Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Every loving book release GW does seems to have less and less stock. Nagash lasted a few days, Glottkin less than a day, and this 40K supplement an hour. I want to support my local store but what's the point if by the time I get down there when it opens the stock is all gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Meanwhile Horus Heresy book 4 still hasn't gone through 3/4ths its stock

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hollismason posted:

what ever the poo poo that crazy 2 shot ST8 AP2 weapon.

It's the pulse laser. It used to be exclusive to the falcon, but it's beginning to show up on more stuff.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PeterWeller posted:

Umm, I think you'll find that the Eldar tank came before the bunker. :colbert:

Yeah, but in counterpoint: gently caress the Eldar and their stupid tanks.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Telepathy is looking pretty fierce! I have a soft spot for Dreadnoughts, and one day I shall run a bunch of Dreadnoughts Drop Pod list. Sometimes you go to the grave, sometimes the grave comes to you.

Telepathy is pretty brutal, yeah. Its got good attack spells, strong buffs, and nice debuffs- basically everything you could want. BA can run a pretty crazy Drop Dread list, and with any luck when they get their update they'll be able to do like Space Wolves and run an all-Dreadnoughts list.

Also: Furioso Dreadnoughts with Blood Talons and a reroll to hit (such as from Prescsience) are hilarious.

Cataphract posted:

What's a good loadout for a drop podding stern guard squad. How many meltas/combi-meltas?

Typically you'll want two meltaguns, since they cost the same as a Combi does now. You'll always want at least one more Combi-Melta just to ensure that you get the job done; beyond that, I think it depends on the size of the list and other factors, but 2+3 is a pretty solid option. You can also consider mixing in some other Combis to give them a little more flexibility- 2 Melta, 2 Combi-Melta, 2 Combi-Grav can really put the fear into a lot of units, and if you really hate Wraithknights you could go 2/1/3.

Hollismason posted:

People talking about Eldar tanks, I just got my rear end handed to me pretty soundly by the Eldar Hornets with what ever the poo poo that crazy 2 shot ST8 AP2 weapon. That was crazy.

The Hornet is pretty unbelievable bullshit, yeah. I mean, it's probably not as bad as the Wave Serpent, but you'll inevitably see them both together, so...

PeterWeller posted:

It's the pulse laser. It used to be exclusive to the falcon, but it's beginning to show up on more stuff.

There's always been a handful of other things that had one in weird places; some of the superheavy flyers/walkers, etc. But yeah, mostly it was just the Falcon's "main" gun.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It's been all downhill since the unit that was all dual wielding pistols.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They FAQed the moritat over a year ago, but with the new legion rules he's back. Alpha Legion with their primarch in the army lets a dual plasma pistol wielding moritat hit 80 times, on average. Pretty sure that will delete just about anything.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, but in counterpoint: gently caress the Eldar and their stupid tanks.

I play eldar.

And I still agree with this. :v:

quote:

There's always been a handful of other things that had one in weird places; some of the superheavy flyers/walkers, etc. But yeah, mostly it was just the Falcon's "main" gun.

Yeah, but didn't the falcon come before all the FW stuff with it? Either way, you didn't see it much in regular games until the hornet, and back when falcons were the business, their BS3 really reduced its effectiveness.

I kinda feel like the laser lock on scatters and move to BS4 across the board was intended to bring falcons up to snuff, but thanks to the crowded HS slot and the awesomeness of serpent shields, those changes had the overall effect of making falcons even less desirable in comparison to wave serpents.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Dark Eldar are dirt cheap on Ebay, I have no idea why.

Chaos Space Marines and Necron are always more expensive which does not make sense to me at all.

This is a crazy good deal on ebay. I'd get it but gotta save up to basically be out of town for 2 and half weeks in December..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Eldar-Army-/151471505165?pt=Games_US&hash=item234467bf0d

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 15, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Cuz old Dark Eldar are ugly as hell and most people can't even give them away. I have like most of a 3rd Ed era DE army sans vehicles just laying around in a box somewhere and I'm pretty sure the only part of it I bought was some Wyches and Mandrakes I got in an eBay lot because I was going to convert them for Warhammer Fantasy (there was a tutorial in White Dwarf) to use as cultists for my Cult of Slaanesh army.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I think someone (maybe it was even you?) said that this isn't because demand is significantly lower; rather it's because FW printed enough to meet demand.

If true we can throw that out back on the gigantic pile labeled "times when FW makes slightly better decisions than GW proper"

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

I think the standards, 2 melta, 3 Combimelta, drop pod.

Seconded. Combat squad to taste...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Although actually Legion of the Damned get looked over they are incredibly efficient deep striking unit.

Especially when dealing with vehicles that jink and they cost I think a little less maybe 130ish? For melta, Multimelta ( which they can fire when landing without snap shotting it) , combimelta on the Sgt. I think they don't scatter either, I remember getting shot at with them and they didn't scatter.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
They are relentless, reroll scatter and always ignore cover. The 3++ is good versus Knights too.

