Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

no no no you can like Fusion, it's a pretty well-made, fun, polished game. I like Fusion.

but the only game better than Super Metroid is MAYBE Metroid Zero Mission. That's just The Truth.

Both of those Metroid games had unused assets from a Wario game in the secret debug rooms. Think about it, what's considered the best of the modern Metroids would not exist if it were not for Wario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Both of those Metroid games had unused assets from a Wario game in the secret debug rooms. Think about it, Metroid would not exist if it were not for Wario.

only Fusion and Zero had Wario assets because they all ran on the same engine. Super is not so... afflicted.

I mean I love Wario Land 2 as much as the next guy but

yeah

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

The Taint Reaper posted:

Both of those Metroid games had unused assets from a Wario game in the secret debug rooms. Think about it, what's considered the best of the modern Metroids would not exist if it were not for Wario.

Actually, Metroid Prime is not related to Wario.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Metroid is garbage compared to Wario, as are most things

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Proposition Joe posted:

Actually, Metroid Prime is not related to Wario.

There's probably fan art out that says you're wrong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Obey Wario. Destroy Mario.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's probably fan art out that says you're wrong.

I think someone had an avatar of Wario raping Zero Suit Samus, so you're right! :suicide:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I wish I was Wario IRL.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Neo Rasa posted:

Obey Wario. Destroy Mario.

This guy's right.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think someone had an avatar of Wario raping Zero Suit Samus, so you're right! :suicide:

This is wrong. :cry:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoctorWhat posted:

no no no you can like Fusion, it's a pretty well-made, fun, polished game. I like Fusion.

but the only game better than Super Metroid is MAYBE Metroid Zero Mission. That's just The Truth.

Uh, Metroid Prime? Hello?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Everyone in here is disrespecting Metroid Prime. If the WiiU Metroid is 2.5D and we never get another first person Metroid game then this universe is hell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RyokoTK posted:

Uh, Metroid Prime? Hello?

Metroid Prime is also Really Really Great but it doesn't have the Shinespark and that's a goddamn shame :\

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Proposition Joe posted:

Everyone in here is disrespecting Metroid Prime. If the WiiU Metroid is 2.5D and we never get another first person Metroid game then this universe is hell.

Other: M U

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Proposition Joe posted:

Eh, the way the Prime franchise went after the first game, I wouldn't be too upset with that decision. I don't think the world is ready for any more meandering, mostly-aimless FPS games.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

RyokoTK posted:

Eh, the way the Prime franchise went after the first game, I wouldn't be too upset with that decision. I don't think the world is ready for any more meandering, mostly-aimless FPS games.

Yes, what the world needs is more 2D retro platformers instead.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Proposition Joe posted:

Yes, what the world needs is more 2D retro platformers instead.

I would be thoroughly satisfied with more Metroid games like Zero Mission, especially if the alternative was Metroid games like Corruption. :shrug:

Also 2D retro platformers own and their resurgence is A Good Thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RyokoTK posted:

Good thing then that the Prime titles are FPA games. Also Prime 2 and 3 were great games, period. :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I would be thoroughly satisfied with more Metroid games like Zero Mission, especially if the alternative was Metroid games like Corruption. :shrug:

Also 2D retro platformers own and their resurgence is A Good Thing.

I just want a Super Metroid remake with the improved control scheme of the GBA games. Holding a shoulder button for missiles is so much better than the clunky select button toggle.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a ROM patch that adds exactly that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Metroid Prime is also Really Really Great but it doesn't have the Shinespark and that's a goddamn shame :\

You know what game has the Shinespark though

Metroid: Other M

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a ROM patch that adds exactly that.

There's also an opposite one, Super Zero Mission which is Zero Mission's graphics but with Super Metroid's sound and controls. A lot of people consider it to be Super Metroid II due to its quality and extra but not unfair challenges.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 15, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TaurusOxford posted:

Good thing then that the Prime titles are FPA games. Also Prime 2 and 3 were great games, period. :colbert:
Except Torvus Bog.

gently caress Torvus Bog.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Dumb question, with the deluxe console is there any way to buy 3ds games to get the 10% back?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think so, but you can spend your DDP credit on 3DS games if you want.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TaurusOxford posted:

Echoes is really good and Corruption is fine (I guess) but neither of them are even on the level of Prime.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've been playing Bayonetta with the Samus suit and I think that's my favorite Metroid game now.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think so, but you can spend your DDP credit on 3DS games if you want.

Thanks, I didn't think so either but I was able to previously buy some fire emblem dlc with some free money so I was hoping.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Amppelix posted:

You know what game has the Shinespark though

Metroid: Other M

This is actually one of the very few things I liked about Other M.

The others are mostly the nostalgia bosses power hour towards the end. They were fun to see and fight in 3D.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's a funny way to spell Mischief Makers.

Best 2d platformer? For fucks sake this is easily SNES Yoshi's Island.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Umm, excuse me, but the best 2D platformer is obviously Rocky Rodent for SNES.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

The world can eat my dick.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Wow, I think it's wrong to get down on people for their gaming preferences, but drat your making it hard to stick to these convictions my friend

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ometeotl posted:

Umm, excuse me, but the best 2D platformer is obviously Rocky Rodent for SNES.

Wrong, loser.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RyokoTK posted:

Echoes is really good and Corruption is fine (I guess) but neither of them are even on the level of Prime.

Echoes is straight trash, Corruption is solid though.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Metroid Fusion is a decent game and actually has some new powerups for a 2d Metroid which is nice but they really hosed up the damage-to-health recovery ratio: sure, you can get a stupid number of energy tanks compared to most other Metroids, yes, without her actual armor, she's supposed to take entire health tanks of damage from everything even with the Gravity Suit equivalent and yeah, there's full recovery stations in every major area near the entrance, but would it REALLY have killed them to make it so that you recover more than 20-30 energy from absorbing the X when you have the above issue of increased damage?

Sure, bigger enemies leave more X behind to absorb but it's still not enough, half of them are ammo-recovery X and if the game's feeling assholish, it can turn the X into another enemy before you can absorb them. You'd think they would've added another type of X later in the game that recovers more health, the boss door X are already special X red that recover multiple energy tanks of health so all they had to do was to add another one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I need to replay the Prime games, but I remember thinking 2's quadrupedal robot boss near the end of the game was very cool. Don't recall 3 well.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Chaltab posted:

Except Torvus Bog.

gently caress Torvus Bog.

When you're fighting those enemies that can only be damaged on the back, use a charged dark beam shot to kill them in one hit. Bam, Torvus Bog is now 90% less annoying

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think we should all agree that every game is simultaneously the best and worst video game.

Also gently caress anyone with disparaging comments about Super Metroid.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I think we should all agree that every game is simultaneously the best and worst video game.

Also gently caress anyone with disparaging comments about Super Metroid.

Video games are babies' toys and you all look ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

acksplode posted:

Was that the European title for Dynamite Headdy?

You are all spelling Kabuki Quantum Fighter very, very wrong.

• Locked thread