Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I didn't know they made Guacamelee: Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Swery: World's Cutest Developer.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

They need to catch swery at e3 and get him on a video or podcast or something. He'd probably go for it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006

I think you're being a little harsh on the adventure games to rank heroes so far above them. That was the first game where my stupid childbrain noticed something was wrong.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Lost World
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic 2006

This is a pretty legit list, only I'd edge Generations on top only because the PC port is so drat good (ran perfect 60fps for me on my system I built in early 2012). Unleashed dropped below 2006 for me only because of the Werehog levels being 35-40+ minutes long and the atrocious sun/moon coin gating bullshit that made the game 2x as longer and frustrating than it should have been. If you remove that and only focus on the daytime stuff I'd rank it right below Colors. And wow you seem to be the only other person on earth besides me who thinks Heroes gets too much poo poo than it deserves compared to other 3d sanic games.

While we're on this topic, lmbo at SEGA passing on publishing Bayonetta 2 (cut to that graphic with all the 10/10 scores) and Sonic Boom being such a bomb they didn't even send review copies :laugh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sonic Boom probably sold more than Bayonetta 2, though.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dang, these early Evil Within videos are gonna be painful to watch.

I wanna know what idiot started the rumor that Crimsonheads are in that game. There is absolutely nothing like that in TEW, but everybody who plays the game goes in believing there is. There are guys on the ground pretending to be dead who'll get back up (like the dudes near that gate crank), but if you kill a guy, he's dead.

Also, even maxed out, Melee is not worth spending gel on. You will never do real damage with it. Better to just shoot a dude's legs to make him fall, then burn him with a match. I know they have a ton of episodes recorded, since I know these were used to make the TBFP ep, so I'll just have to wait a few episodes and hope they don't blow their currency. Stock is the best thing to upgrade, since leaving ammo behind sucks. Plus, when it's maxed, you can carry 50 handgun bullets, which is pretty great!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
When you're playing a game that is trying to be Resident Evil as hard as it can, and it hands you a limited source of fire and tells you to burn bodies with it, thinking there's some kind of Crimson Head mechanic is an easy conclusion to come to.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm just gonna outright say that I think Evil Within is pretty bad(not in the charming or interesting way either) and that this whole series is gonna be painful really. Maybe that's just skewed personal opinion though. I kinda like the gameplay(although stealth is a total crapshoot) but the rest doesn't gel with me.

HGH fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 14, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Weird to hear Woolie keep pushing the "Korra is God Hand 2" narrative when it's just more likely that people don't think the game is very good!

Like personally I think it does combat well for two hours and that's it. That's all. The rest of the game beyond the core mechanics ranges from not great to pretty bad.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 14, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korra is God Hand 2 in that God Hand is honestly a very messy game with a good core to it. It tows the line between being a terrible game and a good game dangerously closely, but I would still sooner say God Hand is fun than Korra where I wasn't having any fun until the last hour of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

God Hand had good music and actual villains and characters, Korra is literally like less than 10 people that have dialogue.

I'm super enjoying Evil Within because survival horror is their best stuff, personally.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
God hand was weird in all the right ways and the gameplay was perfect, it's at least 2.5 points better than ~Imagine party babyz~

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I thought Woolie meant God Hand 2 more in the sense of IGN giving this "hard" character action game review to someone that's really bad at character action games.

I tried The Evil Within's demo and I didn't like it one bit. It had confusing map layouts, the FOV for shooting was way too small, the fire mechanic wasn't amazingly well-explained, so on and so forth. I guess it just hit every thing I'm bad at or can't stand in these types of games. I'll give it one thing tho, it does lighting and atmosphere very well.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Since Pat's PC version kept crashing on him near part 6 of Evil Within, he had to re-do the entire game up until that point on PS4. So he leveled up his stuff better, and got tons of gel. He pumped a bit into melee, but mostly leveled up his stock and weapon stats. Near parts 5 and 6 of the LP, we both start getting into the game alot more, and I was really digging the more supernatural dimension stuff and the first boss fight, but then the game decided to throw us into an annoying sequence with the sniper rifle and a bunch of assholes shooting arrows from a tower.

While I'm definitely liking it more than when I started, it's a game that constantly goes up and down.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I played some hours of Evil Within and really enjoyed it, but it was on the PS4 and now that the PC has the option to remove the bars I feel like I should get that version when it's on sale.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I played some hours of Evil Within and really enjoyed it, but it was on the PS4 and now that the PC has the option to remove the bars I feel like I should get that version when it's on sale.

Make sure that your machine can handle it, mine is decently beefy and it plays awfully.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

TheRealestMatt posted:

Since Pat's PC version kept crashing on him near part 6 of Evil Within, he had to re-do the entire game up until that point on PS4. So he leveled up his stuff better, and got tons of gel. He pumped a bit into melee, but mostly leveled up his stock and weapon stats. Near parts 5 and 6 of the LP, we both start getting into the game alot more, and I was really digging the more supernatural dimension stuff and the first boss fight, but then the game decided to throw us into an annoying sequence with the sniper rifle and a bunch of assholes shooting arrows from a tower.

While I'm definitely liking it more than when I started, it's a game that constantly goes up and down.
I really like the combat in that game and it has some chapters that definitely stand out from the others, like chapter 9 which is proper spooky.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

Make sure that your machine can handle it, mine is decently beefy and it plays awfully.

