Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

loving French people ruining everything.

As a sidenote, this game has some of the best mocap animation for dialogue I've seen yet.

LA Noire was pretty good in terms of being believable, but creepy realism award goes to Heavy Rain, specifically the old clock repairman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Watch Dogs is GTA but better because GTA isn't very good and that's not a high bar to clear.

Wow.

"GTA is a bad game. Realistically most games should be better than GTA V or they are failures."

I think that's what you more or less just said. Is this a popular opinion? Because I felt GTA V was an amazing single player game and so far nothing released in 2014 has come close to it (though I share the love for Mordor and Aliens as good games).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Wow.

"GTA is a bad game. Realistically most games should be better than GTA V or they are failures."

I think that's what you more or less just said. Is this a popular opinion? Because I felt GTA V was an amazing single player game and so far nothing released in 2014 has come close to it (though I share the love for Mordor and Aliens as good games).

It's a popular opinion that one of the most successful and groundbreaking franchises in history is overhyped and overrated. Unfortunately for the ones who think that way, it's also a popular opinion that that opinion is garbage.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
In today's edition of Jethro Isn't Sure How He Feels About AC:Rogue, I have reached the part where Shay is no longer an assassin, and the plot is still confusing. However, when the territory control game revealed itself, I was actually surprised, and I don't mind it. Hunting stalkers is pretty fun too. I climbed a tower looking for one, and then I did a LoF, and halfway down I realized that my target was almost certainly hiding in the hay I was falling into. We both popped out, and she fell into the water and drowned. Good times.

The plot, as I said, is still confusing. "Why are the Assassins so bad at managing people?" my wife keeps asking. Dear Achilles, when Shay returns to the homestead upset because he caused the Lisbon earthquake, and he thinks (reasonably) that you knew that this was a possible outcome of his mission and didn't warn him, telling him he must have not been careful enough isn't going to diffuse the situation. Maybe try a "calm down Shay" not a "I won't let you ruin all my work! *punch*" next time.

I hope at least some of the questions I have (How did Shay get from the Homestead to NYC? Why is Shay's first reaction to losing something "oh good, it's lost forever" and not "oh poo poo, who has it now?"? Why are the assassins recruiting a whole bunch of total assholes? Why is Shay acting so strange?) are answered later, even if it's in ACII style DLC. In particular it seems like either Shay has some weird amnesia or the memory has been altered. I hope it's something like that, instead of just bad/sloppy/inconsistent writing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Jethro posted:

How did Shay get from the Homestead to NYC?

I felt the game explained that well enough in the following cutscene. The tide carried Shay somewhere, where the Finnegans (or friends of theirs) found Shay in pretty dire shape. They brought him to their home in NY to recover. Finnegan assumed he was some sailor who fell off his ship half-drunk.

That was what I thought I saw/heard in those cutscenes at least.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So, is Uplay just not functioning on the PC at all at this point? The actions/rewards section seems to be nonexistent for every game now, and even though that rank stuff I mentioned earlier seems to be unfucked, I'm still getting "error code 0x60000001" whenever I try to access any online features in Unity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So, is Uplay just not functioning on the PC at all at this point? The actions/rewards section seems to be nonexistent for every game now, and even though that rank stuff I mentioned earlier seems to be unfucked, I'm still getting "error code 0x60000001" whenever I try to access any online features in Unity.

uplay.com posted:

There are intermittent issues impacting some Uplay services.
We're actively working to solve these issues.
Gamers can be reassured that no progress data associated with these services will be lost.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

I would suspect that a lot of the Uplay/Unity connectivity wasn't tested well enough, and that's been a large source of issues.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh Uplay seems to always be a hot mess whenever Ubisoft releases something big (See Watch Dogs, Anno 2070 etc etc). It usually gets better after a few days-a week.

The only recent release I can remember that didn't melt the servers was Rayman Legends. :smith:

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Dang, the new patch really cleaned up the multiplayer crashing I was getting. Now I'm having problems with NPC AI not recognizing me, I'm running through co-op mission stabbing dudes in the face and even though they yell at me they don't seem to see me. Probably other users with hacked games or somesuch.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

macnbc posted:

I felt the game explained that well enough in the following cutscene. The tide carried Shay somewhere, where the Finnegans (or friends of theirs) found Shay in pretty dire shape. They brought him to their home in NY to recover. Finnegan assumed he was some sailor who fell off his ship half-drunk.

