Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
don't even bother with linux + ati. that combination leads only to tears.

linux graphics:
  • intel GPUs work fine but performance sucks compared to windows
  • nvidia works fine and performance is OK
  • ati doesn't work well, isn't compatible with anything, and performance is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't even bother with linux

fixed lol

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Smythe posted:

i think starcraft 2 has a native linux client also? and all source engine games? right?

the source stuff does, possibly not tf2 for some reason but the others do. they even released many of the pre-source halflife1 games in linux.

i suspect lots of the small timey developers work in linux

vvvv whoops, you are correct

crusader_complex fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 16, 2014

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
TF2 was one of the first games they ported to linux

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my amd in linux is much improved in the last year. don't use amd's drivers though use the open source ones they're surprisingly better

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

TF2 was one of the first games they ported to linux

garbage game for a garbage is lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

my amd in linux is much improved in the last year.

people have been saying this to me every year for ten years

my stepdads beer posted:

don't use amd's drivers though use the open source ones they're surprisingly better

they're less crashy but they're still hella slow

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

garbage game for a garbage is lmao

TF2 is a really good game.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
tf2 used to be a good game

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*clears throat* I never liked TF2, and preferred Fortress Forever.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

trilljester posted:

I tried out elementaryOS last night on my daughter's old Acer netbook. It actually runs decent on a machine with only a gig of RAM. Serious needs suiting going on there.

next try haiku! you don't even need that much RAM or disk for it!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

fglrx is seriously garbage and has always been.

The quality of the code in the userland AMD driver looks horrible from the outside: using valgrind on a program using the AMD driver causes valgrind to complain about the large number of errors (ioctls using unintialized structures, access to unintialized memory). In some error cases, instead of reporting an error to the caller, the AMD driver will simply call exit(123) and kill the whole application. This kind of issues impacted SDL 1.3: calling XCloseDisplay caused the driver to exit. A workaround was put in place later in SDL 2.0 to avoid this problem which should have never happened in the first place. Fun fact: this bug was found while writing a minimal program that reproduce the mipmapping issue…

But bugs don’t only happen on fglrx: the Windows AMD driver also has a few major bugs. AMD supports a form of client-side buffer storage that would be extremely useful for Dolphin. It is exposed via the AMD_pinned_buffer extension. Using AMD_pinned_buffer with Vertex Buffers or Uniform Buffers works perfectly, but trying to use it with Index Buffers starts rendering random polygons. Because of this issue, we had to stop using AMD_pinned_buffer for Index Buffers, leading to decreased performance for AMD users of our OpenGL backend.

To this day we’re still not sure how to report fglrx bugs to AMD: we haven’t seen developers reply to bug reports on their official forums, and while there is an unofficial bug tracker for fglrx issues it does not seem to be looked at by AMD developers and keeps accumulating new issues.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

to be fair, valgrind requires annotations on all system calls and ioctls to determine which parameters are in, out or in/out.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

to be fair, valgrind requires annotations on all system calls and ioctls to determine which parameters are in, out or in/out.

How else is it going to work

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

How else is it going to work

my point was that valgrind complains about fglrx because it doesn't have any of the annotations, not because fglrx is necessarily reading uninitialized memory

otoh, http://richg42.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html is still as amusing as ever

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, mesa fails the "clean valgrind" test too. The rest of fglrx is terrible. And then don't get me started about Mali. I started working on a Mali-based product in the last month, and I've already reported around 12 Mali bugs to ARM.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

to amd's credit, they are taking measures to address their lovely drivers and they are doing it in a way that mostly placates the rms-style "NO CLOSED DRIVERS EVER :byodood:" sperglords. unfortunately the new drivers will only work on the R9 285 and newer cards so if you have a 7000 series or an 'old' R7/R9 card you are still screwed.

it's too bad that amd's software sucks and maxwell is kicking their teeth in on the hardware side because they are actually fairly non-lovely as a company when it comes to publishing hardware specs and generally being less scummy about things compared to nvidia.

Sudo Echo posted:

But bugs don’t only happen on fglrx: the Windows AMD driver also has a few major bugs. AMD supports a form of client-side buffer storage that would be extremely useful for Dolphin. It is exposed via the AMD_pinned_buffer extension. Using AMD_pinned_buffer with Vertex Buffers or Uniform Buffers works perfectly, but trying to use it with Index Buffers starts rendering random polygons. Because of this issue, we had to stop using AMD_pinned_buffer for Index Buffers, leading to decreased performance for AMD users of our OpenGL backend.

