Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fong posted:

They really (like really really) need to do several small patches of their games rather than one big patch.

There are a bunch of bugs that are in BG2EE that they've fixed in IWDEE. Why they're still sitting on these fixes rather than pushing them out as small patches is beyond me.

It probably has to do with App Store verification. Sure, they could push out a bunch of small changes to Steam, but the iOS App Store isn't built for those kinds of updates. And as bad as the waiting for patches is, the outcry about not getting patches on what's probably their most popular platforms would be WORSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
At least most of us aren't playing BG2EE on Mac. Beamdog still hasn't released even BG2EE patch 1.2 on the Mac App Store.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Airfoil posted:

I'm assuming he didn't actually confirm they're planning to do EE versions of Planescape and IWD2.

No confirm, no deny, just clear about BG2EE bugs bring their focus now...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Draile posted:

I would pay full price for an iOS port of Planescape that did nothing but improve the resolution.

Me too. IWD on iPad has impressed me so much in how perfect it is on this device that I'll likely buy BG2 if/when it goes on sale, and IWD2 and Planescape would be day 1 buys as well.

I own bg1 and 2EE on PC and bg1EE on Android so I wish there was some way of getting it cheap/free if you already own it on another system.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Planescape is also the obvious candidate for a Story difficulty that sets all your stats to 18 or 25 to make the terrible combat more tolerable.

Yep, this is how I'd love to do alternative runs through the game. Good idea.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 14, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Yep, this is how I'd love to do alternative runs through the game. Good idea.

I can't imagine that Planescape wasn't the thing they had in mind when they added story mode to IWD, really. It's a ridiculously obvious change for a PS:T EE because everyone mentions how bad PS:T's combat is.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I can't imagine that Planescape wasn't the thing they had in mind when they added story mode to IWD, really. It's a ridiculously obvious change for a PS:T EE because everyone mentions how bad PS:T's combat is.

Yeah, it was baffling to include it in IWD. It's a decent story don't get me wrong, but it's ancillary to the main point of the game.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Zilkin posted:

At least most of us aren't playing BG2EE on Mac. Beamdog still hasn't released even BG2EE patch 1.2 on the Mac App Store.

BG2EE on iOS still has a game-breaking bug that makes the illusory werewolves in Aerie's tent instant-kill you. Also, the quest prevents you from leaving the tent.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

And here I'm still waiting on BG2:EE for android. Sigh.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone know how high you need to have diplomacy, bluff and intimidate for all the talking checks for IWD2? I'm planning on doing a roguer/fighter thiefling who mainly just talks in the frontline while being able to stay alive a bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iretep posted:

Anyone know how high you need to have diplomacy, bluff and intimidate for all the talking checks for IWD2? I'm planning on doing a roguer/fighter thiefling who mainly just talks in the frontline while being able to stay alive a bit.

A quick look through a conversation skill check list (with massive spoilers, so I only skimmed the numbers) made it look like bluff and intimidate top out at 16 and diplomacy topped at 17. I might have missed something though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I guess with that much points needed a rogue/fighter won't cut it. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iretep posted:

I guess with that much points needed a rogue/fighter won't cut it. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Those checks aren't going to be until towards the end of the game. You might try a human sorcerer, since you can leave int at 10 and get 3 points per level up, and you'll be pumping Charisma so much you won't have to actually put all your points into just conversation skills.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From my experience playing IWD1 and baldurs gate games I've learned that making your diplomat a frontliner makes the whole talking bit a lot simpler so I'm trying to avoid making him a pure sorcerer.
Edit: Welp seems like you need 14 int, 14 wis and 16 charisma for talking so I guess it'll be some sort of sorcerer.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 14, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Or be like me and roll in the 90s after about 15 seconds and end up with a superhuman Totemic Druid with 18 str, dex and charismawho becomes your front-runner for combat and conversions...

I did gently caress up on this intelligence as a dump stat thing in that some of my characters can not read our use scrolls... What's the int minimum for this?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

BadAstronaut posted:

Or be like me and roll in the 90s after about 15 seconds and end up with a superhuman Totemic Druid with 18 str, dex and charismawho becomes your front-runner for combat and conversions...

