Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
That hand gets up to all sorts of hijinx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Troy Queef posted:

Diego Maradona's girlfriend took a video of him apparently hitting her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNq19x6pcs

In that moment it was not my hand, it was god's. Also, my only regret is that it could not have struck paul scholes' - Diego Maradona

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Who wouldn't want to make the Eiffel Tower with Ched Evans or Robinho???

Actually, here is a list of top 30 footballers I would do a spitroast with:

30. Paul Scholes
29. Lionel Messi
28. Gareth Bale
27. Kewell
26. Nedved
25. Maldini
24. Aguero
23. Raul
22. Casillas
21. Cavani
20. Benzema
19. Mandzukic
18. Mario Balotelli
17. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
16. Lothar Matthaus
15. Shevchenko
14. Cantona
13. Ronaldinho
12. Ronaldo
11. Romario
10. Rivaldo
9. Robinho
8. Ramirez
7. Kaka
6. Falcao
5. Frank Ribery
4. Pirlo
3. Cahill
2. Kompany
1. ZINEDINE ZIDANE

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

the sex ghost posted:

That could be any fat drug addict with a bad haircut

*doesnt reply, eye starts twitching, looks nervously at gd*

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

the sex ghost posted:

That could be any fat drug addict with a bad haircut

That could be any what?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Byolante posted:

In that moment it was not my hand, it was god's. Also, my only regret is that it could not have struck paul scholes' - Diego Maradona

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"It was a little with the head of Maradona, and a little with the hand of Scholes."

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Former Brazilian football international Adriano has been charged with links to a drug lord in Rio de Janeiro.

Prosecutors said that Adriano gave a drug dealer a motorbike that was used in criminal activities.

The Brazilian striker had a successful career in Italy, winning titles with Inter Milan. But off-field problems and injuries cut his career short.

Adriano, 32, had been negotiating a comeback with second division French club Le Havre.

The allegations first emerged in 2010.

Brazilian police said Adriano had bought a motorbike in 2008 and registered in the name of the mother of a known drug dealer - Paulo Rogerio de Souza Paz, known as Mica.

The bike was used for drug trafficking in one of Rio's shantytowns, or favelas, then controlled by a powerful criminal gang - Comando Vermelho (Red Command).

Adriano denied at the time the allegations.

Brazilian media say they have not been able to contact Adriano, who was due to fly back to Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday night.

Prosecutors have not requested an arrest warrant against Adriano, but have asked for his passport to be seized.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

David James earned £20m in his career and has wasted everything. You can buy his chainsaw if you want.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-david-james-ended-up-with-his-memorablia-up-for-sale-9842322.html

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
From Iceland to India. He's going where the money is I think he's going to be okay :unsmith:

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

euroboy posted:

David James earned £20m in his career and has wasted everything. You can buy his chainsaw if you want.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-david-james-ended-up-with-his-memorablia-up-for-sale-9842322.html

David James in bad-at-saving shocker.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pat Mustard posted:

lol

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Pat Mustard posted:

:captainpop:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pat Mustard posted:

kwalitee

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pat Mustard posted:

lol nice

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Pat Mustard posted:

:golfclap:

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'm sure he would first blame his lovely defence (in the divorce courts)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Is it really illegal to give someone a motorbike

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Paperhouse posted:

Is it really illegal to give someone a motorbike

I gave someone a motorboat once as a surprise and the police made a huge loving deal about it so I'd imagine so.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Taxes. Sell it for a dollar.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chedwyn is back training with Sheffield United.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sassassin posted:

Chedwyn is back training with Sheffield United.

First they came for our sheep, and I did not speak out, as I was not a sheep.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/chiller/status/532134223189401600

Who will protect our players from Ched?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Ched Evans 'cannot go back to football' Carwyn Jones says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30049356

Pretty sure there are laws that say he can. Wouldn't expect an MP to know that, though. Especially with an election coming up.

All these people expecting him to apologise but he legitimately can't while trying to appeal his conviction.

The PFA posted:

"It is a fundamental part of the justice system in this country and society in general that a person serves the punishment which the court determines is appropriate and, providing that has been done, an individual is entitled to be released to continue with his or her life."

Except this isn't actually strictly true. He can't be a doctor or a teacher any more.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 14, 2014

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30049356
Except this isn't actually strictly true. He can't be a doctor or a teacher any more.
That's because a doctor or teacher has a duty of care in their profession, making a sex offender unsuitable for the role. A footballer doesn't have the same duty of care. He should be free to seek work and football clubs should just exercise their right to not hire a literal rapist to play for their team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

St Evan Echoes posted:

That's because a doctor or teacher has a duty of care in their profession, making a sex offender unsuitable for the role. A footballer doesn't have the same duty of care. He should be free to seek work and football clubs should just exercise their right to not hire a literal rapist to play for their team.

