat wasn't shooting at him that SS2 didn't give him an ARO
Correct. SS2 activates when you're attacked.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

If a model has Airborne Deployment 3, can the player look at the board and decide if they want to use level 3 for a combat jump, or downgrade it on the fly to level 2 and walk in from a board edge? Or does the decision to downgrade have to happen at the start of the game?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cyclomatic posted:

If a model has Airborne Deployment 3, can the player look at the board and decide if they want to use level 3 for a combat jump, or downgrade it on the fly to level 2 and walk in from a board edge? Or does the decision to downgrade have to happen at the start of the game?

You have to decide at deployment, but you are supposed to keep that a secret and not tell your opponent which until the model appears. I guess you're supposed to write it down wherever you are supposed to be writing down your classifieds and your hidden deployment models, etc.

In practice I think no one cares and you can probably decide on the fly and pretend it was always your plan and no one will call you on it.

\/\/ You don't have to choose WHICH board edge, if you have AD3, you have to decide beforehand whether you are Combat Jumping or walking on the board with AD2. Or rather, you're supposed to decide beforehand and then secretly not tell anyone.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 14, 2014

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Lvl 2 Ad lets you choose board edge on entry.

Only lvl 1 means you have to pick pregame (though often forgotten).

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Actually, where does it say you have to pick beforehand?

It says you have to pick beforehand if you want to avoid the affects of hacking airborne deployment. I'm not sure where it says you have to pick the downgrade to AD2 beforehand though (edit: in the general case of wanting to walk in instead of jump in, leaving the hacking part out of it.).

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 14, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've always seen it played that people can downgrade at any time and walk on. Choosing to downgrade at the start is just in case of hacking AFAIK.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

This is one of the things that comes up every few months but off memory for tournament play: You choose (written down) the type of AD at the start of the game because of the hacking interaction. I think it may have been an errata or ruled on on the forums a while back.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

But if you write down AD3, wouldn't they still have AD2? Only that they can be hacked and made to come in via the hacking rule before they get a chance to either jump or walk in?

I suppose it doesn't matter since N3 is over in a month or so, but being able to downgrade is waaaaaaaaaaaay better for AD3 troops, and being forced to AD3 make AD3 an arguably worse skill than AD2. AD2 is reliable while AD3 is a bit of a crap shoot that could be worth it if you see a big enough payoff on the board, but seems like junk if there isn't.

Edit: OK, it looks like this is how it works:

At the start of the game the player with AD3 troops may mark down that they will use AD2. Doing this makes hacking attempts vs airborne deployment waste the order to no effect. If there are AD3 troops that have not been pre-marked as downgrading at the beginning of the game, then even on a failed hacking attempt the player with AD3 troops has to say there is an airborne deployment aircraft present.

A troop that has a higher level of a skill may always downgrade whenever they like. There is no language anywhere in the rule or the full FAQ that I can find that not pre-marking that you will use AD2 indicates that you will use AD3, or that your ability to downgrade a skill is altered or removed in any way.

Neither rule appears to have anything to do with each other.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 14, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
New CA starter:

Awesome technically but feels very derivative and doesn't do it for me, especially in the worst color scheme ever.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What's up with the Sith Lord in the background?

Looks rad but I agree on the colour scheme, I think black and red was just too obvious.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Too transparently WE ARE SOOO EVIL~, and the black dominates everything and makes it look like advanced shading meant to showcase the sculpt as opposed to an actual paintjob.

Also, the Satyxis Syndrome on the horns. I'll have to cut them down to like 30% of the current size.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 14, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
We Crysis 2 now? Are those Tohaa?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

We Crysis 2 now? Are those Tohaa?
Yes and yes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Too transparently WE ARE SOOO EVIL~, and the black dominates everything and makes it look like advanced shading meant to showcase the sculpt as opposed to an actual paintjob.

Also, the Satyxis Syndrome on the horns. I'll have to cut them down to like 30% of the current size.
I actually kind of like the horns to be honest, I love the design but I agree on the colours. Black is one of those colours that looks great in theory but in practice drowns everything else out. Either way the models themselves are great, even if I'm a bit unsure if they're resculpts or new stuff. I know the Exrah are being removed, the EI constructs are still in right? I haven't really been following games outside of Netrunner much because of work.

Cyclomatic posted:

Neither rule appears to have anything to do with each other.
This is why N3 is important.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Infinity: Haqqislam - Ghazi Muttawi'ah Unit Box $18.00 at Miniature Market. Free shipping at $99 spent.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Yeah I was holding off ordering a Puppet Wars Unstiched box and box of Puppet Pawns that were on clearance, but that deal sealed it for me. I love those sculpts, and despite paying like $35 in postage, it's well worth it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pierzak posted:

New CA starter:

Awesome technically but feels very derivative and doesn't do it for me, especially in the worst color scheme ever.

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, I don't really like what I see - aside from the Umbra. On the other hand, that might well be because of the color scheme. Not sure whether to buy this box, thereby getting into another faction, or save that money for a Firestorm Armada fleet.

Though I called it on the Maakrep being the box's sniper.

e: Think I'm just going to try to get the two "evil Tohaa" models and skip the rest of the box. I'm sure someone out there will want to play EI.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 14, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Though I called it on the Maakrep being the box's sniper.
That's a Tohaa-made HMG.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pierzak posted:

That's a Tohaa-made HMG.

Do they normally mount huge-rear end scopes on HMGs? Seems odd.

If it's not a camo skirmisher, which seems unlikely with an HMG, then I'm betting it's an MSV troop.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

he snipes on full auto like a gangsta.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Suddenly I'm reminded of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, where almost every gun had perfect accuracy on the first shot of any burst as long as you weren't moving. With inhumanly perfect timing (read: a macro), you could turn LMGs into pinpoint accuracy cross-map death-lasers.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pierzak posted:

That's a Tohaa-made HMG.

Actually, someone from my group made an astute observation based on the dossier image:

Look at the top. That's a Tohaa Multi-Sniper, which apparently we haven't seen on a miniature before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just came here to edit my post :v: yeah, the fact that Tohaa don't have MSRs threw me off.

• Locked thread