That too. The game ain't amazingly optimized for how good it looks.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Yeah, as someone that gave up on the demo, I can't really say it's a bad game - really, it's just not my type of game. But it did feel uneven throughout three chapters, so I can't imagine how that translates for the full game. gently caress the shooting FOV tho.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Pat's spent thousands of dollars on his PC, and the game became unplayable for him for no real reason. If you're gonna get the PC version, make sure there's a patch that fixes "RANDOM CRASHES"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I haven't played Evil Within, but it uses an Id Tech engine so it probably crumbles into dust and/or turns into a pumpkin after midnight if you have an ATI card.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hm, if that's the case it may just be a better idea to keep playing it on PS4 since I already own it and my computer, while powerful, might not be up to the task.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

Pat's spent thousands of dollars on his PC, and the game became unplayable for him for no real reason. If you're gonna get the PC version, make sure there's a patch that fixes "RANDOM CRASHES"

Please be exaggerating.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have a feeling that Pat isn't very good at troubleshooting when he has crashes/other problems in PC games.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

RareAcumen posted:

Please be exaggerating.

Making a PC powerful enough RAM and processor wise to both render high quality footage and a graphics card that can run the absolute highest graphics in gaming will run you quite a lot of money. easily 4,000 dollars or more.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Al-Saqr posted:

Making a PC powerful enough RAM and processor wise to both render high quality footage and a graphics card that can run the absolute highest graphics in gaming will run you quite a lot of money. easily 4,000 dollars or more.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Pat has a haswell i7 and well now a geforce 970 he bought to replace what he already had. Also pc stuff costs more in canada.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

My box runs Wolfenstein:TNO at a solid 1080p60fps and it ran me less than half that sum. In Australian dollars.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The Kins posted:

My box runs Wolfenstein:TNO at a solid 1080p60fps and it ran me less than half that sum. In Australian dollars.

yes but put your box through heavy video editing and rendering and it will eat poo poo real quick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

yes but put your box through heavy video editing and rendering and it will eat poo poo real quick.
Rendering is typically okay for just cutting clips together, but After Effects stuff really makes me wish I sprang for an i7 CPU instead of an i5.

Though to be fair, I'm also not putting out 30+ minutes of Youtube video drat close to every day of the year. :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

havenwaters posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Pat has a haswell i7 and well now a geforce 970 he bought to replace what he already had. Also pc stuff costs more in canada.

A whole lot more. Like, it's really ridiculous

Plus if you factor in your costs over the lifetime of the PC it balloons quite a bit.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 14, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean, I'm not putting up half hour youtube videos every day or anything, but I spent 900 dollars on mine quite some time ago and I haven't met a game I can't play at the highest quality with a stable framerate that wasn't the game's fault. 4000 is a pretty high estimate even for a pc used on the side for intense video rendering. Then again, I am an American and so PC parts are probably less expensive for me than others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I mean, I'm not putting up half hour youtube videos every day or anything, but I spent 900 dollars on mine quite some time ago and I haven't met a game I can't play at the highest quality with a stable framerate that wasn't the game's fault. 4000 is a pretty high estimate even for a pc used on the side for intense video rendering. Then again, I am an American and so PC parts are probably less expensive for me than others.

Well, going with the Haswell i7 + 970, that's already something like $700 minimum in Canada, if the site I checked isn't lying. Plus, there's the issue of needing a BUNCH of storage space if you work with video editing - hours of 1080p footage fill up hardware pretty fast. Also, it's Pat. Pat is definitely the guy that would go super-overkill on his PC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Are any of you recording gameplay though? Recording at the highest quality while also being on the highest quality is incredibly taxing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. There's no doubt that I've reduced the life of my computer by recording and rendering and editing videos on it as well as playing games at super high quality, but by the time its lifespan is over I will a) have the money to replace it because I'm an adult with a job and b) have a selection of new parts available that weren't around when I first built the thing. Computers last a hell of a long time even if you do strenuous stuff on them. :shrug:

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Matt, I know this is selfish to ask. but, since the site has gone up, do you guys have a big "BREAK THE INTERNET" type of super best friends ~thing in the works?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

From what I've gleamed from computer-savvy ladies and gents, at the worst, $700 should be enough to guarantee you have a PC powerful enough to last you six years without factoring in needing to replace parts that burn out or what have you. That's just for playing video games though. I don't know anything about video editing aside from don't use Youtube's video stabilization on video game footage and my knowledge of rendering is shoddier.

If that's a sane amount of money to make a strong enough computer to do both then okay then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watched the Sunset Overdrive video and man I have no idea what to feel other then "kind of lovely zombie land"

I love the art style and the colors really popped. Agreeing with the words popping up like they showed being a cool stylistic thing if done right but every bit of gameplay just looked super slow and dull. Bouncing off cars and stuff like super Mario didn't animate well and just kinda eech. Also it felt like a bunch of low hanging fruit jokes one after another that by the time the character went "boy this sure is a video game huh guys?" with a playful wink I just groaned.

Maybe it's better in person but it felt like all style and no substance

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

From what I've gleamed from computer-savvy ladies and gents, at the worst, $700 should be enough to guarantee you have a PC powerful enough to last you six years without factoring in needing to replace parts that burn out or what have you. That's just for playing video games though. I don't know anything about video editing aside from don't use Youtube's video stabilization on video game footage and my knowledge of rendering is shoddier.

If that's a sane amount of money to make a strong enough computer to do both then okay then.

Yeah. I built a pretty high end rig - 8 gigs of ram, i7 processor, GeForce 780, 240 gigs SSD and TB HDD - for about 1500. I can definitely see how I could add on another 500 to a grand with a bit more ram, the latest processor and GeForce card, maybe add another 500 or so if I wanted a high-end monitor with it, but unless the canadian dollar just eats total poo poo, a $4000 dollar computer seems like it's probably overspending SOMEWHERE...

Hey Matt, tell Pat to suck it up, get on SA and hit SH/SC next time he needs to build a rig. Might save him a grand on the next one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

the canadian dollar just eats total poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

TheRealestMatt posted:

I know it's not a 100% run or anything but I facepalm every time you pass up the toilet gel in the upgrade hub in your room.