Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, the game has been out since March and there's no more DLC coming. Outside of the PvP population, people that do challenge runs, compulsive replayers and a small subset of newbies that are starting to grab the game (but there hasn't been any big sale so far, so I don't imagine it'd be a lot), the rest of the game's population has probably moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Of course the game's population has declined. All games decline, even the big multiplayer games only retain part of their user base. You might see a resurgence around Christmas, and again in the lead in to Bloodborne but it'll never be what it was at launch.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, with 240 hours i'm at the high end of time played of people on my friendslist and that's "just" 4 full playthroughs, 2 of which coop and 2 in ng+ or higher intensities. I'll never get good at PVP and trying to coop mostly makes sense at the most populated places (read: last dlc) which i've done dozens of times. So there's either challenge runs or grinding to ng+7 or something, neither of which i feel like doing without taking a break first. Otherwise i'm pretty much done for now.

If you think that's in any way a bad flaw of the game you must have insane expectations (or be insane).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Also don't forget that whilr the "hardest game series ever" thing is overblown they aren't easy games for most people. Hard games do make people drop them if they get annoyed.

Unrelated to that: deserc sorc hat, alva chest is amazing fashionsouls even with all the dlc armor.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I can't find the PS3 thread, so may as well ask here.

I'm finally getting the chance to play through the Dark Souls 2 DLC, I managed to get to the Nashandra-esque boss in the first DLC, but my character is feeling a wee bit underpowered and poorly kitted out. I was trying for an INT / STR focussed character, cause I like to use melee but as it's my second character I thought it'd be nice to have some magic options too.

Are there any quick, powerful builds I could do? I'm at a stage of the game where farming out souls and getting a hold of specific pieces of gear shouldn't be a big issue.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Leyburn posted:

I can't find the PS3 thread, so may as well ask here.

I'm finally getting the chance to play through the Dark Souls 2 DLC, I managed to get to the Nashandra-esque boss in the first DLC, but my character is feeling a wee bit underpowered and poorly kitted out. I was trying for an INT / STR focussed character, cause I like to use melee but as it's my second character I thought it'd be nice to have some magic options too.

Are there any quick, powerful builds I could do? I'm at a stage of the game where farming out souls and getting a hold of specific pieces of gear shouldn't be a big issue.

A Crystal Magic Weapon'd RedIron Twinblade could be fairly considered an extinction event.

Also CMW on any bigass weapon.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Flytrap posted:

A Crystal Magic Weapon'd RedIron Twinblade could be fairly considered an extinction event.

Also CMW on any bigass weapon.

Sounds like a plan. Can I still buff it if I give it a magic prefix?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leyburn posted:

Sounds like a plan. Can I still buff it if I give it a magic prefix?

Yes, and in fact that's the best way to buff it. Normal/Great/Crystal Magic Weapon work like this: they add 50 magic damage to whatever weapon you buff, and then increase all of its magic damage by 10%, 20%, and 30% respectively. That means you'll actually get more out of a buff on an infused weapon than you will on a normal one. (Resins don't work on infused weapons, but who needs 'em when you have a buff like that?)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Well, the game has been out since March and there's no more DLC coming.

The testdlc4 branch was updated today, you know. I am reasonably confident that it means more DLC.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Introducing Olaphis, with Mecha-Straid as the final boss.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gologle posted:

Introducing Olaphis, with Steampunk Mecha-Straid as the final boss.

I hope you don't mind, but I fixed it for you.

You know people would play it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Make it Magitek-Straid and I'm all in.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, with 240 hours i'm at the high end of time played of people on my friendslist and that's "just" 4 full playthroughs, 2 of which coop and 2 in ng+ or higher intensities. I'll never get good at PVP and trying to coop mostly makes sense at the most populated places (read: last dlc) which i've done dozens of times. So there's either challenge runs or grinding to ng+7 or something, neither of which i feel like doing without taking a break first. Otherwise i'm pretty much done for now.

If you think that's in any way a bad flaw of the game you must have insane expectations (or be insane).

