Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I would have been way happier if, rather than giving us the schmaltzy (and yet too-brief) reunion with Daddy and Murphy, he instead continues to fall forward into the funky weirdness of the interior of the black hole, learning from his first experience as a manipulator of gravity and eventually becoming some hyperdimensional Azathoth being who is no longer able to relate to the earlier version of himself or his fellow humans and thus needs the earlier version of himself as his own bridge

oh wait that's p much 2001/2010 never mind i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

Shaocaholica posted:

I have to watch the mvoie again when they explain the fertilized eggs part. I don't recall anything about artificial wombs. However, I'm totally down for a sad melancholy movie about Hathaway and Case makin babbys. Case would be a cool parent figure. Maybe not as cool as Tars though.

Yeah this is the part of the movie that I need to see again or to get some sort of confirmation. I'm pretty sure they had some sort of artificial womb device because the only alternative is to get Brand to give birth to a bunch of females who would then also use the fertilized eggs. They would need the eggs as well as the sperm otherwise they would all have Brand's mitochondrial DNA.

Overall I don't see how it could be done without artificial wombs and it doesn't make sense to put so much pressure on one crew member. Does anybody know how close we are these days to being able to make artificial wombs?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The exowombs were all kept in a dehydrated "JUST ADD WATER!" state or maybe they were inflatable!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The wombs are all inside the robots.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
SO i went back and read some of the earlier posts. I didn't get the bookshelf, and have never seen 2001. I get the reference, but I don't think it makes any sense within the movie. Why would he go THERE of all places? Why would he choose THAT TIME of all times? Why not earlier? Why not later? Why not contact Brand?

It just seems weird for him to do the impossible, and find out he's....there. I get everything else, its pretty cool, but that part really threw me for a loop.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jastiger posted:

SO i went back and read some of the earlier posts. I didn't get the bookshelf, and have never seen 2001. I get the reference, but I don't think it makes any sense within the movie. Why would he go THERE of all places? Why would he choose THAT TIME of all times? Why not earlier? Why not later? Why not contact Brand?

It just seems weird for him to do the impossible, and find out he's....there. I get everything else, its pretty cool, but that part really threw me for a loop.
As has been covered in the thread multiple times, it's a causal loop. Coop didn't choose that room and neither did the space wizard future humans. It was that room because it had to be, it always was.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bawfuls posted:

As has been covered in the thread multiple times, it's a causal loop. Coop didn't choose that room and neither did the space wizard future humans. It was that room because it had to be, it always was.

I don't understand.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Or to put it another way, that's what they wrote in the script.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The more I think about it I didn't particularly enjoy McConaughey in this movie. And I loved him in Killer Joe, True Detective, Mud, Bernie... pretty much everything else he's done in the last few years. It's not his fault, it's Nolan's. Cooper is a bland character and they're too invested in making him an iconic "everyman".

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jastiger posted:

“Now we’re just here to be memories for our kids."
"Once you're a parent, you're the ghost of your children's future"

“You don’t understand, these are moments that I regret. They’re memories I have to change.”

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jastiger posted:

I don't understand.

A causal loop is like circular logic. It has to happen that way because that is the way it happened.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flesh Forge posted:

That's quite literally it. The "script" of the universe is already written and it says that in 20xx a "ghost" pushes off young Murph's books, says "Stay", etc. When you go back in time, you have to stick to the script.

Compare with Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen - "We're all puppets, I just see the strings."

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I missed some of the dialogue, but when Cooper was being interrogated, did he say that those Monolith robot things were used as soldiers during the wars?

The robots were what I loved most about the movie, the most inventive design I've ever seen that also made sense.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jastiger posted:

Because whatever being/s* created the wormhole had to find the precise point in time that time travel would work and allow them to save humanity, and the only bond that could be strong enough to create time travel was Coop's love for his daughter, because love is gravity and it's stronger than space and time. Nowhere else but that room and that bookshelf would two people have been able to communicate gravitational black hole theory between dimensions using morse code on an old watch that looks broken.

*Tars

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I missed some of the dialogue, but when Cooper was being interrogated, did he say that those Monolith robot things were used as soldiers during the wars?

