Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

CareyB posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying that convicted rapists and murders who have not atoned or been rehabilitated should not be in positions of power and influence.

He's done his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

CareyB posted:

1: The victim will have to see this person in local media week in week out, on the back of football shirts, maybe any time she hears the words "Sheffield United" she will be reminded on some level about this experience. Why is that fair for her?

She's a victim of a horrific crime, and her triggers will be complex and difficult to avoid. No it isn't fair, and in my own opinion Sheffield United should refuse to re-sign him just because the girl is local to that club.

CareyB posted:

watching the film thought it looked like harmless fun, and just started doing it.

Yeah Shitthatdefhappened.txt

CareyB posted:

Allowing this saga to carry on basically keeps the conversation of rape flowing, leading to more rape. Are you happy with that?

Talking about rape doesn't make more people rape, you idiot. The vast majority of people are very well aware that rape is a really terrible thing to do to someone. Those that do not hold that opinion will probably, given the opportunity, rape. But they'll do it whether it's talked about or isn't, because that's the kind of person they are. Probably the parents to blame, idk.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

sassassin posted:

Who defines what these positions are? The law has already decided which professions are unsuitable for convicted rapists but you've apparently got some different standards in mind.

Maybe when those laws were created there was no internet, no twitter, no 24 hour media coverage?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

stickyfngrdboy posted:

She's a victim of a horrific crime, and her triggers will be complex and difficult to avoid. No it isn't fair, and in my own opinion Sheffield United should refuse to re-sign him just because the girl is local to that club.

Didn't the incident happen in Rhyl or some similar shithole?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Didn't the incident happen in Rhyl or some similar shithole?

Oh maybe it did, if so I retract that bit.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Talking about rape doesn't make more people rape, you idiot. The vast majority of people are very well aware that rape is a really terrible thing to do to someone. Those that do not hold that opinion will probably, given the opportunity, rape. But they'll do it whether it's talked about or isn't, because that's the kind of person they are. Probably the parents to blame, idk.

Well you can't prove a negative. But you can look at the mountains of evidence in psychology and neuroscience that says that actually people are inspired to do things based on things they read, hear and themselves experience. If the narrative is all "rape is ok" people will believe it's ok. Why is that so difficult to believe?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If the Operation Yewtree guys get out of jail, should they be allowed to go back on television or the radio or wherever and assume their previous lives in the spotlight and make shitloads of money while being in the public eye constantly, because they served their time in prison and therefore it's all okay?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CareyB posted:

How do you know, or how can you say, what the effects of Ched Evans continuing to play football are? You say I'm a literal moron but you might want to look into how the brain works, how humans operate according to fundamental laws of nature and survival.

The proof is literally there, I posted it, if you bother to investigate yourself instead of essentially saying well this would not effect ME in this way how could it effect anyone else in this way. It does mate, sorry for this blast of reality.

People vote UKIP because they have a problem with immigrants. Ask anyone what an immigrant has done to sleight them personally and they never have an answer, ever. They are just told over and over and over again that immigrants are bad, the burka is bad, be scared of these people cos theyre different, and low and behold people start to believe it and build a reality around it.

You're getting a bit unhinged now, but you didn't post any proof. You posted a wall of text about a TED tall that was mostly inapposite to what we're talking about and which you don't seem to understand. In any case.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Remember how Roman Polanski literally raped a child and then won an oscar

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

CareyB posted:

Well you can't prove a negative. But you can look at the mountains of evidence in psychology and neuroscience that says that actually people are inspired to do things based on things they read, hear and themselves experience. If the narrative is all "rape is ok" people will believe it's ok. Why is that so difficult to believe?

Where is the 'rape is ok' narrative?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Where is the 'rape is ok' narrative?

I said if. You missed my point. Do you disagree with the point I made?

blue footed boobie posted:

You're getting a bit unhinged now, but you didn't post any proof. You posted a wall of text about a TED tall that was mostly inapposite to what we're talking about and which you don't seem to understand. In any case.

Violence begets violence mate, it's not something that should be beyond you, but seeing as your poo poo posts consist of little more than personal attacks it's little surprise you can't process an alternative viewpoint because you refuse to look into it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CareyB posted:

Violence begets violence mate, it's not something that should be beyond you, but seeing as your poo poo posts consist of little more than personal attacks it's little surprise you can't process an alternative viewpoint because you refuse to look into it.

And in turn, is the irony of this beyond you? A man does a terrible thing. He is punished for it. You are arguing that FURTHER VENGEANCE MUST BE PERPETRATED UPON HIM.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Eau de MacGowan posted:

And in turn, is the irony of this beyond you? A man does a terrible thing. He is punished for it. You are arguing that FURTHER VENGEANCE MUST BE PERPETRATED UPON HIM.

Well point proved, surely?

It's nothing to do with Ched and vengeance against him personally, it's about what the effects will be on wider society by pretending that everything is all good now he's served his time. Just serving a punishment should not allow everything to carry on as normal if that could negatively impact the lives of others. I'm sorry that you think it's ok for a convicted rapist who doesn't believe he did anything wrong to be an inspiration to young people, and others in their community.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CareyB posted:

Well point proved, surely?

It's nothing to do with Ched and vengeance against him personally, it's about what the effects will be on wider society by pretending that everything is all good now he's served his time. Just serving a punishment should not allow everything to carry on as normal if that could negatively impact the lives of others. I'm sorry that you think it's ok for a convicted rapist who doesn't believe he did anything wrong to be an inspiration to young people, and others in their community.

I don't like anything to do with his situation. I don't like people on the streets promoting Sharia law either, but, by the very foundations of our society and everything we believe in, they must be permitted to do so.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Then surely, it should also be permissible for someone to say "ugh, I hope Sheffield United don't re-sign a literal rapist."

