Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oooooh. Totally looking at the wrong spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How do you get into Frozen Synapse, anyway? I've had it for ages now, but I can't figure out how the hell it's supposed to work. The scripts I set up never actually work out the same in practice as they do in the simulation runs, but I don't really see what else you are supposed to go by.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cardiovorax posted:

How do you get into Frozen Synapse, anyway? I've had it for ages now, but I can't figure out how the hell it's supposed to work. The scripts I set up never actually work out the same in practice as they do in the simulation runs, but I don't really see what else you are supposed to go by.

Well, unless you accurately predicted the opponent's moves (or never interact with the opponent at all), your actual moves will never match up with your simulation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How are you expected to do it, then? I tried to treat it as a puzzle game of sorts, but clearly that's not right. I'd like to get some value back out of it, so I'm really curious what I'm doing wrong.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are you playing against real human opponents? It is basically a game of chess where both players submit their moves simultaneously.

If you didn't already figure it out - you can set a path for your opponent's team's moves in the simulation so you can see how your men will react. It's been a while since I've played but the important thing is to learn the order of precedence for who gets off the first gunshot, where "someone moves into your cone of vision while you're standing still" is at the top.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cardiovorax posted:

How are you expected to do it, then? I tried to treat it as a puzzle game of sorts, but clearly that's not right. I'd like to get some value back out of it, so I'm really curious what I'm doing wrong.

Your battle simulations represent a perfect world scenario. Your enemy is making those same guesses as you. Your goal isn't to just move your pieces, it's to judge where your enemy is going to move to, and try to press them elsewhere or set up a plan that can take control.

It's like simultaneous chess/checkers.

There are weapons that are faster on the draw, and movements that take less time before you can react to an enemy.
Read this page on the super basics and then read this page on some other small stuff and you should be good to start.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's basically Battleship except you can reshuffle your pieces every turn. Your goal is to predict the movements/locations of the enemy pieces from what info you have and place yours in such a way to intercept them. It's turn two, a turn is six seconds, it takes nine seconds to get to X, so at 8 seconds, dude with shotgun stops and points at X, where X is a window/doorway/corner. As you lose/kill dudes your information either gets more precise or foggier and you have to start playing against that.

It's a really hard game to describe and teach to someone without playing it at the same time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I'm actually extremely happy about this. I think the 3D DBZ fighting games are loving incredible and I love them so. All the 2D fighting games that aren't on SNES are terrible. The lack of 3D DBZ fighting games is one of the few things that makes me wish I had a console.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cardiovorax posted:

You can simulate your opponent's moves, too.

Basically you start by formulating a general plan and setting all your dudes along paths to execute that plan. Then you try to gently caress it up in-simulation with your enemy's troops. Tweak your troops' commands to cover their vulnerabilities, tweak your enemies' commands to exploit new vulnerabilities, and finally commit your commands when you're satisfied you planned for everything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ymgve posted:

Are you playing against real human opponents? It is basically a game of chess where both players submit their moves simultaneously.

If you didn't already figure it out - you can set a path for your opponent's team's moves in the simulation so you can see how your men will react.
I've only been playing a few rounds of the campaign mode, and no, I hadn't realized that at all. I guess that would explain a whole lot about why everything stands still in simulation but never in the real run.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I saw somebody mention this but Lords of Xulima does seem pretty sweet. Apparently it's an old-school RPG with isometric travelling but first person Wizardry-like turn-based combat during encounters and 100+ hours of play. It received almost exclusively praise in the recommendations. Might be worth checking out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It looks so loving generic, though. Even the name is the most low-effort thing they could come up with. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me, I kinda had my fill of that sort of thing when it was still new.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Doesn't look any more generic than Divinity series. What will make it or break it is the combat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Palpek posted:

Doesn't look any more generic than Divinity series.
Damning with faint praise.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just started playing outlast. Is it more or less all just jump scares and hiding from things if you get spotted while trying to navigate around them in the dark (where they seem to have perfect loving vision after detecting you)?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm actually extremely happy about this. I think the 3D DBZ fighting games are loving incredible and I love them so. All the 2D fighting games that aren't on SNES are terrible. The lack of 3D DBZ fighting games is one of the few things that makes me wish I had a console.

