Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

LordPants posted:

One of Love & Rockets' most endearing features is the way they straight up pretened that wrestling is real.

And when wrestlers get in street fights... well...

That's just a german suplex, and as someone that's been dropped on their head in (submission) wrestling competition, I can confirm that it's very real.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

LordPants posted:

One of Love & Rockets' most endearing features is the way they straight up pretened that wrestling is real.

And when wrestlers get in street fights... well...

pretty sure if you execute a german suplex on concrete your opponent IS going out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Possibly in a body bag.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Probably in a wheelchair.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not the greatest example, I know, because a German suplex/belly to back suplex is something that is 'real', but it has a whole different context within pro-wrestling where it is incredibly 'fake' with someone going up for the move to help you look good when you do it. In terms of how this comic is presented (with professional wrestling being 'real'), it's like if John Cena got into a fight and gave someone an attitude adjustment and knocked them out cold.

Only she's probably more of a bad-rear end than John Cena. :)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The suplex is a real thing that is used by Olympic wrestlers.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The pro-wrestling context kind of cheapens it, imo. It'd be cooler if it was just a wrasslin' lady using a legit technique to dump a chump on his head-- which is really all you see on that page, and it's probably better for it.

e: too many words, not enough badass panels. I'm a sucker for more grounded fighting, so have some all rounder meguru:

http://imgur.com/a/F9abM

also:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 15, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Those pages are the raddest thing I've seen in a DC book in a long, long time.

\

My irrational hatred of anime caused me to close this book at the hipster otaku shopkeeper and drop the series again. gently caress is that insufferable.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

That's just silly. You're silly.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Soonmot posted:

My irrational hatred of anime caused me to close this book at the hipster otaku shopkeeper and drop the series again. gently caress is that insufferable.
Shocking truth: The people the book is targetted at? They probably grew up watching Teen Titans on Toonami. Including modern kid's tv as backstory is a smart choice that helps the reader identify with the protagonist. Also drat, you old son

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm more offended* that a Smart Independent Heroine had to panic and regress to memories of a children's cartoon to come up with one of the oldest and simplest plans in the book for dealing with two dumb enemies riding motorcycles in a predictable pattern

* not actually offended at all but it's still silly

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I read issue 35 and didn't understand a drat thing, there were a lot of characters that were just there and now barbara has that bullshit cbs procedural eidetic memory thing which looks so dumb. The art was fun and the explanation for the new costume was rad, I'll give it that.

I did have a bad day when I read it do maybe its more on me, but it's not as new-reader friendly as some people might say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's almost like the comic isn't aimed at grown-rear end men anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

I read issue 35 and didn't understand a drat thing, there were a lot of characters that were just there and now barbara has that bullshit cbs procedural eidetic memory thing which looks so dumb. The art was fun and the explanation for the new costume was rad, I'll give it that.

I did have a bad day when I read it do maybe its more on me, but it's not as new-reader friendly as some people might say.

She's always had eidetic memory, or at least she did when she was Oracle I thought.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Counterpoint: DC hasn't made a real effort to sell comics to kids in loving forever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Possibly in a body bag.

No, that's only if you turn your back on the Wolfpac.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Well, what if I want to read Batgirl huh? It's misandry I tell ya! #batgirlgate

Seriously though, is there a re-cap somewhere that I can read to get up to speed and give the issue another go?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Barbara and Black Canary's dialogue was enough to set it up, but maybe #34 helps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Like I said, I followed 35 just fine jumping I am cold. The last thing I've read with Barbara in it was Black Mask, Killing Joke before that, so I don't really know anything about her. The only thing I've read with Black Canary was Longbow Hunters years ago. I wasn't confused by anything and figured I'd pick up on who all the characters are as the series goes on from context clues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I mean, I kinda know that the New52 set-up has Barbara and Dinah hating each other for some reason (because girls can't be FRIENDS, lol :jerkbag:). They just barely got along out of necessity in the early issues of the relaunch Birds of Prey. The eidetic memory thing has been part of the character for ages, it's just that no-one really used it for more than a convenient excuse for her to be able to spout exposition until now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Nope. I'm glad Academy and this new Batgirl are there, but they really are not anything I can drum up enthusiasm for outside of bringing in new fans. I am a bit miffed that, without the anime poo poo and if the hipster poo poo was toned down a bit, there's no reason this couldn't have been a Stephanie Brown Batgirl, but that's more of a problem I have with the overall nu52. I was just kind of hopeful that with Wonder Woman and Red Lanterns ending, these new bat books would keep me reading some non-Vertigo DC.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
drat kids get off my Batgirl :arghfist::corsair:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

drat kids get off my Batgirl :arghfist::corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJRkj9DP9Y

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Soonmot posted:

Nope. I'm glad Academy and this new Batgirl are there, but they really are not anything I can drum up enthusiasm for outside of bringing in new fans. I am a bit miffed that, without the anime poo poo and if the hipster poo poo was toned down a bit, there's no reason this couldn't have been a Stephanie Brown Batgirl, but that's more of a problem I have with the overall nu52. I was just kind of hopeful that with Wonder Woman and Red Lanterns ending, these new bat books would keep me reading some non-Vertigo DC.

