Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Anyone know anything about roller equipment bags? Are they all pretty much the same? Should I just get the best deal I can find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Real talk, I'm just getting back into regular gym work outs and I am so excited to see if my speed improves. The interval training sounds smart too.

The downside is that if I get significantly better in any way, it just means I'm a dick unless I move up a league. And then I will suck again.

If you ever get the chance via a clinic do overspeed training. It was crazy fun when we were growing up.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone know anything about roller equipment bags? Are they all pretty much the same? Should I just get the best deal I can find?

I am assuming you're talking about the gear bags that have wheels and a handle like luggage and not roller [hockey] equipment bags. I can't imagine there being bags specific to roller hockey but I guess that's all beside the point.

Anyway, I have known a few guys that have had them and after a while regret getting them and eventually switch back to their old bag/get a new conventional bag. The complaints I hear are that they are just too cumbersome and not really worth some of the troubles they cause against not having to actually carry their gear. I'll also point out that the "hallway" to get through to the locker rooms at our rink is painfully narrow and that is where some of the problems exist. Also I have heard complaints about storage of the bag when empty because you can't just fold it up and stuff it somewhere it is basically like storing a suitcase, which again is a very minor inconvenience but I'm just passing info along.

I've never actually owned one either so take all this with grain of salt I guess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wheelie bags own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most of the wheeled bags I've seen become normal bags after about 9 months when the wheels break off.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

If you've got just a players kit then you absolutely do not need a wheelie bag. Its only when you get round to becoming a goalie does having a gigantic bag with loads of space come in handy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shut up Zip get out goalies vacate

Yeah idk wheelie bags look nice if you don't have many steps. I have a lot so I'd be carrying it mostly anyways and I don't want that extra weight

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Unless you get the new fancy expensive stand-up ones, wheelie bags are way too big and cumbersome. You also end up carrying them a lot because they're useless in snow and mud, and loud as gently caress at home if you live in an apartment. Also they take up way more room in the locker room. And don't fold in to any useful shape.

If you need a gargantuan bag for whatever reason, just buy a gargantuan bag, avoid wheels.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They make plenty of normal-sized bags with wheels. And with straps to carry up stairs.

Seriously, wheelie bags own. Only cavemen carry their gear.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 14, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What owns is the $23 youth sized bag I bought. It's cheap, small, and my stuff fits in it. Being able to breeze through doors is nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah i can't fit my stuff in a youth bag i don't think, i also have like 4 jerseys + sock sets in my bag because i am lazy and wheels are heavy

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Most of the wheeled bags I've seen become normal bags after about 9 months when the wheels break off.

My wheelie bag that I got in 2003 worked fine until I retired it this spring. I'm happy with my switch to a backpack, though.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So the reason I'm looking for wheeled bags is cause I signed up for a league in central park this winter. Unfortunately I work up in CT, so I'll have to schlep this massive rear end traditional bag for a 10 minute walk to the train, then another 10 minute walk from harlem 125 to the subway. 2 stops on the subway to 110th, and then another 5-10 min walk to the rink in Central Park. Then after when I'm exhausted from the game I get to do the whole thing in reverse. I just figured with all that lugging I'll have to do it would be worth getting a wheeled bag. But yes I just have players gear.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My wheelie bag that I got in 2003 worked fine until I retired it this spring. I'm happy with my switch to a backpack, though.

How do you like the backpacks? Do they actually fit all your gear/ how absurd does it look when you're wearing it?

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would consider getting some kind of luggage hand truck, if only because you can get them with bigger+rubberized wheels. I imagine that would be a lot more comfortable to tow along sidewalks.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I love having my backpack. I purchased one of those like $25 TRON ones that has lasted me 2-3 years so far. I can easily fit all of my player gear in it as long as I pack it creatively (gloves and elbows inside my pants). It is nice to just have both hands free to open doors or carry something else besides my sticks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

So the reason I'm looking for wheeled bags is cause I signed up for a league in central park this winter. Unfortunately I work up in CT, so I'll have to schlep this massive rear end traditional bag for a 10 minute walk to the train, then another 10 minute walk from harlem 125 to the subway. 2 stops on the subway to 110th, and then another 5-10 min walk to the rink in Central Park. Then after when I'm exhausted from the game I get to do the whole thing in reverse. I just figured with all that lugging I'll have to do it would be worth getting a wheeled bag. But yes I just have players gear.

I did a similar trek in college given where I had to park (not in NYC though). I can't imagine wheeling a bag around Manhattan with all of the poo poo that is on the ground during inclement weather.

Any shot you can ditch the equipment locally or are you playing elsewhere? I'd almost consider doubling up everything but skates / gloves / stick and just carry that stuff with you.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Jovial Cow posted:

How do you like the backpacks? Do they actually fit all your gear/ how absurd does it look when you're wearing it?

