Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

i just went to go get dinner because of a mobile ad to a place I normally like. Thanks internet advertising machine, I didn't want to make the decision tonight anyway.

thank god your advertising profile knows you well enough to think for you

you might have starved to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

pagancow posted:

You'll magically see it conform to an sRGB gamma curve and denoising and sharpening gets turned off.

well no, i wouldn't see that, i'd just see that the picture looked different. not anything about denoising the sharpening curve

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Deacon of Delicious posted:

well no, i wouldn't see that, i'd just see that the picture looked different. not anything about denoising the sharpening curve

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

thank god your advertising profile knows you well enough to think for you

you might have starved to death

we just need a netflix for food so it just makes the decisions for you based off your eating habits.

then charge for prime placement

time to go to SV with this idea

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

we just need a netflix for food so it just makes the decisions for you based off your eating habits.

then charge for prime placement

time to go to SV with this idea

poo poo.

you are going to make $10MM+ in first round funding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

seriously though, have you seen the delta e on those displays? you're not going to get anything even close to colour accuracy no matter what you do

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I tested a $250 20" samsung display and it was like ^E of <2 after I renamed the input to PC, and chose Movie settings.

someone inside samsung does care about sRGB but you have to know the one weird olde tip

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

I tested a $250 20" samsung display and it was like ^E of <2 after I renamed the input to PC, and chose Movie settings.

someone inside samsung does care about sRGB but you have to know the one weird olde tip

try an actual tv (e.g 40"+)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my TV owns it was $400

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://search.thewarehouse.co.nz/m/product/Veon-40-Inch-Full-HD-LED-LCD-TV-VN4018LED%3bsid=9io2oTxb8Xs3oWg8954pqyz3PFnxQryYKWg=?SKU=1865918

that's my TV

it's great

it's a monotremes

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
ours is a 40" scamscum but it has that clear plastic framing around it (no stupid lights or anything) and it's really annoying to wallmount because the plastic frame sticks out like 5 inches and it super thing and is sharp on the edges and also super slippery. basically what i'm saying is we're gonna leave it up there for the next movers or some poo poo, i think we got it for free because someone was moving and couldn't take it cross country.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have that same samsung but i didnt wallmount it. also got it half price on tiger direct kuz its got a dead pixel. i buy all my tvs with 1 dead pixel for a mega discount #lifehacks

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
lifehack: pay money for electronics that belon g in the trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

newreply.php posted:

lifehack: pay money for electronics that belon g in the trash

you buy apple don't you?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

try an actual tv (e.g 40"+)

Actual Samsung TVs do the same

SAMSUNG TV OWNERS:

rename input to PC

switch to MOVIE mode

set to WARM 2 if you have to

your TV is now calibrated.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

not pictured, step 4 where you change it back because you're a dumb consumer who needs bluer TVs for it to "look right"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

engineers came up with the TV standard, but market research came up with the most pleasing looking image for poorly produced TV shows.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pagancow posted:

engineers came up with the TV standard, but market research came up with the most pleasing looking image for poorly produced TV shows.

Free market speaks again.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Movies actually look better on calibrated settings, but thats because Movies have a budget unlike TV shows.

TV shows are a complete waste of your time, have almost no redeeming value to them, and the ones that do are done so much better by a movie or doc.

They are just vehicles for ads, so nobody in yospos should watch TV shows ever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody's made a good film since like 2000 dude. film is dead. even the most blockbuster of monster blowouts are eking out like b+'s on imdb. face it visual media is garbage because it turns the mirror of awareness back upon the horror that is our own pathetic existence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
modern cinema died when Crash beat Brokeback.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pagancow posted:

Movies actually look better on calibrated settings, but thats because Movies have a budget unlike TV shows.

TV shows are a complete waste of your time, have almost no redeeming value to them, and the ones that do are done so much better by a movie or doc.

i really like You're the Worst on the FX (FXX?) Network

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

modern cinema died when Crash beat Brokeback.

yeah but that was because gay media is icky

the real death of cinema was when comic book movies became the go to for studios

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

I watch tv shows on itunes or netflix because they are 1080p and look better without the ads or dumb network watermarks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I don't want to be some smug "BUY NOTHING DAY" adbusters strawman but seriously stay home, sleep in, play yahtzee with gramma, boil a carcass into stock, watch a football [or a law & order marathon] and don't participate in this horror

gonna go on a boat ride i think

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody's made a good film since like 2000 dude. film is dead. even the most blockbuster of monster blowouts are eking out like b+'s on imdb. face it visual media is garbage because it turns the mirror of awareness back upon the horror that is our own pathetic existence

Try watching something made outside of america if you want quality movies, also

Forums Terrorist posted:

the real death of cinema was when comic book movies became the go to for studios

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
premium tv has more or less swapped places with cinema. tv used to be the idiot box full of lowest common denominator formula crap, and the movies were where sophisticated "adult" fare could be found. thats almost completely reversed now. the wire, breaking bad, sopranos, mad men - what has hollywood produced to match those?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

going to the movies is now watching thousands of superheroes save their reality's new york or another large city from a large special effect threat after banding together and overcoming their own personal issues.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Am watching guardians of the galaxy with my son, its unsurprisingly poo poo. 8.5 on IMDb, 90/95 on rotten tomatoes smdh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

I watch tv shows on itunes or netflix because they are 1080p and look better without the ads or dumb network watermarks.

lol is cable so bad now that 6mbps h.264 iTunes looks better?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

seriously though, have you seen the delta e on those displays? you're not going to get anything even close to colour accuracy no matter what you do

Is there any TV that actually does proper colour without getting into reference monitor prices? I saw this and thought it looked of interest:

http://www.display-central.com/free-news/display-daily/time-to-buy-a-quantum-dot-tv/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
movies have gotten so terrible because 1) only young people go to movies (on dates or as something to do) and 2) the major markets for movies are now global which means movies have to be viable in asia and europe and latin america (hello shiny action and simple plots and ridiculous special effects, goodbye subtlety or cultural nuance)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Blue Train posted:

Am watching guardians of the galaxy with my son, its unsurprisingly poo poo. 8.5 on IMDb, 90/95 on rotten tomatoes smdh

look at this :filez: chat i know you dont have a christie projector and the DCP in your house

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is there any TV that actually does proper colour without getting into reference monitor prices? I saw this and thought it looked of interest:

http://www.display-central.com/free-news/display-daily/time-to-buy-a-quantum-dot-tv/

Like I said, Modern Samsung TV. Rename input PC, use Movie/Warm2 settings.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I think the expensive LG tvs have a THX mode which does something similar but they are pretty expensive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this site does detailed measurement and lists how close they can get them to reference
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

pagancow posted:

look at this :filez: chat i know you dont have a christie projector and the DCP in your house

i have the Dick, Cock, Prick in my house op

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

premium tv has more or less swapped places with cinema. tv used to be the idiot box full of lowest common denominator formula crap, and the movies were where sophisticated "adult" fare could be found. thats almost completely reversed now. the wire, breaking bad, sopranos, mad men - what has hollywood produced to match those?

as opposed to the 1980s, where film was decidedly more subtle

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

FMguru posted:

The only reason why these shows are even approaching movie quality is 1) they are loss leaders to sell subscriptions to a network and 2) they still are low budget compared to movies and have all kinds of technical problems when they try to stretch into movie territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
yeah those shows are only good because 1) the networks that make them want them to be good and 2) gently caress i don't even know what that one's supposed to mean

• Locked thread