Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

UndyingShadow posted:

It loving infuriates me that they can't stop making iTunes a piece of festering poo poo. I'm having to restore my iPad because of 30 gig of other space because, guess what, its sync process poo poo itself, like it does every time.

Am I the only one that still syncs media on their devices? Is Android any better?

I certainly think it's becoming very uncommon to sync a lot of music. Between iTunes Match and all the on demand services like Spotify, the need just isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

smackfu posted:

I certainly think it's becoming very uncommon to sync a lot of music. Between iTunes Match and all the on demand services like Spotify, the need just isn't there.
It's still breaking existing functionality that a lot of people still use.

UndyingShadow, I noticed that after a (well, more like 5 or 6) flatten/reinstore that switching my iPhone to syncing over wifi seemed to be more reliable, despite it always being totally broken in the past. I finally got all my music on there and I'm terrified of switching back to USB syncing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I would imagine a LOT of people still sync music. Think about your average teenager or old person who buys music on iTunes but doesn't pay for match. I have a ton of music in my iTunes library and syncing is more often than not a pain in the dick for me. You would think that the world's leading music purchasing platform could get music sync right over the other guys.

I have a serious love/hate relationship with my iPhone. Siri is some really depressing god awful poo poo. I experimented a little with using hands free controls earlier and once again it only picks up on me saying "hey siri" about half the time. It misunderstands common words that I'm trying to text to friends. It has no loving idea what I mean when I ask for Foxcatcher show times so instead it gives me a huge list of arbitrary movies including Gone With The Wind and Sideways... what??

On top of that app switching still feels janky and not as quick as it should be. Sometimes double tapping the home button only registers like 7 seconds after I actually do it, but then I've double tapped a second time and everything needs to catch up. Turning my phone in landscape resulted in my keyboard going sideways but my text thread stayed vertical. poo poo like this has me eyeballing a Nexus 6 hard.

But every time I do something like use Apple Pay (as trite as that is) or even just walk into an Apple Store I'm reminded at why I mostly put up with some disappointing experiences. Overall it's not so bad and probably better than what I would have to deal with using something else.

/rant

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I haven't synced my phone to my PC since I got iTunes Match, even though I still download actual albums and only listen to stuff I've got stored locally. Despite some early hiccups, it's turned out to be worth the paltry $25 a year just to avoid having to sync music through iTunes.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I rarely buy music on iTunes and rip all CDs I buy because I'm old. I have like 130 gbs of music and I have never had any issues synching. I let iTunes manage everything and I use a Mac. I guess I'm just lucky the other bug has never struck me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Think about your average teenager or old person who buys music on iTunes but doesn't pay for match.

Old people, maybe. Teenagers buying music? Ha.

Beyond that, I'd be surprised if the majority of people with iPhones nowaday have *ever* synced them to a computer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Suqit posted:

I rarely buy music on iTunes and rip all CDs I buy because I'm old. I have like 130 gbs of music and I have never had any issues synching. I let iTunes manage everything and I use a Mac. I guess I'm just lucky the other bug has never struck me.
I think the Mac is the main thing. I'm guessing most people with iTunes problems (myself included) are using Windows. iTunes for Windows has traditionally been pretty bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use iTunes regularly on both platforms and sync an iPhone to it all the time.. it's always worked fine for me.

Anecdotes are data!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have been using iTunes to sync my phone since the first iPhone on windows and other than ridiculous "other" sizes I've never once had a problem. Obviously tons of people have and I just figure I'm really lucky I guess.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

smackfu posted:

Beyond that, I'd be surprised if the majority of people with iPhones nowaday have *ever* synced them to a computer.

Okay you're right. Teenagers don't buy music*, but when you pirate music you need to sync it to your phone somehow, don't you? Isn't iTunes the only way if you're on an iPhone?

*I mean, some of them have to, though. How else are iTunes sales for contemporary pop junk artists so high? I doubt the majority of people purchasing Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Nicki Minaj on iTunes are adults. I don't know exactly how reliable these charts are but the top 5 should indicate the demographic.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 14, 2014

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Okay you're right. Teenagers don't buy music*, but when you pirate music you need to sync it to your phone somehow, don't you? Isn't iTunes the only way if you're on an iPhone?

The app Media Monkey works perfectly to copy music over to an iPhone and has many options to organize mp3s, download missing artwork etc before syncing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

smackfu posted:

Teens are actually the ones that are most likely to purchase music (digitally, with mommy and daddy's credit card, of course). That's why Taylor Swift removed her library from Spotify, to encourage that crowd to buy a copy. Seemed to work, too.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Bottom Liner posted:

Teens are actually the ones that are most likely to purchase music (digitally, with mommy and daddy's credit card, of course). That's why Taylor Swift removed her library from Spotify, to encourage that crowd to buy a copy. Seemed to work, too.

Pretty sure her latest album rocketed up the most downloaded section on the pirate bay after that stunt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It also set record sales numbers, so that "stunt" earned her label a shitload of money;

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6296916/taylor-swift-1989-sales-1-million

quote:

Plus: 1989 will be the first album released in 2014 to sell a million copies. That would make 1989 just the 19th album to sell a million in a single week since Nielsen SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991, and Swift the first act to earn three million-selling weeks. Sources say 1989 is performing extraordinarily well in the iTunes Store and Target, with the latter carrying an exclusive version of the album with bonus tracks.

Just because it was heavily pirated doesn't mean a lot of people didn't buy it as well. It was popular in all methods of acquisition. It's much easier for teen girls to buy on itunes than figure out torrents.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

Given the iTunes Top 10, it appears "teens" are the main buyers of music.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

iTunes, in my experience, tends to poo poo the bed when syncing large amounts of music.

