Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope that Ched Evans gets a job with a club and becomes a productive member of society. The practice of making felons unemployable pariahs is dumb and just encourages recidivism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Reminder: It's not just because he's a convicted rapist, it's because he still denies guilt or accepts responsibility.

The done his time crew might have a better argument if he wasn't claiming infidelity was all he did wrong.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'm pretty sure Evans could get a job outside of the UK. A job as a footballer that is.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
hes not a felon who has done his time hes a rapist who has done his time and those two are completely different things

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Ched Evans is going to play in the NFL

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Charlotte Hornets posted:

I'm pretty sure Evans could get a job outside of the UK. A job as a footballer that is.

He's going to go play in the ISL and take the bus to training and matches.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Adnar posted:

Reminder: It's not just because he's a convicted rapist, it's because he still denies guilt or accepts responsibility.

The done his time crew might have a better argument if he wasn't claiming infidelity was all he did wrong.

He is still appealing against his conviction. This is a valid thing that all convicted criminals are allowed to do.

Slaapaav posted:

hes not a felon who has done his time hes a rapist who has done his time and those two are completely different things

True. As such he is on the sexual offenders registry for life and by law can't work in schools and hospitals.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Slaapaav posted:

They literally aren't, though. Rape is a felony and he is felon.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

He can always play in India.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't think he is a felon as UK law doesn't use the term afaik.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

He is still appealing against his conviction. This is a valid thing that all convicted criminals are allowed to do.

No it's not, he's been denied leave to appeal

Anyway, relevant links are:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/22/ched-evans-act-of-infidelity-rape-conviction-video-statement
For stuff that happened recently (no real further progress has been made aside from the current people-withdrawing-support stuff)

and

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans
For the original conviction

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No it's not, he's been denied leave to appeal

I stand corrected.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
If he'd come out of prison full of remorse and apologies, this wouldn't even be news anymore. The fact he's still denying guilt and thinks that what he did was fuckin awesome means nobody in their right mind will employ him as a professional footballer.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

blue footed boobie posted:

They literally aren't, though. Rape is a felony and he is felon.

im not from a english speaking country (everyone in norway speaks or understands english to some degree) so i have a tendency use a mishmash of american and british type words. according to wikipedia the word has roughly the same meaning as "criminal" in the uk but in the usa it has a more specific meaning. felon is 5 letters and criminal is 8 so felon is clearly the superior word if you are (like me) a lazy person

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

sassassin posted:

I stand corrected.

Enough about your orthopaedic shoes, what about Ched Evans

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

stickyfngrdboy posted:

If he'd come out of prison full of remorse and apologies, this wouldn't even be news anymore. The fact he's still denying guilt and thinks that what he did was fuckin awesome means nobody in their right mind will employ him as a professional footballer.

It sounds like he thinks he was wrongly convicted

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

There is literally nothing going against Ched but the bint being too hosed up to give consent.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

There is literally nothing going against Ched but the bint being too hosed up to give consent.

So he raped her then?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Oh boy, this thread is going places...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There was nothing going against Luke McCormick except that family's car.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lol th ere is nothing going against him other than he's guilty of rape, m'lud, clear his name immediately, yer honour.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I support Ched Evans.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Poe's law strikes again

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oi Oi! Alright Dapper!!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sassassin posted:

I stand corrected.

You don't, he's lodged fresh appeals with apparently new information with the Criminal Case Review Commission so he should be and will still be protesting his innocence.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/18/legal-watchdog-fast-tracks-ched-evans-rape-inquiry

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I sit.

quote:

Police are investigating after a Twitter user wrote that he hoped Ched Evans raped Jessica Ennis-Hill.

On Thursday the athlete said she would want her name removed from a stand named after her by Sheffield United if the club re-signs the convicted rapist.

Later in the day a tweet was sent, saying: "I hope he [Evans] rapes her"

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What is there to investigate about that?

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

the fact that "THe Jess Ennis Stand" is something that actually exists and isn't blocked by someone for being stupid as gently caress

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

jyrka posted:

It's illegal to be mean to people in Britain now

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Ched should just try to move to a country more accepting of the charge, like say, Qatar.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Total Meatlove posted:

You don't, he's lodged fresh appeals with apparently new information with the Criminal Case Review Commission so he should be and will still be protesting his innocence.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/18/legal-watchdog-fast-tracks-ched-evans-rape-inquiry

That's not an appeal :eng101:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
if he doesn't find a club Ched Evans will always have a place on the Something Awful moderation team

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Clit Avoider posted:

Ched should just try to move to a country more accepting of the charge, like say, Qatar.

Then he can't drink first.

What's the point?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

if he doesn't find a club Ched Evans will always have a place on the Something Awful moderation team

He's a rapist not a nonce.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not an appeal :eng101:

He still has to deny he committed the offence

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

jyrka posted:

England uses speech laws to preserve their class system and keep dumbs and proles from speaking out

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It's illegal to be mean to people in Britain now
Evans appeals and gets an ASBO barring him from sex for a year.

African AIDS cum posted:

England uses speech laws to preserve their class system and keep dumbs and proles from speaking out
Also they legally think there's no difference between saying something mean on Twitter and saying something mean directly to someone's face.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

AFAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Shrapnig posted:

He's going to go play in the ISL and take the bus to training and matches.

This isn't getting the love it deserves.

The whole situation is quite tricky and the cynic in me things there are a lot of people using it to their advantage. Clegg coming out against it the other day smacked of trying to curry favour coming up to an election. The sponsors are probably getting as much good publicity out of threatening to pull their deals as they are sponsoring the back of Sheffield United's shirts.

I'm not defending him for a second or saying he should be let play again automatically, but I don't buy this whole "players as role models" thing. He was a professional footballer because he was good enough to be, not because of any moral character he may or may not have.