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Beyond this, his point is that we should release rapists into the public to be unemployable social pariahs who will almost certainly commit more crimes. It's inherently a bad position. The better argument is that the prison sentence for rape should be longer.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

CareyB posted:

I said if. You missed my point. Do you disagree with the point I made?

What? You're arguing that if - if - people go round saying rape is ok then everyone will think yeah it cool and good. Which is probably true. If someone is told something often enough, they will believe it. (I tell my wife she's fat every day just so she never has enough confidence in herself to cheat on me. It's easy. But she is actually fat as well, which helps.)

But nobody is doing that, about rape, that I am aware of, so I didn't understand why saying that was relevant.

CareyB posted:

I'm sorry that you think it's ok for a convicted rapist who doesn't believe he did anything wrong to be an inspiration to young people, and others in their community.

Ched Evans has never been, will never be, an inspiration to young people or communities, I don't understand why anyone believes he is.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Sheffield is a cool city with two clown football clubs, its a real shame

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I don't like anything to do with his situation. I don't like people on the streets promoting Sharia law either, but, by the very foundations of our society and everything we believe in, they must be permitted to do so.

But that doesn't apply to everyone and everything does it. You can't work in certain professions if you're a sex offender.

If he came out, said I really hosed up, she was pissed and I took advantage, I will go through the rest of my life teaching people that this is wrong, then fair play, I'd hope that he can continue doing the job he loves and be an inspiration to others in a positive way. Unfortunately, that ain't happening.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

CareyB posted:

If he came out, said I really hosed up, she was pissed and I took advantage, I will go through the rest of my life teaching people that this is wrong, then fair play, I'd hope that he can continue doing the job he loves and be an inspiration to others in a positive way. Unfortunately, that ain't happening.

hes appealing his conviction though, so doing that would be moronic

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Ched Evans has the right to be employed in his profession and any football club has the right to refuse him a job b/c of his lovely history, is basically what I feel.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

TelekineticBear! posted:

hes appealing his conviction though, so doing that would be moronic

more moronic than failing to understand how an 19yo girl who's woken up in a completely unknown place with two dudes cum leaking out of her might feel like she's been taken advantage of?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Popehoist posted:

Ched Evans has the right to be employed in his profession and any football club has the right to refuse him a job b/c of his lovely history, is basically what I feel.
Same, and also I would personally be annoyed if my club signed him

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CareyB posted:

more moronic than failing to understand how an 19yo girl who's woken up in a completely unknown place with two dudes cum leaking out of her might feel like she's been taken advantage of?

You sound like an insane person.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

CareyB posted:

One time I was raped by a strawman and this post is very triggering for me.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

Beyond this, his point is that we should release rapists into the public to be unemployable social pariahs who will almost certainly commit more crimes. It's inherently a bad position. The better argument is that the prison sentence for rape should be longer.

If he wants to become employable again then he should be making very real apologies to his victim, and try to work towards raising awareness about sexual assault and try discriminating against the act of it, so as to better influence those who look up to him (as opposed to such people sending death and rape threats to other women). Rape is a lot worse than shoplifting!

Chocolate Teapot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2014

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Agreed.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Chocolate Teapot posted:

If he wants to become employable again then he should be making very real apologies to his victim, and try to work towards raising awareness about sexual assault and try discriminating against the act of it, so as to better influence those who look up to him (as opposed to such people sending death and rape threats to other women). Rape is a lot worse than shoplifting!

That's why he got the sentence he did! If a criminal is going to be presumed unfit to rejoin society upon serving their sentence, they should get longer sentences. The idea that we'll release criminals from prison and then marginalized them is counterintuitive and encourages further crime and recidivism

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

CareyB posted:

People vote UKIP because they have a problem with immigrants. Ask anyone what an immigrant has done to sleight them personally and they never have an answer, ever. They are just told over and over and over again that immigrants are bad, the burka is bad, be scared of these people cos theyre different, and low and behold people start to believe it and build a reality around it.

What nonsense this is

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

What nonsense this is

when people get their information from a limited number of sources they have a warped view of the world

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
White people. Ugh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
An immigrant working in a chip shop got my order wrong last night cause we couldn't understand each other's hilarious accents. They should all be deported.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pantsuit posted:

when people get their information from a limited number of sources they have a warped view of the world

UKIP voters have real grievances, economically and culturally

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I skipped like 60 posts of idgaf but Ched Evans has the right to any job he is eligible for as a convicted sex offender. Be that footballer, SA mod, fluffer, or cleaning lady(that's his choice if he wants to be a lady)

That absolutely does not mean that someone has to hire him for said job but he has the right to "apply" and be considered if he meets the qualifications which is essentially what a trial/training with a club is.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

African AIDS cum posted:

African AIDS cum posted:

Ukip voters are scared of things that don't exist and they are getting lied to by, essentially, fracking companies and bankers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I can already hear the chants of "he rapes who he wants" ringing out from the terraces.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

I can already hear the chants of "he rapes who he wants" ringing out from the terraces.

I didn't know Van Persie was playing tonight

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CareyB posted:

Edit: by privilegded position of power and/or influence it's based on that persons connection with the general public. Footballers have quite a lot of that. Teachers have a lot of that too, as do doctors, and as has been said, he can no longer do either of those jobs.

Can you honestly not see the difference between a rapey footballer being on a football pitch doing football things and a rapey doctor or rapey teacher being allowed back into their profession where they have a duty of care and ample opportunity to be alone with people that would be directly at risk of said rapeyness?

Because if not you're a loving moron.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToAah0ME4bY