Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The official HTC cover? I ordered it from amazon and there's no date in sight.

Yeah, Amazon said this: "Although we can't provide an updated delivery date at this time, the manufacturer expects to be able to provide us with the item so we can deliver it to you on or before December 1, 2014."

But very much *shrug*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Tunga posted:

My Nexus 5 is on "Optimising apps" now so we'll see what happens. So far I spent exactly 30 seconds fastbooting the factory image as normal.

I had to unlock bootloader, and then rebooted, where the fun began. Stuck in a bootloop so reflashed stock, then had to flash cache and userinfo(?) separately, then flash Lollipop, THEN it's cache and userinfo and it finally booted.

No hangups or reboots so far, silky smooth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My N10 had none of those issues. I've had well over a week of standby on it before and reboots stopped a happening a long long time ago.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else had an issue with Windows recognizing a Nexus 7 2013 in bootloader mode? I've been beating my head against the wall for the last hour uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but every time my tablet goes into bootloader mode Windows sees it as an unknown USB device (literally, the hardware ID is reported as USB\UNKNOWN). When the tablet is booted into Android, though, Windows sees it just fine.

I've updated my USB drivers via the SDK downloader, and I've gone through two of the four options in the latest WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. I've done a factory reset/wipe of the device via Recovery mode, too, but that just had me re-setup the device.

I'm trying to flash the latest OTA release of L over top of the Lollipop preview that was released a couple of weeks back.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with Windows recognizing a Nexus 7 2013 in bootloader mode? I've been beating my head against the wall for the last hour uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but every time my tablet goes into bootloader mode Windows sees it as an unknown USB device (literally, the hardware ID is reported as USB\UNKNOWN). When the tablet is booted into Android, though, Windows sees it just fine.

I've updated my USB drivers via the SDK downloader, and I've gone through two of the four options in the latest WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. I've done a factory reset/wipe of the device via Recovery mode, too, but that just had me re-setup the device.

I'm trying to flash the latest OTA release of L over top of the Lollipop preview that was released a couple of weeks back.

Are you by chance using USB 3.0 ports and Win 8.1? They are flaky sometimes. I even bought a $100 beater Lenovo running Win7 with USB 2 ports for flashing and phone stuff. Works flawlessly every time whereas my SP3 is flaky as hell.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Are you by chance using USB 3.0 ports and Win 8.1? They are flaky sometimes. I even bought a $100 beater Lenovo running Win7 with USB 2 ports for flashing and phone stuff. Works flawlessly every time whereas my SP3 is flaky as hell.

Ha. That's terrible. Android Drivers are so all over the place when I used to have a Windows laptop it was much easier to just run an Ubuntu VM in VM Player and connect to that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

No, I'm on Windows 7 and it's plugged into a 2.0 port. I've used this setup before to flash my tablet so I know it's worked before. What's weird is that just now I was able to get my laptop to recognize my tablet in bootloader mode by booting into Recovery and selecting Factory Reset/Wipe Data. Afterwads, I immediately booted back into the Bootloader from Recovery, at which point Windows recognized the device. I'm currently downloading the 4.4.4 image in case there's a problem with the bootloader in the 5.0 image...

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Karthe posted:

No, I'm on Windows 7 and it's plugged into a 2.0 port. I've used this setup before to flash my tablet so I know it's worked before. What's weird is that just now I was able to get my laptop to recognize my tablet in bootloader mode by booting into Recovery and selecting Factory Reset/Wipe Data. Afterwads, I immediately booted back into the Bootloader from Recovery, at which point Windows recognized the device. I'm currently downloading the 4.4.4 image in case there's a problem with the bootloader in the 5.0 image...

Seconding the linux VM for fastboot and adb. So much simpler and consistent. Windows adb and fastboot drivers are a nightmare.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lostleaf posted:

Seconding the linux VM for fastboot and adb. So much simpler and consistent. Windows adb and fastboot drivers are a nightmare.

If a goon needed it, I could probably make a really small Ubuntu VM that could be easily loaded in VMWare with just ADB and Fastboot on it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Alder posted:

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273

They have a few old megathreads for individual games or apps too.

