Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Holding a baby in a moving vehicle is not particularly safe, hence child seats and so on for cars. I think not wanting to take a child out of a pram/buggy can go beyond laziness or entitlement, and actually be a safety concern. Although seatbelts aren't mandatory on buses either so I guess just gently caress poors who use public transport?

Of course, all this gets in the way of yet another argument over who is being hosed over the hardest and why it should be [group-I'm-not-in] instead of me.

Fatality and injury rates on buses are ridiculously lower than any other form of road transport - a combination of lower speeds, higher visibility of the vehicle, higher training of the driver, and if it comes (literally) to the crunch the much higher mass of the bus compared to most things it's likely to crash into means that a bus is pretty much the safest form of transport you're ever likely to take.

Also having seatbelts on a vehicle where as many as 50% of passengers don't have seats might be seen as a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

more like being turned away from a bus that isn't quite full, but someone's keeping their shopping bags on a seat and refusing to give up the space for you

This is assuming the pushchair folds and that there is a safe place to put it. That is not always true.

If it doesn't or can't be folded, what do you suggest as the solution?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

This is assuming the pushchair folds and that there is a safe place to put it. That is not always true.

If it doesn't or can't be folded, what do you suggest as the solution?

i refer you to my previous post

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Most people these days buy 'travel systems' that have a collapsible chassis along with a pushchair that can collapse with it, but also a 'carry cot' that fits on the top for when the baby is very young. These don't collapse and are quite large - they're not the sort of thing you could carry on your knee.

Without knowing more details I'd be wary of judging her for not removing her pushchair/pram as she may have had no option but to block the aisle or leave the bus.

Additionally, the mother may have been given the pushchair second hand so it may not have been her choice which one she uses.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 14, 2014

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

i refer you to my previous post

Why not just state your opinion unambiguously? I assume you mean that people with pushchairs should always have to leave the bus if someone with a wheelchair wishes to get on.

To which I refer you to the questions in my original post. Would you not have a problem with (for example) leaving a mother and young child at a random bus stop after they have already paid their fare? Even after dark? If they were unfamiliar with the area and no other buses were coming?

Granted that is a worst case scenario, but it is one with the potential to happen if a ruling was made indicating wheelchair users always have priority regardless of circumstances.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If you're assessing need surely the reason for travel is also a factor? Should a disabled person taking a trip to the cinema take priority over a parent taking a baby to the hospital?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Make it so bus companies have to arrange alternate transport (I.e. Taxi) for those requiring special access if there's insufficient room. Costly and a logistical nightmare, which would ensure busses are adequately prepared.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
clearly the solution is to outlaw pushchairs and make papooses mandatory

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I like the way you think, but we should go for compulsory wheelchairs for all.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
outlaw children???

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Give disabled people a grant so they can afford to buy a car adapted to their needs.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Give disabled people a grant so they can afford to buy a car adapted to their needs.

Nah, a lot of people shouldn't be driving as it's dangerous.

Give them money to hire 24 hour drivers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Have IDS clear them "Fit to Walk" and chastise them for using the Disabled Area.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
The reason there's a space is because of, and for, disabled people.

It's not called a Pram Space.

Add to the fact that there are options for Parents with children. Different options in transportation of them and their child. Different prams. Folding prams, Baby carrying or even being held in arms. They have options.

Disabled people rarely have options.

So the attitude of "I was here first" or "FYGM" is loathsome.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

we do but it's just not very well known
this post as case in point.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Shelf Adventure posted:

I like the way you think, but we should go for compulsory wheelchairs for all.

To expand on this, what about a bus for each passenger? That way everyone gets their own space and doesn't need to worry about others taking it.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Mothers vs Disabled. Or how about bus companies provide a service that isn't shockingly unreliable and filled to the brim. So that there's more space for mothers and the disabled and if the disabled spot is filled, you don't have to wait half an hour for the next bus.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

Why not just state your opinion unambiguously?

i couldn't be bothered copying & pasting
but here you go

Cerv posted:

If you buy a pram that's designed to not collapse that's your own stupid fault. It's not even a price thing.

"I chose this faulty product, but somehow that's everyone else's problem not mine"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

i couldn't be bothered copying & pasting
but here you go

So, bar non-folding prams from buses entirely?

StoicFnord posted:

The reason there's a space is because of, and for, disabled people.

It's not called a Pram Space.

Add to the fact that there are options for Parents with children. Different options in transportation of them and their child. Different prams. Folding prams, Baby carrying or even being held in arms. They have options.

Disabled people rarely have options.

So the attitude of "I was here first" or "FYGM" is loathsome.

These options are spoken like someone who has never had to deal with a young child. Carrying a baby in your arms is not really conducive to going out shopping. Even folding prams take up a lot of space on the bus, and their options when buying may have been limited. Different transportation costs more. I am sympathetic to the needs of wheelchair users but there is a difference between making buses accessible and guaranteeing a space will always be available even during busy times.

Not to mention the signage on lots of buses is ambiguous. If a space says 'may be used for buggies when not required by a wheelchair user' does that mean you will be thrown off if it suddenly is required? In which case refer to the questions I posed above.

jabby fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 14, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

JoylessJester posted:

Mothers vs Disabled. Or how about bus companies provide a service that isn't shockingly unreliable and filled to the brim. So that there's more space for mothers and the disabled and if the disabled spot is filled, you don't have to wait half an hour for the next bus.

