Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Is this the good Japanese wrestling or the vanilla looking guys stiffing/chopping each other Japanese wrestling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Is this the good Japanese wrestling or the vanilla looking guys stiffing/chopping each other Japanese wrestling?

Both

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

spudsbuckley posted:

Shibata as about as stiff & Vanilla as it gets but the top 3 guys Okada, Tanahashi, and Nakamura are anything BUT generic. There's also AJ Styles and Kota Ibushi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f07qmtOA0i4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_qtu6e2OEw

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 12, 2014

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Shibata as about as stiff & Vanilla as it gets

There's nothing vanilla about literally the prettiest head of hair in professional wrestling.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NienNunb posted:

There's nothing vanilla about literally the prettiest head of hair in professional wrestling.

He looks like a lego man. It looks like he just clips his hair onto his head.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

theres gonna be an Introduction to NJPW thing from jarrett later today

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He looks like a lego man. It looks like he just clips his hair onto his head.

And that is beautiful.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Because on a fundamental level, I find watching wrestling to be an enjoyable endeavor when it makes me have an emotional reaction. There are many possible ways for this to happen. I'd guess at least 80% of them are lost immediately or at least hindered when I can't understand the promos / interviews / commentary.

There have been a number of comments that NJPW is more like UFC, and in most UFC fights I don't give a poo poo about either fighter or who wins. If something amazing and unexpected happens in the fight, maybe I will become engaged, but it's far from every match, and with the brand dilution I barely watch MMA anymore.

NJPW being a work not a shoot has an extra hurdle to cross. Because at this point as a wrestling fan I'm so worn out by spot monkeys barely selling the sort of moves that used to be called "high risk" that if I never see a plancha ever again I'll just be grateful. Neat spots don't make me have an emotional reaction. So I don't know what could make me be engaged. In fact a buddy of mine that watches NJPW shot me a link to watch an AJ Styles match that he really liked at G1 Climax as an example and it did nothing for me.

So when I'm told that 90% of the story comes from what is done in the ring, that means I'm expecting that only 10% of the story has to carry making me care, and that 10% is the part that is in a language I don't understand. And the face/heel divide is a tremendously convenient shorthand in terms having people to root for and care about and other people to boo and want to see get their comeuppance, and a shorthand that transcends language. It's one more thing that could help my give-a-poo poo get past the language barrier as a wrestling fan, so how can I celebrate it's absence?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sub Rosa posted:

Because on a fundamental level, I find watching wrestling to be an enjoyable endeavor when it makes me have an emotional reaction. There are many possible ways for this to happen. I'd guess at least 80% of them are lost immediately or at least hindered when I can't understand the promos / interviews / commentary.

There have been a number of comments that NJPW is more like UFC, and in most UFC fights I don't give a poo poo about either fighter or who wins. If something amazing and unexpected happens in the fight, maybe I will become engaged, but it's far from every match, and with the brand dilution I barely watch MMA anymore.

NJPW being a work not a shoot has an extra hurdle to cross. Because at this point as a wrestling fan I'm so worn out by spot monkeys barely selling the sort of moves that used to be called "high risk" that if I never see a plancha ever again I'll just be grateful. Neat spots don't make me have an emotional reaction. So I don't know what could make me be engaged. In fact a buddy of mine that watches NJPW shot me a link to watch an AJ Styles match that he really liked at G1 Climax as an example and it did nothing for me.

So when I'm told that 90% of the story comes from what is done in the ring, that means I'm expecting that only 10% of the story has to carry making me care, and that 10% is the part that is in a language I don't understand. And the face/heel divide is a tremendously convenient shorthand in terms having people to root for and care about and other people to boo and want to see get their comeuppance, and a shorthand that transcends language. It's one more thing that could help my give-a-poo poo get past the language barrier as a wrestling fan, so how can I celebrate it's absence?

Fair enough.

I mean NJPW is nothing like UFC, and the point made about the blurring of face and heel divides is more that the big heel stable is now more face like. It's still professional wrestling and if you can follow a live show then you can follow the product. Yes the stories get told in the ring, but that doesn't change that stories are told, and that in turn stories are told in packages and hype videos and promos. I'm honestly not trying to tell you how to watch the show, just that most of your concerns aren't something that I think really applies to the product and are just misconceptions about the product.

It still has good guys and bad guys, and its pretty obvious which is which.

Seriously the show is going to have English commentary, so if there was ever a show to check out to be sure whether or not the product is for you it's this one.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i'm probably starting to sound like a broken record on this but 90s AJPW had little face/heel divide and stories primarily told in the ring in a language i can't understand and it's easily the most emotionally engaging wrestling i've ever seen because the overarching storylines are down-to-earth, relatable stuff that (most importantly) you can actually get over through the wrestling rather than cartoon silliness. you got jumbo trying desperately to cling onto his spot as ace while misawa tries to unseat him, then kawada trying to strike out on his own rather than live in the shadow of misawa, kobashi trying to prove he's worthy of being misawa's second after kawada leaves the stable, etc... i wouldn't put current NJPW on the level of that stuff but it's similar conceptually.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Seriously the show is going to have English commentary, so if there was ever a show to check out to be sure whether or not the product is for you it's this one.
Oh, yeah, I definitely am. JR getting announced sold the PPV to me.

