Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There is also the mural in the Hidden Palace Zone where you fight Knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

OK, those make sense. I never played Shadow the Hedgehog (since Heroes put me off trying any new Sonic games for years), but did Gerald change his mind from huge dinosaur to anthropomorthic hedgehog because a big spooky alien told him to?

I know I said I hate this whole part of the story, but it would be nice to get some closure to it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You are delusional.

Maybe it's the fact that having a good Sonic game after so long felt great, or the fact that most 3D platformers are giant piles of fuckin garbage regardless of what series they are in or who made them (the best 3D platformers are still not even half as good as a good 2D paltformer, ever), but I stand by that opinion :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I hate that I remember this but wasn't there an explanation that his creator saw the murals of Super Sonic and Perfect Chaos from Sonic Adventure 1 and was inspired by that? I think it might have been in a side game like Sonic Battle.

I think that was just a/my theory, I dunno if anything in the games corroborates it but my reasoning was: the Eclipse Cannon's Chaos Emerald shrine is a reproduction of the one on Angel Island in Adventure 1, which is presumably supposed to be a redesign of the one in S3K's Hidden Palace Zone in the same way that half the levels in Adventure are pretty much revisits of S3K levels. That means that Professor Gerald visited Angel Island, which means he saw the mural, which means that he might well have based his Ultimate Lifeform on the mural. I don't think the evil alien told him how to make the Ultimate Lifeform, just contributed some DNA.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Cubey posted:

Maybe it's the fact that having a good Sonic game after so long felt great, or the fact that most 3D platformers are giant piles of fuckin garbage regardless of what series they are in or who made them (the best 3D platformers are still not even half as good as a good 2D paltformer, ever), but I stand by that opinion :colbert:

Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of the top three best reviewed games in history (1 is number 1 though 2 is the better game). Generations isn't even in the same...galaxy...

The only Sonic games in any kind of "best games ever" discussion came out when George the First and Slick Willy were in office.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 14, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of the top three best reviewed games in history (1 is number 1 though 2 is the better game). Generations isn't even in the same...galaxy...

The only Sonic games in any kind of "best games ever" discussion came out when George the First and Slick Willy were in office.

If we're going by review scores then Sonic 2006 is merely mediocre and not deserving of the hate it gets, so...

And yes I agree that the Genesis games were better and that Generations is not one of the greatest games of all time, what exactly is your point here?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
You posted that Generations was on par as a 3d platformer with two of the greatest games ever made.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I mean I loved Generations and will defend the hell out of it, but it's not even in the same league as the Galaxy games. OR 3D World.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

You posted that Generations was on par as a 3d platformer with two of the greatest games ever made.

Help what are opinions :confused:

Ignoring that, review scores are meaningless anyway unless you seriously want to tell me that GTAIV is also one of the absolute greatest games ever made.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cubey posted:

Ignoring that, review scores are meaningless anyway unless you seriously want to tell me that GTAIV is also one of the absolute greatest games ever made.

Your opinion is wrong based on just how terrible the final boss in Generations is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffqe2qIfcOQ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Your opinion is wrong based on just how terrible the final boss in Generations is.

Yeah :sigh:

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Cubey posted:

I mean you are right in that review scores don't really mean much but Galaxy 1 and 2 are legit two of the greatest games ever made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Every boss in that game is terrible. The worst.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hakkesshu posted:

Every boss in that game is terrible. The worst.

Get a load of this guy! I think he's due for a change of pace. Egg Dragoon was one of the best Eggman fights in the entire series.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
He's Robotnik.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah they were butts. And Miyamoto-esque "Figure out what to do, do it three times to beat the boss" is all well and good but I miss just "Here is its weak spot, hit it 8 times, don't care how". If I have one positive thing to say about Lost World it's that the bosses seemed to be moving more towards that again.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

When I hear Robotnik, I think of that godawful SatAM show. Jim Cummings or not, that show was garbage. Even little kid me thought there was something up: "Why isn't Robotnik in his hover machine? Who is Snively? Where's Knuckles? That's not how rings work!"

AotS still holds up, though. That cartoon was gleefully retarded and reveled in it, and Baldry's Robotnik was practically definitive.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Knuckles, Amy and Robotnik seem to be the best part of this game.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So has the Sonic franchise been saved from disaster?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Screaming Idiot posted:

When I hear Robotnik, I think of that godawful SatAM show. Jim Cummings or not, that show was garbage. Even little kid me thought there was something up: "Why isn't Robotnik in his hover machine? Who is Snively? Where's Knuckles? That's not how rings work!"

AotS still holds up, though. That cartoon was gleefully retarded and reveled in it, and Baldry's Robotnik was practically definitive.

I just think of the bad guy from the good Sonic games who never spoke.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I just think of the bad guy from the good Sonic games who never spoke.

But Eggman talks all the time in Generations???

(Generations is the good Sonic game)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

yeah

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

I mean you are right in that review scores don't really mean much but Galaxy 1 and 2 are legit two of the greatest games ever made.
What is it with easy games being so great?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

What is dead may never die

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is it with easy games being so great?

lol someone didn't do that green star poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Green Stars were never hard though.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Yup. Wouldn't have said it if it twerent the case.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Those just took forever to do, which is good, since I was under no external pressure to finish it in any quick fashion.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

mind the walrus posted:

If the hedgehog had a gun this wouldn't have happened

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sounds like Big Red Button was falling apart before the game was even released

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

SL the Pyro posted:

-As stated before, it's a glitchy mess. How this can even happen with 40+ QA testers is mind-boggling.

I was one of 40+ QA testers who made a glitchy mess once before! It is a horrid, soul consuming thing. You are a grunt who is lined up in rows of testers and you are given a series of schizophrenic goals by leads and half-present management, and you report bugs, and the bugs come back as out of scope or will not fix at first, then later on the dev leads for the engineers are quietly deleting all the incoming bug reports because it is the only way they can stay on top of the next sprint, so you're sitting there and you know how much of a turd the game is but you're literally just not allowed to report on the bugs that matter and you are told to repeat basic tasks in limited portions of the game forever, and you don't even really learn what's truly wrong with the game because all of the testers have such constrained test case scenarios that they aren't ever supposed to go nuts and see what they can break just playing the game front to back.

Then you get an announcement that your department is being moved to a different building. Then half of the testers aren't there when you get moved into a squalid basement. Then you literally just go ahead and get a job in retail because it's much better for your mental well being.

So i could just take my experience and pretend it also involved listening to this game's lines over and over again.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Just wanted to pop in and say; still enjoying the cartoon!!!

Oh and yeah, the charity stream I posted a few pages back will be starting in just under four hours, you can find details in this post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608333&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post437500136 Wish us luck!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

Sounds like Big Red Button was falling apart before the game was even released

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/

Even if it isn't surprising that SEGA likely got scammed in trusting some new no-name team to fix their Sonic problem, it's still sort of sad to see that Boom turned out even worse than most people were expecting. Like I was just thinking garbage that could be repaired and not Redbutton took the money and run.

Also gently caress getting up at 7 or 6 AM for boom.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MykonosFan posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say; still enjoying the cartoon!!!

Oh and yeah, the charity stream I posted a few pages back will be starting in just under four hours, you can find details in this post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608333&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post437500136 Wish us luck!

Watching it now. After how frustrating a full let's play of the game was, its nice to actually be able to watch something and laugh out loud for a good reason.

Crabtree posted:

Even if it isn't surprising that SEGA likely got scammed in trusting some new no-name team to fix their Sonic problem, it's still sort of sad to see that Boom turned out even worse than most people were expecting. Like I was just thinking garbage that could be repaired and not Redbutton took the money and run.

I think most expectations about it were 'this might be okay, but its not gonna be great'. Which, were it not for the fact the game is a glitch riddled mess, is probably what the general impression of it would be now. But it somehow has so many issues crop up in basic functions that should have been well ironed out. I mean, some fights will trigger a cutscene that, whilst you can't move, everything else can, letting enemies wail on you and chip away at your ring count, if not outright kill you.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Sorry this is just me being stupid, but where is a link to the stream?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Astro Nut posted:

I think most expectations about it were 'this might be okay, but its not gonna be great'. Which, were it not for the fact the game is a glitch riddled mess, is probably what the general impression of it would be now. But it somehow has so many issues crop up in basic functions that should have been well ironed out. I mean, some fights will trigger a cutscene that, whilst you can't move, everything else can, letting enemies wail on you and chip away at your ring count, if not outright kill you.

I dunno when they revealed what the characters looked like I think anyone with a brain knew it was gonna be terrible.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Sonic 2 is considered more popular for some reason, so that keeps getting spiritual successors like Pocket Adventure, Advance 1, and the Sonic 4 episodes. At least the Advance series kept the different characters and their abilities.

That reason is that it sold more copies. You also have to consider the way S3K was originally realeased, it was basically one game for the price of two. I mean it's a great game, and a long game too, but there were probably a lot of people at the time who had only played one half of it. Sonic 2 has also been ported more than 3K, furthering the gap.

Sonic 2 also feels bigger than either Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles on their own, even though each stage is smaller than S3K's stages, the game was divided into more total levels than each of the subsequent games (individually). Also it had the best multiplayer of any game in the series, since you could play entire acts of the single levels.

So taken as a product, it's not surprising that Sonic 2 is held in the highest regard.

And since I'm talking about Sonic in business terms, the whole "it's only a spinoff!" excuse doesn't really work since it's still representing the Sonic brand, and the fact that Sega would approve of a product like the Sonic Boom just shows that they don't really care about the quality of their games in general.

mind the walrus posted:

Everything dead is alive, and everything dead can kill you. Welcome to Dead World.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

mycot posted:

Sorry this is just me being stupid, but where is a link to the stream?

Same. It's not in these two posts or on the gofundme page.

e: VVV thanks

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Go here for the the stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ftcr69

• Locked thread