Thanks for the link, I am not sure why I didn't bother to check the "games" subforum... :downs:

To contribute, I am loving 5.0 on my recently acquired Nexus 7 (2012). It runs quite well, and the idle battery life is already showing improvements.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimchandi posted:

I had to unlock bootloader, and then rebooted, where the fun began. Stuck in a bootloop so reflashed stock, then had to flash cache and userinfo(?) separately, then flash Lollipop, THEN it's cache and userinfo and it finally booted.
Did you reboot immediately after unlocking the bootloader? If you don't do that and then start flashing stuff it fucks up because a flag doesn't get cleared or something and you have to do a manual factory reset to fix it.

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with Windows recognizing a Nexus 7 2013 in bootloader mode?
Usual advice for this is: plug in device, right click in Device Manager, delete device, unplug device, repeat until it doesn't show up or keeps showing up as the same unknown thing. Now replug it one more time and manually point it at Google's USB driver.

I've done this with at least a dozen different devices on different machines and it has worked every single time. Which is not to say that it is a universal solution, but that's how I've always resolved Android driver issues on Windows.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

If a goon needed it, I could probably make a really small Ubuntu VM that could be easily loaded in VMWare with just ADB and Fastboot on it.
Can I trouble you for that? This is driving me nuts, I have everything in place but I think my laptop is fighting me. Now I'm seeing stuff like this when I try to flash:

code:
sending 'bootloader' (3911 KB)...
OKAY [  0.177s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.272s
rebooting into bootloader...
FAILED (command write failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.013s

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
error: out of memory

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

code:
I would imagine this means you have multiple "connections" to the phone open. Restart your computer and see if that helps.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Credit where credit's due.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lollipop-50-available-nvidia-shield-november-18

Shield tablet getting 5.0 on Nov 18th.

I love this new trend of manufacturers falling over each other to get updates out.

November 18th - well happy birthday to me!!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

I would imagine this means you have multiple "connections" to the phone open. Restart your computer and see if that helps.
I just restarted prior to that flash attempt. :sigh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

I just restarted prior to that flash attempt. :sigh:
Can you give me the exact set of commands you ran to get the output above?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

Can you give me the exact set of commands you ran to get the output above?
I ran the flash-all.bat file included in the tar'd 5.0 image I download from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. Here's a copy-paste of the contents of that file:

code:
@ECHO OFF
:: Copyright 2012 The Android Open Source Project
::
:: Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
:: you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
:: You may obtain a copy of the License at
::      [url]http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0[/url]
:: Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
:: distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
:: WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
:: See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
:: limitations under the License.

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.04.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-razor-lrx21p.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit
And for good measure here's the directory structure:

code:
11/10/2014  09:47 AM         4,005,632 bootloader-flo-flo-04.04.img
11/10/2014  09:47 AM               852 flash-all.bat
11/10/2014  09:47 AM               740 flash-all.sh
11/10/2014  09:47 AM               698 flash-base.sh
11/10/2014  09:47 AM       478,386,040 image-razor-lrx21p.zip
               5 File(s)    482,393,962 bytes

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Karthe posted:

Can I trouble you for that? This is driving me nuts, I have everything in place but I think my laptop is fighting me. Now I'm seeing stuff like this when I try to flash:

code:
OKAY [  0.177s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.272s
rebooting into bootloader...
finished. total time: 0.013s

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
error: out of memory

K. Ill make it tonight. My wife had a baby yesterday so I'll be up all night anyways.

Download and install virtual box or VM ware player I'm the meantime. Both are free. Ill make the VM on VMWare so get that one if you can.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

My wife had a baby yesterday

Congrats. Please do not try to sell the baby on SA Mart if it does not meet your requirements.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nicely done.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

K. Ill make it tonight. My wife had a baby yesterday so I'll be up all night anyways.

Download and install virtual box or VM ware player I'm the meantime. Both are free. Ill make the VM on VMWare so get that one if you can.

lol, but also that's awesome.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Tunga posted:

Did you reboot immediately after unlocking the bootloader? If you don't do that and then start flashing stuff it fucks up because a flag doesn't get cleared or something and you have to do a manual factory reset to fix it.

That sounds about right, in my defence the guide didn't tell me that was necessary. All running smoothly now though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

Congrats. Please do not try to sell the baby on SA Mart if it does not meet your requirements.

I don't have the original packaging, so I don't think I can sell her on Swappa. I also don't want to deal with human trafficking charges or the incredibly more severe ebay fees, so I'll keep her. I'm downloading an ISO Ubuntu now, I'll have it setup pretty soon.

