Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Commission painting and being good at miniature painting are two totally separate skills. If you are a super talented painter you shouldn't be doing commission you should be either selling single mini's on eBay or trying to get a job working for a game studio that will pay you employee wages to paint studio schemes. Commission painting requires you to be able to paint fast and efficiently and have good skill with things like color blocking and doing really simple but effective color schemes, washes and highlights. I think this is where people get tripped up, there is a lot of money to be made doing commissioned work, but in order to make that money you need skills that aren't just "can paint a mini good". Too many people go in being like "this isn't fair, I take so long to paint minis and make poo poo money for it" when you really have no business doing that work if you can't do it fast. It's not a dis on people who are slow painters, but if someone else can do a job that's 75% as good as yours in 25% of the time you aren't going to get hired a lot even though your work is better on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Since this is now the commission painting thread I guess this might be worth contributing: Painting Commission Do's & Don'ts

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since this is now the commission painting thread I guess this might be worth contributing: Painting Commission Do's & Don'ts
"a very well-known painting service that shall remain nameless. Let's just say they have a colour and a piece of furniture in their name"
Gee, I wonder who this is about :eyeroll:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I always thought commission painting was something people did on the side for a little extra hobby dolla.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Interesting video, but pretty loving ignorant in places - 'black doesn't get shaded and white doesn't get highlighted' so don't pay extra for shades and highlights on those colours.

gently caress off.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting video, but pretty loving ignorant in places - 'black doesn't get shaded and white doesn't get highlighted' so don't pay extra for shades and highlights on those colours.

gently caress off.

How do you shade pure black/highlight pure white, though? Not being snarky, I'm just puzzled as to why you're pissed off about this particular point.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You paint in a really, really dark grey and shade with black for one, and for white you just paint in a really, really light grey or bone and highlight with pure white.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You paint black and white not by painting with black or white paint, but by starting with a dark base coat (or light base coat, depending) and shading/highlighting as normal. Painting black/white by just... applying black or white paint... looks bad.

It's amazing the differences in tone you can get in a white mini when you start with a bone base coat versus a light blue versus a grey, and in a black mini when you start with a deep, saturated green, brown, red, or grey.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
The way I've always painted black was to start with black, then do highlights with various shades of gray (number of highlights & lightness of color depending on the effect desired), and I've always painted "pure white" as basically the inverse: focusing more on the shading and not so much the highlighting (like with the white armor parts on Biel-Tan Eldar, for example). That was my approach years before I'd even heard of Doc Faust's Painting Clinic, so while I see where you guys are coming from, I kind of agree with what he says, too. Different (brush) strokes and all that. v:shobon:v

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

HiveCommander posted:

"a very well-known painting service that shall remain nameless. Let's just say they have a colour and a piece of furniture in their name"
Gee, I wonder who this is about :eyeroll:

the guy who had the chaos dwarf army actually posted a final update a few days back. The long and the short of it is, the only thing they kept on the table was an offer to take the army back and fix it up, which he refused because they failed to fix it about 4 times the first time, were late and he just didn't trust them anymore. So he's fixing it himself and putting the whole episode behind him.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
No he's not. Another commission service has offered to bring the army up to spec.

Their touched up mini on the left, BTP on the right.

He's pursuing legal action against BTP and has tried using a credit card chargeback to get a full refund. The bank has advised BTP to settle independently and they have refused. He has also hired a lawyer to recover payments, if BTP continue to refuse to refund him.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Daedleh posted:

No he's not. Another commission service has offered to bring the army up to spec.

ah OK, getting it fixed independent of BTP then I guess

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The way I've always painted black was to start with black, then do highlights with various shades of gray (number of highlights & lightness of color depending on the effect desired), and I've always painted "pure white" as basically the inverse: focusing more on the shading and not so much the highlighting (like with the white armor parts on Biel-Tan Eldar, for example). That was my approach years before I'd even heard of Doc Faust's Painting Clinic, so while I see where you guys are coming from, I kind of agree with what he says, too. Different (brush) strokes and all that. v:shobon:v

No, painting that way produces the same results only if your "highlights" for black actually get down to the point they're also providing the midtone, and only if your "shading" for white also gets up to the point where you're providing the midtone. At which point you've put in the same amount of effort as you would for painting any other color.

The question is, should you pay just as much for highlighting/shading black and white as you would for color? And the answer is, unequivocally, if you want good results, you definitely should. Base white or base black with just a single shade/single highlight does not look good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Daedleh posted:

He's pursuing legal action against BTP and has tried using a credit card chargeback to get a full refund. The bank has advised BTP to settle independently and they have refused. He has also hired a lawyer to recover payments, if BTP continue to refuse to refund him.

Note the "Ronald McDonald" color scheme on the horns of the BTP mini, which were nowhere specified in the guy's original request. :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I like how just filling in details and adding blood splatter makes them a drat sight better than BTP.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Leperflesh posted:

No, painting that way produces the same results only if your "highlights" for black actually get down to the point they're also providing the midtone, and only if your "shading" for white also gets up to the point where you're providing the midtone. At which point you've put in the same amount of effort as you would for painting any other color.