Buses should be free at the point of use.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Being disabled and having to use a bus regularly is worse than some petty forum argument between able bodied people. 9 times out of 10 people occupy these seats and spaces and refuse to move when asked politely and it regularly results in verbal abuse from them and sometimes physical too. It's not just my area either, it's basically the UK as a whole as I've spoken to quite a lot of disabled people about this and the same happens to them too. Nothing quite beats having your sticks kicked away from you and collapsing on the floor in agony while everyone else on the bus either glares at you or just looks out the window just for asking if you could sit in the disabled seat as you can't stand. It should not be a part of a disabled persons life but it seems like able bodied people don't give a poo poo and think it's somehow our purpose in life to inconvenience people. I'm sick of it. It's bad enough to be demonised by the government, being treated as if we're the lowest of the low by the public hurts even more.

But hey, I'm just a disabled person, what would I know about disabled seats and spaces on buses?

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
Obviously the wheelchair user should always have priority, but I think the bus company should refund the mother in some way and if it is in some nightmare scenario pay for a taxi. From my own experience on buses I would outright ban any pram that doesn't collapse and possibly look to incentivise mothers to use the bus off-peak. Also bus companies should look into building soundproof isolation chambers specifically for prams instead of the ad-hoc solution that leaves drivers in an incredibly uncomfortable position.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Buses should be free at the point of use.

Yep. Free public transport would be awesome.

Newer Edinburgh buses often have both a wheelchair space and a pushchair space, but even so, they have clearly displayed rules on the matter. Wheelchair users get priority. Any additional pushchairs should be folded. If they can't be folded or the person with the pushchair prefers, they can leave the bus and catch another one with a special ticket that they get from the driver. Never seen any sort of issue with that, and I think it's fair to all.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I think this is a complicated issue and both sides have very valid points and you guys are going to argue in circles forever.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

How does this work? We need to have more children but everyone else needs to have less?
The way it works is by people making deliberately provocative posts on the internet so they can enjoy the outrage they generate

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Acaila posted:

Yep. Free public transport would be awesome.

Newer Edinburgh buses often have both a wheelchair space and a pushchair space, but even so, they have clearly displayed rules on the matter. Wheelchair users get priority. Any additional pushchairs should be folded. If they can't be folded or the person with the pushchair prefers, they can leave the bus and catch another one with a special ticket that they get from the driver. Never seen any sort of issue with that, and I think it's fair to all.

You should join the SSP, the only party that supports nationalised free public transport.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
TfL figured it out years ago

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Don't most buses have that exact notice in their wheelchair areas?

I do notice that it doesnt specifically say that a wheelchair user has priority if there is already a buggy in the space.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's not a baby buggy, that's for a small child. Looks like TfL haben't figured it out at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

namesake posted:

Don't most buses have that exact notice in their wheelchair areas?

I do notice that it doesnt specifically say that a wheelchair user has priority if there is already a buggy in the space.

It says "Buggies can use this area if not needed by a wheelchair user" that sounds like priority to me.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

To which I refer you to the questions in my original post. Would you not have a problem with (for example) leaving a mother and young child at a random bus stop after they have already paid their fare? Even after dark? If they were unfamiliar with the area and no other buses were coming?
If the mother keeps her space on the bus, the wheelchair user is left abandoned in the situation you describe. Both options suck, but it seems like it'd be more manageable for an able bodied woman with a baby than for a wheelchair user.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

If the mother keeps her space on the bus, the wheelchair user is left abandoned in the situation you describe. Both options suck, but it seems like it'd be more manageable for an able bodied woman with a baby than for a wheelchair user.

Forgetting the relative merits of which passenger is more deserving for a moment: there's a difference between kicking somebody off a bus mid-journey and not allowing somebody to embark at all.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
What if the baby was disabled? What then??

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

Forgetting the relative merits of which passenger is more deserving for a moment: there's a difference between kicking somebody off a bus mid-journey and not allowing somebody to embark at all.

That's true, and it would certainly be more upsetting to be kicked off mid-journey than to simply be denied access in the first place. However, it seems pretty clear that the disabled person's need is greater and that insofar as anybody's to blame for the conflict, it's the mother - she's the one who's opted to occupy a space set aside for disabled travellers and failed to avail herself of options such as a baby sling or collapsible pushchair that would have made it possible to avoid the problem.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Again, I would caution against assuming that every mother - especially one dependent on the bus for getting around - is able to afford alternative means of transporting her child.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shelf Adventure posted:

What if the baby was disabled? What then??

throw it under the wheels of the bus

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

What the hell is this? I really hope to god there is no truth to these allegations...

Yeah... don't be too surprised if there is though, because we're talking about some very dark corners here

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, more news of the "people are wrong about everything" variety:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e05843de-6423-11e4-bac8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3J2ZEIop3

Wish they'd also run similar polls in swing constituencies - it'd be interesting to see if the places that matter to politicians have much of a different view, or if the whole thing is basically 'gently caress you all we'll do what we want'. Good thing we have a real opposition party right guys!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Whys the Mayor of London traveling around America to pimp his book on Churchill?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whys the Mayor of London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whys the Mayor of London traveling around America to pimp his book on Churchill?

to sell more copies?

• Locked thread