EDIT: also, where did the YOSPOS Android thread go?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 13, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't have the original packaging, so I don't think I can sell her on Swappa. I also don't want to deal with human trafficking charges or the incredibly more severe ebay fees, so I'll keep her. I'm downloading an ISO Ubuntu now, I'll have it setup pretty soon.

EDIT: also, where did the YOSPOS Android thread go?
The old one was closed, here's the new one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aaaaand, apparently google hosed up the latest N9 OTA.

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/13/latest-nexus-9-update-is-giving-everyone-error-message/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please be sure to post the Swappa link next month.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It turns out it my loving work laptop was the culprit. I got home and flashed my tablet in one go using my personal machine, no issues whatsoever. Thanks for your guy's help...

...And congratulations on the new family member :)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Karthe posted:

It turns out it my loving work laptop was the culprit. I got home and flashed my tablet in one go using my personal machine, no issues whatsoever. Thanks for your guy's help...

...And congratulations on the new family member :)

So no Linux VM then? Also thanks.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Just got a Nexus 9 today! I'm not noticing any lag at all. There's a little light bleed at the top but if hadn't been mentioned here I never would have looked for it or noticed. Over all I'm happy with my purchase.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

So no Linux VM then? Also thanks.
I no longer have a need for it, so you should probably relax or something instead :toot:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So far, first impressions of the very latest N9 OTA (after I unfucked Google's mistake from the first OTA) is performance is dramatically improved. We'll see if this is maintained as uptime increases.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Is there still a way to force an OTA update during staggered rollouts? I remember from some past roll outs that you could repeatedly clear app data or cache from one of Google's background services to start the OTA download.

↓↓↓↓↓
EDIT: I have a Nexus 7 2013.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 14, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chances are even if you got the OTA, it wouldn't install for you.

The first OTA hosed up and didn't update recovery to the latest version in the vast majority of cases. The new one validates versions before it installs and finds that recovery is a version behind and it aborts.

What I had to do was flash the recovery.img from the last factory image. Then the OTA will install.

So, basically, right now if you want the latest OTA on your N9, you are going to have to gently caress with adb and fastboot anyways. Google has to release an updated OTA that can correct the issue from the last one for a normal flash to work.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 14, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Is there still a way to force an OTA update during staggered rollouts? I remember from some past roll outs that you could repeatedly clear app data or cache from one of Google's background services to start the OTA download.

↓↓↓↓↓
EDIT: I have a Nexus 7 2013.

No, clearing app data and cache from that will not make the OTA come faster, but it's also a non-zero chance that it will gently caress up your Google services on your device, so don't do it.

If you want it sooner, download the zip file and install it using "adb sideload." Or just hang tight and wait.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/13/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/#nexus-7-2013-wi-fi

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
I was going to pre-order a nexus 9, decided against it because of the poor reviews here.

Dodgy build quality? Seriously HTC?

How could google screw the pooch on such a highly anticipated release?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

db franco posted:

I was going to pre-order a nexus 9, decided against it because of the poor reviews here.

Dodgy build quality? Seriously HTC?

How could google screw the pooch on such a highly anticipated release?

Really love mine despite the light-bleed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Really love mine despite the fact that the back technically has some flex; certainly don't notice while holding it.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Are they available at retailers yet? I may reconsider but not until I've had the chance to pick one up.

Or are either of you close to the Minneapolis area? :D

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ended up returning my N9 to Best Buy and got an open box 10.5 Tab S 32 gig for $389 (haggled with manager like I always do). I know, Samsung but drat if the SAMOLED screen and non 4:3 isn't incredible. Blacks are pure #00000. No stock 5.0 but at this point I don't care. The screen on this thing is pure butter.

Might even violate my religion and get a Note 4 as well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

hotsauce posted:

Ended up returning my N9 to Best Buy and got an open box 10.5 Tab S 32 gig for $389 (haggled with manager like I always do). I know, Samsung but drat if the SAMOLED screen and non 4:3 isn't incredible. Blacks are pure #00000. No stock 5.0 but at this point I don't care. The screen on this thing is pure butter.

Might even violate my religion and get a Note 4 as well.

Really? Note 4 over Nexus 6? It's not even close, is it?

Better performance and build quality on the phone, from what I've been reading..

I've played with a Note 4 at Sprint and it seemed kinda clunky.