I really like it. I'm sure it looks a little goofy with the skate pockets, but it's light and (relatively) small. I have an intermediate pack and all my gear fits easily without any special jenga. I have to go up stairs to get to the locker rooms at one of my rinks and it is so much easier to haul than the old bag.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

dms666 posted:

I love having my backpack. I purchased one of those like $25 TRON ones that has lasted me 2-3 years so far. I can easily fit all of my player gear in it as long as I pack it creatively (gloves and elbows inside my pants). It is nice to just have both hands free to open doors or carry something else besides my sticks.

Yea, you look like a loving goober with them, but the backpack bags are great.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe not something anyone can answer but as a very casual player (once a week, non-checking adult league with a 'no slapshot' rule) is it worth it to switch from a wood to composite stick? I have only been playing a year after a 30-year hiatus and I don't have a strong shot, but I'm wondering if the stick type would matter in any case since there's no slappers in my league so the two sticks I have are pretty much like new (to look at, at least).

I don't mind spending some dosh on a better stick, but not if there's no point since my shot will still suck. Thanks for any help.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Tochiazuma posted:

Maybe not something anyone can answer but as a very casual player (once a week, non-checking adult league with a 'no slapshot' rule) is it worth it to switch from a wood to composite stick? I have only been playing a year after a 30-year hiatus and I don't have a strong shot, but I'm wondering if the stick type would matter in any case since there's no slappers in my league so the two sticks I have are pretty much like new (to look at, at least).

I don't mind spending some dosh on a better stick, but not if there's no point since my shot will still suck. Thanks for any help.

If you check hockeymonkey or hockeygiant and sign up for their weekly email ads you can score some nice stuff. I just received a mako 3 and 2 graf supras for 50 dollars each. As someone that loved old school wood sticks the difference in being able to manipulate a lighter composite stick is pretty significant. You can also load up a composite in ways you can't with wood. Don't think I could go back to the lumber :(.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

5-2 win over the second worst team in the league :woop: We are now no longer the worst, because we are tied with them for points and have games in hand.

It finally snowed. It was weird going to the first month or two of games in shorts and a t-shirt. It feels like hockey season is finally here.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pleads posted:

5-2 win over the second worst team in the league :woop: We are now no longer the worst, because we are tied with them for points and have games in hand.

It finally snowed. It was weird going to the first month or two of games in shorts and a t-shirt. It feels like hockey season is finally here.
Yes well imagine continuing to do that well into December and sometimes January. It doesn't feel right or normal to come out of hockey in the winter months and end up getting hotter when you get outside.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pleads posted:

:sigh:

I'm still waiting for the lakes to freeze.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Tochiazuma posted:

If you don't mind spending the dough, definitely treat yourself to a higher end composite stick. Snappers become so much more fun to do. Just be prepared to spend that much on sticks from here on out because it's pretty hard to go back to cheaper sticks.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I have a decent wood stick, and a cheap as hell composite. The composite is way better.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
A few quick Qs:

1. Grew up playing competitive hockey but haven't played in quite some time. Never played pickup games or anything. What's the best way to find your way on a beer league team? I don't have any hockey friends here in town and I coach with much older guys who have no interest in playing in a men's league.

2. I finally broke the holders on my vintage Supreme 5000s and while I am able to get new ones from the local pro shop (in white, not black :sigh:) I'm not sure I'll be able to dig up extra runners or holders if they do go again. The ankles in the boots are finally starting lose their stiffness as well. How much am I looking to spend to feel like I'm getting a downgrade from top-of-the-line 1998 skates? (Gotta be Bauer or someone else who uses Tuuks.)

Gonna miss these bad boys when they do go. All the plastic bits have already fallen off.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 15, 2014

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I had those same 5000s until the tuuks broke away from the boot. I've had several pairs since then but I got the skates pictured below for $150 a few years ago, black tuuks and all. They were great at first, then hurt my feet real bad after like a year. Then after a month or so of pain it went away and have been wearing them ever since. Don't know where the random pain came from wearing them but just about when I had reached my limit the pain from wearing them went away. Anyway I've had em like 4 years and I've got minimal complaints. I'd say I've gotten my money's worth at $150.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Tochiazuma posted:

I have a wood and a composite stick (both Sherwoods with a 90 flex) and I prefer them for different uses. If I play forward I'll use the composite because even wristers can get more elevation with a composite. I use the wood for defense because I'm mainly using it for solid passes. If you want to try out a good composite stick and not have to shell out the :10bux: see if you're near a Play It Again. I got my composite there for less than $50 because their new gear is last year's model.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PFlats posted:

1. Grew up playing competitive hockey but haven't played in quite some time. Never played pickup games or anything. What's the best way to find your way on a beer league team? I don't have any hockey friends here in town and I coach with much older guys who have no interest in playing in a men's league.
I just Googled "<area> rec league" when I moved to a new place and it usually gave a few options. Then just contact whoever runs the league/website/whatever and say you're interested in playing. They'll usually reach out to the team captains and see who needs what, or else at least give you some people to contact yourself.

