Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
All of the positive things people are saying about May's character have little to do with her not really being allowed to emote. Ming Na has been in other stuff, so we know she's not robotic in real life. Writing a character who doesn't really emote is generally not a good idea unless they are a robot or an alien.

May is a defective LMD of a Kree, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Aika posted:

As someone who loves procedurals (and is not ashamed), let me give you a rundown of what I remember.

The NCIS franchise have badass women with senses of humor (see Zhiva from the mothership, and Kenzi from Los Angeles). Zhiva specifically had a lot of personal development over the years and is stoic, but not emotionless.
Person of Interest has the trope played straight (Shaw), but also Det. Carter (a normal person who happens to have been a badass military interrogator) and Root (Root is basically Fox Mulder turned up to 11 but chasing after Neurmancer instead of aliens)
Fringe had Olivia Dunham from both universe A and B, both having different personalities, neither of which (excluding the begining of season 1 and first half of season 4) are emotionless.
Arrow obviously has Sarah Lance, who is a total badass and relatively human.
Law and Order's ADAs usually fall into this trope in all of the shows, but stand outs who had personality and emotions were ADA Abbie Carmichael (played by Angie Harmon) and ADA Alexandra Cabot (played by Stephanie March)

Thanks for this.

I dunno. I just feel that the May character could be a 100 times better if they actually let her be human in addition to everything else they are doing. They've shown glimmers of hope, especially when she and Coulson went undercover to the party. I just wish that May could be that human all of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys have issues.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's genre television. On a team of spies, one of them is going to be a quiet badass. If it were Triplett or Mac, all we'd hear about, and rightfully so, is how cliche it is for a big, black dude to be intimidatingly stoic. Is May more fun when everyone's terrified of her fake laughter and we get glimpses of who she is when she's not being a professional? Sure. But that's not how it works. The rest of the team is more or less willing to let their guards down around each other, while May is resistant at best, and those fleeting moments we're shown of who she might be when she's not on the clock are more enjoyable because of the contrast that's presented.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One of the benefits of television over film is that you don't have to cram all of your characterization into ninety to one-hundred and twenty minutes. You can play the long game. You can tease out a character's inner emotions and motivations over weeks, seasons, or even years. In fact, the longer you build up the character, the more satisfying the eventual reveal.

May has already shown herself to be more than just a one-dimensional stoic cardboard cutout. Despite a very rocky start, this show has generated enough good will in me of late to give it the benefit of the doubt in terms of their long-term plans for May.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Agents of SHIELD is not so dense with quality material that it really makes sense to excuse leaving a major character as so one-dimensional into the second season as them just taking their time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or, on the other hand, it is.

I'm not saying ABC's Marvel's Agents of Shield is high art or anything, but they've shown that they're willing to take their time (sometimes to the active detriment of the show) and set things up far in advance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

to the active detriment of the show

Yes, this is what I'm saying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, this is what I'm saying.

And yet the slow build up ended up paying off. This is a good show now with storylines from back at the beginning of the show paying off now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

And yet the slow build up ended up paying off. This is a good show now with storylines from back at the beginning of the show paying off now.

Eh, everything we got at the end of season 1 would have been just as exciting in episode 8. The show has improved, but not in a way that retroactively makes the early episodes better or more necessary, except for the unfortunate requirement of timing things up with the films.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Nah. They could have easily cut out most of the episodes and you wouldn't have missed much.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it's more that the episodes around those plot points could have been more interesting, but we're getting into semantics. This seems like it's just a fundamental disagreement. I (and others in this thread, I guess) like May. I like that they're taking it slow with her character instead of just infodumping her no doubt tragic reasons for being distant. I think that the gradual approach will be more rewarding. Obviously you disagree. What more is there to discuss, really?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My point was that she's one-dimensional, with my dislike of this being a secondary concern. We seem to agree about the primary point, and just have a different reaction to that due to you being more willing for the show to save some reveals for later in the run. I'm fine leaving it there.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 16, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think she is one dimensional. The characterization is subtle and sparing, but it's there. Her warming up to Skye and playing pranks hint at more than just an emotionally stunted badass.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I wouldn't call her emotionally stunted. She's emotionally restrained, as part and parcel of her bland rendition of the badass spy stereotype.

She is, perhaps, two-dimensional: badass spy as mother figure. But she's neither a complexly-motivated character nor an enigma where the questions about her are particularly interesting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Every character on the show is some permutation of two-dimensional, though. They're all well-worn stereotypes seen through a pithy, pop-culture obsessed, Whedonian lens. It's a television show based on comic books, I'd be disappointed if it were any other way. Right now May's character is the well-established constant that will eventually be subverted once we get around to having a few May-centric episodes that explore her background and motivations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Coulson is a rigidly organized intelligence officer who believes that people can strive to embody a greater ideal, which he defines both through the history of his professional and his admiration of actual larger-than-life heroes like Captain America: rigidly organized, covert operative, idealist, historically minded, hero worshipper. Only one of these is a skillset or profession.