But, they are not twinlinked, get no chapter tactics and are kinda pricey, kinda.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha the shield of Baal is sold out. HAHAHA. What a bunch of loving morons.

One of the old venomthropes ended up in the pictures of the new venomthropes. I think an intern screwed up in a hurry to get out of there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

They are relentless, reroll scatter and always ignore cover. The 3++ is good versus Knights too.

But, they are not twinlinked, get no chapter tactics and are kinda pricey, kinda.

Yeah they do have fearless though..

If the points of the new supplement are still the same...

5 Legion of the Damned w/ melta gun, combimelta, multi melta - 155

5 Sternguard w/ 2 meltaguns, 3 Combi Meltas , Drop Pod - 205

Also what the poo poo, Drop Pods are 35 loving points, I thought they were like the cost of a Rhino.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Also what the poo poo, Drop Pods are 35 loving points, I thought they were like the cost of a Rhino.

It's funny that you say that, because Rhinos are, in fact, 35 points.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the stock issues are becoming a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. Everyone knows they're having stock issues, so they pre-order quicker...leading to stock issues. We'll see what happens with the next codex release. If that runs out of stock, something is going terribly loving wrong.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Yeah, so this Shadowsword is gonna be pretty big...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Locomotive breath posted:

It's funny that you say that, because Rhinos are, in fact, 35 points.

Goddamn it.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Yeah, so this Shadowsword is gonna be pretty big...

Whats that weird looking thing in the back some sort of radio.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Have any of the cities of death rules been posted anywhere yet? That's my fuckin' poo poo if it's got as many rules as a regular expansion. Hopefully it doesn't take them three months to print more.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn it.

Man, I'm so glad I spent 10 bucks on you

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Ah, that one; Eldar like to "borrow" names used elsewhere in the game, so...
They do like to 'borrow' rules and make them better, Such as Battle Focus being a more flexible version of Onslaught, and being an army special rule as opposed to a targeted psychic power.
Working as intended :argh:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Yeah, Eldar and Tau sure seem to just automatically get a lot of abilities that other armies have to pass a test in order to get.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Master Twig posted:

Yeah, Eldar and Tau sure seem to just automatically get a lot of abilities that other armies have to pass a test in order to get.

Playing against Tau is like watching someone play a different edition of the game against your army. 'No, I've got a special rule for that' is the most common thing I hear from my Tau opponent.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

Playing against Tau is like watching someone play a different edition of the game against your army. 'No, I've got a special rule for that' is the most common thing I hear from my Tau opponent.
Like multiple squads and even vehicles firing overwatch, a significant chunk of their army ignoring cover with other abilities that let everything else in their army ignore it too, the only faction that doesn't adhere to the traditional 12" range increments past 24"... There's probably a ton of other oddities with Tau that I'm unfamiliar with, I only played against them once since they got a new codex, and that guy's list was.... not very good. I tabled him in ~3 turns with the 6th ed Nids before Skyblight even existed, with only a single Flyrant too. I'm not very versed on what they can do, aside from largely ignoring penalties because markerlights (which they've always been able to do) and Riptides being scary as poo poo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

Man, I'm so glad I spent 10 bucks on you

WRONG ON DAEMONS.
WRONG ON ELDAR.
WRONG ON ORKS.
WRONG ON MARINES.
WRONG FOR GOONS.

Just kidding, we all love you Hollismason.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BULBASAUR posted:

WRONG ON DAEMONS.
WRONG ON ELDAR.
WRONG ON ORKS.
WRONG ON MARINES.
WRONG FOR GOONS.

Just kidding, we all love you Hollismason.

No we don't.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Hollismason posted:

Whats that weird looking thing in the back some sort of radio.

It's one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gen...=item4d2758e013

During baseball season I listen to games while I'm painting on it. Because I'm 60 years old.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Yeah the most broken things from IA:13 which stood out to me:

They can take so many cheap hordes it's not even funny - average of 3 pts a model. Admittedly most of these have no saves, but you can grab cover most of the time. You can just spam 20 man militia squads easily.

110 pts for 2 bs4 Melta guns in a chimera, in a 5 man vet squad.

120 pts for 3 thudd guns at bs2.

60 pts for 3 rapiers at bs 2 (str 9 ap1 ordnance twin linked)

85pts for a small blast str 10 ap1 armourbane shot at bs2 from a fixed medusa emplacement

Hellhounds are a flat 10 pts cheaper than in IG codex as they're bs2 which doesn't matter. Same with wyverns (they're twin linked anyway)

Other than that it seemed to be probably the best forgeworld book I've seen (not that the others are bad). Tbh taking 60+ objective secured militia with a pair of hellhounds and a squad of artillery as allies in a CSM list is excellent.

Also Hollismason I seem to remember you have a demon fetish, 15 pts nets you a 12" bubble on ANY vehicle which allows rerolls of demon summoning rolls. You can reroll the same number of dice as you have remaining HP but you take a pen hit if you fail after rerolls.

