Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Humor is even more subjective than drama in a lot of ways, which is why people tend to feel pretty strongly one way or another about the panto audios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I literally just finished watching The World's End for the first time a few minutes ago (and I had no idea this discussion was going on in this thread until just now either :aaa:). I have to say, it's a hell of a movie if you know absolutely nothing about it going in. It almost, almost felt like a Cybermen story only way better than any actual Cybermen story we're ever likely to get.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I couldn't stand either of the prior two movies, but I might see this one when it's on home video by that description alone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I literally just finished watching The World's End for the first time a few minutes ago (and I had no idea this discussion was going on in this thread until just now either :aaa:). I have to say, it's a hell of a movie if you know absolutely nothing about it going in. It almost, almost felt like a Cybermen story only way better than any actual Cybermen story we're ever likely to get.

Did you spot the guy dressed as the Fifth Doctor at the end?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Humor is even more subjective than drama in a lot of ways, which is why people tend to feel pretty strongly one way or another about the panto audios.

How many of them are there, anyway? The One Doctor, Bing-Bang-a-Boom!, there's one more I'm forgetting... does and the Pirates count? Also Max Warp from the Eighth Doctor Adventures, that was comedy (but probably not for the reasons the writers intended)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I once managed to get a friend who knew absolutely nothing about the movie to watch it with me. Her reaction when everything went to hell was beautiful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So who's excited for tomorrow's episo-

Oh... right... :negative:.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I say ease yourself into a lack of Who by watching some ancillary Who non-fiction stuff, they did a lot of them in the last couple years. Watch the big Who specials they had when they were going nuts about a new Doctor, see how much of what Capaldi, Coleman and Moffat said that actually came through!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Just watch K9 and Company on a loop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

40 days till Christmas!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cleretic posted:

I say ease yourself into a lack of Who by watching some ancillary Who non-fiction stuff, they did a lot of them in the last couple years. Watch the big Who specials they had when they were going nuts about a new Doctor, see how much of what Capaldi, Coleman and Moffat said that actually came through!

I've started started watching all the episodes on Netflix - everything from Eccleston onwards.

It's pretty much all new for me (apart from the series with Blink as I have that on DVD). I've just watched 'Dalek' and been suprised at how emotional a lump of latex can be.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

spog posted:

I've just watched 'Dalek' and been suprised at how emotional a lump of latex can be.

Yeah, and the Dalek was pretty good in it too!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jsor posted:

Yeah, and the Dalek was pretty good in it too!

The Dalek can at least say the letter "S" with whistling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just been chatting with Tony Osoba, who played Duke in Kill the Moon, and he said that the episode was cut to shreds. He originally had a much larger part and the start was much more slow burn. I wonder if I could get a copy of that script to read from him..

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The_Doctor posted:

Did you spot the guy dressed as the Fifth Doctor at the end?

I didn't when I watched it, but I'm not really surprised. Wright and Pegg have come out and said the scene in Shaun of the Dead where the army shows up and just starts gunning down all the zombies is directly inspired from UNIT.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Another preview for the christmas episode. It's basically a single scene from what looks like the beginning part of the episode.

Spoilers obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsxEenCBRG0

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Beens posted:

Another preview for the christmas episode. It's basically a single scene from what looks like the beginning part of the episode.

Spoilers obviously

Nice to see Starkey in a role out of the Strax makeup.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Spoilers obviously

What was that thing about tangerines? Is this another British Christmas tradition that I'm about to learn because of Doctor Who?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's come up before, in the ending of the Christmas Invasion. Kind of offhand, really.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Diabolik900 posted:

What was that thing about tangerines? Is this another British Christmas tradition that I'm about to learn because of Doctor Who?

Not British, but I frequently had tangerines as stocking stuffers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"Happy Easter." :drat:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I somehow avoided seeing any promo stuff for it at all and went in expecting some sci-fi disaster event, then became increasingly convinced that it was just a comedy drama about manchildren, and when the big reveal happened I was bowled over :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Beens posted:

Spoilers obviously

"Happy Easter" :allears:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Diabolik900 posted:

Growing up I always had an orange and an apple at the bottom of my stocking, as did my brother and sister.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Fire department gave out oranges on Christmas where I lived, though of course the real treat was getting to see the fire truck up close.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Well, it's no Dark Eyes 3, but Big Finish has released the first episode in the new Rani story - and they made it available for free, to boot!

