Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Shinichi consumed most of his fat stores while lying passed down on the wooden floor. That's also going to make you look more defined.

Also, I'd like to say that this show has some excellent direction. It's not ostentatious, no fancy angles, just really good composition and timings. It really brings out the trauma of the characters and the sheer energy and anger that Shinichi has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I like it when Migi says water is cold

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

All I have to say is he could've named his right-hand Rosey. Migi is so prosaic. Really.

After last week's episode, I had to hunt down the manga and then I read the the whole drat thing in a couple of days.

I will say I did enjoy it, and I wouldn't have known about the manga without this show. Also, the manga ended earlier this year long ago, so the story is complete.

(ed:corrected)

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 14, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What? The manga ended in 1995.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I can't wait to meet (manga spoiler) Chinny! :allears:

Candy Dawn fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 14, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

More so at how gaunt he looked right after he woke up.

Jesus christ, yeah, he turned into loving Emiya Kiritsugu for a good chunk of the episode. :stare: I have to admit, though, I would have been down with that as a permanent character design change.

Also if you don't like Migi you're literally hitler, Migi is the best :colbert:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God this show is so fantastic, I gotta thank my friend for recommending it to me.

From that conversation in the hotel room last episode, I'm getting the feeling that some of Shinichi's emotions might have started to bleed into Migi's personality much like Migi's abilities basically turned Shinichi into spiderman.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Migi is like a combination of meth and roids.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Shinichi consumed most of his fat stores while lying passed down on the wooden floor. That's also going to make you look more defined.

Also, I'd like to say that this show has some excellent direction. It's not ostentatious, no fancy angles, just really good composition and timings. It really brings out the trauma of the characters and the sheer energy and anger that Shinichi has.

The directing seems straightforwards, but solid. It's really the animation direction that's really stealing the show. All those little details would have been easy to miss if not handled well - or on the other side of the spectrum they could have been annoyingly blatant - but they managed to present them all effectively and efficiently.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Mercrom posted:

Migi isn't a character as much as an exposition machine and high school philosophy class who constantly follows the main character

You complain about Migi's lack of development and yet you completely miss the changes it went through in this episode. Good job.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ryas posted:

You complain about Migi's lack of development and yet you completely miss the changes it went through in this episode. Good job.
I never complained about Migi's lack of character development. Kyubey doesn't develop at all and that might the best written character in anime.

Also I didn't see any evidence of Migi going through more than physical changes this episode. If in the future they deal with Migi gradually becoming human and developing other values that might be interesting, but that's all complete speculation right now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mercrom posted:

Kyubey doesn't develop at all and that might the best written character in anime.

You're not helping your case with that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

trucutru posted:

You're not helping your case with that.
And it's not supposed to because I'm not going to discuss that show in this thread.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How about the fact that Migi decided it trusted Shinichi enough to tell him its critical weakness? Until now Migi has pretty much relied on a threat of violence to keep him in line.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How about the fact that Migi decided it trusted Shinichi enough to tell him its critical weakness? Until now Migi has pretty much relied on a threat of violence to keep him in line.
No matter what the author's intention is, Migi telling Shinichi their mutual fatal flaw is objectively self-serving. Even Migi's subdued tone is only evidence of caution, fear or even calculated manipulation because of Shinichi's mental trauma. There is no evidence Migi has changed other than vague stuff like the fact it absorbed part of Shinichi, and vaguer narrative hints like "If only Migi was a true ally to humanity!", or Migi once again "reassuring" Shinichi that it saved his life only because his life sustains Migi's.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Mercrom posted:

No matter what the author's intention is, Migi telling Shinichi their mutual fatal flaw is objectively self-serving. Even Migi's subdued tone is only evidence of caution, fear or even calculated manipulation because of Shinichi's mental trauma. There is no evidence Migi has changed other than vague stuff like the fact it absorbed part of Shinichi, and vaguer narrative hints like "If only Migi was a true ally to humanity!", or Migi once again "reassuring" Shinichi that it saved his life only because his life sustains Migi's.
Migi asked if Shinichi was alright with killing his mother (now). I think that's significant.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

blankd posted:

Migi asked if Shinichi was alright with killing his mother (now). I think that's significant.
Migi asked the same thing about the pregnant woman. I don't exactly know what it is, but it's not new. As I wrote before it could either be voiced curiosity, a practical consideration of his resolve, or genuine empathy for Shinichi. There is no way to tell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mercrom posted:

Migi asked the same thing about the pregnant woman. I don't exactly know what it is, but it's not new. As I wrote before it could either be voiced curiosity, a practical consideration of his resolve, or genuine empathy for Shinichi. There is no way to tell.

Yeah, but.. that ambiguity is the whole point. Is Migi really being self-serving or is he just dressing it up that way and is starting to feel empathy? You could ask the same of Reiko too, is it just scientific curiosity about her baby or is that just how she rationalises her feelings?

Basically all the parasites are tsundere.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well considering they've merged a bit more closely after getting stabbed, it isn't out of the line if their minds change a little as well.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
"I-it's not like I w-wanted to devour your central nervous system or an-anything... I just happened to be in the area. It's all a coincidence. A coincidence! You d-dummy."

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Sophism posted:

"I-it's not like I w-wanted to devour your central nervous system or an-anything... I just happened to be in the area. It's all a coincidence. A coincidence! You d-dummy."