I liked how amd's opengl driver guy gave a talk at gdc about using multidraw indirect when their drivers still didn't have support for it, more than a year after the gl 4.3 spec was released. even mesa had support months before them. then, when the driver that did support it was released a month or so later, actually calling glMultiDrawArrays caused the driver to crash.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 16, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

it's too bad that amd's software sucks and maxwell is kicking their teeth in on the hardware side because they are actually fairly non-lovely as a company when it comes to publishing hardware specs and generally being less scummy about things compared to nvidia.

they behave this way because they're getting their asses kicked by nvidia

it's always cheaper to publish information than to improve your proprietary driver on a platform where you have no market share

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Read the bug comment. Some people don't use workspaces to separate activities.

you had a ux problem so you asked a bunch of what are probably the worst possible ux opinion havers what they'd like and so now you have a garbage option that satisfies nobody instead of doing one thing properly

lunix in a nutshell

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just switched it so alt tab switches between windows in a single workspace like god intended. Problem solved.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I would straight up murder a man to have the multimonitor workspace behaviour shamelessly copied from how OSX has done it since mavericks.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just switched my work machine from a 2009 i7 920 with 18GB ddr3 ram running fedora to a 2008 mac pro with dual xeons and 32GB ddr2 fbdimm with osx
it's a downgrade on hardware but holy poo poo is the desktop better, so much for linux on the desktop

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

with two more systemd-related resignations from debian over ian jackson, even bruce perens has joined in

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Progressive JPEG posted:

with two more systemd-related resignations from debian over ian jackson, even bruce perens has joined in

that russ allbery letter is pretty good -- he goes out of his way to be reasonable and polite

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what systemd is but it must be good if its making greybeards quit Linux.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

you had a ux problem so you asked a bunch of what are probably the worst possible ux opinion havers what they'd like and so now you have a garbage option that satisfies nobody instead of doing one thing properly
this is the ubuntu philosophy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

idk what systemd is but it must be good if its making greybeards quit Linux.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

quote:

Spelling

Yes, it is written systemd, not system D or System D, or even SystemD. And it isn't system d either. Why? Because it's a system daemon, and under Unix/Linux those are in lower case, and get suffixed with a lower case d. And since systemd manages the system, it's called systemd. It's that simple. But then again, if all that appears too simple to you, call it (but never spell it!) System Five Hundred since D is the roman numeral for 500 (this also clarifies the relation to System V, right?). The only situation where we find it OK to use an uppercase letter in the name (but don't like it either) is if you start a sentence with systemd. On high holidays you may also spell it sÿstëmd. But then again, Système D is not an acceptable spelling and something completely different (though kinda fitting).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

if i had a nickel for every time bruce perens "quit" debian i might retire

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

a gui that does one thing properly is appealing as a design concept, but it doesn't satisfy the users who actually exist

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a gui that does one thing properly is appealing as a design concept, but it doesn't satisfy the users who actually exist

the usual gnome response is to declare this a bug in the users

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

"cache invalidation and naming things"

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

crusader_complex posted:

i suspect lots of the small timey developers work in linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

and here's a third one now jeez

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahahaha Bruce Perens is a huge babby

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you wouldn't make a change to kernel scheduling based on how a bunch of graphic designers think, you'd take their input on responsiveness as part of the design process but develop something that works based on its own merits

this is the Software Engineer Problem because engineers think that any non code issue is trivial so you get piss ui

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do a little bit of UI stuff at work and i try to reject as many direct suggestions from my users as possible, understand pain points instead and bring a spiked out UI to a UX and it results in way happier people all around because I know my limitations (and am colourblind lol)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

you wouldn't make a change to kernel scheduling based on how a bunch of graphic designers think, you'd take their input on responsiveness as part of the design process but develop something that works based on its own merits

kernel scheduling isn't a user interface. i can objectively measure how well a kernel schedules processes without ever asking a user about his preferences

for a ui, to get any meaningful information, you have to listen to users. real users.

if your users are sperglord loving systems administrators, make an interface for sperglord loving systems administrators. imagining some other audience you wish you had won't produce a good UI for the audience you actually have

i mean, gnome 3 exists. that is pretty much all i have to say to refute any argument that mentions designers: "gnome 3"

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I write a UI and it's for sperglords, and they get exactly what they deserve.