Its sad I like co-oping no summon signs or summonings is :(. I don't think its a flaw and I attribute some of it to the shittiness that is SM. At least with SL I could stop my guy at 120 and log in whenever I felt like pvping or co-oping. Now when a character gets over a useful SM threshold its "welp that was a nice run time to go do something else."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Haven't played this game in forever, will probably give it another go to see all the DLC zones when they go on holiday sale soon (or before that if I get too bored).

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of changes since then? Have there been any big balance updates or major vendor changes like when they gave twinkling titanite to the Giant Blacksmith in DS1? The last patch I was around for was the one that nerfed all the faith spear spells a long time ago.

Also did the DLCs introduce any horribly broken/OP equipment or spells?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I just can't handle Elana at all. I've been at it for two hours now. The thing is, on the face of it the fight seems easy. I can avoid everything she does, I can run rings round Veldstat and I can deal with a mob of skeletons. But put it all together and I'm hosed, anytime I avoid anything she does, Veldstat hits me. Anytime I defeat him, she hits me with her flame attack while his corpse prevents me from rolling away.

I don't know how many times I have had her down to 100HP only for my bottle to crash at the last minute.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: On my latest attempt I tried to kill a skeleton that was spawning, but due to my lovely luck I was apparently facing his back. Get accidentally locked into a completely unnecessary backstab animation only to get an unavoidable face full of hex when the animation finishes. Aaaaargh.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 15, 2014

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Leyburn posted:

I just can't handle Elana at all. I've been at it for two hours now. The thing is, on the face of it the fight seems easy. I can avoid everything she does, I can run rings round Veldstat and I can deal with a mob of skeletons. But put it all together and I'm hosed, anytime I avoid anything she does, Veldstat hits me. Anytime I defeat him, she hits me with her flame attack while his corpse prevents me from rolling away.

I don't know how many times I have had her down to 100HP only for my bottle to crash at the last minute.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: On my latest attempt I tried to kill a skeleton that was spawning, but due to my lovely luck I was apparently facing his back. Get accidentally locked into a completely unnecessary backstab animation only to get an unavoidable face full of hex when the animation finishes. Aaaaargh.

Elana is my kryptonite as well. Its like while fighting her I enter this state of confusion and can't analyse what I'm doing right or wrong.

My tactic against her essentially boils down to playing the percentages game. Go all out crazy aggressive on her at the start of the fight, sticking to her like glue, rolling all attacks and punishing everything. Usually I mess up early but other times I get her to 50% health and kill two skeletons before her summoning animation is complete. Then I slow down, give the summon the runaround and use a weapon with a nice wide sprint attack.

Not much point to high poise. Black Witch robe and Ring of Resistance +1 together can decrease elemental damage by 25% which may be useful for preventing one hit kills. Long rolls out of the Flame Swathes are very useful so stay light armored I guess.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Leyburn posted:

I just can't handle Elana at all.

If you didn't notice, there's a Benhart summon sign opposite of the fog gate. Having an NPC to take some of the aggro off you helps a lot and powerstanced great/large clubs

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Chomp8645 posted:

Haven't played this game in forever, will probably give it another go to see all the DLC zones when they go on holiday sale soon (or before that if I get too bored).

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of changes since then? Have there been any big balance updates or major vendor changes like when they gave twinkling titanite to the Giant Blacksmith in DS1? The last patch I was around for was the one that nerfed all the faith spear spells a long time ago.

I am also in this situation if anyone can answer this.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

knob posted:

If you didn't notice, there's a Benhart summon sign opposite of the fog gate. Having an NPC to take some of the aggro off you helps a lot and powerstanced great/large clubs

Got it, finally. Ended up summoning some other NPC for the fight, but she got tore up pretty quickly. Took my time and got lucky in that she only summoned skeletons.

Phew. Thank gently caress that is over.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright so I'm starting a new game as a sorcerer, but there is no-one around to be summoned for, and no-one to summon. So right now my current ideas are either stream when I play so that goons know where to find me and wreck my poo poo (a key part of the DS2 experience) or post everynight where I am and never take off that god ring.

Which would you guys prefer?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Turtlicious posted:

Alright so I'm starting a new game as a sorcerer, but there is no-one around to be summoned for, and no-one to summon.