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who---the-rani-elite-part-1-free-download-1160

Just in time for a long wait appointment I've got in 45 minutes. Should be interesting to see what they do with the character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Poor episode this week I thought. As a follow up to the Missy storyline, a return to Atlantis is interesting, but hasn't all this been covered in The Time Monster? The Doctor and Clara will turn up soon right?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
For what it's worth, in the new DWM, Moffat's confirmed that the Time Lock is dead, because how else would the end of "Listen" happen?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TinTower posted:

For what it's worth, in the new DWM, Moffat's confirmed that the Time Lock is dead, because how else would the end of "Listen" happen?

By being written badly?

Seriously, the time lock no longer existing out working raises so many questions. Why can't the Doctor just plunge his hands into the TARDIS console and go to Gallifrey then? Does that mean the the Time War is still raging somewhere?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

By being written badly?

Seriously, the time lock no longer existing out working raises so many questions. Why can't the Doctor just plunge his hands into the TARDIS console and go to Gallifrey then? Does that mean the the Time War is still raging somewhere?

The Doctor doesn't know yet. After all, Clara didn't tell him the TARDIS went to pre-Academy Gallifrey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McGann posted:

Well, it's no Dark Eyes 3, but Big Finish has released the first episode in the new Rani story - and they made it available for free, to boot!

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who---the-rani-elite-part-1-free-download-1160

Just in time for a long wait appointment I've got in 45 minutes. Should be interesting to see what they do with the character.

Well this was a fun listen and was competently put together but I had to laugh at the big cliffhanger being,"HOLY poo poo IT'S THE RANI! :derp:" considering how the story was advertised. It works for the characters involved, of course, but not so much for the listener.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TinTower posted:

The Doctor doesn't know yet. After all, Clara didn't tell him the TARDIS went to pre-Academy Gallifrey.

This is really dumb. Literally the only reason he doesn't know is to preserve the on going story and still have Clara able to influence him as a kid. It's such a transparent and mechanical situation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

This is really dumb. Literally the only reason he doesn't know is to preserve the on going story and still have Clara able to influence him as a kid. It's such a transparent and mechanical situation.

We don't know why he doesn't know. He couldn't get back to Gallifrey all throughout the RTD era and the show has not actually explained how "back" it is yet. It is too early to call the solution transparent or mechanical because we do not have the solution yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

We don't know why he doesn't know. He couldn't get back to Gallifrey all throughout the RTD era and the show has not actually explained how "back" it is yet. It is too early to call the solution transparent or mechanical because we do not have the solution yet.

I mean the only reason Clara didn't tell him or he ignored her pleading and looked in the TARDIS flight record.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Wait, wasn't it established loads of times that without the Time Lock all those UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS would be unleashed on space and time? I don't know why I'm bothering asking this given how lax the show's internal logic always is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

vegetables posted:

Wait, wasn't it established loads of times that without the Time Lock all those UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS would be unleashed on space and time? I don't know why I'm bothering asking this given how lax the show's internal logic always is.

The episodes establishing that are nearly five years old now. I don't see why the stories being told NOW necessarily need to slavishly line up with them.

What's the point of keeping Gallifrey gone? I'm not sure that the "last-ish of the Time Lords" story reserve is bigger than the "Gallifrey's Back" potential anymore.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've never watched 'the next doctor' for some reason. Is it actually worth watching?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

I've never watched 'the next doctor' for some reason. Is it actually worth watching?

Yeah, its alright.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Little_wh0re posted:

If you enjoyed the other stuff from that era. Definitely not the worst and very definitely not the best. If you watched on Netflix, maybe that was why you skipped it, the specials used to be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It has sassy Cybermen.

"That was designated a lie."

• Locked thread