Unless you live in a place with a really organized league (HNA or ASHL), in which case you can sign up as an individual and they'll put you on a team that has a roster with space.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dudeabides posted:

I have a wood and a composite stick (both Sherwoods with a 90 flex) and I prefer them for different uses. If I play forward I'll use the composite because even wristers can get more elevation with a composite. I use the wood for defense because I'm mainly using it for solid passes. If you want to try out a good composite stick and not have to shell out the :10bux: see if you're near a Play It Again. I got my composite there for less than $50 because their new gear is last year's model.

Wood for solid passes? This makes absolutely no sense.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I could see a 5 pound wooden stick being good for making sure you win stick battles and such by virtue of literally wielding the bigger stuck and knocking aside lighter composites.

"Harder passing" is mental gymnastics.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Pleads posted:

I could see a 5 pound wooden stick being good for making sure you win stick battles and such by virtue of literally wielding the bigger stuck and knocking aside lighter composites.

Definitely mental gymnastics but it helps me sleep at night.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're asking a lot of the two wet noodles I have controlling it

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

PFlats posted:

A few quick Qs:

2. I finally broke the holders on my vintage Supreme 5000s and while I am able to get new ones from the local pro shop (in white, not black :sigh:) I'm not sure I'll be able to dig up extra runners or holders if they do go again. The ankles in the boots are finally starting lose their stiffness as well. How much am I looking to spend to feel like I'm getting a downgrade from top-of-the-line 1998 skates? (Gotta be Bauer or someone else who uses Tuuks.)

Gonna miss these bad boys when they do go. All the plastic bits have already fallen off.

You can always have a Pro Shop throw on a set of LS2/3 Tuuks on any new skate. Just buy whatever fits and go that route.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

You can always have a Pro Shop throw on a set of LS2/3 Tuuks on any new skate. Just buy whatever fits and go that route.

Yep. If he's held up by all black I have these (they came with my skates) and they're functional as anything else

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Tuuk_Lightspeed_2_Limited_Edition_Black_Holder/itm/5130-2/?mtx_id=0

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pleads posted:

Harder, yeah, all in your head. But I could see a less experienced player making more consistent cleaner passes with a heavier stick, because it forces you to have a more deliberate motion and might keep your wrists from breaking too early. (And in my experience, cheap composites have same issue with puck feel that the old aluminums did: hard to tell where on the blade your puck is without looking down.)

sellouts posted:

Yep. If he's held up by all black I have these (they came with my skates) and they're functional as anything else

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Tuuk_Lightspeed_2_Limited_Edition_Black_Holder/itm/5130-2/?mtx_id=0

Not held up at all these days, but when I was 13 I was super proud of my badass black skates. I'd always buy black replacement laces for them. :allears: I got black socks for practice to go with my D-man black practice jersey, black helmet, cage, pants, gloves... I was so cool. Everyone envied my setup, even if nobody ever commented on it.

And then coach moved me up to wing and I got a colorful jersey instead.

edit: VVVV :sissies: VVVV

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 16, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Then get those and you'll be the belle of the ball.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

PFlats posted:

(And in my experience, cheap composites have same issue with puck feel that the old aluminums did: hard to tell where on the blade your puck is without looking down.)
Wait are you not supposed to skate with your head down and eyes laser focused on the puck on your stick? No wonder everytime I get to the bench my linemates keep telling me how open they were and why didn't I pass to them?

E: oh and some stick chat. I just bought a new stick, cheapy Bauer Supreme 160. Coulda got it cheaper on Hockey Monkey but only by $5 and $5 is worth the instant gratification in my world. But the difference between that stick and a wooden stick is huge and then when you compare them to the sticks that cost $175-$220 it is crazy how much lighter they are. I have a lovely wooden stick that I picked up just to play pond hockey with and I used it a couple times at pickups just to see how it felt and I don't think I'll ever go back to a wooden stick. They just feel funny now compared to the newer stuff.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 16, 2014

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Wait are you not supposed to skate with your head down and eyes laser focused on the puck on your stick? No wonder everytime I get to the bench my linemates keep telling me how open they were and why didn't I pass to them?

E: oh and some stick chat. I just bought a new stick, cheapy Bauer Supreme 160. Coulda got it cheaper on Hockey Monkey but only by $5 and $5 is worth the instant gratification in my world. But the difference between that stick and a wooden stick is huge and then when you compare them to the sticks that cost $175-$220 it is crazy how much lighter they are. I have a lovely wooden stick that I picked up just to play pond hockey with and I used it a couple times at pickups just to see how it felt and I don't think I'll ever go back to a wooden stick. They just feel funny now compared to the newer stuff.

Even though the lightness of the high-end sticks is nice, the real benefit is the perfect balance they have. That is what really makes all the difference in a great stick vs a poo poo one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Welp. Broke one of my Mako M2's. At 5'8" 160lbs, I'm thinking about going to an intermediate stick. The Makos were 85 flex cut about 2" and felt super stiff. Anyone got a stick they like? Last Easton and Sherwood T90 I owned were no bueno.