Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

People said the V8 M3 ruined everything and when BMW replaced it with the F80 people said without the V8 it wasn't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Every new M3 is where BMW lost it when it's introduced and the last pure M3 when the next generation after it is announced.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I dunno, it seems like the E36 M3 has a lot of bitterness attached to it at least in the US. I dunno what the buzz was like when it was fresh, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd be pretty pissed off if they announce a new M4 with 500HP and then said the US version would have 430.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i hate my dumb lovely car and i want to loving set it on fire whyyyy you piece of poo poo why must your cooling system be so loving stupid, you overheat in the summer and then you overheat in the winter because you freeze over even though it's only -8c and there's antifreeze in there

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Jonny 290 posted:

I dunno, it seems like the E36 M3 has a lot of bitterness attached to it at least in the US. I dunno what the buzz was like when it was fresh, though.

The bmw fans in the US petitioned BMW to bring the e36 M3 here after BMW said they weren't going to. Even with the gimped S50 engine they were happy to get it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I'd be pretty pissed off if they announce a new M4 with 500HP and then said the US version would have 375.

FTFY. The USDM E36 M3 had roughly 3/4 ths the power of the Euro E36 M3.

And I think the Hellcat is more reminiscent of the AMG Black Mercs rather than M cars. Ridiculous amounts of power, fast, not really that much handling finesse, like an SLS AMG63 Black who's started really hitting the weights.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HotCanadianChick posted:

FTFY. The USDM E36 M3 had roughly 3/4 ths the power of the Euro E36 M3.

And I think the Hellcat is more reminiscent of the AMG Black Mercs rather than M cars. Ridiculous amounts of power, fast, not really that much handling finesse, like an SLS AMG63 Black who's started really hitting the weights.

Particularly apt, given the early 2000s E-series / S-series influences on the Hellcat's LX platform.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Quick question:

Can anyone tell me exactly where to find the VIN tag on the hood of an E36 sedan? If someone could circle the spot on this picture http://i.imgur.com/JYUeM3g.jpg (I don't know if that hood has one, I just want to know the spot to check), it would be very helpful. I can't find the tag on one I'm looking at and I want to figure out if I am blind or it is missing.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Brock Landers posted:

The bmw fans in the US petitioned BMW to bring the e36 M3 here after BMW said they weren't going to. Even with the gimped S50 engine they were happy to get it.

Which is why I happily pay my dues to the CCA because Roundel was instrumental in rounding up support for the letter writing campaign in the early 90s.

BossTweed posted:

Quick question:

Can anyone tell me exactly where to find the VIN tag on the hood of an E36 sedan? If someone could circle the spot on this picture http://i.imgur.com/JYUeM3g.jpg (I don't know if that hood has one, I just want to know the spot to check), it would be very helpful. I can't find the tag on one I'm looking at and I want to figure out if I am blind or it is missing.

Generally on the right hand side of the hood, about halfway down, looking from the front of the car, IIRC

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Went to take a picture of mine and my car doesn't have one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Pretty sure mine (E36 M3 vert) is on a clear section where the windshield meets the hood on the driver's side, but maybe sedans are different.

Also one inside the driver's side door frame.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah at this point I was expecting the F80 to drive more like a GT car. Jesus the E92 M3 I test drove when selling the E46 sure as hell did. I'm just excited to see a straight six back in it, and am plenty okay with turbocharging as I've gotten used to the delayed throttle response driving a few turbos over the years. I guess there is nothing left to do but test drive one and see how they feel. Wonder how hard it will be to find a dealer with a manual on the lot.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ahaha BMW wants £550 to fix the tiniest loving rust spot on my car. Its like less than 3mm long and not even 1mm wide, and its right at the edge of the metal where it joins onto the plastic wheel arch.

gently caress that, I can get a treatment kit and a touch up pen with some paint for £20. I'll do the bugger myself.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If I read reviews of the latest 3 series body that are about the sedan, will most all of the comments pretty much apply about the wagon?

I'm considering that as my next car and obviously I'll have to go drive it but I'm also a sucker for reading tons of reviews first and I'm just wondering if I can read sedan reviews in the cases of publications that never got around to reviewing the wagon.

I assume obviously comments about the sound system, iDrive, etc are going to be the same, but how much different are the driving dynamics in the wagon from the sedan?

