Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Something is terribly hosed when it comes to balance. One side always have ridiculous advantage and steamrolls another, no exception. Haven't seen a balanced matched since the update came out. Attack/defense doesn't matter. Also, 2800+ per team is the most I've ever seen play online. There are however ridiculous number of thompson-wielding bazooka man in Ally infantry ranks. All while half of German soldiers show up with KAR98 and run for the hills to play sniper for some dumb reason.

I have come across one person with a Thompson while playing this. Don't the Germans usually win most Wars? I imagine it's all subjective. I felt like I would get outgunned by the Germans unless I got the jump on them since their starting MPs seem better. That being said it feels amazing to clear out a building of 5 Germans with my Grease Gun. In close quarters fighting you are hosed with against any of the machine pistols or smg type guns. I think half of my kills come from people holding their grenades in their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I have come across one person with a Thompson while playing this. Don't the Germans usually win most Wars? I imagine it's all subjective. I felt like I would get outgunned by the Germans unless I got the jump on them since their starting MPs seem better. That being said it feels amazing to clear out a building of 5 Germans with my Grease Gun. In close quarters fighting you are hosed with against any of the machine pistols or smg type guns. I think half of my kills come from people holding their grenades in their hands
Germany used to dominate before the update. Now it's probably just a matter of learning the ins and outs of the new system. If you want to know why Germany is doing better, look at the nation chat. It's filled with war nerds who take this game incredibly seriously. They are very well organized and even have a semblance of discipline. Allied chat is way more laid back and people communicate their attacks less.

On the ground however, things could go either way. The weapons function nearly identically, save for appearance and sound. The only weapon worth modifying at all is the bolt action rifle, because the number of shots matter the most. And the pistol, but it's more or less a troll weapon anyway.

If you're playing get in mumble. I usually leave it open, and we can link up.

Edit: Just got my first squad, this is fun! Deployed in Zurich and started moving it towards the Verdun. History in the making :D

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 4, 2014

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi
I'm so angry at myself for finding this game. I have an incredible boner for this kind of shooter. The tactical map and incredibly flawed but somehow satisfying progression system turns this from a 'why aren't I playing Red Orchestra,' to a game that I've managed to dump over sixty hours into in the past week and a half. I've gotten enough enjoyment out of it that I've payed $25 to unlock a scoped Kar98 and a month's worth of Veterency.

I'm playing as one of Ze Germans. I can't connect to the chat host (I get the 599 error) but I'm all set up in the CTS mumble. Friend me and/or message me when you're online and you want to push the inferior Americans back into the seas that they crawled from.

Username: Lt.BarronVonButtes

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's a CTS mumble?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Five minutes into my first match and I can already tell I'm gonna love this game. My randomly generated German soldier (Ingomar Schultz) ringing his little bicycle bell while pedaling into certain death is more fun than most the AAA games I've played all year.

How do you get the combat ribbon if you don't start with a melee?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 5, 2014

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi

Nitrox posted:

What's a CTS mumble?

Camping the Stairs (or CTS) is the name of the mumble server, iirc.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is there any disadvantage to spawning in a jeep or whatever every time? It was relatively cheap and seems like a no brainer. There has always been at least one division or whatever that allows me to spawn in mine every time, but most people seem to just spawn on foot. I've only played 15 rounds or so so I'm not super good at the game but I can't be the only person to have figured this out. Is it subtracting resources from me somewhere or something?

Also do I have to wait until I've ground all the way up to General before I can participate in the strategic metagame?

Edit--also, what mods do we like for the g43? What I typically do is drive a wagon to a cap point and loiter around the edges, too far to use an SMG but too close to use anything like a K98. What does the Precision stat do exactly? I want something I can just aim at dudes heads from short-medium range and kill in two or three shots from like 75-175 feet away.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

quote:

Is there any disadvantage to spawning in a jeep or whatever every time? It was relatively cheap and seems like a no brainer. There has always been at least one division or whatever that allows me to spawn in mine every time, but most people seem to just spawn on foot. I've only played 15 rounds or so so I'm not super good at the game but I can't be the only person to have figured this out. Is it subtracting resources from me somewhere or something?
There is a limited number of jeeps available to be on the map at once, so you're denying other people by spawning yours. You just won the queue lottery, that is all. Probably because you're new and not carrying much gear, which delays respawn. There is also a finite number of cars. If you bring up the map, look at your name and squad loadout. A number next to <ooo> is a number of cars remaining. Use them wisely.

quote:

Also do I have to wait until I've ground all the way up to General before I can participate in the strategic metagame?
You can buy and deploy a squad at level 12.

quote:

Edit--also, what mods do we like for the g43? What I typically do is drive a wagon to a cap point and loiter around the edges, too far to use an SMG but too close to use anything like a K98. What does the Precision stat do exactly? I want something I can just aim at dudes heads from short-medium range and kill in two or three shots from like 75-175 feet away.
You can do all that with your plain G43. Also, get inside the cap. Getting 5XP for killing a guy is peanuts compared to 145XP for capturing the objective solo. Pick up squadmates in your car, especially if they're whistling at you. It's a team game and the overall objective should be your #1 priority. And that means capping and denying cap zones.