The first 3D DBZ games were pretty great but so far every new interation has just degraded and damaged the formula and made them worse and worse. The latest one, Dragon Ball Z : Battle of Z is probably the worst of them all so far. It took out the enjoyable battle system of the Budokai games and replaced it with a really simplistic rock paper scissors back and forth QTE.

They're bad games don't play bad games

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

I've just started playing outlast. Is it more or less all just jump scares and hiding from things if you get spotted while trying to navigate around them in the dark (where they seem to have perfect loving vision after detecting you)?
Pretty much, yeah.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kin posted:

I wouldn't know, I spent twenty minutes trying to get into the building, then fell off a ladder and died. Truly terrifying.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Palpek posted:

Doesn't look any more generic than Divinity series. What will make it or break it is the combat.

You're generic :mad:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cardiovorax posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Well, i guess i can skip by that one then. Everything seems to predictable and artificially tense, especially with his camera that seems to guzzle through batteries every 2 minutes.

Also also get why there's no ability to fight back (because there wouldn't be much of a game otherwise) but hell if the enemies are just swinging sticks at me, I'm pretty sure I can do the same.

This is the reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Alien isolation.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Generic or no, that looks like a pretty fun game. I wishlisted it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

This is the reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Alien isolation.
Outlast is mediocre even by the standards of the genre. Isolation is supposedly actually good, though, so don't let yourself be scared off by that experience.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

You're generic :mad:

Too bad playing as a dragon was actually extremely boring.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

I can't begin to imagine the dark hell world we live in where I agree with this sentence, but here we are.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deakul posted:

Well hey, that is in and of itself a spectacular achievement. Perhaps not of the kind most people would strive for, but still. :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Divinity 2 was built in GameBryo. You couldn't have forced good action gameplay out of that with an industrial juice press.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Forest co-op was pretty cool, it was glitchy as gently caress but building a camp works a lot faster (obviously) and slinking around in the woods at night being stalked by tribals is creepy and fun. That said we played for two hours and basically completed all the content available so I still wouldn't recommend getting the game yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Divinity 2 was built in GameBryo. You couldn't have forced good action gameplay out of that with an industrial juice press.

Game engines do not work like that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I actually mostly enjoyed the hacky slashy of Divinity 2, it was satisfying in a way.
But, when you turn into a dragon it's only in areas where you have to fight a million floating fortresses with annoying lock on mechanics and annoying enemies.

Really a missed opportunity, back to playing Drakan I guess. :sigh:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Deakul posted:

Drakengard!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

While what Bethesda has done to their homebrew version of Gamebryo is a crime, it's not Gamebryo's fault. Good games can be and have been made on it. Just you know, not many.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Deakul posted:

I actually mostly enjoyed the hacky slashy of Divinity 2, it was satisfying in a way.
But, when you turn into a dragon it's only in areas where you have to fight a million floating fortresses with annoying lock on mechanics and annoying enemies.

Protip: You can land on the floating fortresses and destroy the denizens in human form.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ddraig posted:

Protip: You can land on the floating fortresses and destroy the denizens in human form.

But, I want to be a dragon. :saddowns:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Prokhor posted:

The first 3D DBZ games were pretty great but so far every new interation has just degraded and damaged the formula and made them worse and worse. The latest one, Dragon Ball Z : Battle of Z is probably the worst of them all so far. It took out the enjoyable battle system of the Budokai games and replaced it with a really simplistic rock paper scissors back and forth QTE.

They're bad games don't play bad games

Man, that's too bad to hear. I really liked Budokai Tenkaichi on the Wii, and I'm super excited to see all these kinds of games that have typically remained console exclusive coming to PC lately.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Divinity 2 is a very good game and far from generic. It's also hilarious at times. I think my personal favorite was the talking chest that tries to seduce you, and this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfX5oii5M

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, that's too bad to hear. I really liked Budokai Tenkaichi on the Wii, and I'm super excited to see all these kinds of games that have typically remained console exclusive coming to PC lately.

The Naruto fighting games are also peak anime but unlike DBZ they've been getting progressively better with each iteration. I'm hopeful that now that the series is done we'll get one major anniversary edition and have the whole story start to finish with the best and brightest systems to send the series off.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Prokhor posted:

The Naruto fighting games are also peak anime but unlike DBZ they've been getting progressively better with each iteration. I'm hopeful that now that the series is done we'll get one major anniversary edition and have the whole story start to finish with the best and brightest systems to send the series off.

Honestly, I think the Naruto game on Steam might be the worst fighting game system I've ever played.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Honestly, I think the Naruto game on Steam might be the worst fighting game system I've ever played.

It's definitely more about style and visual appeal e.g. super moves than it is for technical systems, but what they focus on they do well I feel. What do or don't you like specifically?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Prokhor posted:

It's definitely more about style and visual appeal e.g. super moves than it is for technical systems, but what they focus on they do well I feel. What do or don't you like specifically?

Oh, man. I wrote a big post about it a while ago because I was so perplexed by how it could be as bad as it is, when it had some cool ideas. I'll just paste that in:

I played Naruto Storm 3 Ultimate Ninja Something Something at my friend's house the other day, and man, what a weird, badly designed game. I wasn't expecting it to be a proper fighting game, mind, but more something along the lines of the Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi games, which are pretty good dumb fun. People had told me that it was a successor to that series, and that the games were good even if you didn't care about Naruto.

Nope. First off, I tried playing the single player, and the average 90-second fight can seriously have up to 30 minutes of cutscenes in between. And of course, it's braindead garbage. I just started mashing start to skip to the next fight, but hey, it's a fighting game.

I shelved the game thinking that its mechanics might make more sense against a human opponent, because the AI pretty much seems to just do things randomly.

Pretty much a no there as well, however. The game makes some bizarre mechanics choices that I don't understand at all.

First off, the game has eighty four characters, and with the exception of maybe two or three, they all play exactly the same. Secondly, there is no zoning in this game. A button press instantly dashes you towards your enemy, at any range, with super armor. This uses a small amount of super gauge, but super gauge is meaningless in this game. You can charge your super meter by holding a button, and despite having ranged attacks, it isn't at all dangerous to do. You can dodge auto-dodge them all just by holding down a button. In fact, ranged attacks are completely worthless.

When you first hit somebody, hitstun is so long that you're guaranteed a full, pre-set combo every time. Blocking takes long enough to do that you can rarely accomplish it, and if you do, there's a guard break meter and grapple moves to punish you, and the blockstun recovery is long enough that this is easy to accomplish. Basically, blocking is worthless too.

Instead of blocking, the game has another mechanic called "substitution" where pressing a button will cause you to counter-teleport directly behind your opponent, instantly. This is the biggest flaw with the game- this system is just awful. You start the match with five charges on your substitution meter. The first time you or your enemy is about to land a hit, the other person will substitute and appear behind the attacker. Then, the attacker will do the same to the initial defender. Rinse and repeat until one player's meter is empty, at which point that player will be helplessly comboed until they've taken enough damage to get another substitution charge. This happens every single time, because the only other option is to just get pulled into a combo.

The game offers a support character system that is actually pretty interesting. You can bring two characters with you on a team, with Marvel-style choices for moves (attack/defend/cover fire). Assigned buttons will call those characters forth to do their move, which presumably would help you charge meter or move in for an attack, if either of those things were ever difficult to do at all. You basically mash these buttons as soon as their cooldown is up, though, because the more you use them, the more their friendship meter or whatever builds up, which makes them jump into the fight (either automatically or sometimes by button prompts) to soak up hits for you or pop in and add attacks to a combo. This actually looks really cool and is kind of a neat feature, though the whole team meter poo poo should just have been done away with.

The problem is, you'll never see that cool stuff in a real match, because the health bar is so miniscule. In the story mode, you usually have around three life bars, and can have up to six or seven sometimes. In VS, both players only ever have one. None of this increasing tension/escalating power stuff ever happens, because one or two combos and a super move will end every match in like thirty seconds. There is no way to handicap or adjust this.

It's seriously the most thoughtless, weird, clumsy game I've played in a long time. The movement is kind of neat and the support system could be cool, but the game squanders all of that. Also, Naruto is really, really loving dumb.

In summation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3Y-bdcjFc&t=16s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orv posted:

While what Bethesda has done to their homebrew version of Gamebryo is a crime, it's not Gamebryo's fault. Good games can be and have been made on it. Just you know, not many. any.
There, now it's true.

• Locked thread