E: bs3 is a flat 10 pts upgrade for any squad or emplacement

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lord Twisted posted:

And with that it seemed to be probably the best forgeworld book I've seen (not that the others are bad). Tbh taking 60+ objective secured militia with a pair of hellhounds and a squad of artillery as allies in a CSM list is excellent.

Corrected that for you.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PeterWeller posted:

I play eldar.

And I still agree with this. :v:
Yeah, I do as well. I run an army full of Serpents and Hornets and that loving Tau formation that piles extra special rules onto the two best units in the codex, I got no room to talk.

quote:

Yeah, but didn't the falcon come before all the FW stuff with it? Either way, you didn't see it much in regular games until the hornet, and back when falcons were the business, their BS3 really reduced its effectiveness.

The Falcon was originally a FW vehicle, I'm fairly sure. I believe it was the first place the Pulse Laser came up, but not for terribly long- several of the flyers that came out early on had it as a weapon as well.

HiveCommander posted:

Like multiple squads and even vehicles firing overwatch, a significant chunk of their army ignoring cover with other abilities that let everything else in their army ignore it too, the only faction that doesn't adhere to the traditional 12" range increments past 24"... There's probably a ton of other oddities with Tau that I'm unfamiliar with, I only played against them once since they got a new codex, and that guy's list was.... not very good. I tabled him in ~3 turns with the 6th ed Nids before Skyblight even existed, with only a single Flyrant too. I'm not very versed on what they can do, aside from largely ignoring penalties because markerlights (which they've always been able to do) and Riptides being scary as poo poo.

Honestly, Supporting Fire isn't that big of a deal- it makes assaults a bit tougher, sure, but the majority of the time a handful more of Pulse shots doesn't really swing a fight any. Being able to Ignore Cover with a lot of weapons- especially the SMS natively and high-Str/low-AP guns like the Ion Accelerator is another big one. Easy access to Tank Hunter is the third main component of Tau dominance; the Riptide itself is, honestly speaking, not all that bad. It's only once you pile a ton of Markerlights onto it that it really becomes dangerous, but so is almost anything in that codex.

(SMS and Pulse Rifles are the only weapons that don't adhere to the "standard" range bands, as best I can remember. And most armies have at least a few things like that, so...)

Lord Twisted posted:

Yeah the most broken things from IA:13 which stood out to me:

Some of the stuff you listed is okay, but a lot of them are middling. Wyverns and Thudd Guns are, obviously, really good and cheap horde units that potentially recycle (via the Master of the Horde devotion) are also kinda a thing. Note also that a Renegade Enforcer with Combat Drugs is 35pts and grants the whole unit +1Ld, Rage, and rerolls on failed Leadership checks- a pretty drat good deal.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-post!

Paint a thing - share a thing;

Still have another two to make a minimum squad of five and I've also been converting up the new plastic Archon some. If my current progression holds, they should all be done in, oh, i dunno... three years? :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I feel like a dick but at the same time its kind of fun. What seems to catch my friend out most often is "Aha, this is a good spot. No line of sight and 4+ cover, my unit will be safe here."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Shield of Baal situation is loving stupid. What is the point of releasing an expansion book in limited edition, and then not even having enough copies to withstand an evening's sales? Whoever estimates that poo poo for them needs a slap.

That's £45 they could have had from me that they're not getting now.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What is the point of releasing an expansion book in limited edition, and then not even having enough copies to withstand an evening's sales?

Huh, would you look at that, it's actually gone and I was thinking about picking that up as well. Oh well? v:v:v

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, so much for the new City Fight rules I guess.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Shield of Baal situation is loving stupid. What is the point of releasing an expansion book in limited edition, and then not even having enough copies to withstand an evening's sales? Whoever estimates that poo poo for them needs a slap.

That's £45 they could have had from me that they're not getting now.

They haven't sold every copy they're ever going to make - this is just the fancy limited edition version.

There's an ebook version on preorder for £30 due in December. I have no doubt we'll see a soft cover version too like they did with End Times.

edit: GW have probably cottoned onto the fact that ebook editions end up being shared as PDF files within a few hours of release and this is their way to extract as much money as possible before that happens

xtothez fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 15, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe I'm being retarded but I can't actually see any physical version of the End Times rules on the GW UK site. I can see Nagash and Glottkin iPad versions (at gently caress-off prices) but nothing on paper.

Edit: If that is the case then jokes on them, I prefer a physical copy anyway, and don't have an iPad. Nor would I pay £50 for a loving e-rulebook. So if that is their strategy then they're permanently reducing how much money they get from me.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 15, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

There'll be a softback collection next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I wouldn't mind getting the softbacks but dammit they've sucked me into collecting the hardback slipcase stuff! :colbert:

Anyway, I've messaged my local GW store manager (via the store's FB page) and hopefully he can hold a set for me next weekend. He did the same for the Tyranid dice.

Also, I'm building up this Stormsword for my friend - is it a bad thing (for me, playing against him) that I told him he should have me magnetize the chassis so he can convert it to a Baneblade if he wants? I mean...I get get a little more money for the extra work...but then I'll have to see the damned thing lining up against me on the battlefield.

• Locked thread