That was what I thought I saw/heard in those cutscenes at least.
It seems like that's what we're initially supposed to believe, but I hope something else happened since it seems like sloppy writing for him to just float 400 miles from Rockport, MA to NYC and then magically end up in the house of some Templar sympathizers. Especially since he freezes to death if you jump in the little stream near the Homestead, so how's he supposed to survive the ocean?

im pooping! posted:

I think Colonel Monroe actually says his men picked you up. They were watching the Precursor Manuscript or whatever and scooped you immediately.
That makes a bit more sense.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 14, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jethro posted:

It seems like that's what we're initially supposed to believe, but I hope something else happened since it seems like sloppy writing for him to just float 400 miles from Rockport, MA to NYC and then magically end up in the house of some Templar sympathizers. Especially since he freezes to death if you jump in the little stream near the Homestead, so how's he supposed to survive the ocean?

I think Colonel Monroe actually says his men picked you up. They were watching the Precursor Manuscript or whatever and scooped you immediately.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Still running 1.1.0 here and with a 970 performance is a hot mess. The difference at 1080p between max and min settings is 15-20fps, but we're talking 25-45 fps range here. Amusingly when you disable vsync the game doesn't have a frame limiter so loading screens will be at 500fps+. Enable vsync at the driver level so your card doesn't explode. Game has hilarious amounts of tearing, pop-in and isn't visually impressive for all the resources it's wasting.

Since I don't recall anyone doing so here's some in-game shots:

What you'll see after watching the intro video after the start screen:

Game progresses fine after that into another cutscene then an in-game tutorial. This is where you finally get access to the start menu with the ability to check out the options. Note that the first entry in the list at this moment in the game is the eStore spouting 30% off. Here's the price list for helix credits for anyone curious:

Progressing into the game a bit I disabled AA and AO to hopefully improve performance, by default everything else was at high:

Around here I noticed the framerate disparity with vsync disabled so quit out to enable it at the driver level.

Start of sequence 3 here's the difference between the lowest and highest settings (Ultra High/Ultra High/PCSS/HBAO+/TXAA/Bloom):

For that particular scene with some visible NPCs lowest settings is 46fps, highest is 32fps. I just tried seting it to 3840x2160 to see what'd happen: the game and uplay crashed. On the plus side it's now found the patch so tune in next time for comparisons.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Start of sequence 3 here's the difference between the lowest and highest settings (Ultra High/Ultra High/PCSS/HBAO+/TXAA/Bloom):

For that particular scene with some visible NPCs lowest settings is 46fps, highest is 32fps. I just tried seting it to 3840x2160 to see what'd happen: the game and uplay crashed. On the plus side it's now found the patch so tune in next time for comparisons.

Well the lowest setting gets you a hot bourgeois chick instead of a dumpy old man, so that's obviously the better setting.

Edit: Is it just me, but as of memory 6 they still have yet to explain why Templars are bad guys? I get it since I played the earlier games, but in this it feels like she just calls you up and says "Hey work for us it will be awesome" and you do.

BattleSausage fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Checking the same shot under 1.2.0 performance is exactly the same under lowest/highest.

e: Trying 3840x2160 still crashes unsurprisingly, guess it was just some minor bug fixes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Something from LA Beast thats somewhat related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeq1SHoIOXE

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So.... it turns out I wasnt paying attention and the patch had reset some of my graphics setting to be much higher. Disregard my performance being worse post, Im an idiot. Still not better though.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
As in Black Flag the modern stuff in Rogue continues to be a tease and wink at the camera. On plans to Abstero-fy AC3 and the American Revolution, an email you can find says "George Washington, we can franchise. I don't know that we'd get more than one feature out of Connor. Plus, don't even get me started on his wife or the way he died. What a mess."

Did that rumor about Connor having a cameo in Unity turn out true? Or is everyone guffawing at the game faceplanting on release?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mustang posted:

Something from LA Beast thats somewhat related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeq1SHoIOXE

Well, that was certainly a video.
What an odd fellow.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just fired up the game to check and it looks like 1.2 gave me a few FPS. I'm running 2-3 FPS faster in most crowds and significantly faster in more private areas. Climbing one of the towers I saw over 60 FPS for the first time ever, and I'm running 1080p Ultra High on a Geforce 970 with a CPU that only sort of meets minimums (2.7Ghz 6 core where the game wants a 3Ghz 4 core). My low point when running around is still 27 FPS in the heaviest crowds.