Baka!

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, but.. that ambiguity is the whole point. Is Migi really being self-serving or is he just dressing it up that way and is starting to feel empathy? You could ask the same of Reiko too, is it just scientific curiosity about her baby or is that just how she rationalises her feelings?
I can't really argue your point. We can't really know whether ambiguity was the author's intent or not, so it's open to interpretation.

One one hand, the characters clearly state that the parasites don't act out of empathy, and there is no in-universe reason for them to start acting out of empathy. Everything that has happened is perfectly consistent with this belief, and there is absolutely no rational reason for a character in the story to think otherwise.

On the other hand, it makes sense for Shinichi to irrationally be grateful to Migi for saving his life, and to start irrationally trusting someone he spends every hour of every day with and who his fate is intertwined with. He is being manipulated, either by Migi or the author's narrative.

If you put yourselves in the character's shoes I think it's pretty clear which belief is right. We are not characters though, and we can see the strings being pulled. In reality all aspects of the story are manipulative, and there is no actual rational interpretation. I don't personally like it, but the ambiguous interpretation is valid.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

On the third hand, Migi turned into a literal heart, and it's somewhat valid to assume the author's metaphorical intent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mercrom posted:

there is no in-universe reason for them to start acting out of empathy.

That we know of yet.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

On the third hand, Migi turned into a literal heart, and it's somewhat valid to assume the author's metaphorical intent.
Assume? No. Consider? Yes.

Sakurazuka posted:

That we know of yet.
Yeah, well, it's not like I'm going to speculate based on future plot developments. Unless your point is that everything is ambiguous because I don't know what the author does next.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Migi knows he can bail out of Shinichi at any time and share the body of some unfortunate sap with another parasyte. This would certainly increase his fighting potential and survivability. He already knows quite well how humans behave so the fact that he's staying with Shinichi and even donating some cells to him (even if it's out of necessity) means that he has something more than pure survival in his mind.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 14, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

trucutru posted:

Migi knows he can bail out of Shinichi at any time and share the body of some unfortunate sap with another parasyte. This would certainly increase his fighting potential and survivability. He already knows quite well how humans behave so the fact that he's staying with Shinichi and even donating some cells to him (even if it's out of necessity) means that he has something more than pure survival in his mind.

No, he doesn't. He says so himself. He knows he could certainly try, but there is a very low guarantee it would work because he only knows how to be an arm.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Migi's observed another parasyte directly bodyjacking Shinichi's mother. Migi is quite capable of putting two plus two together at this point. Parasytes rely on a host, but not any one host.

Migi considered jumping ship from Shinichi in the past. He is less likely to consider it in the future.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

No, he doesn't. He says so himself. He knows he could certainly try, but there is a very low guarantee it would work because he only knows how to be an arm.

He's an (extremely) rational being first and foremost. He knows it can be done and that it should be even easier for him, since he's just a hand. He cannot be a head, but I am talking about sharing a host with another parasite.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

trucutru posted:

He's an (extremely) rational being first and foremost. He knows it can be done and that it should be even easier for him, since he's just a hand. He cannot be a head, but I am talking about sharing a host with another parasite.

Still, he'd be attaching himself to an unknown element. He's been with Shinichi long enough to have a reasonable idea with his behavior. By joining another parasite, he could end up with a "host" that's as batshit as A-san.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
He has another valid reason not to jump. Since Shinichi is human, he can be influenced by words, so Migi has some measure of control over their actions. However, if another parasyte was in charge of the brain, Migi could only influence its actions as far as rational discussion can take him, which might be absolutely nowhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, now he's integrated himself so much with his host, odds are a body-jump is no longer an option. It's implied the surgery he did on Shinichi was pretty unprecedented.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Their entire race and everything about them is unprecedented. :v:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
One of the main themes of the story is the concept of tabula rasa.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

I thought the spoiler word was going to be penis.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Migi is a bit of a dick though :downsrim:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oh and the fact that losing your right arm would terribly, terribly inconvenient for Shinichi. I thought he also hinted that Migi is pretty much the only thing that can fight the aliens and stop them apart from burning the world down ofc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

Oh and the fact that losing your right arm would terribly, terribly inconvenient for Shinichi. I thought he also hinted that Migi is pretty much the only thing that can fight the aliens and stop them apart from burning the world down ofc.

Nah, he is the only thing that can find them. The parasites don't have any convenient immunity to bullets and they die if their host does unless they can jump ship in time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Phobophilia posted:

Migi's observed another parasyte directly bodyjacking Shinichi's mother. Migi is quite capable of putting two plus two together at this point. Parasytes rely on a host, but not any one host.

Migi considered jumping ship from Shinichi in the past. He is less likely to consider it in the future.

The parasyte that bodyjacking Shinichi's mother was already a head-parasite though. Sure, he might be able to get on as a hand with someone else, but what benefit would that give him? And its pretty apparent the parasites have virtually no loyalty to each other as a species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

The parasyte that bodyjacking Shinichi's mother was already a head-parasite though. Sure, he might be able to get on as a hand with someone else, but what benefit would that give him? And its pretty apparent the parasites have virtually no loyalty to each other as a species.

Two parasytes cooperating in the same body can deal with more stuff than a single one and, since they are not competing for the same spot, it is pretty logical to team-up to improve your survivability, which is all they are supposed to care about.

• Locked thread