I did gently caress up on this intelligence as a dump stat thing in that some of my characters can not read our use scrolls... What's the int minimum for this?

9 minimum or you're illiterate

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's talking about IWD2, which uses a point buy system and no rolling for stats.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Skwirl posted:

He's talking about IWD2, which uses a point buy system and no rolling for stats.

That's the thing with IWD2. I understand on an intellectual level that point buy makes for a better game, but on an emotional level nothing beats that feeling you get when you hit a 90+ roll.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
IWD2s point buy system is stupidly broken though. Only game that has a more broken one is temple of elemental evil.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Iretep posted:

IWD2s point buy system is stupidly broken though. Only game that has a more broken one is temple of elemental evil.

TOEE has an okay point buy system. The problem is that it's bugged so you can go all 18, but that's not by design like IWD2 is.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm talking about iwd1ee. Is there any way without cheating to get +1 int to get it up to 9?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm talking about iwd1ee. Is there any way without cheating to get +1 int to get it up to 9?

There's potions that can do it temporarily, otherwise you're going to have to cheat. If IWD:EE keeps all the BG1EE items in the easiest way would be to cheat yourself the one of the stat raising tomes. Otherwise, I don't know if it's been ported yet, but EEKeeper is probably your best bet.

I don't actually know if 9 int is a requirement to read priest scrolls, it definitely is to read mage ones, but druids can't do that anyways. Get your hand on a scroll of cure light wounds to check. If you also have a cleric, I wouldn't worry about it anyways, scroll reading isn't that important to priests except that having a couple raise dead or resurrection scrolls means you can use your high level slots for other things and not necessarily have to wander back to a safe rest place anytime someone bites it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Skwirl posted:

There's potions that can do it temporarily, otherwise you're going to have to cheat. If IWD:EE keeps all the BG1EE items in the easiest way would be to cheat yourself the one of the stat raising tomes. Otherwise, I don't know if it's been ported yet, but EEKeeper is probably your best bet.

I don't actually know if 9 int is a requirement to read priest scrolls, it definitely is to read mage ones, but druids can't do that anyways. Get your hand on a scroll of cure light wounds to check. If you also have a cleric, I wouldn't worry about it anyways, scroll reading isn't that important to priests except that having a couple raise dead or resurrection scrolls means you can use your high level slots for other things and not necessarily have to wander back to a safe rest place anytime someone bites it.

yeah, just fix that in EE. cheating happens in multiplayer.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Does anyone know how to stop the apparent bug where turning undead stops instantly and you basically can't use it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I finally installed the bg I & II copies I got from gog years ago and I'm back to having a blast. I'm really a fan of some of the ease of use improvements in the tweak pack. Setup was a breeze too. We've come a long way from the last time I tried to do all that.

So yeah, great stuff.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

BadAstronaut posted:

Does anyone know how to stop the apparent bug where turning undead stops instantly and you basically can't use it?

I think that's a party AI issue. Try turning it off and see if that helps.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I first played BG2 14 years ago and I just now discovered that you can talk to Kveroslava, the Rom fortune teller in Trademeet, with different NPCs and get all of their fortunes told too (before approaching her with your PC anyway, once you do that she's too freaked out by your fortune to read any others). To Beamdog's credit, the new NPCs all have fortunes too!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't get this bug. Actions other than movement turn it off though so maybe check that the character's script isn't causing them to do something?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

anime tupac posted:

I first played BG2 14 years ago and I just now discovered that you can talk to Kveroslava, the Rom fortune teller in Trademeet, with different NPCs and get all of their fortunes told too (before approaching her with your PC anyway, once you do that she's too freaked out by your fortune to read any others). To Beamdog's credit, the new NPCs all have fortunes too!

Wait, WHAT? Can someone post them??

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Iretep posted:

Are you kidding? The previous Infinity Engine games have the most broken point buy system. Sure, you appear to be rolling for stats in chargen, but what you are truly rolling for is a set of points you use for point buy. I think systems where you are given a set of points where higher stats are progressively more expensive is best (like in say NWN2), but IWD2 appears outright balanced compared to the BG series or IWD1.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Comstar posted:

Wait, WHAT? Can someone post them??