The menus are a lot smoother running too.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The patch fixed my crash issues in the southeastern districts so yeah, that was totally on my end. :rolleyes:

The companion app is still a piece of poo poo but out of professional curiosity I attempted the nomad missions at Les Invalides to get the gear pieces. The first mission in the first branch is 4 hours, lvl 15 min. I sent 2 lvl 18, 1 17, 1 16 at a 100% success rate. The 2 18s came back at ~20% hp, the 16 had full hp and the 17 was DEAD. Why? The second mission is 10 hours but my assassin "store" doesn't have enough high level assassins left, need to wait 14 hours for it to refresh.
The first mission of the second branch is 10 hours, sent a bunch of 21s and 20s, fully expect to have at least one of them to end up dead now.

Since I'd have to wait for the store to refresh to replace dead assassins on top of the hours it takes to run the missions, plus the 10 assassin limit, I'd guesstimate it takes 3-4 weeks with that stupid app to get the 6 pieces of gear it's meant to unlock. Whoever designed this bullshit needs to be banned from working in the gaming industry. I could at least somewhat understand if this was some stupid web game making money off ads and selling time savers, but it's not. Even if you buy the premium app you don't get any "advantages" other than a few more slots for assassins.

At least their old Facebook games for Brotherhood/Revelations had some sense of progression and content, some strategy, this is just pure button pushing and waiting, what's the loving point? It adds absolutely nothing to the main game and it's just frustrating bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's 100% success rate. Not 100% survival rate. Need that money flowing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Where do I begin? Playing some Co-op, and while it may be this game's only saving grace, it is also pretty abysmal.

1) Why is my character's mouth moving when the NPC lady is the only one talking? (Silly, dumb, not a big deal.. but wtf?)

2) Why is the animation so bad? It's like it skips large chunks of animation.

3) Why can I no longer reliably (or even half-reliably?) attack from above with Square? I see a guy and whether I'm on a third story ledge or just 10 feet above them, it doesn't allow me to attack. Instead I have to scramble down (often hitting areas I didn't intend) and everyone is FULLY loving AWARE of my presence by the time I hit the ground.

4) Why is traversal like a thousand times worse than past games? Hey let's jump back and forth between 2 things that aren't at all what I'm even looking at?

5) Why is there such a bloody latency on moves, combat or otherwise? It makes the combat unpleasant and the parkour feel stilted as poo poo.

[edit]

I only have one Heist and one Co-Op available. What do I need to do to unlock it? Please don't say Story.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 14, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Found the patch notes for 1.2.0:
  • Fixed an issue where under some circumstances, Arno can fall through ground when free running on various props or when dropping down on to an NPC.
  • Fixed an issue where it is possible for Arno to get stuck in a hay cart next to the Pantheon in the Bièvre district.
  • Fixed an issue that may cause a game crash when joining the co-op session of another player who has a specific single player and side missions progression.
  • Improved performance in cinematic on low HW configurations
  • Fixed various flickering issues on nVidia SLI and AMD CrossFire configurations
  • Fixed various Graphic issues
    • Fixed light artifacts in PCSS shadows
    • Fixed problem with refresh rate on a first game launch.
  • Fixed various Input issues
    • Other keyboard/mouse fixes in several menu pages.
  • Fixed issues with “Invite to game” option when it was becoming unavailable after host migration, when it was active for all recent players instead of only for friends
Note that even with this patch, players may still experience
  • Most framerate issues that have been reported since the release of the game
  • Performance issues

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also something that is driving me crazy is how sometimes Arno can climb-leap a pretty decent vertical distance, and sometimes he refuses to do so on lesser distances, meaning I hang around like, trying for a long-rear end time because one EXPECTS it should work.*

*and sometimes he doesn't, but then after a long time... he does.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Jethro posted:

In today's edition of Jethro Isn't Sure How He Feels About AC:Rogue, I have reached the part where Shay is no longer an assassin, and the plot is still confusing. However, when the territory control game revealed itself, I was actually surprised, and I don't mind it. Hunting stalkers is pretty fun too. I climbed a tower looking for one, and then I did a LoF, and halfway down I realized that my target was almost certainly hiding in the hay I was falling into. We both popped out, and she fell into the water and drowned. Good times.