Precision stat on a rifle it probably keeps your crosshairs tighter. Don't modify weapons unless you're swimming in money. Fully modded weapon could leave you with a negative cash balance after the end of a match. It's awful and not worth the trouble. Notice how high level players leave their weapons unmodded. Unless they're snipers. It's kinda worth it then.

Edit: It's worth sticking with a weapon because it will unlock another down the road. You starting rifle will let you buy a machine gun at level 6. Or switch to smgs and upgrade to mp40.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Good to know aboutthe cars. I have never run out but something to keep an eye on. I've also never seen a tank or a plane so I think I'm on some sort of newbie or tutorial island, will combined arms maps unlock automatically soon?

I didn't see anything about upkeep on the g43 mods except for ammo. Will the actual rifle mods cost me money over time?
For the record I do get inside the cap I just clear it out from range first then once I'm in it defending becomes, typically, a similar type of ranged battle. I'm earning tons of XP and cash on most maps because I cap cap cap. I'm like CAPtaiin America.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Also, do not be the guy, sniping in the woods, while his cap point is getting taken 50 meters away. Bolt action rifle is a honeypot for assholes, everyone seem to forget about the bigger picture and crawl around the woods, lining up perfect head shots. We just lost a game because of that exact thing. A crate of free K98's is loving poison and should never exist.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's kinda funny to unlock the car stealing perk and joy riding around the map while someone else covers my expenses.,

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sharzak posted:

Will the actual rifle mods cost me money over time?
I'd also like to know this. So mods are not a single-time expenditure?

So the repairs are what makes them costly?

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 6, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

You equip mods (make sure you actually equip them after you buy them. I went my entire G43 usage before realizing this :negative: ) and they degrade over time. You need to repair them or unequip them eventually or the weapon becomes unusable. You'll get a prompt when this is getting close.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

There are however ridiculous number of thompson-wielding bazooka man in Ally infantry ranks.

Huh? How?
Thompsons are 6 points, bazookas are 5. You only have 10 points unless you drop all but 1 bazooka round or one magazine of 30 rounds for the Thompson.
Is there a ribbon to carry more points or something? I'm always limited to 10 points here - is there a way to drop the points on the Thompson?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mod your gun all you want. The repairs aren't ridiculous. The ammo however is. Don't change the ammo

I think it's a lot more useful if not everyone jumps on the cap. Spread out and cover entries/exits. You get decent xp for cap defense and savior kills. Also you can save your squad from getting wiped due to a grenade

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Republicanus posted:

Huh? How?
Thompsons are 6 points, bazookas are 5. You only have 10 points unless you drop all but 1 bazooka round or one magazine of 30 rounds for the Thompson.
Is there a ribbon to carry more points or something? I'm always limited to 10 points here - is there a way to drop the points on the Thompson?
Thompson with 1 clip + bazooka = 10 points. Equip HOARDER badge (+1-3 clips/rockets), go wild. It's my standard loadout. Kills infantry, cars and tanks. I'm routinely on top of the scoreboard and have walked out of missions with over 2000 exp. Killing enemy armor in a cap point is like 150 exp. And those assholes like to roll up right into barns and poo poo, thinking they're invulnerable.

Another good loadout is SMG/Rifle + Tellermine + shovel + DYNAMITE LOVER
You get a total of 4-6 mines depending on badge progress and can lock down parts of a map all by your lonesome. Hop on a bicycle, roll up behind an enemy tank and place 1-2 tellermies right behind it. They are dirt cheap, so feel free to put down extra. back off about 10 meters, and shoot 1 mine making them all go off. Usually 1 is enough to pop a light tank, 3 for a Hellcat. Once that tanker re-spawns, he will be loving scared to hang around and will advance slower, giving your team some breathing room.

I personally go after tanks with vengeance and furious anger
Pistol + Bazooka + Tellermine + motorcycle = tanks get really loving nervous. Having progressed through the tank ranks, I'm well aware where they usually spawn and camp. And if that spawn point has a resupply box nearby, it's be covered in mines. In 1 battle, 3 enemy tanks never left spawn, and had to chase me around B1 compound for like 15 minutes. Until our guard infantry showed up and capped that poo poo. If I could mine the skies and take down fighter planes, I totally would :D

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Also utterly hilarious is Scoped K98 with an SMG backup. :getin:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Oh, I didn't notice that you can select a different menu BGM in the menu's settings. Neat.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Any commentary on the new guns ? Allegedly Rock Paper Shotgun is creaming themselves over this new mythic pack which makes the game now not a PUG clusterfuck.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Hal_2005 posted:

Any commentary on the new guns ? Allegedly Rock Paper Shotgun is creaming themselves over this new mythic pack which makes the game now not a PUG clusterfuck.
What guns are those?