I kinda agree with you. It feels very twee. I guess it's just not for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

We're not doing that anymore.

Soonmot posted:

Honestly, considering it's a bit of a shift for Barbara too, you could pretty easily sub in Steph and her mother for Babs and Jim, and I'm not sure much would be lost, and they could've kept Oracle, thus getting two marketable characters for the price of one

I wonder how open they're going to be to revisiting some of these ditched legacy things if the tie-ins to Convergence do well.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wonder Woman as drawn by Gilbert Hernandez, ladies and gentlemen.

Re:Batgirl, the leap from Simone's New 52 incarnation to issue #35 has been nothing but upgrades, in my opinion. From the (colorful!) art to the (creative!) layouts to giving Babs a social life, I am an enthusiastic subscriber. As for the criticism that she should call in favors to get a large hard drive, some guy on campus loaned her a hard drive, no Bat required.

Gotham Academy, on the other hand... I'm down for the premise and beautiful art, but two issues in I still can't piece the scenes together. As in, I can tell where the series seems to be going but the story isn't getting told nearly well enough to get there. It reminds me a bit of Pretty Deadly in that regard, with each issue making me think, "This is fun to look at, but what the hell is everyone talking about?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

We're not doing that anymore.

Honestly, considering it's a bit of a shift for Barbara too, you could pretty easily sub in Steph and her mother for Babs and Jim, and I'm not sure much would be lost, and they could've kept Oracle, thus getting two marketable characters for the price of one

I wonder how open they're going to be to revisiting some of these ditched legacy things if the tie-ins to Convergence do well.

It's Babs because Geoff Johns hates Stephanie Brown with a passion. 4 loving Robins in the New 52 (guess which one's missing) and only one Batgirl.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Space Fish posted:

As for the criticism that she should call in favors to get a large hard drive, some guy on campus loaned her a hard drive, no Bat required.

I mean, I'm okay with how the story plays out, you just need ignore that some of her problems could be solved with a call to Bruce, just like a lot of Batman's problems could be solved by a call to Superman.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Re:Batgirl, the leap from Simone's New 52 incarnation to issue #35 has been nothing but upgrades, in my opinion. From the (colorful!) art to the (creative!) layouts to giving Babs a social life, I am an enthusiastic subscriber. As for the criticism that she should call in favors to get a large hard drive, some guy on campus loaned her a hard drive, no Bat required.

This is so true. Simone's Batgirl was just straight up poo poo. This new one, while I dislike it, is an actual good book. Just one that doesn't appeal to me.

For badassitude: Fastball special Captain Marvel/Hulk edition from the Avengers: The Last White Event trade.

EDIT: Not badassed: Hyperion's silly scream when being blasted in the middle panel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Soonmot posted:

For badassitude: Fastball special Captain Marvel/Hulk edition from the Avengers: The Last White Event trade.

EDIT: Not badassed: Hyperion's silly scream when being blasted in the middle panel

I'm not super familiar with current Marvel stuff- is that Captain Marvel throwing Hulk from space? I'm going to need some context here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I'm not super familiar with current Marvel stuff- is that Captain Marvel throwing Hulk from space? I'm going to need some context here.

Yes. She's throwing him at Starbrand. Hickman's Avengers run is super good.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Uthor posted:

I mean, I'm okay with how the story plays out, you just need ignore that some of her problems could be solved with a call to Bruce, just like a lot of Batman's problems could be solved by a call to Superman.

I am shocked, shocked, that the teenager/young adult would try to solve problems on her own (even if it's less than ideal) rather than ask a father figure to solve all her problems for her.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cpt. Marvel's mask is so bitchin

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Cpt. Marvel's mask is so bitchin

Eh, I think it looks pretty silly, but I hate Captain Britain's stupid helmet and boots too, and everyone loves those.

(The rest of the costume is awesome, and I think there's a reason McKelvie's original design doesn't have the mask. He's really good at this sort of thing, so don't mess with it.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 18, 2014

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

New Leaf posted:

Starbrand manifested his powers, killing hundreds of people. When the Avengers arrived, he accidentally blasts the Hulk into space. Captain Marvel flys up to retrieve him, and a bad rear end moment happens.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Wait, is the the same Starbrand from New Universe/New Universal/etc?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

No no no, but there was a White Event a la New Universe, and a Starbrand was...branded.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Heresiarch posted:

No. Hickman's Avengers is using a lot of New Universal ideas, but they're not the same people. There's a Nightmask too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doesn't that mean the answer to his question is yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I think it looks pretty silly, but I hate Captain Britain's stupid helmet and boots too, and everyone loves those.

(The rest of the costume is awesome, and I think there's a reason McKelvie's original design doesn't have the mask. He's really good at this sort of thing, so don't mess with it.)

Yeah, sorry but the horse mane is uggo and the rest of the mask looks like it belongs on a nu52 Dark Flash.