1 - 5 albums? No problem.

10+ GB? welcome to never ending "waiting for changes to be applied", huge "other" data, sync screw ups and more.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I have over 7000 songs in my itunes play list, so I always have a fun time when upgrading to a new phone. Most of the time I can get it to work!. Too bad Itunes Genius doesn't work worth poo poo either.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

My original point, way back when, was that people are using services like Spotify rather than buying it on iTunes, so they don't need to sync to iTunes. If Taylor Swift has to pull her music from Spotify to force people to buy it on iTunes, I think that makes my point that Spotify is quite popular.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 14, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

smackfu posted:

My original point, way back when, was that people are using services like Spotify rather than buying it on iTunes, so they don't need to sync to iTunes. If Taylor Swift has to pull her music from Spotify to force people to buy it on iTunes, I think that makes my point that Spotify is quite popular.

Yes, that is correct, but my posts were in reference to the guys saying that teens don't pay for music and just torrent it instead. Teens are the most likely to pay for music either via subscription services or direct purchases. People who pirate music and movies also spend more than those that don't, according to a lot of research.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So... When I plug my 6 Plus into my MBP iTunes no longer recognizes it. The phone will ask me if I want to "trust this computer" every single time, but it doesn't show up in iTunes no matter what. This is really weird, since it synced fine until a couple of days ago when this suddenly started happening. What could be the issue? I'm on iOS 8.1 / OS X 10.9.5 / iTunes 12.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Regarding the contacts talk, MCBackup may do the job. You can export to VCard and backup and restore via email.
I've used it numerous times and it's worked well for me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the easiest way to export voicemails from an iPhone? I have Sprint, so pretty sure I have visual voicemail.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

movax posted:

What's the easiest way to export voicemails from an iPhone? I have Sprint, so pretty sure I have visual voicemail.
iExplorer? Pretty sure the free version can do voicemails.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I've been having some problems with my iPhone 5 freezing during normal tasks, particularly in Safari and Chrome. As an example, I'll be trying to access a website and it will "freeze" for 5-10 seconds, then unfreeze and work normally. I don't mean the website won't load, I mean the entire app will lock up, can't press any buttons, etc. Sometimes I have to manually quit safari to get it to work again. It tends to happen more when I have several tabs open. It's only just recently begun happening to me. I'm not sure whether it's the 2+ year old hardware or software at this point. I'm suspecting its the RAM, since it happens more when I'm using multiple tabs, but I can't exactly solve that with new hardware until next year.

Has this been happening to anyone else?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, my 5 has been running just fine.

I don't tend to collect a lot of tabs though.. maybe 5 tops.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bottom Liner posted:

Teens are actually the ones that are most likely to purchase music (digitally, with mommy and daddy's credit card, of course).

This, with emphasis on the mommy and daddy's credit card bit. And the shittons of iTunes gift cards they get on holidays/birthdays from extended family that has no clue what else to get a kid these days. I imagine this changes in college, though.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

xzzy posted:

Nope, my 5 has been running just fine.

I don't tend to collect a lot of tabs though.. maybe 5 tops.

Yeah see I'm talking like 2-3 tabs max. It's definitely not normal. I restored this iPhone maybe 3-4 months ago, but maybe I should start fresh again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My 6+ used to have super impressive 2-day battery.

Lately it's been barely making it 1 day before 20% or lower.

I suspected the jailbreak but it's looking not-likely. I even wondered about 8.1.

My battery usage indicates the 2 biggest drains in the last 24 hours (of which I feel my usage has been mild ) are Paper (facebook) and Awful app. (25% and 21% respectively.)

I do use Awful a lot, but I don't feel like I have THAT much lately. And I barely used Paper in the last couple days.

Are these apps just causing poo poo for anyone else?

[edit] Paper has gone up SIX percent since I posted this 10 min ago. In that time all I did was open it twice to read s response and post a quick reply.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 14, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Facebook apps have always been notorious for chewing through battery, even in the background with it's always-on location services.

Go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services and change Facebook from "always" to "while using the app" if it already isn't.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don't use Paper, but anything made by Facebook will have a reputation for being an unnecessary battery hog and tracking location poo poo that it doesn't need to track.

edit: ^^^ yeah what he said

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently Facebook uses constant background location tracking as a trick to allow the app itself to do more background update stuff than would usually be allowed. So yeah, turn that off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have it (and always have) set to "only when app is used."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wasn't it reported awhile ago that they still do background poo poo even without the option ticked?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Wasn't it reported awhile ago that they still do background poo poo even without the option ticked?

Probably, but they have to do it within the limits set by Apple like every other app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
20% at 7:50pm in a light usage day in my 6+.

Gonna restore.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

Gonna restore.

I didn't see it mentioned in either thread so I'll ask: how is your reception? Guessing it hasn't changed recently.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Feenix posted:

Gonna restore.

My usage has been pretty random, I've had days where I've ended the day at 80%, I've had days where I've ended the day at 15%

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

spongeworthy posted:

I didn't see it mentioned in either thread so I'll ask: how is your reception? Guessing it hasn't changed recently.

Reception's fine. I spend all my time at home.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

My 6 hasn't given me a single battery warning yet, and I'm on it a bunch during the day. Usually my 5 would be about 15% at bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
You say you doubt it's the jailbreak but that is glaringly the most obvious culprit.

edit: sorry, for clarity that was directed at Feenix.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 15, 2014