The robots were what I loved most about the movie, the most inventive design I've ever seen that also made sense.

Yeah, he said that they were used in squads (so it wasn't a pure robot army but integrated with humans too).

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm trying to imagine what they could do. I'm sure they're probably bullet proof but unless they had missiles in them at some point I doubt it would be THAT effective to just have them rolling around bashing people/other robots

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Idunno, I can imagine few things being more demoralizing than seeing a battalion of those blocks galloping/pinwheeling at you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
This thread is mostly terrible but it has made me check out some sci fi movies I slept on.

Moon is loving dope.

Signs is terrible. I grew up thinking his was hailed as a great classic and it's so bad. The dialogue is really weird and the comedic moments are so strange.

I watched that one someone mentioned about being low budget and like landing on Venus. That was nothing special, imo.

Top tier scifi imo:

2001 (my fav movie of all time)
Sunshine
Interstellar
Gravity
Moon

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Causal Loop Question: I'm aware of the concept, but something always bothered me about them. Since people are actively discussing them in this thread, I figure now is a good time to bring it up. Doesn't there have to be a first/original timeline that occurs prior to the loop starting? In the original timeline of humanity humans had to get far enough in the future to actually create time travel for the first time. Only then do they intervene, creating a causal loop, and from then on the loop always exists. What about that original timeline? What happens to it after you create the loop? Is it deleted forever because you've altered the past? Does it instantly poof out of existence? Does matter poof out of existence, as in if the loops ends up altering the timeline so some people who exist right before the invention of time travel would not exist, do they disappear? In terms of apocalypse scenario stories-- is it correct to think that also means that in prevent the apocalypse, some facet of life had to survive the original cataclysmic event anyway to make it far enough to create time travel/the loop, and thus alter reality to save everyone? In this movie, that could just be that Plan B ends up working, but everyone on Earth dies in the original timeline, until the causal loop is created, which changes reality and saves the people on Earth?

I feel like Primer actually answers this question, since you can trace them going back each time, and its clear that they are actually bringing new matter back in time with them (they end up having a million copies of themselves eventually). They actually have to keep their old selfs knocked out/drugged to not mess with things, so nothing poofs out of existence or anything like that. Although in that movie conservation of matter principles are violated which is not really explained. . This explanation is not taken in any other movies I've seen with time travel though, and they just choose to never mention the original timeline.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 15, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

speshl guy posted:

I'm trying to imagine what they could do. I'm sure they're probably bullet proof but unless they had missiles in them at some point I doubt it would be THAT effective to just have them rolling around bashing people/other robots

TARS did tase the gently caress out of Cooper when he first arrives at the NASA base, so I assume there's internal weapons compartments that open up. Think along the lines of an XCOM cyberdisk.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Doesn't there have to be a first/original timeline that occurs prior to the loop starting?

No. The theory is that if causal loops are possible the universe essentially self-organizes into creating them. There's not multiple timelines, just one timeline in which some of the causal interactions include the future influencing the past.

Consider the example from wikipedia:

quote:

In response, another physicist named Joseph Polchinski sent them a letter in which he argued that one could avoid questions of free will by considering a potentially paradoxical situation involving a billiard ball sent through a wormhole which sends it back in time. In this scenario, the ball is fired into a wormhole at an angle such that, if it continues along that path, it will exit the wormhole in the past at just the right angle to collide with its earlier self, thereby knocking it off course and preventing it from entering the wormhole in the first place. Thorne deemed this problem "Polchinski's paradox".

After considering the problem, two students at Caltech (where Thorne taught), Fernando Echeverria and Gunnar Klinkhammer, were able to find a solution beginning with the original billiard ball trajectory proposed by Polchinski which managed to avoid any inconsistencies. In this situation, the billiard ball emerges from the future at a different angle than the one used to generate the paradox, and delivers its younger self a glancing blow instead of knocking it completely away from the wormhole, a blow which changes its trajectory in just the right way so that it will travel back in time with the angle required to deliver its younger self this glancing blow.