And actually, a different buddy of mine just shot me a link to recent match that I loved, Chase Owens losing the NWA Jr. Heavyweight Championship to Jushin Liger. I used to watch Chase weekly in a terrible indy in East Tennessee that I mostly went to to bullshit with Ricky Morton at his merch table before the show, and it was wonderful to see him working with Liger, who was one of my favs as a kid in WCW.

But I did keep thinking how much better it would be with Jim Ross announcing.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
You guys, the show of the year is on traditional PPV and you have the option of Japanese commentary or Jim Ross. This is so awesome.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Fair enough.

I mean NJPW is nothing like UFC, and the point made about the blurring of face and heel divides is more that the big heel stable is now more face like. It's still professional wrestling and if you can follow a live show then you can follow the product. Yes the stories get told in the ring, but that doesn't change that stories are told, and that in turn stories are told in packages and hype videos and promos. I'm honestly not trying to tell you how to watch the show, just that most of your concerns aren't something that I think really applies to the product and are just misconceptions about the product.

It still has good guys and bad guys, and its pretty obvious which is which.

Yeah, the main blurriness game from the gradual turn of Nakamura and Okada's stable CHAOS. Over a two year period they gradually turned from heel to tweener and then essentially face when the last two heel members defected to the heel groups (Yujiro to Bullet Club and Iizuka to Suzuki-gun).

Now it's pretty cut and dry. Bullet Club, Suzuki-gun, and the NWA are heels and and you're supposed to like basically everyone else. One difference though between NJPW and WWE is that New Japan has no issues booking face vs. face and heel vs. heel matches. This results in stuff like Tanahashi occasionally working subtle heel against other ultra popular guys like Okada and Nakamura but he's still a super face.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Yeah, the main blurriness game from the gradual turn of Nakamura and Okada's stable CHAOS. Over a two year period they gradually turned from heel to tweener and then essentially face when the last two heel members defected to the heel groups (Yujiro to Bullet Club and Iizuka to Suzuki-gun).

Now it's pretty cut and dry. Bullet Club, Suzuki-gun, and the NWA are heels and and you're supposed to like basically everyone else. One difference though between NJPW and WWE is that New Japan has no issues booking face vs. face and heel vs. heel matches. This results in stuff like Tanahashi occasionally working subtle heel against other ultra popular guys like Okada and Nakamura but he's still a super face.

And perhaps more importantly, the matches don't suffer from that dynamic. WWE matches where it's heel vs heel or face vs face have a tendency to be unremarkable.

Yet Minoru Suzuki vs AJ Styles was heel vs heel (although maybe not from the perspective of a Japanese fan). And it might well be MOTY.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
in fairness the probably consensus WWE MOTY was heels vs heels

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

Didn't Shield turn face in February?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spermgod posted:

I'd almost forgotten about the Wyatt Family vs the Shield. That is an exception to the rule, though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And perhaps more importantly, the matches don't suffer from that dynamic. WWE matches where it's heel vs heel or face vs face have a tendency to be unremarkable.

Yet Minoru Suzuki vs AJ Styles was heel vs heel (although maybe not from the perspective of a Japanese fan). And it might well be MOTY.

It's more of a scale than a firm divide in NJPW. Suzuki-gun is heel against all other factions but face against Bullet Club.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tonfa posted:

It's more of a scale than a firm divide in NJPW. Suzuki-gun is heel against all other factions but face against Bullet Club.

except during the G1 when AJ Styles got the crowd behind him in a match with Minoru. Hell they even popped huge when the Bullet Club interfered to chase off Suzuki-gun

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Lmfao

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

A picture with more of AJ's face visible may have been wise.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Art by Parking Lot Carnivals, LLC.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Could I have an av size version of carnival JR?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Original airbrushed van JR.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
http://robschamberger.com/store/paintings/

guy does a really good job emulating the '15 year old dicking around with photoshop filters' aesthetic

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Original airbrushed van JR.

BAH GAWD, GIVE ME YOUR ENERGY SO AH CAN DEFEAT FREEZER AND KING COLD KING COLD KING COLD!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I don't have a PC so if someone could make an av of that I'd be grateful.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I don't have a PC so if someone could make an av of that I'd be grateful.

BAH GAWD!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you very much. GFW is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Thank you very much. GFW is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
Missed your chance at making it super weeb. "As Kami-san as my witness that otoko is broken in hanbun-desu!!"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Why did you put a IZ in it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
GFW's graphics team is killing it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

By graphics team you mean Jarrett in his bedroom with a pirated copy of Photoshop.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

I'm sure even Jarrett would not be stupid enough to use a promo poster from WK8 to promote Wrestle Kingdom 9.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MRT don't lie you made that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

MRT don't lie you made that

I would never deceive you.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
you forgot to add in jarrett on a horse and a guitar, that would seal the deal

e; every time I see that JR drawing I crack up

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

Missed your chance at making it super weeb. "As Kami-san as my witness that otoko is broken in hanbun-desu!!"

That's only when JR goes SS2. God, someone needs to catch up on their GFW canon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He'd probably be a better choice than whoever else they're talking to.

• Locked thread