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
The tank que is insane I'm hitting 10min+ wait times.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The learning curve for this game is incredible. There's people who have played for months that don't understand basic concepts of the game. I don't blame them entirely, as reto's ability to educate players is poo poo.

They essentially had a contest begging users to update their extremely out-of-date wiki.

On a side-note, I don't recommend spending any amount of money on the RTS part of the game... it is in flux, and rules changes can immediately nullify your purchase. I have not seen anything like that on the FPS side... yet (other than the steam bundles being a steal compared to standard prices).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Buying binoculars makes you a squad leader and lets you shout orders at people. Goddamn

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Buying binoculars makes you a squad leader and lets you shout orders at people. Goddamn

You know what to do: Bring only binoculars, scream at people all match. Maybe a Pistol as well.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Haerc posted:

You know what to do: Bring only binoculars, scream at people all match. Maybe a Pistol as well.

:commissar:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Haerc posted:

...scream at people all match...

Sounds like a typical H&G match to me.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Haerc posted:

Scream and whistle.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Haerc posted:

For some reason my account was upgraded for 24 hours today, so i took full advantage of the extra loadout slot.

Mauser C96, Binocs, K98 and sticky grenades. And you know what? People are playing like the devils, when they see actual objective markers on the map and a polite commissar shouting words of encouragement...*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvYLJBffNk

*Sticky grenades kill teammates dead and anyone caught camping in the woods will have one up their rear end quickly.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Quite nice game, i have played for around 2 weeks. Even if i enjoy it a lot, i do see it's limitations: not enough maps(yet), and some imbalanced weapons(Tompson) and too many Guards deployed (too few tanks and airplanes).
Anyway, loving the game!

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Do they ever run specials on gold? I don't really want to "skip" ahead by buying the DLC packs. However, progression is pretty grinding. Even with good scores, raising credits is slow. Is a membership worthwhile?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

L-Boned posted:

Do they ever run specials on gold? I don't really want to "skip" ahead by buying the DLC packs. However, progression is pretty grinding. Even with good scores, raising credits is slow. Is a membership worthwhile?

If you play every day, then yes premium is worth it. Only pack worth buying in steam store would be the Tanker packs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm still catching up on the thread, but I downloaded this game this morning and have been playing Allies. I really want that sweet, sexy motorcycle- is it true that you get Driver points by simply driving around? If so, what is the rate? Could I potentially just ditch battles for a while and take nice drives and eventually have a motorcycle?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Professor Shark posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread, but I downloaded this game this morning and have been playing Allies. I really want that sweet, sexy motorcycle- is it true that you get Driver points by simply driving around? If so, what is the rate? Could I potentially just ditch battles for a while and take nice drives and eventually have a motorcycle?
Yes. No idea. Yes.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor Shark posted:

Grab the car stealing perk, follow motorcycle allies like a wolf, steal their bikes when they die, ride around like a madman.

If you want you can convince people to join your ride by honking in spawn and take them on a ride with you. That way you get driver and taxi points meaning you'll be closer to a bike and an halftrack!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I regret buying the halftrack. Rarely join a game with mechanized infantry and when I do you better not leave that thing anywhere near enemy infantry. Seems like the theft time is significantly less than that of a jeep

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mans posted:

Grab the car stealing perk, follow motorcycle allies like a wolf, steal their bikes when they die, ride around like a madman.

If you want you can convince people to join your ride by honking in spawn and take them on a ride with you. That way you get driver and taxi points meaning you'll be closer to a bike and an halftrack!

I think I'm going to work this into my character: Harold Winter grew up on a small farm and promised himself that one day he would see the world. When he was drafted, he saw an opportunity to realize his dreams, so now he steals cars during battles and goes for long rides, away from the craziness of battle, enjoying the portions of Europe untouched by war... with his Grease Gun, who he talks to because it understands him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Action Report: My character has begun luring unwary young players into the back country under the guise of "sniper hunting", which worked great because you can actually come across the occasional sniper who has decided to spend 20 minutes trekking about in the woods in order to get those sweet from behind kills. After a while they seem to catch on, but I'm almost Lv 3 with my Chauffeur and hit Lv 4 with my Driver!

Next rank I get Gold Unlock (I've been using Silver), which means it'll be even easier to steal cars in the middle of firefights, haul rear end back to the spawn to pick up a naive passenger, then ride off into the romantic sun set..

I've also included a touch of Stuntman Steve from Death Proof- Winters is also a serial killer who is aroused by running down soldiers with his car. They say he honks right before he overtakes you...

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Haha, the motorbikes really make you forget about fighting sometimes. When I steal a WLA, my first impulse is to find the biggest ramp that exists and see how many somersaults that baby can do.

Also, paint my Shadow Phantom in olive darb and install a brown springer seat this winter :)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You can just drive a full jeep of dudes from the spawn to objectives. Most people will jump right in. No need to screw them over and take them to bfe while you lose the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Mans posted:

If you want you can convince people to join your ride by honking in spawn and take them on a ride with you.
The day I learned that honking cannot be heared by other players was the day my heart broke.

• Locked thread