Ward is an emotionally damaged double agent that defines himself through his loyalty to another, in a specific attempt to replace the flawed caretaker that was his older brother.

And so on.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And May is a fiercely loyal, emotionally walled-off but secretly compassionate badass with an (also secret) penchant for practical jokes and a cavalier attitude towards sexual relations. I mean...stuff is there.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Everything there but what's covered by motherly badass is something she does, not something about who she is as a person. Like, I didn't mention that Coulson likes gadgets, but rather his ideals and what he admires.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but Coulson's the main character and has the added benefit of having been in several movies. Most of the other characters are much less defined as well.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That's fair. I was never trying to suggest that May was the only lousy character on the show. But the point remains that not every character on the show is some permutation of two-dimensional.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Coulson is the best fleshed-out two-dimensional character on the show, but he's still two-dimensional. He's bascially a combination of "supportive father figure" and "competent g-man" stereotypes with some "embarrassingly enthusiastic fanboy" thrown in for spice. We have no background on him. We don't know why he is any of the things he is.

And being thinly characterized doesn't make any of the characters "lousy". In-depth characterization isn't what Agents of SHIELD is about. It's an action/comic book show. It's about whiz-bang action and badass stereotypes. It's certainly not The Wire.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

"supportive father figure" and "competent g-man" stereotypes with some "embarrassingly enthusiastic fanboy" thrown in

This is three things. And leaves out his idealism. And his whole alien-blood-obsessiveness thing.

Phylodox posted:

It's certainly not The Wire.

You don't have to tell me.

But, more relevantly, neither is it The X-Files or Fringe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is three things. And leaves out his idealism. And his whole alien-blood-obsessiveness thing.

The alien blood thing wasn't a character facet, it was a plot point. One which has now been resolved.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The alien blood thing wasn't a character facet, it was a plot point. One which has now been resolved.

It was a plot point that affected his character. And, also: the other stuff I said.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was a plot point that affected his character. And, also: the other stuff I said.

I mean..."idealism" isn't in-depth characterization, either? It's just a free-floating character aspect amongst all the other stereotypes. Phil Coulson was a tertiary character in a few Marvel movies and, as of yet, has not yet been developped much beyond that. I'm not saying they won't. I'm sure we'll get Coulson-centric episodes in the future that will explore his past and motivations. But we haven't gotten them yet.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I mean..."idealism" isn't in-depth characterization, either?

I described it in greater detail earlier, but, yes, I'm talking relative here. As you say, this isn't The Wire. But I find May to be dull even by the standards of the show she's on, which as you point out is saying something. And, as I said before, some of this is because her particular stereotype isn't one I find particularly appealing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, yeah, which brings us back to you just don't like her. Which is fine. But it's not because she's necessarily less developed relative to the other characters. She just represents a stereotype you don't care for. Which, again, is fine.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's not just that, it's the two together. I found Coulson to embody a similarly unpleasant stereotype in the movies, and early in the show, but I respect that he's developed as a character.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You two aren't going to do this all through the mid-season break are you? Coz talk about insufferable.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah you guys could've just agreed to disagree and saved yourselves like a dozen posts each.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like the conversation has reached its natural conclusion, but I think the point was less to convince each other than to come to a mutual understanding, which isn't served by agreeing to disagree.

If that doesn't make sense just let me know and I'd be happy to go back and forth about it for a page or so.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 16, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like the conversation has reached its natural conclusion, but I think the point was less to convince each other than to come to a mutual understanding, which isn't served by agreeing to disagree.

If that doesn't make sense just let me know and I'd be happy to go back and forth about it for a page or so.

I think you're wrong

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

I think you're wrong

I feel I'm probably the best judge of what I would or would not be happy to do, but I'm open to opposing arguments.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I skipped through the last two pages and I didn't miss anything.

So how bout that Ward? P kewl dude, right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strabo4 posted:

I skipped through the last two pages and I didn't miss anything.

So how bout that Ward? P kewl dude, right?

I dunno man, I think he shot that dog

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm willing to wager that Ward has shot a dog at some point in his life, probably.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
It was just a Life Model Decoy of the actual dog, who is still alive but very, very, very old.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I thought he shot May and hosed the dog?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Error 404 posted:

I thought he shot May and hosed the dog?

No, may shot him and he hosed her doggy style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

greatn posted:

No, may shot him and he hosed her doggy style.

please, if anything May hosed him doggy style

• Locked thread