For most of my party, she just said they didn't have a very exciting future and gave a refund. :(

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

From my experience playing IWD1 and baldurs gate games I've learned that making your diplomat a frontliner makes the whole talking bit a lot simpler so I'm trying to avoid making him a pure sorcerer.
Edit: Welp seems like you need 14 int, 14 wis and 16 charisma for talking so I guess it'll be some sort of sorcerer.
Paladin is also good for this, the 2e games auto-roll you a 17 in CHA for Paladins and they have reasonably high base wisdom requirements too.

You might have to skimp a little on dex and con to get decent int, but IIRC the limit for con +hp for non-Fighters is 2 (which I think is 16?), so all it affects is Raise Dead chance, I think.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm playing IWD2 so 2nd edition advice isn't going to help much.

My partys finally done anyway:

Talker is a pure drow sorcerer with 20 int and charisma
Cleric is a drow with 18 str and 18 wisdom.
Two half-orc barbarians for the punching.
The wizard drow is going to also be the trap finder and archer. 20 in dex and int.
Then finally a paladin because I want to use the token paladin weapon.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

jBrereton posted:

Paladin is also good for this, the 2e games auto-roll you a 17 in CHA for Paladins and they have reasonably high base wisdom requirements too.

You might have to skimp a little on dex and con to get decent int, but IIRC the limit for con +hp for non-Fighters is 2 (which I think is 16?), so all it affects is Raise Dead chance, I think.

Fighters, Paladins, Rangers and Barbarians do get more hp from CON. All others cap at 16 (+2).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Disco Infiva posted:

Fighters, Paladins, Rangers and Barbarians do get more hp from CON. All others cap at 16 (+2).
Note that in IWD there are items (e.g. Ring of Intelligence) or potions (e.g. Potion of Life Transference) that subtract from your Con and add to other stats. Having a higher Con can thus be beneficial. (Same applies in BG1 with the Claw of Kazgaroth and in BG2 where you can sacrifice a point of Con with no negative side effects in the dream.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iretep posted:

I'm playing IWD2 so 2nd edition advice isn't going to help much.

My partys finally done anyway:

Talker is a pure drow sorcerer with 20 int and charisma
Cleric is a drow with 18 str and 18 wisdom.
Two half-orc barbarians for the punching.
The wizard drow is going to also be the trap finder and archer. 20 in dex and int.
Then finally a paladin because I want to use the token paladin weapon.

I've never gotten very far in IWD2, but why 20 int on your sorcerer. You got the three talking skills and then spellcraft and concentration, what else do you need skill points for? Int won't affect your spellcasting at all.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Where is the ring of intelligence in IWD? Could really do with that...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There isn't a ring that raises your intelligence (unless they added one in the EE). If you mean the ring that increases your mage spell slots, Kontik has it in the frost giant cave.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

There isn't a ring that raises your intelligence (unless they added one in the EE). If you mean the ring that increases your mage spell slots, Kontik has it in the frost giant cave.

I think there's a ring that rises intelligence by one and lowers constitution by 1 as random loot in the severed hand

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I've never gotten very far in IWD2, but why 20 int on your sorcerer. You got the three talking skills and then spellcraft and concentration, what else do you need skill points for? Int won't affect your spellcasting at all.

I'm basing that sorcerer on a power gamer build from gamefaqs. The build puts 20 points into knowledge arcana as well, which saves time on identifying stuff. Theres no real reason to go to 20 int over say 18 I think. There just no reason not to. You don't have enough points to get decent STR or DEX anyway so might as well make him a talker/bomber/bard/skillmonkey hyprid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iretep posted:

I'm basing that sorcerer on a power gamer build from gamefaqs. The build puts 20 points into knowledge arcana as well, which saves time on identifying stuff. Theres no real reason to go to 20 int over say 18 I think. There just no reason not to. You don't have enough points to get decent STR or DEX anyway so might as well make him a talker/bomber/bard/skillmonkey hyprid.

2 extra points in strength let's you carry heavier stuff, and 2 extra points in dexterity always improves AC by one if you aren't wearing armor. Also 20 Charisma gives you +5 to all the talking skills and your CHA will be significantly higher before you get to the point where there's skill checks at 17, so you aren't actually going to need to put as many skill points into them as you think.