The question is, should you pay just as much for highlighting/shading black and white as you would for color? And the answer is, unequivocally, if you want good results, you definitely should. Base white or base black with just a single shade/single highlight does not look good.

Fair enough, and truthfully I don't tend to paint white or black very often these days, so I might have to give some other techniques a try next time and see how they work out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Daedleh posted:

BTP, we have airbrushes and know how to use them (mostly, well sort of...)

Yikes, that is some "Oh poo poo I have a tournament tomorrow and need 700 more points of models" paint job right there, only barely table-top quality.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Fair enough, and truthfully I don't tend to paint white or black very often these days, so I might have to give some other techniques a try next time and see how they work out.

It's not so much the technique as the total amount of effort. I think you're right that there are different approaches that can look good! But low-effort will always look low-effort, there's not a cheap shortcut just because you wanted white or black vs. some other color.

If you're OK with a mini that has just a basecoat and highlight or just a basecoat and shade, that's fine, it can work for tabletop-quality troops. If you wanted full base/shade/highlight quality, you'll want it for whites and blacks too. You're probably producing exactly that result, even if you're starting with a pure black or pure white basecoat; you're just pulling your shading/highlighting down farther on the concave/convex surfaces, using multiple shade/highlight passes rather than just one.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Leperflesh posted:

If you're OK with a mini that has just a basecoat and highlight or just a basecoat and shade, that's fine, it can work for tabletop-quality troops.

Now you mention it, I do think the last time I painted troops with large amounts of black or white on 'em was when I used to be heavily into 40k, and was painting Black Templars and/or Biel-Tan Eldar. So yeah, I think my approach was more about "get these rank and file guys done" and not so much about getting a high-quality job done.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Paint chat? I love paint chat.

I found a hack with white paint- oil washes. Thanks to oils you can shade it just like you would a any other color, meaning you need way less steps between bone and pure white.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
As someone who knows BTP is poo poo, that "upgrade" looks horrible. Sure, just slap on blood spatter without regard to the lines of the figure or whether the placement makes sense. Make everything all gritty and grubby even though it'll just look like bad paint from tabletop distance.

Edit: I mean, they actually painted in details which is important, but the new scheme is just too visually busy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

An Angry Bug posted:

As someone who knows BTP is poo poo, that "upgrade" looks horrible. Sure, just slap on blood spatter without regard to the lines of the figure or whether the placement makes sense. Make everything all gritty and grubby even though it'll just look like bad paint from tabletop distance.

Edit: I mean, they actually painted in details which is important, but the new scheme is just too visually busy.

I agree 100%, though at least the other service gave the guy what he actually wanted (even if it does look janky as hell), instead of just doing less than the bare minimum like BTP did.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At the very loving least the skulls are all painted skull color.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Considering the guy having this all done uses nude models as counts-as slaves and tokens, I wouldn't be surprised if he also specifically requested something as juvenile as that.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Equally hilarious/disturbing is that those godawful titty models were given the most attention by the BTP guys, and are the best painted ones in the group.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Does anyone make "proper" female slaves anyway? That is, not titty harem models but malnourished wretches in rags/chains, that you'd possibly see run in chains after an evil army.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Hra Mormo posted:

Considering the guy having this all done uses nude models as counts-as slaves and tokens, I wouldn't be surprised if he also specifically requested something as juvenile as that.

he did ask for heavy blood splatter

and the slaves are loving nasty, I like to think that the original terrible paint job was due to a female project manager who took offense at them and made sure they were the only decent looking models just to spite him

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Feel free to keep believing that and not some nerd spent 2 weeks lovingly painting tiny metal titties then the next 6 months masturbating to them while half-assing the rest of the project.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

You paint in a really, really dark grey and shade with black for one, and for white you just paint in a really, really light grey or bone and highlight with pure white.

Speaking of this, I'm thinking up a Teutonic Knight inspired scheme and want to use dark grey, would shading it with a dark blue instead also work? It's more "comic book", but that's fine by me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes, it would. Painting with dark blue and shading it with black, also.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

Does anyone make "proper" female slaves anyway? That is, not titty harem models but malnourished wretches in rags/chains, that you'd possibly see run in chains after an evil army.

No, that's what male slaves are gor.

E: Gonna leave that typo

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daedleh posted:

The blood is a bit much for my tastes, but drat does filling in the details make the model pop more. Hell, they even painted the metal parts metal instead of grey drybrush (if that).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I can't get over how bad the lava OSL looks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The discussion about that Land Raider has made me want to finally start painting mine and see if I can do a better job than that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Somebody needs to do a 'thin your paints' style montage to the BTP images

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Somebody needs to do a 'thin your paints' style montage to the BTP images

I elect SRM.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I don't think that ether paint job is very nice but I don't go for the grimderp aesthetic anyway so even the "fixed" model would go straight into the simple green bath.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The "fixed" one is basically what he asked for, with the bloodbath on the first rank of troops. I personally think it looks like rear end, but giving the client what he wants isn't something to fault them for.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Especially if you're just fixing models someone else has done work on. The new studio is pretty much stuck with them looking kinda sub par because BTP is lazy and so they didn't really think about color blocking a color scheme arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

no dessert til he finishes his battle report :colbert: