Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It's Mega Man X and it's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's Mega Man X and it's not even close.

Yes, this.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wildtortilla posted:

Also gently caress anyone with disparaging comments about Super Metroid.

A couple parts of the game were merely very good rather than excellent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trent posted:

A couple parts of the game were merely very good rather than excellent.

Well poo poo, you shouldn't have gone and said that. :toughguy:

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So Super Mario RPG. Its not on the wii u vc and the wii vc download will only work with the wii classic controller and not the wiimote/nunchuck or pro controller?

This is the first time that I've really been disappointed by the virtual console setup and its pretty loving lame.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

davey4283 posted:

So Super Mario RPG. Its not on the wii u vc and the wii vc download will only work with the wii classic controller and not the wiimote/nunchuck or pro controller?

This is the first time that I've really been disappointed by the virtual console setup and its pretty loving lame.

Super Mario RPG is worth the price of a Classic Controller, not to mention a bunch of other games on there that need the Classic Controller.

However, I will agree that it is really lame that the Classic Controller is discontinued while a lot of games on the Wii VC need it and haven't yet made it to the Wii U VC. You'd think Nintendo could at least sell refurbed ones from the online store, but I don't think they do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A cheapo third party classic controller really won't make much difference on SNES games.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

davey4283 posted:

Yeah, does anyone have any idea why they didn't just move the entire Wii VC library over to the a Wii U? I can understand if like they haven't gotten the N64 emulation working well enough on Wii U, but NES, SNES and GBA all works fine. Why not just port it all over?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Probably because they are taking the time to enhance each game with savestates and remappable controls. That said, I don't know why it takes so long to do that for each game but that's my guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's more like they have to get the rights holders of those games to sign on, and they have release schedules. They don't want to release everything they have at once for whatever reason.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Because it's Nintendo. They don't do rational.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It's because they sell more games overall if they do it piecemeal you dorks.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

oddium posted:

Super Metroid is a complete boring chore to play with boring design and boring bosses and I would choose to play Metroid Fusion over it every. single. day. of. the. week.

But we've been here before

you're a loving retard

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They probably figure if they dump all the games they own the rights to right away on the eShop, there'll be these long gaps of time where there will be zero VC releases until a third-party decides to release something, and then everybody can complain about no VC games for six months at a time instead of one VC game release every week.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I guess that also explains why the long gap between Mario Kart 8 DLC packs. We're gonna have to wait until May 2015 for the 2nd pack. I understand not blowing your load early, but that's ridiculous.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

oddium posted:

Super Metroid is a complete boring chore to play with boring design and boring bosses and I would choose to play Metroid Fusion over it every. single. day. of. the. week.

But we've been here before

I didn't know this type of hate speech was allowed on these forums.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Starhawk64 posted:

I guess that also explains why the long gap between Mario Kart 8 DLC packs. We're gonna have to wait until May 2015 for the 2nd pack. I understand not blowing your load early, but that's ridiculous.

Huh? They release half of it when the game is still relevant and in time for Christmas. They work on the rest to make sure hold on to their games and not sell them, and also create a buzz a good while after it's initial release. It's hardly a mystery.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Huh? They release half of it when the game is still relevant and in time for Christmas. They work on the rest to make sure hold on to their games and not sell them, and also create a buzz a good while after it's initial release. It's hardly a mystery.

And it's a good strategy. They could have just dumped both packs on us and that be it. But because they hold off, it extends interest in the game. I still think the time gap is a little ridiculous though. May 2015 for the Animal Crossing pack, are they loving serious?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Starhawk64 posted:

And it's a good strategy. They could have just dumped both packs on us and that be it. But because they hold off, it extends interest in the game. I still think the time gap is a little ridiculous though. May 2015 for the Animal Crossing pack, are they loving serious?

Do you think content just magically appears or something?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shelf Adventure posted:

Do you think content just magically appears or something?

No, but it shouldn't take six or so months for a DLC pack. But what do I know? I'm just impatient.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mario Kart 8's DLC is too good, it killed my TV :(. Also, finally got around to playing the Master Quest DLC for Hyrule Warriors, it's great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They didn't start on MK8's DLC until after it was done. The next pack comes out in April because that's how long it takes to finish.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The release day is specifically chosen to be a point in time when it will cheer you up the most.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah and isn't the usual DLC complaint that people think it's stuff that was cut from the main game? With Mario Kart that clearly isn't the case. It's the good kind of DLC and I like having reasons to return to the game down the line.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is probably something about 99% of you already know, but holy poo poo does the Wii U Pro Controller have an amazing battery life. I bought a Wii U about a week and a half ago, and for whatever reason the charging cable for the controller came loose somewhere around the 75% mark on that first charge. I didn't even realize it until the LED lit up red last night.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and isn't the usual DLC complaint that people think it's stuff that was cut from the main game? With Mario Kart that clearly isn't the case. It's the good kind of DLC and I like having reasons to return to the game down the line.

Even as someone skeptical of Nintendo's ability to catch up all the time, it's crazy to me that people would have any complaint at all with any of Nintendo's DLC on the Wii U so far. Super Luigi U was exactly what they said it would be and awesome, the Mario Kart packs have a ton of stuff for the price, the Hyrule Warriors one is like 90s $19.99 PC game expansion caliber it's awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Some of their 3DS dlc, mainly Fire Emblem and NSMB2 have seemed like nickel and diming, but the rest, and all WiiU DLC has been solid.

Well maybe not Pikmin 3. The challenge maps are solid but its all "Pay 3.99 for four challenge packs" type DLC.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Finally got around to playing the MK8 DLC. I played as Tanooki Mario driving the Blue Falcon in Hyrule. That's a statement that a kid makes up and says "It's true, I saw it. My uncle works for Nintendo."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mario Kart's dlc includes a ton of new tracks. Many people thought they wouldn't offer new tracks at all because that's a LOT of new assets, I.e. a lot of work. I'd imagine they also don't have the full team still there working on dlc, they probably were assigned to other projects. Frankly it's impressive they're offering so many tracks and that they're so high quality.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They really shouldnt have made the Wii U Pro controller. It just makes the pile of compatible controllers look more daunting than it is, it makes people think not getting remotes is a good idea, and the only things they offer over the Wii Classic is no cord and clicky sticks (which nobody likes anyways), while losing all backwards compatibility.

Neo Rasa posted:

Even as someone skeptical of Nintendo's ability to catch up all the time, it's crazy to me that people would have any complaint at all with any of Nintendo's DLC on the Wii U so far. Super Luigi U was exactly what they said it would be and awesome, the Mario Kart packs have a ton of stuff for the price, the Hyrule Warriors one is like 90s $19.99 PC game expansion caliber it's awesome.

The DLC is just another symptom of them not catching up with the times. In 20 years theyll finally get around to locked-on-disk DLC, intentionally cut content DLC, and The Real Ending DLC while everyone else is already charging per minute on their own publisher-specific game streaming services.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 15, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the pro controller is great, actually

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gutcruncher posted:

They really shouldnt have made the Wii U Pro controller. It just makes the pile of compatible controllers look more daunting than it is, it makes people think not getting remotes is a good idea, and the only things they offer over the Wii Classic is no cord and clicky sticks (which nobody likes anyways).

The DLC is just another symptom of them not catching up with the times. In 20 years theyll finally get around to locked-on-disk DLC, intentionally cut content DLC, and The Real Ending DLC while everyone else is already charging per minute on their own publisher-specific game streaming services.

Yeah, no. What they should have done is just dropped the Wii Remotes entirely and just let everything use the Pro Controller.

Also you forgot "battery that lasts roughly until the heat death of the universe."

The Pro Controller is the best drat controller you can get for the system. Well... I guess the Gamepad is cool too but still.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

They really shouldnt have made the Wii U Pro controller. It just makes the pile of compatible controllers look more daunting than it is, it makes people think not getting remotes is a good idea, and the only things they offer over the Wii Classic is no cord and clicky sticks (which nobody likes anyways).

I'm smart enough to understand what controller to use when so I think it's good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Some of their 3DS dlc, mainly Fire Emblem and NSMB2 have seemed like nickel and diming, but the rest, and all WiiU DLC has been solid.

Well maybe not Pikmin 3. The challenge maps are solid but its all "Pay 3.99 for four challenge packs" type DLC.

Fire Emblem is actually pretty up to date with how NIS/etc. do their nickel and diming. I got some of the extra grinding maps but didn't bother with much of it, but they nailed the target audience of the game pretty flawlessly with it. But with Mario Kart's DLC I notice some game sites have articles about how it's not a big enough update, uh.......

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

I'm smart enough to understand what controller to use when so I think it's good.

Until you get the console, it's definitely confusing. I mean, Smash has 10 controller configurations. However, I agree that they should have dropped the Wiimotes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Neo Rasa posted:

Fire Emblem is actually pretty up to date with how NIS/etc. do their nickel and diming. I got some of the extra grinding maps but didn't bother with much of it, but they nailed the target audience of the game pretty flawlessly with it. But with Mario Kart's DLC I notice some game sites have articles about how it's not a big enough update, uh.......

For less than the cost of a single COD map pack, you expand the game by HALF! What the gently caress is wrong with people

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

But with Mario Kart's DLC I notice some game sites have articles about how it's not a big enough update, uh.......

For some reason a bunch of people think adding more characters is more important than there being a ton of new tracks.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

For some reason a bunch of people think adding more characters is more important than there being a ton of new tracks.

Because there definitely aren't enough characters in Mario Kart. I would have loved real battle maps though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

You forgot one

Art Alive > Mario Paint

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFsbDGE-4E

Oh my god I forgot about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fremry posted:

Because there definitely aren't enough characters in Mario Kart. I would have loved real battle maps though.

I would have loved you to stop posting after you got added to the thread title.

• Locked thread