Ban him from the christmas party.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

we're talking about football clubs though, not exactly the guardians of morality. it's not like he was working in an office; football clubs have influence in the communities they are in and letting a rapist play doesn't send out a fantastic message.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pantsuit posted:

we're talking about football clubs though, not exactly the guardians of morality. it's not like he was working in an office; football clubs have influence in the communities they are in and letting a rapist play doesn't send out a fantastic message.

Denying a person the right to work after they have served the sentence for their crime isn't exactly a great message either.

It's a cornerstone of our society that prisoners can be rehabilitated and reintegrated. Mob justice baying for his blood after his release shouldn't be accepted.

Neither should we (the random people) be able to dictate what jobs are and aren't allowed for ex-convicts. When there is a genuine and direct safety risk involved there are actual written laws that apply. They don't here.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Clubs should be allowed to decide whether they should hire him, but players are the public face of a football club and that is not a suitable position for a convicted rapist IMO.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Several sponsors of Sheffield United have said they'll pull their sponsorships if the club rehires him. And the Olympic gold medalist they named a stand after in 2012 has asked them to remove her name from the stand if they rehire him.

It would be a PR nightmare if they took him back. Surely there are other strikers they can sign.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Several sponsors of Sheffield United have said they'll pull their sponsorships if the club rehires him. And the Olympic gold medalist they named a stand after in 2012 has asked them to remove her name from the stand if they rehire him.

It would be a PR nightmare if they took him back. Surely there are other strikers they can sign.

Sheffield United have actually showed no interest in giving him a contract, since he hasn't played any football in 2 and a half years and that would be retarded.

The PFA asked them to allow Ched to use their training grounds to work himself back to fitness so that he might one day find a job in his profession, as they were his last club before he was sent to prison. They agreed as it is a reasonable request, and in line with their agreements and responsibilities to the PFA.

Queue the media and sponsors going mental and trying to dictate club policy.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

vyelkin posted:

And the Olympic gold medalist they named a stand after in 2012 has asked them to remove her name from the stand if they rehire him.

what a shame that would be, literally the most small time tinpot thing I think any club has ever done, including the Bergkamp statue

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

For what it's worth it's been rumoured among "in the knowers" that the plan was always for Evans to return when he got released and he was often visited in prison by the chairman, but the reaction since his release has far exceeded what they were expecting and they're having second thoughts.

I'm on the side that we shouldn't sign him, but that would make me among the minority of Sheffield United fans from what I've seen. It's just not worth it, not only from a PR perspective but there's rumours that one or two current players have made their feelings known too. On the other hand I don't know what some of the more vocal of the anti-Evans campaigners are wanting to happen here. For him to be stopped from working ever again? He should be able to play football, just hopefully not with us.

TelekineticBear! posted:

what a shame that would be, literally the most small time tinpot thing I think any club has ever done, including the Bergkamp statue

Imagine if for the big unveiling she didn't turn up and sent her mum instead, oh wait that actually happened

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lionel Richie posted:

For him to be stopped from working ever again? He should be able to play football, just hopefully not with us.

He shouldn't be banned from playing football but if no club wants to hire him then he'll have to find some other work. Of course some club somewhere will give him a job

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Lionel Richie posted:

Imagine if for the big unveiling she didn't turn up and sent her mum instead, oh wait that actually happened

Shameful stuff, a club 125 years old naming a stand after a fan FFS

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

Denying a person the right to work after they have served the sentence for their crime isn't exactly a great message either.

It's a cornerstone of our society that prisoners can be rehabilitated and reintegrated. Mob justice baying for his blood after his release shouldn't be accepted.

Neither should we (the random people) be able to dictate what jobs are and aren't allowed for ex-convicts. When there is a genuine and direct safety risk involved there are actual written laws that apply. They don't here.

plenty of people have talents they don't make money off. i'm not arguing that he should never work again, but professional footballers have lots of power and prestige, is it really wise to give a convicted rapist access to that? not to mention the responsibility football clubs have as influential institutions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no major concerns over the power and prestige of a middling league one striker.

Marlon King has not had a significant impact on our culture that I have observed. Luke McCormick is captaining Plymouth with no major increase in drink driving offences recently (maybe we have to wait till christmas)

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

sassassin posted:

I have no major concerns over the power and prestige of a middling league one striker.

Marlon King has not had a significant impact on our culture that I have observed. Luke McCormick is captaining Plymouth with no major increase in drink driving offences recently (maybe we have to wait till christmas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD7RMd68Q4o

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lee Hughes literally killed a person and still had a career afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

sassassin posted:

Queue the media and sponsors going mental and trying to dictate club policy.

How is sponsors dictating club policy even remotely strange? They expect the club to represent them in a way that suits their business model. Getting everyone pissy at hiring a rapist does not do this.

I mean yeah Ched's a clear wanker but he's served his sentence and whether his sentence was just or not doesn't allow us to push against rehabilitation. Fans have a right to protest at what they see as a community asset being badly represented; sponsors are allowed to respond to protect their interest, and Ched has a right to train there. I don't see any of this as hypocritical.

Just a bit dumb, given that they clearly aren't going to touch him with a bargepole.