(Sorry if this should be in the wagon thread)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Brock Landers posted:

The Euro M3 was the M3 we deserved, but not the one we needed at the time.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CornHolio posted:

Thankfully you can just drop an S54 into your E30 / E36.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Yeah its not like people had any problem wadding up thousands of them with only 240hp.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Chemmy posted:

People said the V8 M3 ruined everything and when BMW replaced it with the F80 people said without the V8 it wasn't the same.

The real game changer was the switch from highly tuned NA to turbo. I still miss the sounds the M3's V8 made, the Viper can't come close to matching the sound of the ITBs the S65 has.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ITBs on the viper is the only solution :getin:

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Thankfully you can just drop an S54 into your E30 / E36.

Have been looking at E36 FI kits and this is an interesting alternative idea. Anyone know if there any E36/S54 kits out there worth considering? Is this conversion something a shade-tree/home-garage guy could even entertain?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

swampnutz posted:

Have been looking at E36 FI kits and this is an interesting alternative idea. Anyone know if there any E36/S54 kits out there worth considering? Is this conversion something a shade-tree/home-garage guy could even entertain?

You'll probably get more HP from tossing a turbo on your M50/M52, if that's the main thing you want (more grunt). Those motors love boost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

swampnutz posted:

There are no kits, it is something that can be done at home in a garage, but the financial reasoning isn't there. It's for a specific type of person. :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I don't think you'd need a kit, just motor, harness, ecu, possibly a trans and maybe motor mounts?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Aren't S54s DBW? You'd have to swap over the pedal assemblies and poo poo too right?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Doh I thought we were talking E36 euro engines I always get the S54 and S50 mixed up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

Aren't S54s DBW? You'd have to swap over the pedal assemblies and poo poo too right?

You can do it without DBW, but moving the pedal over isn't a big deal.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Thanks for the thoughts on this. Thinking if I'm using the word "kit" then swapping an engine is prrrroabably out of my league. I still love my E36M3 - it just needs another 100 HP. I love the idea behind the Eurosport twin-screw kit (flat torque, reliability) but at like $10k w/ oil cooler it's borderline insanity. Time to wade into the swamp of turbo kits and less-expensive supercharger kits I suppose.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So if the 3 series is for poors who can't afford a REAL BMW, does that make the 1 series Babby's First Beemer?

I ask because I quite like the look of the 1 series coupe and will probably go for one if I need to get something bigger than a Mini in the future.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ludicro posted:

So if the 3 series is for poors who can't afford a REAL BMW, does that make the 1 series Babby's First Beemer?

I ask because I quite like the look of the 1 series coupe and will probably go for one if I need to get something bigger than a Mini in the future.

The 1 series is the best one. I am in no way biased by owning a 135.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If I were going to replace my E46 with a newer successor, I'd be strongly considering a 1 or 2 series. They're both more E46-sized than the E90/F30 are.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like the size of the 2 but wish it had teensy rear doors.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Chemmy posted:

I like the size of the 2 but wish it had teensy rear doors.

Give it 18 months or so and I guaran-loving-tee that there will be a 2GC on the market

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There's a four-door in the works but rumor is it'll be FWD.

Which I'm not really opposed too, I'd like a small efficient car that's also really nice.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I've lost the roundell off both my keys. What a shite fixing strategy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

I've lost the roundell off both my keys. What a shite fixing strategy.

Inferior German adhesives.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Inferior German adhesives.

This!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How big is the modern 3 series compared to the E39 in size? I had an E39 and it was a really nice size. I know the models have sort of crept up in size, is the new 3 pretty similar in size to the 5 from back then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

How big is the modern 3 series compared to the E39 in size? I had an E39 and it was a really nice size. I know the models have sort of crept up in size, is the new 3 pretty similar in size to the 5 from back then?

The E39 is 188 inches long. The F30 3 series is 182 inches long. The E36 is 174 inches long and the E46 is 176 inches long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cojawfee posted:

The E39 is 188 inches long. The F30 3 series is 182 inches long. The E36 is 174 inches long and the E46 is 176 inches long.

Also interesting: E39 interior volume is 93 cu. feet and 11 cu. of trunk space. The F30 has 96 cu. feet of interior volume and 13 cu. feet of trunk space.