Are you saying that there aren't any goons to be summoned/summon or that there aren't people any in general?

If it's the former then just take the loving ring off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm saying it's the latter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I find it a little hard to believe the game is that dead. You can't find anyone at all in NG? What zones/soul memory are we talking about?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't remember everything but crossbows and spears got a big buff and miracles got nerfed into the ground, as well as some sorceries and hexes. Combat miracles are an absolute joke outside of PvP now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't remember everything but crossbows and spears got a big buff and miracles got nerfed into the ground, as well as some sorceries and hexes. Combat miracles are an absolute joke outside of PvP now.

No matter how much you say this it doesn't make it true. Heavenly Thunder is always good, and all of the offensive miracles are fantastic in the base game from the castle onwards.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
No seriously, they're still good. I can't believe this. Have you actually played what you're talking about or are you just going by what the consensus thinks?

EDIT: Heavenly Thunder is mediocre though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

I find it a little hard to believe the game is that dead. You can't find anyone at all in NG? What zones/soul memory are we talking about?

I don't know how to check soul memory but level 17 and tower of flame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's on the upper righthand corner of the stat screen if I'm remembering right.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

it has a peak of 4k-5k players daily on PC according to steam stats but at this point that's almost entirely people who are still into PvP. the game came out like 7 months ago and there hasn't been a big discount in a while (or maybe ever?) so NG has kind of dried up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I started playing for the first time a couple weeks ago (just beat the twin Dragon riders in the castle at this point), and I've only very rarely had trouble being summoned or finding someone to summon. If I'm trying to get summoned I just put my sign down and continue playing, and I usually get picked up before getting to the boss.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Papercut posted:

I started playing for the first time a couple weeks ago (just beat the twin Dragon riders in the castle at this point), and I've only very rarely had trouble being summoned or finding someone to summon. If I'm trying to get summoned I just put my sign down and continue playing, and I usually get picked up before getting to the boss.

At launch you didn't even have to wait to get summoned on PC. (Though, you did have to on PS3)
But placing your sign and playing on has been the way to go in the first game and in Demon's Souls even at launch. It's just that PC is such a huge audience that whenever a game comes out you'll have no problem at all finding co-op partners until it fizzles out and mostly a couple core fans keep playing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

At launch you didn't even have to wait to get summoned on PC. (Though, you did have to on PS3)
But placing your sign and playing on has been the way to go in the first game and in Demon's Souls even at launch. It's just that PC is such a huge audience that whenever a game comes out you'll have no problem at all finding co-op partners until it fizzles out and mostly a couple core fans keep playing.

I never had to wait at all in the first few weeks for PS3.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Papercut posted:

Same here. I did some sunbroing at the guardian dragon a few days back and I kept getting summoned drat near instantly five or six times in a row. I guess it might be different near the beginning of the game, where the soul memory tiers are smaller.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They really should have expanded the SM tiers for the Sunbro sign. Really, give them some mechanical benefit for staying in the covenant.

And I'm not saying this because it would save me some of the trouble of monkeying around with my SM.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The next incarnations of the series better not have this terrible infectious explosive festering diarrhea of a system like SM. I get that they wanted to avoid the SL1 guy with red eye orb stomping on all of the newbies. However they could have put better controls down than SM while remaining with SL. Expanding blue cops to everyone would be a start.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not expand blue bros, and make your SM total of memory spent on levels / gear. Then dude who is SL1 with crazy good gear still has to face off against SL50+ people, who will inevitably be a bit stronger.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Why not expand blue bros, and make your SM total of memory spent on levels / gear. Then dude who is SL1 with crazy good gear still has to face off against SL50+ people, who will inevitably be a bit stronger.

All that would do is encourage people to use only a few weapons to keep their SM down. It was fine in Dark Souls, where you could only be invaded if you chose to be.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright I'm 38790 SM in Heide's Tower of FLame at SL 28 I can't seem to be invaded nor can I find a bro to summon, tons of orange messages though

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Almost nobody but people who edit their SM invade that low of a SM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nvm, I forgot I needed to be human.

Ugh I need a summons to kill Ornstein.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 16, 2014