The plot, as I said, is still confusing. "Why are the Assassins so bad at managing people?" my wife keeps asking. Dear Achilles, when Shay returns to the homestead upset because he caused the Lisbon earthquake, and he thinks (reasonably) that you knew that this was a possible outcome of his mission and didn't warn him, telling him he must have not been careful enough isn't going to diffuse the situation. Maybe try a "calm down Shay" not a "I won't let you ruin all my work! *punch*" next time.

I hope at least some of the questions I have (How did Shay get from the Homestead to NYC? Why is Shay's first reaction to losing something "oh good, it's lost forever" and not "oh poo poo, who has it now?"? Why are the assassins recruiting a whole bunch of total assholes? Why is Shay acting so strange?) are answered later, even if it's in ACII style DLC. In particular it seems like either Shay has some weird amnesia or the memory has been altered. I hope it's something like that, instead of just bad/sloppy/inconsistent writing.

Isn't the game from a Templar's perspective? Of course all the assassins are gonna be assholes and really bad at their jobs.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

Darth Ballz posted:

Isn't the game from a Templar's perspective? Of course all the assassins are gonna be assholes and really bad at their jobs.
Well, he starts as an assassin. I guess it will just be interesting to see if it's just sloppy writing, or if it's motivated by something.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I don't know, I can buy Achilles just being an incompetent petty scumbag, it certainly fits his character in AC3

:mad: "Go start a riot while I gently caress off. Sure the Templars have the same goals as us and also know what the hell they're doing, but communicating in any medium other than stabbing would be wrong because they are jerks. Now go get something in a dangerous crumbling cave, you'll know it when you see it. No I will not give you the key to the chest it's in, figure it out yourself."

Achilles can go get hosed, is what I'm saying.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Jethro posted:

Well, he starts as an assassin. I guess it will just be interesting to see if it's just sloppy writing, or if it's motivated by something.

I'm guessing it's a reverse from that Daniel Cross/Lucy thing, where he's an Assassin plant and by the end he's working for the Assassins again. I'm of course speculating because I'm busy collecting all the things and not doing story missions. Some bullshit like that device you touched and disintegrated actually made the earthquakes much less devastating than they would have been.

Then again, Achilles could just be bitter about his family dying in a fire or whatever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
And now, your daily jank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm67EF7a9lQ

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

im pooping! posted:

Achilles could just be bitter

90% of his characterisation in AC3 was how he was a bitter, grumpy old man. Good to see that even during the 7 years war he was just as bitter.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
This game is a lot more fun when I'm not constantly falling through the world geometry. I have to play 720p Low for a playable framerate, but its still sucking me in. Never pre-ordering another AC again though.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Probably a really stupid question, but how the hell do I close this drat game on console? I tried pressing everything...It just feels weird to me to just close the game by pressing the PS Button. Games have trained me to close out to the main menu before stopping playing.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

regarding 0x60000001 connectivity problems...

Yet while some people get that others are playing coop next door...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Probably a really stupid question, but how the hell do I close this drat game on console? I tried pressing everything...It just feels weird to me to just close the game by pressing the PS Button. Games have trained me to close out to the main menu before stopping playing.

The worst part is AC games used to save when you quit. Now you need to make sure to trigger an auto save. Anything worthwhile you do does, but still.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rogue is great, you guys. It's basically "what if AC3 ran better and had seamless naval combat and a not terrible lead".

I'm not really liking Shay, but the game is laying out the plot rather nicely in the early hours.

And man, this one is made for the fans. Freedom Cry is repeatedly referenced, and actually keys off a large chunk of the plot. There's callbacks to Liberation, too.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Today's PC patch seems to have improved my performance a decent amount.

Sent a request to join goon_ass.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So is the game still performing lovely on consoles?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lyer posted:

So is the game still performing lovely on consoles?
It hasn't been patched since the day one patch (no idea what it was like before that), so yes. But like, 10-25fps, not three or whatever outside of apparently places with stained glass.

edit: oh never mind, it was just patched and never informed me. It didn't even put a notice in the notices list...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There was a patch today on PS4, seems the same but I never had the single digit FPS people on PC seem to frequently have. I don't even think it's possible for this game to have a great FPS regardless of the engine because of how many people there are and there a TON of buildings you can go inside and they're all well detailed and seem like somebody lives in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second patch is for bugs and glitches, not performance.

• Locked thread