Note that this doesn't rely on an original timeline, nor could it even be explained by rules which depended on multiple timelines. The billiard ball comes out of the wormhole at the right angle to generate its own trajectory the "first" time and it has to work the first time or it wouldn't work in future "iterations."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Saul Goode posted:

Because whatever being/s* created the wormhole had to find the precise point in time that time travel would work and allow them to save humanity, and the only bond that could be strong enough to create time travel was Coop's love for his daughter, because love is gravity and it's stronger than space and time. Nowhere else but that room and that bookshelf would two people have been able to communicate gravitational black hole theory between dimensions using morse code on an old watch that looks broken.

*Tars

Why does this have to be the case?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

For anyone who might consider buying the 16-track OST which comes out next week; it misses a few fairly prominent pieces of music from the film, like the music from the docking sequence, which are only going to be included on the 28-track special edition which is released in December.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

twoot posted:

For anyone who might consider buying the 16-track OST which comes out next week; it misses a few fairly prominent pieces of music from the film, like the music from the docking sequence, which are only going to be included on the 28-track special edition which is released in December.

Can you clarify? I have a 23 track deluxe version pre-ordered on iTunes that comes out on the 18th of November

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flesh Forge posted:

This is a lazy answer, though tautologically true.

Causal loops are a real theoretical concept. We are used to cause always preceding effect and our brains are evolved to think that way, but it is theoretically possible that some causes and effects are simultaneous or some cause-->effect motions happen in opposition to the "normal" flow of time as we experience it. This may indeed cause paradoxes like closed loops that hurt our monkey brains, but that doesn't mean it's not true. We can't really fathom infinity or nothingness or the speed of light, either, among other things.

The causal loop in the movie is a good example. there is no "first time" through to the 5d critters any more than your kitchen is "before" your bedroom, they all exist at the same time in different places. sort of.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Can you clarify? I have a 23 track deluxe version pre-ordered on iTunes that comes out on the 18th of November

Oh, so there are 3 releases. 16, 23 "deluxe", and 28 track "special".

What I know is that the 16 track is :filez: now and misses a few pieces like I said. I didn't realise that there were two other editions.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

twoot posted:

Docking sequence meaning the post Matt Damon spinning scene? That music was ridiculously loud in our theater and downright amazing. It was some of the best poo poo I've ever heard and was beyond exhilarating.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trent posted:

Causal loops are a real theoretical concept. We are used to cause always preceding effect and our brains are evolved to think that way, but it is theoretically possible that some causes and effects are simultaneous or some cause-->effect motions happen in opposition to the "normal" flow of time as we experience it. This may indeed cause paradoxes like closed loops that hurt our monkey brains, but that doesn't mean it's not true. We can't really fathom infinity or nothingness or the speed of light, either, among other things.

The causal loop in the movie is a good example. there is no "first time" through to the 5d critters any more than your kitchen is "before" your bedroom, they all exist at the same time in different places. sort of.

The good thing about causal loops is that they also preserve matter and energy - at least looking at it from a fourth dimensional perspective.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005

twoot posted:

Oh, so there are 3 releases. 16, 23 "deluxe", and 28 track "special".

What I know is that the 16 track is :filez: now and misses a few pieces like I said. I didn't realise that there were two other editions.

Not having the docking music on the normal release is devious...that's probably the track I was looking forward to most.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Trent posted:

This thread is starting to remind me of the Terminator one. :tinfoil:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Just saw this last night. It was better than Gravity, which I found unwatchable, but still a really terrible movie. A shame, because the first act was extraordinarily moving and depressing - the most vivid prediction of our most likely future I've seen. Murph and Cooper's relationship was also quite pretty compelling at first.

Then we were told that NASA had built a space habitat...underground. Not in orbit, literally underground. With no way of getting it airborne. To keep it secret, you see.That was the moment I knew something was up, because that is a hilariously, bizarrely inconceivable premise, and as the rescue vehicle for humanity it functions pretty importantly in the plot.

Nonetheless, I was still engrossed and enjoying myself right up until they entered the wormhole. The remaining two thirds of the movie were garbled gibberish. Nothing made sense, not a drat thing. All of the problems were fabricated, nonsensical, the decisions made by gibbering simians in place of the people who had been presented to us as professionals. Sending 75% of the crew down a huge gravity well (ie: totally unsuitable as relocation planet by default) without even probing first! And then Matt Damon's undefinable Space Crazy and violence - so predictable and so already-been-done-better so many times and so drawn out. And docking sequences! Three of them! I had to spend at least thirty whole minutes of my life trying to care about watching low-res CGI machine genitalia probe at each other while Zimmer turns the turgid organ progressions up to 11. And why with the omnipresent and ever-pretentious organ? Oh, because Strauss used it in Also Sprach, which is forever associated with 2001, which this movie desperately, pathetically tries to emulate at every turn.

Anyways, it fails at that and then additionally sucks a lot more for a lot longer. Whole lotta cliches ("Eureka! Eureka!!!") and magic in place of an ending. Mercifully, they spared us an explanation/scene of Murph actually getting that O'Neil habitat out of the loving ground and into orbit around Saturn and left it at 'Gravity and love can transcend time and space!'. Not enough to get actually get Cooper back in time though for any of Murph's life though, which they totally could have done what with the space magic rulebook this script uses. He arbitrarily shows up just in time to watch his daughter die, an extraordinarily unsatisfying conclusion to the only semi-competently written relationship in the movie.

Shucks. I really enjoyed Inception, and Sunshine is one of my favorite movies of all time - this could have been the best of both worlds. Instead it's a garbled, flaccid 2001 with soap opera cliches in place of 20 minutes of fractal psychedelia.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Every time someone says Matt Damon is "Space Crazy" I know that they don't know what they're talking about.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

computer parts posted:

Every time someone says Matt Damon is "Space Crazy" I know that they don't know what they're talking about.

Well, that's a bit of an antagonistic non-starter. I don't care how you particularly describe him, to me he was a shallow pastiche of sci-fi cliches in place of an actual character with actual motivations, and I found his entire arc to be predictable, unnecessary, and boring. It was like the movie just stopped randomly for an hour for a badly done 4th-wall breaking cameo. He could have been cut entirely, the time used for more development of actual characters or even more scenes of extreme docking and it would have been a better movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I like "why don't they just probe the planet?" Because we all know that all "hard" scifi uses the Starfleet Commander rules.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

splifyphus posted:

Well, that's a bit of an antagonistic non-starter. I don't care how you particularly describe him, to me he was a shallow pastiche of sci-fi cliches in place of an actual character with actual motivations, and I found his entire arc to be predictable, unnecessary, and boring. It was like the movie just stopped randomly for an hour for a badly done 4th-wall breaking cameo. He could have been cut entirely, the time used for more development of actual characters or even more scenes of extreme docking and it would have been a better movie.

I bet you're just the life of the party everywhere you go.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

PeterWeller posted:

I like "why don't they just probe the planet?" Because we all know that all "hard" sci-fi uses the Starfleet Commander rules.

We probed Mars first, with a robot. A much shittier robot than the ones in this movie. Nobody died. It's not habitable.

Cole posted:

I bet you're just the life of the party everywhere you go.

I have no friends and am waiting to die.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trent posted:

On the other hand it's (to me) a pretty cliched time travel fiction conceit, and I tend to roll my eyes when it is employed. When a film like Source Code comes along and does something novel with time travel it's great, whether or not it's 100% in step with current theories I don't really care too much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

splifyphus posted:

We probed Mars first, with a robot. A much shittier robot than the ones in this movie. Nobody died. It's not habitable.

They sent a probe with a human and the human indicated that it was fine.

Flesh Forge posted:

On the other hand it's (to me) a pretty cliched time travel fiction conceit, and I tend to roll my eyes when it is employed. When a film like Source Code comes along and does something novel with time travel it's great, whether or not it's 100% in step with current theories I don't really care too much.

It shows up way less often than alternate realities (see: the people here trying to justify the story with an alternate reality scenario).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm. I liked the movie but just felt like it was deus ex machina with him.showing up when he did. A great movie I really liked. Just feel like that part of it was just magic ed in. Especially the ending outside of Saturn. That makes LESS sense
Anyone explain that part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Is it implied that Coop is going to find Brand and plug her? .

• Locked thread